Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Talking about the fears of returning to the UK alone. I have those fears. I am wondering how justified they are. For me, they are more about -

- will I be able to afford a decent place to live on my own income (not really knowing how far money goes there these days)

- will I be able to find a job with a decent income

Not being able to afford to buy my own home is a big issue for me. It means I have to rely on a landlord, even if it is a house that I rent. I want to be able to call the roof over my head "home" and not have to worry about moving around every few years. I also have two little dogs and two cats that I absolutely will not part with.

I will also be receiving income from the US in the UK - social security and a small pension when I reach the age. I worry about something going wrong with that - huge exchange rate loss, etc. etc.

Then there's the double tax issue - US and UK taxes. That worries me.

It is a very strange feeling to be wanting to return home so much and yet have these fears about going back to my "home". It's weird.

My fears are not at all centered around whether I will think I made the right decision. I know it is the right decision for me to go home. However, if I can't afford it, I will be asking myself if I made the right decision financially.
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Windsong...I think thats a lovely idea singles returning. Just think of the fun you could have and you all know about moving abroad and not wanting to do it again. Maybe we would be attending a wedding

I have been sick the past couple of days caught my Grandsons cold. At the moment its just the sore throat and feeling like I have two people in my head. Needless to say the estate agent called today and wanted a showing tomorrow. We told her we would only do it if we have papers saying they can afford to buy. She called back and said this time she has it. These people are also from New York. According to her they have just sold an island they own close to Staten Island. Dont know how true that is. Sallysimmons should have an idea if there are any islands around that area. Its 5.30pm and I have to start cleaning and hoovering they are coming at 10.30 tomorrow morning just dont feel up to it but cant say no. There is always a chance
Oooh I hope this is the one TT.

Just getting over a cold myself, this one has lingered for 10 days so I know how you feel, get well soon you may need to pack!
Forum Regular

VivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura about

I saw your post about going back to Uk did you decide to stay in USA?
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Windsong...I think thats a lovely idea singles returning. Just think of the fun you could have and you all know about moving abroad and not wanting to do it again. Maybe we would be attending a wedding

I have been sick the past couple of days caught my Grandsons cold. At the moment its just the sore throat and feeling like I have two people in my head. Needless to say the estate agent called today and wanted a showing tomorrow. We told her we would only do it if we have papers saying they can afford to buy. She called back and said this time she has it. These people are also from New York. According to her they have just sold an island they own close to Staten Island. Dont know how true that is. Sallysimmons should have an idea if there are any islands around that area. Its 5.30pm and I have to start cleaning and hoovering they are coming at 10.30 tomorrow morning just dont feel up to it but cant say no. There is always a chance
Good luck with showing your house Trotty, hope it works out this time..
I have a horrible cold at the moment also, feel yucky.
I think someone returning should open a halfway house kind of B&B for returning expats..might be a good little business..
Jackie
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Wind, why dont you just look for a job in the UK, rather than here in the US?
Idy, I have had some huge setbacks financially in the U.S. in recent years. Also, I am working only at a temp job to pay the bills at the moment until I can find a permanent job. I need a permanent job to begin to catch up from being unemployed and then to start saving money for the move back. Even moving back is a costly project. Money for transport over for my pets and me, money to find a place to live, etc. etc.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Idy, I have had some huge setbacks financially in the U.S. in recent years. Also, I am working only at a temp job to pay the bills at the moment until I can find a permanent job. I need a permanent job to begin to catch up from being unemployed and then to start saving money for the move back. Even moving back is a costly project. Money for transport over for my pets and me, money to find a place to live, etc. etc.
I understand, as I am going back with nothing only a little bit of money I will get for my car. I am fortunate to have family though, and I know you dont. I have lost everything due to my recent medical problems, and it would take me years to make up for it here. I am going to be starting over, but would much prefer to do it there than here.
I hope you find someting soon, and can get on with working toward your dream..
Jackie
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:26 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I agree with this idea. I am on my own, and somewhat scared at times going it alone. I know, that is silly, but it is a real feeling. I did not have a problem in the USA - always found a decent enough place to live in, and when times got tough, I had family on the end of a phone. Not the same thing here - I have a few old friends, but they are so settled here, or were born here, that they cannot understand my (to them) irrational fears. As you all know, I am heading down to Somerset on Monday (trains and weather permitting!) and will let you know what I find. Beedubya already knows as she lived there last year, and has been very encouraging to me in this intended move. But I am heading into the unknown, looking at a house share with a person I do not, at this time, know. And if I get cold feet about that, I am also viewing a studio - but then I have to furnish it, and having gotten rid of all my nice things in the USA in order to move here, I am not in the mood to buy furniture now - rather have furnished, even if it is not my taste. Oh well, will soon know what I am doing.
Rosie you are doing what ED/Peigi did, a house share for a while to get on her feet then she got a flat that was OK, now she is in her nice flat with a balcony overlooking the river.

Your first place to live is just a stepping stone. And as I wrote you Frome is a decent enough little place but it is not perfect, that's just another stepping stone until you end up where you really want to live.

And as for furniture except for my bed and bedding and TV - everything I bought in the UK was either from the charity shops, Home Bargains, Wilkinsons or Asda.

It is so much more do-able there than it is here to set up home on the cheap.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

VivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura about

I think if those who have really thought it thru and wish to go back to the UK,,you should.

It seems such a huge decision,esp. when you get older BUT GO FOR IT.

Good Luck to you all.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:31 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I gave this problem a lot of thought, as I hate shopping, and even more, carrying bags on the bus or down the road. So I thought, money permitting, that I would do a monthly shopping trip like I used to do in the states, and take a taxi home with the goodies. Then I could go to the weekly market for fresh veggies and other similar items. Frome has two weekly markets, and I am sure other towns have somewhat similar arrangements.
I bought a shopping trolley in Frome!! Flowery it was and quite trendy looking.

It really was a good investment, of course when the icy weather came I got a taxi, but I will be prepared for the next icy winter as I am blown away by Rosie's crampons.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Rosie you are doing what ED/Peigi did, a house share for a while to get on her feet then she got a flat that was OK, now she is in her nice flat with a balcony overlooking the river.

Your first place to live is just a stepping stone. And as I wrote you Frome is a decent enough little place but it is not perfect, that's just another stepping stone until you end up where you really want to live.

And as for furniture except for my bed and bedding and TV - everything I bought in the UK was either from the charity shops, Home Bargains, Wilkinsons or Asda.

It is so much more do-able there than it is here to set up home on the cheap.
Is Wilkinsons, Asda and Home Bargains furniture quite nice?

This sounds terrible but I came from a good family over there - beautiful home - the lot. I had a good education, came to the U.S. lost much of what I had due to the economy and a few unwise decisions. I feel as if I should return to a "beautiful home" like the one I left and I won't be able to afford it and will feel like a failure. I think this is just one of my "irrational fears" but I had to put it out "on paper". Sometimes when you do that and others comment on them, it helps them disappear. I just don't want to live the life of a bag lady.

I know it's irrational because when I am 62 (I think that's the age you start collecting) I will have my U.S. social security, along with a small pension from a former employer so I should be okay. But then, there are always exchange rate losses, etc.

Sometimes going back seems so complex that I wonder if I can ever do it.
Can you tell today is one of those "blue" days?
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

This sounds terrible but I came from a good family over there - beautiful home - the lot. I had a good education, came to the U.S. lost much of what I had due to the economy and a few unwise decisions. I feel as if I should return to a "beautiful home" like the one I left and I won't be able to afford it and will feel like a failure. I think this is just one of my "irrational fears" but I had to put it out "on paper". Sometimes when you do that and others comment on them, it helps them disappear. I just don't want to live the life of a bag lady.

I know it's irrational because when I am 62 (I think that's the age you start collecting) I will have my U.S. social security, along with a small pension from a former employer so I should be okay. But then, there are always exchange rate losses, etc.

Dont be blue Wind,
I have those days myself..I had a very good life for years here in the US. When i got my divorce life changed drasticly. I was never a career woman, I was a stay at home mom for years, with little part time jobs. I was married for 25 years, and walked away from it with my car, and a few pieces of furniture (no alimony, long story being nieve mostly).
I have managed to support myself since then, mostly living paycheck to paycheck, but proving to myself mostly that I could do it. Then this medical situation took me completely by surprise in September, and my very precarious little life came crashing down. I had been home to England in April, and had told myself when I came back that i would give it six more months here, and then maybe consider moving back to UK, because leaving was very hard. Well, things got MUCH worse, and even thoough I had made the decision to go aleady at sometime in the near future.., now I have no choice...and maybe thats what someone was trying to tell me..
So yes, I scared to death also, but I just cant do it here on my own anymore..and I would rather take my chances there than here...
Jackie.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

It would be nice to have a car in the UK when I return but it is not necessary. The biggest inconvenience of not having one is not being able to do weekend drives to other places to sightsee but more especially having to haul groceries around from the stores to the bus stop and then during the walk to my home from the bus stop on the other end. Ugh!
Are you aware that grocery delivery is a big think in the UK? All the supermarkets do it and in some towns they run a shuttle bus.
On the car thing. You can use Zip car or similar. You book it and just go and pick it up at its parked place. You can pay by the hour or day.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Dont be blue Wind,
I have those days myself..I had a very good life for years here in the US. When i got my divorce life changed drasticly. I was never a career woman, I was a stay at home mom for years, with little part time jobs. I was married for 25 years, and walked away from it with my car, and a few pieces of furniture (no alimony, long story being nieve mostly).
I have managed to support myself since then, mostly living paycheck to paycheck, but proving to myself mostly that I could do it. Then this medical situation took me completely by surprise in September, and my very precarious little life came crashing down. I had been home to England in April, and had told myself when I came back that i would give it six more months here, and then maybe consider moving back to UK, because leaving was very hard. Well, things got MUCH worse, and even thoough I had made the decision to go aleady at sometime in the near future.., now I have no choice...and maybe thats what someone was trying to tell me..
So yes, I scared to death also, but I just cant do it here on my own anymore..and I would rather take my chances there than here...
Jackie.
I understand completely, Idy. I wish I had a relative or two over there just in case I got in a bind.

I think perhaps it's very early days for me yet. I need to learn more about how the UK is today so I know what I am going to, especially when it comes to housing. Once I begin collecting social security and my pension. I do plan to work over there until 65 but the SS and pension will be nice "security".

Someone told me the British pensioners only get about 40 pounds a week. However do they survive on that, especially with the price of housing???
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:03 am
Home Sweet Home

None of us can turn back the clock...........we have all (most) of us made bad financial decisions of one kind or another.........let's face it if we had a million £££££££££ in the bank we wouldn't be on here endlessly talking about it, we would be on the next plane out or the QM2 and on our way and setting ourselves up in a nice cosy cottage in the Cotswolds...........but we don't so we have to do the best we can.

As you have no family over there then the only person you are losing face with because you haven't "made" it in the USA is yourself..........so you either stay where you are because it is easier to stay stuck in lots of ways, or you feel the fear and do it anyway!!

I do feel a big block to a lot of people going back home is they don't want to answer questions of family and friends - that they feel like a failure or a loser, and I know for sure that is what kept me here when we first emigrated........BIG mistake number one!!!

Nothing could be further from the truth, we who go home with very little are not failures - at least we had the courage to try it and it didn't work, so what?

We just pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down, and start all over again, I feel a song coming on.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Are you aware that grocery delivery is a big think in the UK? All the supermarkets do it and in some towns they run a shuttle bus.
On the car thing. You can use Zip car or similar. You book it and just go and pick it up at its parked place. You can pay by the hour or day.
Cheers - No, I had no idea about that at all. That is wonderful!! Even the shuttle bus is terrific!

What is a Zip car. Is it like Hertz rentals - renting a car? Is it expensive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.