Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:46 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by quoll
LOL when I went to the loo in Sydney airport last week, the muzak was playing "let it snow" - I got on the transfer bus and the sweat was dripping off me!
We just had Nat King Cole singing "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" - I think not Nat, not in this heat LOL!!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Is Wilkinsons, Asda and Home Bargains furniture quite nice?

This sounds terrible but I came from a good family over there - beautiful home - the lot. I had a good education, came to the U.S. lost much of what I had due to the economy and a few unwise decisions. I feel as if I should return to a "beautiful home" like the one I left and I won't be able to afford it and will feel like a failure. I think this is just one of my "irrational fears" but I had to put it out "on paper". Sometimes when you do that and others comment on them, it helps them disappear. I just don't want to live the life of a bag lady.

I know it's irrational because when I am 62 (I think that's the age you start collecting) I will have my U.S. social security, along with a small pension from a former employer so I should be okay. But then, there are always exchange rate losses, etc.

Sometimes going back seems so complex that I wonder if I can ever do it.
Can you tell today is one of those "blue" days?
Hello Windsong.

I do understand where you are coming from.

I can see you are so out of touch with the UK, many of us have a good idea but I'm sure all of us will have plenty to learn once we return, Many of us are stuck in the past and I'm one of them, we yearn for the good old days, and lucky for us some of those wants are still available once we get back, even if its just a walk down the street.

It amazes me when you have no clue about Wilkinson's and Asda, that's not a knock on you, it just makes me realize that you really did cut yourself off from the UK, I've never done that, I've always wanted to go back and always tried to stay on top of info from the UK, I still bring newspapers and magazines back with me, I save them for reference (just in case) these days the internet has certainly kept me close.

You really do need to look at most web sites and stores that people mention on this thread, then you will see what's going on over there, it may even excite you as it does many of us, Most UK websites finish with either .co.uk or .com so add that to any thing you see on here or google it.
Google Currys and Comet for electrical goods.
Wilkinsons or Wilkos as most people call it is a decent cheap store, you can get all sorts of things there, its much like an Old Woolworths but not exactly.
Asda is a supermarket, (Associated Daries) Wal-mart bought them out some years ago, some of the things you see in Walmart are in Asda especially the Chinese made items, same Walmart brands in some cases. Charlie Etc...
Even the yellow smiley face.

You seem concerned about furniture, go to the sites Don and I gave you a week ago.

We all have fears, None of us know what is going to happen to us over in the UK or here for that matter, we all have plans, but Life is full of uncertainty, you like most of us are trying to figure this out, Will I be able to afford this and that, can I make ends meet etc, you have a certain life you have been accustomed too, you have expectations, we all do.

You say you have no friends or family over there so there is no one to judge you unlike some of us, Of course you can be disappointed in yourself, but what good does that do, Life is full of ups and downs you just have to try your best, what more can you ask of yourself?.

Only you knows your wants needs and limits, from what I've learned about you over the past few weeks I'm very sure you are in much better shape than 90% of us, Id love to be receiving the benefits you expect, I'm not being nasty, I'm really not, its a very decent amount of money.

The exchange rate changes all the time, we will just have to deal with it, its just going to be part of our future life, Take the last 30 years, the rate has been between $1 to $2 to a £1, so that's gives you an Idea what to expect if things continue as they have, of course there are no guarantees but there never was, just take your retirement amount and look at both figures, see if it works for you, we are all in the same boat, its just that some of us will have more to take back than others.

Believe me we all worry about the exchange rate, its pointless worrying about things we cant change, my best advice when you get back is to be thrifty, live well within your means, save as much as possible for a rainy day, as time goes by you will adjust accordingly.
If you really want to worry you better hope the USA stays solvent and keeps paying SS payments to people like us, that concerns me but I wont worry about it.

I say be prepared to work past 65, that way if you have to it wont be such a big deal, I expect to work well past 65, If I can afford to retire I will, it all depends on the unknown future, health, work, money etc.

Many of us have wants and needs too, we are just like you wondering what will happen, I'm already ten years late in my projected return, No kidding, I feel so far behind already, I just have to live with it and know my day will come, I'm not giving up.

You are not the only one to loose money on this economy, My savings of 20 years are less then half of what they were because I need that money to live at the moment, this bad economy has stolen from many of us, some poor souls have lost everything, not just here but in the UK.

Bag Lady, hahahaha I don't see many of those in the UK...

Just go for it like Ed has done, she could have given up many times but never did, she always comes back with a great positive attitude and that's what it takes. Gosh I wish I could learn from my words of wisdom.

I've always wanted to go back home and its always been my intentions, years ago I wanted to go back because I missed the England I love, Today I want to return because staying here looks too risky, just the cost of healthcare and the thought of going bankrupt like so many do, then there's the thought of life in a care facilty, I just can't do that, not in this Country, Id hate for my wife and I to go through that.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

It would be nice to have a car in the UK when I return but it is not necessary. The biggest inconvenience of not having one is not being able to do weekend drives to other places to sightsee but more especially having to haul groceries around from the stores to the bus stop and then during the walk to my home from the bus stop on the other end. Ugh!
For myself, I think I would still take the train to any major city but would love to have a car just for things like those sudden decision when you want to go to the beach to walk or for the grocery shop etc.. I have driven since I was 16yr, well, legally driven at 16, and I miss the independence that it gives me. I find some days the planning that I have to do to get to places is not worth the effort, so I just don't bother and stay home. I do plan to get myself a car and not to far in the future, for sure before Summer arrives, as one of my favourite pastimes is packing a picnic meal, getting in the car and just driving to no particular destination, it's such an adventure.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 7:35 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
For myself, I think I would still take the train to any major city but would love to have a car just for things like those sudden decision when you want to go to the beach to walk or for the grocery shop etc.. I have driven since I was 16yr, well, legally driven at 16, and I miss the independence that it gives me. I find some days the planning that I have to do to get to places is not worth the effort, so I just don't bother and stay home. I do plan to get myself a car and not to far in the future, for sure before Summer arrives, as one of my favourite pastimes is packing a picnic meal, getting in the car and just driving to no particular destination, it's such an adventure.
Yes I agree with you Peigi, the public transport is really good for the main part, but it is sometimes difficult to get to the quieter off the beaten track places and I know I missed out on quite a lot as I didn't have a car, and as you say if you have to get train, bus, train, you can't be bothered especially when you are tired from working all week.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Is Wilkinsons, Asda and Home Bargains furniture quite nice?

This sounds terrible but I came from a good family over there - beautiful home - the lot. I had a good education, came to the U.S. lost much of what I had due to the economy and a few unwise decisions. I feel as if I should return to a "beautiful home" like the one I left and I won't be able to afford it and will feel like a failure. I think this is just one of my "irrational fears" but I had to put it out "on paper". Sometimes when you do that and others comment on them, it helps them disappear. I just don't want to live the life of a bag lady.

I know it's irrational because when I am 62 (I think that's the age you start collecting) I will have my U.S. social security, along with a small pension from a former employer so I should be okay. But then, there are always exchange rate losses, etc.

Sometimes going back seems so complex that I wonder if I can ever do it.
Can you tell today is one of those "blue" days?
I do understand where you are coming from. I lived a very good life as a child here, went to private school at one point ( which I hated, so went back to local school), equestrian lessons, family holidays to Europe etc. Six years ago my husband and I had everything, we had just sold my very successful business for a lot of money which we stupidly invested with a Financial Invester company, whose owner is now awaiting trial for fraud after a 3 year search for him. Now we are starting backover again and although it would be so much easier if the d*m house would just sell.
In the end it does not really matter what they think, it means more to me that I am happy, that I raised my children to become independent and very productive adults and that I am married to a person who loves me and is willing to move from his homeland to mine. I have met up some of these women with whom I went to school with and guess what, although financially they are much better off than I, they are either in very bad marriages, their children are in rehab, not talking to them or they are already divorced and are out their trying to find their "soul mate". Are they happier than I am, I very much doubt it, they just hide it very well, filling their days with shopping, travel and drinking lots of wine, wait a minute I think I will apply for that position

Last edited by Easterndawn; Dec 5th 2010 at 8:08 am.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
None of us can turn back the clock...........we have all (most) of us made bad financial decisions of one kind or another.........let's face it if we had a million £££££££££ in the bank we wouldn't be on here endlessly talking about it, we would be on the next plane out or the QM2 and on our way and setting ourselves up in a nice cosy cottage in the Cotswolds...........but we don't so we have to do the best we can.

As you have no family over there then the only person you are losing face with because you haven't "made" it in the USA is yourself..........so you either stay where you are because it is easier to stay stuck in lots of ways, or you feel the fear and do it anyway!!

I do feel a big block to a lot of people going back home is they don't want to answer questions of family and friends - that they feel like a failure or a loser, and I know for sure that is what kept me here when we first emigrated........BIG mistake number one!!!

Nothing could be further from the truth, we who go home with very little are not failures - at least we had the courage to try it and it didn't work, so what?

We just pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down, and start all over again, I feel a song coming on.
Exactly Right Barbara, unless they have walked in our shoes they have no idea, Its not like I care what they think, well actually I do, but If they think that about me then chances are they are not people who really know me, most everyone knows my story, they know Ive always wanted to return, Im an open book, no big secrets here.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I will get SS also, but I have a few years to go until then, so hopefully i will be able to get a job..even though at my age I do worry about that too. What ever happens, either way I am going to have to start over..so as I said, my choice is there.
You may not have family Wind, but you will have a lot of friends now from this site..
Jobs, dont hang about expecting the perfect job but as long as its honest income who cares, once youve got a job it always seems like its easier to get another one.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh I see. Now I understand. I wonder which will be better for me to do - take at 62 or 65. I'd like to take it at 62, especially if I am moving to the UK then. It will be my safety blanket because I plan to work from 62-65 in the UK. My thinking is perhaps I can bank , say, 90% of my earnings and put towards buying a small home - but then I won't be able to get a small mortgage. I don't know what to do.
Windsong, I think that you need to take one day at a time although planning for your future. There are no guarentees in life, unfortunately when god was designing us he forgot to give us a crystal ball.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
To all who have wished me goodluck for tomorrow thankyou. Must admit I feel pretty lousy at the moment. Hot then cold. Didnt help I had to be outside putting up Christmas lights and decorations.
I dont know about the rest of you but Christmas is the hardest for me I have always been torn between my family here and my family back in the UK. Not only that it just so differrent. Even the tele is different in the Uk they do mention Christmas and they sing carols but here they seem only to celebrate the selling side of the season and calling it a holiday and a holiday tree. I watched as show on BBC the other day it was a cooking show and they said
I think we all have fears about going back home will it work or wont it. But till we try we will never find out.
Good Luck Trotty, you just never know.

I totally understand the Christmas thing, its over in a day here and in the UK it goes on till New Years for some, a real Holiday, For many years I worked boxing day here so that didn't help.

Christmas in the UK was always Lovely, Noel Edmunds on TV.

I seem to remember they started selling holidays at Christmas in the UK.

Anyone remember Cliff Michelmore, he did a Holiday show for years, Ahhhhhhh Memories.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:29 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
G
Anyone remember Cliff Michelmore, he did a Holiday show for years, Ahhhhhhh Memories.
Indeed I do. He used to host "In town tonight" way back in the days of black and white TV.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I have bluetooth and so I never touch the phone. Verbal commands. I cannot imagine texting and driving at the same time and I text all the time with my family in the UK but outside of my car.
Its not the hands that bothers me, its the brain that is concentrating on the phone call sooner than the traffic around you, just because hands free is legal doesn't make it a smart thing to do.

Lets put it another way, If I ran into the back of a car with your grandkids inside while talking on a cell phone how would you feel then, these accidents happen a lot, they say a cell phone user hands free or otherwise is as dangerous as a drunken driver. Ive noticed some people now pull over to talk, why not.

I've been in a cell phone accident I know how it feels, I was parked on an off ramp in Birmingham UK when a guy in a BMW ran into the back of the car behind me, it did serious damage to that car, my car, a brand new Vauxhall rental was crushed front and rear, the force also bent the backs of the front seats, the two cars in front of me were also damaged, there was blood, injury and crying, but no deaths, the BMW Driver was on his cell phone when he hit us.

Texting is bad but recently I've seen a few people using laptops while driving 55 mph, how could these people live with themselves if they ran into or hurt someone, its just crazy, the laptops are in cradles facing them, Huhhhhhhh.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
You should try driving around the airport, with all the big semi's, articulated vehicles, buses and the 20' and 40' seafreight containers.....it's a bit scary sometimes in my tiny Toyota Corolla.

I can dig it, Im not a fan of heavy metal hahhaaaaa

Corolla, a good choice, my neice had one, she hit a patch of ice in Wyoming and rolled it ten years ago, guess what she drives today, yes another Corolla.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by quoll
LOL when I went to the loo in Sydney airport last week, the muzak was playing "let it snow" - I got on the transfer bus and the sweat was dripping off me!
Thats Brilliant...
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

What about one of those debit cards you can get at the cash out in the grocery stores? They are fairly new but it's a good idea. I think you pay so much money to get one and the amount you pay is the amount available - less a small fee probably.
I got a cash debit card in Sterling from Thomas Cook - exchanged my US dollars and US Travellers Checks there. There was a small fee initially, and a % fee each time you add more to the card at Thos Cook office. But it gives you the appearance of a credit card, and works the same. It is not linked to any bank account. You can do the same thing at the Currency Exchange bureaus that are dotted about all over the place, but they are expensive - I would stick with Thos Cook or the Post Office. The Post Office has a separate window for Foreign Exchange, and do not charge any commission for exchanging dollars or travellers checks.

Last edited by islandwoman120; Dec 5th 2010 at 9:45 am.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn

A car offers freedom like no other for me, I cant live without one, and hope I never have to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.