Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 27th 2009, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Thanks Kiwi and Boodles for the info on pensions...this info definitely helps!
Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Happy belated Thanksgiving, my husband and I used to go down to US for Thanksgiving and Fourth of July, we always enjoyed those holidays so much. I am sure you already know but just wanted to make sure, after the blood test you have to wait 6 months before doggie can go to UK.
Although I am sure you are disappointed in regards to taking house off the market, it might be a good thing as sometimes it is looked as a new listing by those who are looking to buy.
Do you know if your mom had to apply for the bonus at Christmas, as that would certainly help at this time of the year. Keep your chin up things will come to a good conclusion very soon and you will be on your way back home. Enjoy the holidays.
Originally Posted by trottytrue
dotb.. Sorry I did not reply sooner been a little bit busy with Thanksgiving and also a little bit depressed as OH took the house off the market for the winter To answer your question no I am not from Australia and I have not returned to the UK yet. I left the Uk when I was in my late thirties and had worked for nearly 20years I do get a pension from the UK but I am not entitled to one from the US as I did not work long enough to get the right amount of credits. I do get part of my husbands pension so that sorts that out.

Easterndawn. Belated Happy Birthday. So glad everything is going well for you. In no time at all your OH and doggy will be with you. Has anyone mentioned that you may be entitled to a Christmas bonus. I know my Mum got it I forget how much it was but also the town sent out Christmas baskets to low income families.

Whoever put the information about the QE that was very good. If we ever sell the house I may well take that route back home. My dog is being fixed next week and having a chip put in at the same time. In the early part of next year I will get the other blood work done so she will be ready.

I have not heard back from the US regarding my citizenship. That cost $675 just to apply but it did say that it will only take 3months.

I have many boxes stored up in the attic I will be taking back just those things I really love. When you store things away you realize that they are not that important to you. I will be taking back my books although I did thin them out and am thinking of selling the rest on Ebay. Give me something to do instead of feeling sorry for myself.
I am not taking back alot of furniture. Our bed would be too big for a UK bedroom and the sofa the same. I have already give alot to local charities but each time a take another look I find more things I dont want.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Happy belated Thanksgiving, my husband and I used to go down to US for Thanksgiving and Fourth of July, we always enjoyed those holidays so much. I am sure you already know but just wanted to make sure, after the blood test you have to wait 6 months before doggie can go to UK.
Although I am sure you are disappointed in regards to taking house off the market, it might be a good thing as sometimes it is looked as a new listing by those who are looking to buy.
Do you know if your mom had to apply for the bonus at Christmas, as that would certainly help at this time of the year. Keep your chin up things will come to a good conclusion very soon and you will be on your way back home. Enjoy the holidays.
Another thought ED, they do the heating allowance in winter too, My Mom said that she gets about $200 each winter for heating. Check it out
Theres a note and link at the top of the page here
Old Nov 27th 2009, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Another thought ED, they do the heating allowance in winter too, My Mom said that she gets about $200 each winter for heating. Check it out
Theres a note and link at the top of the page here
The Christmas bonus & winter fuel payment are payable to people who receive retirement pensions, so those under 60 do not qualify. Sorry folks.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Well fortunately or unfortunately I am still a few years away from 60, so know good for me either.
Originally Posted by GagainPEI
The Christmas bonus & winter fuel payment are payable to people who receive retirement pensions, so those under 60 do not qualify. Sorry folks.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 4:02 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Well fortunately or unfortunately I am still a few years away from 60, so know good for me either.
Sorry I'm rushin you into old age
Old Nov 28th 2009, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thats okay I've been rushed into many things but I think I will take it a little slower for this.
Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Sorry I'm rushin you into old age
Old Nov 29th 2009, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

londonjakey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by magistrate
Hi Again,
hit a snag re us returning to the UK in 2 weeks .We need to hire a car a couple of days after we arrive but when I look at the car rental companies in the town we are staying in the uk they need a credit card ,we do not have one in the USA as we gave it up a year ago and although we have a bank account in the UK we do not have a debit or credit card and it would probably take too long to get a card processed before we need the vehicle .Any ideas please .
Pay cash
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:16 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
I agree with the making the most of life. It's one reason we got up and did something. We're in our early sixties, but we'll be in our seventies faster than we think and none of us can tell when we'll slow down, become more nervous, or develop health problems that really get in the way. Now's probably the best time we'll ever have for making changes, having adventures, taking some risks. So we are.

We're not looking for family to care for us -- what family we have in the UK is mostly older! Just enjoying life as best we can.

Bev
An inspiring attitude,good on you
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Everyone,
Well it's finally stopped raining here but now it looks like we are going to get proper winter weather here now. Last week was one of those weeks when it seems to go on for ever and you don't have the energy or ambition to do anything, not sure if it was the weather or just the week after birthday.

On Saturday went to the pub in Kilmaurs, was surprised when I got there as suddenly everyone started to sing Happy Birthday, my husband had called them to let them know it was my birthday. It was a lovely evening, decided to get tickets to the Hogmanay evening there rather than sitting by myself, can get home after midnight and still wish my husband a Happy New Year at midnight.

Last Wednesday my landlady's wee dog decided to visit, which is something he never does, he stayed on the couch with his head on my lap for 4 hours, it was lovely, reminded me of my little one back home. I firmly believe that animals know what your feeling and react to it.

I also have school renunion to look forward to on January 8th, back in my hometown of Coylton, really looking forward to it. Life has begun to take shape, with small things making me realize that this is home and that this was the proper decision to make. I have been here for over 2 months now, and my husband and I have been comparing our grocery bills and it has become very clear that most grocery items are less expensive here than back in Canada. It costs him evey week about $100.00 per week for groceries, for very similar groceries, it cost me £30 to £35 pound. We are both purchasing approximately the same items, with a few differences, many of the items he is purchasing are non brand names while mine are brand names that I reconize.

Also want to wish a Happy St. Andrews Day to everyone, and a wish that those who are looking at being back in Scotland be able to celebrate it here next year.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Nov 30th 2009 at 8:44 am.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

ED- glad that you had a nice birthday and are settling into UK life!

You are right about animals- they are very sensitive to human moods and feelings!!

Well -looks like we will be staying a bit longer after all- on my birthday I got a phone call to say that I had got the job I had been for! So new things to learn and more exams to take!

I will keep looking in to see what you are up to!!

xx
Old Dec 1st 2009, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Rodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to all

Hi, E.D.

Glad you had a nice birthday, and things are picking up for you again. I was wondering what you have found on the whole, regarding the job situation in Scotland, do you feel the situation is really bad? or is there still work available? ask my Father who lives in Scotland and according to him it's all Doom and Gloom
Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

No, I do think there are jobs available in UK, but just as most countries when you reach a certain age you have to promote yourself, your education and your experience in a more active way. For myself I have sent out many CV's and have had a few interviews and through these interviews, I have realized that is that some of the experience I have listed in my CV is either not relavent to UK, or future employers don't have a reference point for it. So it is sometimes like learning a new language. With each interview I have tailored my CV to reflect my experience in ways that can be understood by UK employers.

I don't think that UK is any worse off than most of the countries going through this recession, what people have to realize that UK has over 60 million residents to deal with where as Canada has just over 30 million residents, our infastructure is many hundreds of years old and so needs constant upgrading, Canada is just over 200 years old with many of there infrastructures being less than 50 years old. For myself, I believe that once I am truly established, have a decent job (not necessarily a high paying position), purchase a good used car, we will be able to live a comfortable life. We have no plans to purchase a house, as rental properties are in general very good. I am much more optimistic here than I was in Canada about our future.
Originally Posted by Rodfan
Hi, E.D.

Glad you had a nice birthday, and things are picking up for you again. I was wondering what you have found on the whole, regarding the job situation in Scotland, do you feel the situation is really bad? or is there still work available? ask my Father who lives in Scotland and according to him it's all Doom and Gloom

Last edited by Easterndawn; Dec 1st 2009 at 7:48 am.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

eastkilbride has a brilliant futureeastkilbride has a brilliant futureeastkilbride has a brilliant futureeastkilbride has a brilliant futureeastkilbride has a brilliant futureeastkilbride has a brilliant futureeastkilbride has a brilliant future

Having lived in Canada for the past 20 years, and visiting back to Scotland every year for the past 10 years, I feel you can't say Scotland is better than Canada, or vise versa. Each country has its good and bad points. To succeed, and have a comfortable life in either country, it is up to you to make the effort to achieve your goals. However, being a "Go Getter" like you ED, I am confident your success and contentment will soon be achieved.
I would not be at all surprised if the hotel we are going to have a meal in, "The Cotton Mill" in Kilmarnock, you will OWN it by next May, lol
Old Dec 1st 2009, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, done that once, well not that particular one, but not going down that road again. I agree with you about Scotland versus Canada, these were just my personal thoughts and not those of the TV station I am enjoying being back though. On Saturday was given by a friend a tube of black pudding from Stormaway, it is suppose to be the best in Scotland, took it out of the fridge this morning, looked at it and said to my self not today old thing. Will have to get my courage up to at least try it, loved it as a child, but then I did not know what it was made off then
Originally Posted by eastkilbride
Having lived in Canada for the past 20 years, and visiting back to Scotland every year for the past 10 years, I feel you can't say Scotland is better than Canada, or vise versa. Each country has its good and bad points. To succeed, and have a comfortable life in either country, it is up to you to make the effort to achieve your goals. However, being a "Go Getter" like you ED, I am confident your success and contentment will soon be achieved.
I would not be at all surprised if the hotel we are going to have a meal in, "The Cotton Mill" in Kilmarnock, you will OWN it by next May, lol

Last edited by Easterndawn; Dec 1st 2009 at 7:10 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.