Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Do you know, I still have the knitting and crochet patterns I brought with me over 30 years ago. It would be hell or high water before I would ever part with those. Those are my memories. They were printed in the UK. I made up most of them in the UK. They are part of home I am and are very much treasured, even though they are 30 years old - and, do you know, that as old as they are, they are better patterns than many I find here, so they will be returning to the UK with me
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I have been to the UK yankee site, and found them to be very negative, most having nothing good to say about England, Most of them seemed to be in or around London, and seemed to think that was all there was to England. They seem arrogant, if its not the American way of doing things then we are heathens..that really annoys me because lets face it..we have been doing things for a lot longer than they have..lol
Jackie
Not all Americans feel that way. I work with a young woman whose aunt married a Brit almost 30 years ago. She moved to England has lived outside London for almost 30 years - she loves it there and would not move back to the US. She comes back for vacation and tries to get over for Thanksgiving every other year, but that's it. I also know someone here who married an Irish man and moved to Galway and she loves living there. So not all Americans feel that way. Also what about Denise (DDL) who posts on here - she loves England too and moved back there with her British husband a few months ago. If you're out there Denise, let us know how you are doing.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
You wouldnt get disability if you qualified for your SS thats what you would get.
Thank you. I think I understand now.

This forum is priceless - honestly!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I agree with this statement actually - arrogant and materialistic.
UK Yankees:
I thought it was just me! Nice to have support in my opinion of that forum.
In fairness about half of them say they love the UK and would never move back to the US. Some when they go to visit their family in the US say they can't get back to the UK soon enough.
I love Carolyn, (Mrs Robinson). She loves Leeds where she lives. Thinks it's the centre of the universe. I think she hates the US and especially the health and wealth system. She is a very compassionate person and of course is a moderator. I'm pretty sure she's from Ohio originally and divorced twice in the US and now happily married to a Geordie.

To be clear, about half of them I don't care for for maybe the same reasons you have stated.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Not all Americans feel that way. I work with a young woman whose aunt married a Brit almost 30 years ago. She moved to England has lived outside London for almost 30 years - she loves it there and would not move back to the US. She comes back for vacation and tries to get over for Thanksgiving every other year, but that's it. I also know someone here who married an Irish man and moved to Galway and she loves living there. So not all Americans feel that way. Also what about Denise (DDL) who posts on here - she loves England too and moved back there with her British husband a few months ago. If you're out there Denise, let us know how you are doing.
No not all I agree. I was talking about the Americans on the UK yankee site..seems to be where they go to complain.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it would be somewhat of a relief to leave behind car ownership. For myself, though, I do like those Sunday afternoon rides in the countryside - somewhere new every weekend. Stop at a new cafe along the way. We used to do this every Sunday when I lived in Scotland. We'd often drive from Edinburgh down to the borders. I used to sew all my own clothes and loved to go to the mill outlet in the borders to pick up a yard or two of good fabric. It was like a mini-holiday every weekend If I don't have access to a car, I'm not sure how I would do that. I love the trains but you usually have to take a bus or taxi at the other end to get to exactly where you want to go.
Did you see those websites I posted about the car clubs where you can take a car for an hour or day. They are just sitting there on the street and you have a magnetic card that you swip and it opens the car and you are on your way, insurance and petrol is included. I think they would be ideal for you.
I'm in conflict on the UK car issue because there are too many on the road as it is and I would end up being another one. I get exasperated when I'm in traffic jams. I remember being on motorways south of Bristol and nothing was moving. I don't want to live that way. Where I live now there are no traffic jams.
The big thing is owning a car is a big hole in your pocket. You can't control your expenses and if you were to compare the costs in the UK with what you paid in the US you will be depressed. Nice luxury though!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
So back to moving back to the UK..

How about this immaculate home in Pembrokshire. It is a little out of our (forum) upper price range but I think I could be happy there

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28042714.html

Many of you have said you like this area.
Was just looking at older posts and found this one by Cheers. That's a nice house, Cheers. I am surprised how similar it looks to a U.S. house. We had a beautiful home when I was growing up. It had 8 rooms and looked what I call "gothic" from the outside However, I didn't see ANY newer houses when I lived there. Any new ones were what used to be the council houses and council flats. Oddly, one of my friends I went to uni with lives in a newer house, again very much like the U.S. houses. It's even detached. She sent me a photo to let me see how much snow they have had. How do you upload a photo here? I tried but it wants a URL and it is sitting on my desktop
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Did you see those websites I posted about the car clubs where you can take a car for an hour or day. They are just sitting there on the street and you have a magnetic card that you swip and it opens the car and you are on your way, insurance and petrol is included. I think they would be ideal for you.
I'm in conflict on the UK car issue because there are too many on the road as it is and I would end up being another one. I get exasperated when I'm in traffic jams. I remember being on motorways south of Bristol and nothing was moving. I don't want to live that way. Where I live now there are no traffic jams.
The big thing is owning a car is a big hole in your pocket. You can't control your expenses and if you were to compare the costs in the UK with what you paid in the US you will be depressed. Nice luxury though!
Cheers, you know I did see that post, but I have lost it now. I must have got sidetracked with another post. I need to log those sites you listed, too.

Yes, something like that would be perfect for me so long as the cost doesn't outweight he cost of actually owning a car. I heard second-hand cars over there are pretty inexpensive but I have no idea what the expenses of owning one cost.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

We are not typical, but I would say our food bill has gone up about 25-30% since moving here compared to when we were both in the US together. I do, however, buy things like meat from an independent butcher and have to cater to my husband's need for junk food in his lunch (something I never included in the grocery bill at home).

Some things are a lot cheaper. Cable's cheaper. The phone bill's cheaper. Internet's cheaper. Electric's not. Heating is about the same, but it's not as cold here. So yeah, heating is probably more per unit. You also have to factor in things like the fact you won't need to pay for insurance. You won't be covered by Medicare here, so there's no sense in continuing to pay for it.

The above is a quote from an American who moved to the UK and I thought Rodney would like to know. There are different views on costs from different people. I picked this one out because of the reference to the phone and internet expenses.
I've been reading through older posts

What do you mean you wouldn't be covered by Medicare in the UK. What do we do if we get sick? Are we automatically covered by the NI as soon as we get there then? I still have my card. My mother used to tell me to throw it away. I told her, "Never! One day, and I don't know when, I WILL go back home." And I will!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

I read someone said go back to the UK in the spring when everything looks good. But since you go back, in November, it will only get better as time goes on. My take is I will be so happy to be there no matter what the season is.

I also think of the worse case scenario. Cold, raining, dark, wind blowing, raining, freezing cold, dark, dismal and raining. Then Rod if that happens to you when you are waiting for the bus reach into your coat pocket and feel that return ticket back to the US....Narrrrr. Think of that blazing simmering heat in Las Vegas and say I'm glad I'm home. No Target or Walmart but I have the security of living in England. Prices maybe high but you need less. You don't need to spend to justify living there.

Rod do you have any siblings in the UK?

Your mother must be thrilled that you are coming home!

It is very common to meet people in the UK who don't understand where your coming from mentally by coming back to live in the good old UK. I think it has been mentioned that the British people are always complaining. They don't know how good they have it!

Rod, save me looking back at the postings, are you going to Bournemouth or Portsmouth?

Cheers Mate!
So true! The girlfriends I went to uni with and with whom I am back in touch, told me I should rethink going back to the UK because things are bad there. What they don't know is how bad it is here and how the rich are thieving from the middle and working classes in one form or another so that we can barely survive, if at all.

I think when you have been gone so long you see things from a different perspective. The peace of mind they all have is something they don't really recognize because they've always had it and, for myself, I'd almost give my right arm to have it.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Was just looking at older posts and found this one by Cheers. That's a nice house, Cheers. I am surprised how similar it looks to a U.S. house. We had a beautiful home when I was growing up. It had 8 rooms and looked what I call "gothic" from the outside However, I didn't see ANY newer houses when I lived there. Any new ones were what used to be the council houses and council flats. Oddly, one of my friends I went to uni with lives in a newer house, again very much like the U.S. houses. It's even detached. She sent me a photo to let me see how much snow they have had. How do you upload a photo here? I tried but it wants a URL and it is sitting on my desktop
Hey I was going to ask the same thing! Aren't you are guro?
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charleygirl
My take on sheltered housing is that it has a warden, the ones I have seen from outside are flats, with a garden that the tennents pay for upkeep. housing21 scheme is available to over 55s and the rents are bit cheaper I think, some I have seen are as low as 65 pounds a week.
I dont think it i somewhere for me to go to but if nothing else it is an option and couple of places I have looked at have vacancies.
Myself I want to be able to work and rent a flat somewhere not in a warden controlled place. But that is down the road. I saw a lovely 2 bedroom bungalow yesterday but it is 550 pounds a calendar month, it is near my home and over looks farmers fields......now if my mum would move in with me with her pension and anything i could earn we could probably do it.
Denise posted a sticky about housing schemes with links etc, that is how I found it. Its says for the elderly but I dont consider 55 as elderly.....hahaha
http://www.housing21.co.uk/
You can search a by county.
I just looked at that Housing21 site. It says you can have pets but that they are not to be replaced. What? Ridiculous! If something where ever to happen to any of my pets, I would certainly get another. I am not over the hill yet!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

He is the list again for Windsong.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
No you can't all come it'll be full in no time, but you can all visit me, we'll have a picnic on the beach
I think I saw that one furnished Don, you've got me looking now too, it was in Rhos on sea, a nice place with a couple of streets of shops and a beach, not far from some bigger towns. I think it might have been a holiday let at some point and they got fed up of change over or it didn't let often enough. It's very busy in summer and on nice sunny weekends but so quiet in winter.
Anglesey is lovely, but the locals can be a little off if you move there and have no Welsh language at all.
I'd recommend Rhos on sea, Llandudno, Deganwy, Conwy, Colwyn Bay, but not the centre of town it's got a lot of DHS on some roads, Abergele, Towyn, Pensarn, Kimmel. All easy to get around with trains and buses connecting to England.
I've been hunting for a small rental for DS, he's working near Rhyl but rents are a bit high or in a not so nice part of town. So he's communting the 30 minutes from Grandmas house.
This one is in a really nice spot
That house was lovely for that price! The price is pretty good, too for what you get.

What scares me about renting is rents go up and my social security and pension will stay the same. It's the opposite when you buy.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

He is the list again for Windsong.
Thanks, Cheers. I will bookmark them now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.