Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
No time to read posts today - off to Paddington in a few minutes. Bitterly cold day here in London - hope it is warmer in Frome! I will be back on the system tomorrow night. All the best to everyone. Rosie
Have a jolly good trip
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sentosa
After 15 years in Florida we are going home, the house here is up for sale just need to sell then U.K here we come. I love Florida but DH and I will both be 65 in 2011 and we simply cannot afford the medical, we haven't enough points to get medicare and although we are both in good health at the moment, the prospect of something major happening is scary. We really are looking forward to returning home, all our family are still in the U.K. and we can't wait for the day to come. Yet another adventure for us.
I have been reading through some of the posts and there is lots of info for me to go through.I am making notes as I go through the posts on things like shipping, tax etc. plenty to keep me busy.

Good luck to you both.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
Nice couple Don!

Now how did you get to post that picture? We need more pictures on here.
Care to share?

Cheers
Easy really, Type your post, DO NOT CLICK SUBMIT_ then scroll down BELOW where you click ''submit reply''. to where it says ''manage attachments'', sort what you want from your files,click on it, and then click ''load'', and come back to the ''Submit reply'' and send it. it will then send the photo with it. dontheturner
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I owned my own Health Care Agency, started it with $250 in my account and at the end of the second year we were doing $1.2 million dollars of business. First mistake was taking on a partner second was getting involved with a financial advisor that was recommended by my brother.
Oh, well it was only money, she says with a angry look in her eye

Will be getting Wee Mac close to Christmas I think, he is growing and is already a month old, he is eating on his own and growling and bugging his brothers and sister. I will have time to stay home with him over the holidays and will be finding a dog walker to take him out once a day. They cost about £6, and I know that sounds like a lot, but the amount of joy he willbring me until my other guys get here, you just can't measure with money.

Today I am going horse back riding for an hour or two, it is lovely and sunny so looking forward to enjoying it. Hope Rod is settling in to his new life back in UK and that everyone else is doing well, bye for now

Hello Ed.
I'm Impressed, 1.2 Million is a real Biz, I do feel for you being ripped off like that, some people are SCUM, there are so many scammers around and they are pretty smart, I just wish them the worst luck in the world, cos thats all they deserve, Its one thing to earn money, its another to hang on to it. huhhhhh... still you hold your head up high and move on, Good for you.
Now it seems great that you finished up in the healthcare industry... Wonderful.

I'm not a fan of financial planners but Ive never had enough money to need one.

Partners in Biz, Id find that hard too, because sometimes I feel very strongly about something, maybe its a gut feeling, even so Id find it difficult to do something against my better judgement, you cant change that logic.

Wee Mac thats a great name, I have a feeling you will call him Mac for short, My Mum had a dog called Mac as a Child.

Horse riding, thats what I like to hear, someone thats living the dream, Good on yer, I hope it was Fun...

Best Wishes as always...
Old Dec 6th 2010, 8:41 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Don I'm a big fan of Greggs sausage rolls, Love Um...
me too on Greggs sausage rolls, yummy
Old Dec 6th 2010, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by J.J
me too on Greggs sausage rolls, yummy
Non - Fattening, Of course! don.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Testinghttp://britishexpats.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=97500&d=1291629137
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-uk_usa_flag-full.jpg  
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:02 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by windsong
I just remembered something!!! You have to pay tax on your U.S. social security! It also means reduced income.

I wonder if my company pension is taxable. Knowing the U.S., it probably is.

But what country's taxes would I pay on these - UK or US?
Hi Windsong, I expect you receive the US SS / pension income in full , not taxed at source - and are obligated to report it as taxable income above your personal allowance. Will post more when we start to receive US SS / pension, we not yet made our first UK / USC abroad filings,

Resident in UK, you would report any taxable amount to HMRC and then file it also to IRS claiming credit for foreign taxes paid.
A useful strategy seems to file extension for US then can file UK first and then make any foreign claims on the extended US filing.

But if it not above Personal Allowance there is zero to report and zero tax taken - I hope that is the case
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:05 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
I really don't believe that last bit, one iota - You are a very understanding person, whereas, i get a bit above myself sometimes - you should hear me, just ranting about Thai Drivers! - (Tim is typical Thai, never ever argues, just wins in the end. (They are very placid people - sound your horn at them, and they do not hear it.)
Better luck with the next viewers, - We need you soon, so Rod, myself, you and ED can all meet up & try the Greggs sausage rolls -. ( snow will be gone) Dontheturner
Hang on - what's this? A private party at Greggs Bakery??
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:09 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Strange you should mention Malta. At my temp job, there is a woman there who is Maltese - well, she is of Maltese heritage but first generation born in this country (USA). She says she is always considering going to live in Malta. She has lots of family there and visits regularly so she is in somewhat a different position than me.
Wind, you really need to get into reading the back posts on here, Anna (AES) was on the very first page here, she is English and has gone from living in the USA to Malta via the UK.

You will most likely find answers to your questions and worries too, never mind reading books, start from TT's post one and we will see you in about a week.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:10 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I stayed up till almost 2 cleaning and hoovering and doing those last minute things. All turned out for nothing those people came in and at most spent 5 minutes in the house and then left. I put out coffee and cookies. How do I know how long they spent I put a recorder in a basket with pine cones on top. They had another 9 houses to look at

What did I learn from listening to the recording, when you sign up an estate agent ask them to walk around the house with you ask them to point out the good areas of the house and ask them what they know about your house from looking at the information on it. I have decided that ours knows didly squaq about ours. She was vague and when asked a couple of questions did not know the answers. So next time we hire an estate agent I shall make sure that they know my house inside out every detail of it I dont care how many others they have to sell. They are getting paid to sell mine.
I am in a bad mood as I am really sick my head is pounding and I cannot swallow. My husband brought me a round of toast this morning and I didnt realize how bad my throat was, when the toast went down it was like glass cutting the sides of my throat
So once again its a no on the house. Still it looks very nice

I get about 40 pounds a week pension from the UK. But I stopped working at about 30 and then worked on and off till we left when I was 36.

My niece gets her food delivered and then just goes into town to buy veg and food she wants from Marks and Spencers. I bought my Mum one of those carts on wheels you would have thought I had told her she was going in a nursing home. She went beserk. Told me I should use it. But she did keep it and years later she did use it.

Windsong. We get grey squirrels here in the NE and a few Red. Some of the grey squirrels are as big as a small cat. In the UK they have had trouble with the grey squirrels they are trying to increase the amount of red squirrels. I like the squirrels but not when they are emptying my bird feeders.
I cannot believe you put a recorder in a basket LOL!!

But well done for doing that, at least you know where you stand......do you have Plan B worked out yet?
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:13 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Just to cheer you up, Here is a shot of me with My Thai Wife, Tippawan (Tim) , love Don
What a beautiful lady.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:14 am
Home Sweet Home

Don I'm a big fan of Greggs sausage rolls, Love Um...
I am more the meat and potatoe pastie, or Cornish pastie type meself.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:17 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
No time to read posts today - off to Paddington in a few minutes. Bitterly cold day here in London - hope it is warmer in Frome! I will be back on the system tomorrow night. All the best to everyone. Rosie
See you tomorrow Rosie, hope the trains are running well.........

I was reading some old posts yesterday and saw how ED/Peigi had picked up some great bargains in auctions and remembered there is an auction house in Frome, can't remember the name of it, but it is up near the back of that old St Johns Church.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:19 am
Home Sweet Home

Hello Ed.
I'm Impressed, 1.2 Million is a real Biz, I do feel for you being ripped off like that, some people are SCUM, there are so many scammers around and they are pretty smart, I just wish them the worst luck in the world, cos thats all they deserve, Its one thing to earn money, its another to hang on to it. huhhhhh... still you hold your head up high and move on, Good for you.
Now it seems great that you finished up in the healthcare industry... Wonderful.

I'm not a fan of financial planners but Ive never had enough money to need one.

Partners in Biz, Id find that hard too, because sometimes I feel very strongly about something, maybe its a gut feeling, even so Id find it difficult to do something against my better judgement, you cant change that logic.

Wee Mac thats a great name, I have a feeling you will call him Mac for short, My Mum had a dog called Mac as a Child.

Horse riding, thats what I like to hear, someone thats living the dream, Good on yer, I hope it was Fun...

Best Wishes as always...
Great reply to Peigi, I wondered if she was suing that so called Financial Advisor, God it makes you sick when you think of people just ripping others off with no conscience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.