Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:46 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Jay Bird
Well here I am, back Home just over 2 years and loving it. I just thought I'd drop by and give you an update as I used to be a regular visitor here when I lived in the most miserable town in Ontario. I was known as Oldbag then and found BE a great source of support.

OH and I were fast approaching 60 when we decided to come back, and it has been the best decision for us. I emphasise "us", the reason being everyone is different and has different needs and experiences at different times of their lives. Going back to Canada was right when we went, coming back was also right; going out there was a decision made with the head.....we analysed it all, researched as much as we could….everything from property prices to climate to the cost of living. We’d lived in Ontario in the 80’s and made many friends, some of whom are still close friends today, so we decided to try Southwestern Ontario this time as we did have friends in that area. OH went out a year earlier, staying a few weeks looking at the towns and villages carefully marked on our well worn map, investigating employment prospects, which we knew would be a little thin on the ground given our ages, but we felt our experience and qualifications would get us some sort of basic employment at least. You name it, we researched it…. and still it didn't work the way we would have wished. What we found was a vastly different country from the one we had known, so we stuck with it for almost four years doing any type of work we could….apple picking through October and November for $4 an hour! We worked as set-up crew in for a new store opening in Stratford; the wage of $4.50 an hour was slightly better! I eventually got work in a mortgage centre in a bank, whilst OH worked at a Honda factory doing quality control. Both jobs entailed travelling over an hour each way in opposite directions. It was a very hard, frustrating, miserable time and now feels like a Big Black Hole; it’s as if that time has been stolen from me. So, we came up with a Plan….or should that be Plan A, as we never did have a Plan B! We came back to the UK for a month in March of 2008 to do a feasibility test on our plan. We went back to Canada, put the house up for sale (without the use of a real estate agent!), sold it a week later, saving $8000 in fees, packed up and flew home on June 30th 2008!

We are extremely lucky to have found the employment we wanted in an area that is breathtakingly beautiful; our employers are lovely people who have provided us with a home, and an income and regard us as part of the furniture. Given our ages and the fact that we were completely unknown to them we realise just how fortunate we are, so this job has actually become more than “just a job”….it’s now our way of life and we wouldn’t change if for anything. Compared to the big, oversized house and garden we had in Canada, we now live in a matchbox, but it’s really all we need, and it takes only half an hour to clean it right through!

Best of all? We're an hour's drive away from our daughter, who stayed behind when we went to Canada in 2004, and 4 hours drive (or by train) from friends and family "up North". I honestly want for nothing more, and if all this sounds just a bit too cheesy and sentimental, too bad, that's how I feel these days.

As for those who think the financial crisis is worse here than there…wherever that may be….it’s all swings and roundabouts. Some things are cheaper here, some things are not. I think the real decision should be about what you want from life…the big house? The outdoor pool? The huge garden and sit-upon lawn mower? All material things which are transient anyway…you never really own anything in life, you have temporary possession only. I discovered that the most important thing in my life was family and peace of mind.

Coming back was a decision from the heart.....this is where we now feel at home and rooted.

My advice to anyone thinking of coming back after however many years is just to do what feels right and don't spend too long agonising over it.

Hope this hasn't been too long and boring for those of you who've read it....and Good Luck to anyone preparing to come home.

I posted this as a new thread "2 year update" and one of the replies suggested I put it in this thread as it fits into the age group of this thread. I really hope my experiences will help those of you "on the verge"
Just reading some old posts and I thought I would revive this one as it's pretty special.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
It would be nice to have a car in the UK when I return but it is not necessary. The biggest inconvenience of not having one is not being able to do weekend drives to other places to sightsee but more especially having to haul groceries around from the stores to the bus stop and then during the walk to my home from the bus stop on the other end. Ugh!
I noticed a lot of the women from the village Mum lives in catch the bus to Tesco, to do the shop and have a taxi called as they are at the check out, the taxi takes them home with the groceries and helps put them inside the front door. To me that seem like the best idea especially if they have the free bus pass.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Just reading some old posts and I thought I would revive this one as it's pretty special.
Thanks for posting this. Jay Bird was someone who inspired me about my move back. She wrote to me on the thread and privately, and gave me lots of links for work. Even though those did not help me, as I am not qualified for the same type of work as she and her husband are, it opened my eyes and revived my memory about the different lifestyles here in the UK. For starters, when I read the Greycoat Placements site, I realised that butlers still exist off the movie set of Upstairs Downstairs - or this years version: Downton Abbey. I had no idea that job was still viable, nor did I know that I pays as well as it does. I did apply to be a Housemistress in a girls school and was told I needed two years experience first - being a mother and grandmother does not cut it! I applied privately too,for similar work, and got a lovely rejection letter, which I shall keep as it is so polite. If anyone needs the links, just ask - or be prepared to scroll through the thread I started called 'Inexpensive Living'. Rosie
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I noticed a lot of the women from the village Mum lives in catch the bus to Tesco, to do the shop and have a taxi called as they are at the check out, the taxi takes them home with the groceries and helps put them inside the front door. To me that seem like the best idea especially if they have the free bus pass.
I gave this problem a lot of thought, as I hate shopping, and even more, carrying bags on the bus or down the road. So I thought, money permitting, that I would do a monthly shopping trip like I used to do in the states, and take a taxi home with the goodies. Then I could go to the weekly market for fresh veggies and other similar items. Frome has two weekly markets, and I am sure other towns have somewhat similar arrangements.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Honda has just announced they are to end production of the Honda Element at the end of the 2011 model year.
I love Honda - but the Honda Element is one ugly looking car!
Old Dec 4th 2010, 10:13 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

The whiners in Britain should try living in the US for a year or two. When they realized how much healthcare can cost, they'd soon stop complaining about the damn petrol prices. Oh wait ... this is British people we're talking about ... they can complain about anything
Old Dec 4th 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
Maybe you can "pal up" with another returnee sharing accommodation etc, without it being a relationship. 2 women or 2 men could start out with a lot more security together as long as the rules were decided on in advance and it could be very helpful to have someone to go through the early days with. Sometimes having someone to listen is really what we need after a troubling day, and who better to understand than another "newbie"
That's right, Gold. That's what I was thinking actually.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
The whiners in Britain should try living in the US for a year or two. When they realized how much healthcare can cost, they'd soon stop complaining about the damn petrol prices. Oh wait ... this is British people we're talking about ... they can complain about anything
Ha ha, Sally lol! Petrol is expensive over there, that's true, but you don't have to travel nearly so far - or as often. They have a really good public transport system over there - buses and trains - and I SO miss the trains!! I think when I return, I will spend my life going all over the UK on trains just to be on a train
Old Dec 4th 2010, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

J Bird said it all - peace of mind. That's one of the main reasons I want to go back but also for a simpler, more stable way of life. As I often put it "a kinder, gentle path to follow". I am worn out living where I am now. And, yes, I could live in a matchbox if I had all these things plus my pets.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jay Bird
Well here I am, back Home just over 2 years and loving it. I just thought I'd drop by and give you an update as I used to be a regular visitor here when I lived in the most miserable town in Ontario. I was known as Oldbag then and found BE a great source of support.

OH and I were fast approaching 60 when we decided to come back, and it has been the best decision for us. I emphasise "us", the reason being everyone is different and has different needs and experiences at different times of their lives. Going back to Canada was right when we went, coming back was also right; going out there was a decision made with the head.....we analysed it all, researched as much as we could….everything from property prices to climate to the cost of living. We’d lived in Ontario in the 80’s and made many friends, some of whom are still close friends today, so we decided to try Southwestern Ontario this time as we did have friends in that area. OH went out a year earlier, staying a few weeks looking at the towns and villages carefully marked on our well worn map, investigating employment prospects, which we knew would be a little thin on the ground given our ages, but we felt our experience and qualifications would get us some sort of basic employment at least. You name it, we researched it…. and still it didn't work the way we would have wished. What we found was a vastly different country from the one we had known, so we stuck with it for almost four years doing any type of work we could….apple picking through October and November for $4 an hour! We worked as set-up crew in for a new store opening in Stratford; the wage of $4.50 an hour was slightly better! I eventually got work in a mortgage centre in a bank, whilst OH worked at a Honda factory doing quality control. Both jobs entailed travelling over an hour each way in opposite directions. It was a very hard, frustrating, miserable time and now feels like a Big Black Hole; it’s as if that time has been stolen from me. So, we came up with a Plan….or should that be Plan A, as we never did have a Plan B! We came back to the UK for a month in March of 2008 to do a feasibility test on our plan. We went back to Canada, put the house up for sale (without the use of a real estate agent!), sold it a week later, saving $8000 in fees, packed up and flew home on June 30th 2008!

We are extremely lucky to have found the employment we wanted in an area that is breathtakingly beautiful; our employers are lovely people who have provided us with a home, and an income and regard us as part of the furniture. Given our ages and the fact that we were completely unknown to them we realise just how fortunate we are, so this job has actually become more than “just a job”….it’s now our way of life and we wouldn’t change if for anything. Compared to the big, oversized house and garden we had in Canada, we now live in a matchbox, but it’s really all we need, and it takes only half an hour to clean it right through!

Best of all? We're an hour's drive away from our daughter, who stayed behind when we went to Canada in 2004, and 4 hours drive (or by train) from friends and family "up North". I honestly want for nothing more, and if all this sounds just a bit too cheesy and sentimental, too bad, that's how I feel these days.

As for those who think the financial crisis is worse here than there…wherever that may be….it’s all swings and roundabouts. Some things are cheaper here, some things are not. I think the real decision should be about what you want from life…the big house? The outdoor pool? The huge garden and sit-upon lawn mower? All material things which are transient anyway…you never really own anything in life, you have temporary possession only. I discovered that the most important thing in my life was family and peace of mind.

Coming back was a decision from the heart.....this is where we now feel at home and rooted.

My advice to anyone thinking of coming back after however many years is just to do what feels right and don't spend too long agonising over it.

Hope this hasn't been too long and boring for those of you who've read it....and Good Luck to anyone preparing to come home.

I posted this as a new thread "2 year update" and one of the replies suggested I put it in this thread as it fits into the age group of this thread. I really hope my experiences will help those of you "on the verge"
Lovely post, Jay Bird - and very helpful. How lucky you were to find an employer that provided housing, too.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Windsong...I think thats a lovely idea singles returning. Just think of the fun you could have and you all know about moving abroad and not wanting to do it again. Maybe we would be attending a wedding

I have been sick the past couple of days caught my Grandsons cold. At the moment its just the sore throat and feeling like I have two people in my head. Needless to say the estate agent called today and wanted a showing tomorrow. We told her we would only do it if we have papers saying they can afford to buy. She called back and said this time she has it. These people are also from New York. According to her they have just sold an island they own close to Staten Island. Dont know how true that is. Sallysimmons should have an idea if there are any islands around that area. Its 5.30pm and I have to start cleaning and hoovering they are coming at 10.30 tomorrow morning just dont feel up to it but cant say no. There is always a chance
Wow - good luck on the house showing. Remember it only takes one person to decide they want it. Tomorrow might be it!
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I agree with this idea. I am on my own, and somewhat scared at times going it alone. I know, that is silly, but it is a real feeling. I did not have a problem in the USA - always found a decent enough place to live in, and when times got tough, I had family on the end of a phone. Not the same thing here - I have a few old friends, but they are so settled here, or were born here, that they cannot understand my (to them) irrational fears. As you all know, I am heading down to Somerset on Monday (trains and weather permitting!) and will let you know what I find. Beedubya already knows as she lived there last year, and has been very encouraging to me in this intended move. But I am heading into the unknown, looking at a house share with a person I do not, at this time, know. And if I get cold feet about that, I am also viewing a studio - but then I have to furnish it, and having gotten rid of all my nice things in the USA in order to move here, I am not in the mood to buy furniture now - rather have furnished, even if it is not my taste. Oh well, will soon know what I am doing.
Island, I can relate to those fears. I really can. I am going over there alone with no family there. I may have a very distant second cousin of my deceased mother if I can find him but he is in his 70s now. I haven't seen or heard from him for over 50 years. (I am 58).

Good luck in Somerset. That is one area I have set my heart on, too. Either Somerset or Edinburgh in Scotland (outskirts of anyway).
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Windsong...I think thats a lovely idea singles returning. Just think of the fun you could have and you all know about moving abroad and not wanting to do it again. Maybe we would be attending a wedding

I have been sick the past couple of days caught my Grandsons cold. At the moment its just the sore throat and feeling like I have two people in my head. Needless to say the estate agent called today and wanted a showing tomorrow. We told her we would only do it if we have papers saying they can afford to buy. She called back and said this time she has it. These people are also from New York. According to her they have just sold an island they own close to Staten Island. Dont know how true that is. Sallysimmons should have an idea if there are any islands around that area. Its 5.30pm and I have to start cleaning and hoovering they are coming at 10.30 tomorrow morning just dont feel up to it but cant say no. There is always a chance
Lol, Trotty! Good luck with tomorrow.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
That's right, Gold. That's what I was thinking actually.
Wind, why dont you just look for a job in the UK, rather than here in the US?
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:14 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
Maybe you can "pal up" with another returnee sharing accommodation etc, without it being a relationship. 2 women or 2 men could start out with a lot more security together as long as the rules were decided on in advance and it could be very helpful to have someone to go through the early days with. Sometimes having someone to listen is really what we need after a troubling day, and who better to understand than another "newbie"
I believe a commune has been suggested before.

I have visions of a big country house with VW campervans parked outside and a load of silver haired "Sonny and Cher" types wearing 60's type clothes hanging around (eeer that would be us lot!).

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 4th 2010 at 11:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.