Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:52 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by windsong
I just thought about something. What about having a "moving back to UK" singles thread lol! That way, we single women and men who are planning to move back may be able to find a friend of the opposite sex who is also returning to the UK. You just never know

(Can't believe I just wrote that lol!)
LOL!! Neither can I ha ha!!
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

I just thought about something. What about having a "moving back to UK" singles thread lol! That way, we single women and men who are planning to move back may be able to find a friend of the opposite sex who is also returning to the UK. You just never know

Im all for that Wind..
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:54 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea if I have posted this before, but please do check out Karim's posts and wonderful photos on the Rovers Return thread, I just got all homesick today looking at his latest update. If I have my "cold feet" moments I just head over there and to other photo's to remind myself:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688910
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I have no idea if I have posted this before, but please do check out Karim's posts and wonderful photos on the Rovers Return thread, I just got all homesick today looking at his latest update. If I have my "cold feet" moments I just head over there and to other photo's to remind myself:

I was just looking at his pictures, they are beautiful....makes you want to leave now!
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:57 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I was just looking at his pictures, they are beautiful....makes you want to leave now!
I KNOW JACKIE we are going soon though!!!!

I saw you and Windsong had posted to him so I know you know about Karims pics, but not sure about the others.......
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Bee. I see Karim has included photos of Bath. That's one of the areas I am thinking of living in when I return. I love it there.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I KNOW JACKIE we are going soon though!!!!

I saw you and Windsong had posted to him so I know you know about Karims pics, but not sure about the others.......
Bee - When are you returning to the UK? What region of the country are you planning to settle in?
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:04 pm
Home Sweet Home

Bee - When are you returning to the UK? What region of the country are you planning to settle in?
February 26th 2011 staying with my sister in Cheshire..........for now........

I love Bath too, that was my nearest big town when I lived in Somerset, great memories.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

February 26th 2011 staying with my sister in Cheshire..........for now........

I love Bath too, that was my nearest big town when I lived in Somerset, great memories.
Bee - That's lovely! It's so nice you have family waiting for you over there - and somewhere to stay.

My dad lived the last 30 years of his live in Cheddar, Somerset. I fell in love with the area completely - and with the people. It's going to be a hard choice as to whether I go back to the Edinburgh area or settle in Somerset. I don't know yet.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:20 pm
Home Sweet Home

Bee - That's lovely! It's so nice you have family waiting for you over there - and somewhere to stay.

My dad lived the last 30 years of his live in Cheddar, Somerset. I fell in love with the area completely - and with the people. It's going to be a hard choice as to whether I go back to the Edinburgh area or settle in Somerset. I don't know yet.
Well you have the familiarity of Edinburgh, but it's surely a wee bit colder than Somerset?

Somerset is where Rosie is heading off to as well, we will all have to catch up in Bath or somewhere like that........
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:25 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Marmalade
DDL - Hope I am not too late to wish you a wonderful journey. Bon Voyage and have an awesome trip

Looks like I will be the next one home, I leave on Tuesday for bonnie Scotlland, can't wait

Been so busy getting things arranged, haven't been able to keep up with this thread, so if anyone else has headed home or is heading home soon, all of my best to you all
Just looking at some old posts, did anybody ever hear from Marmalade privately? This one was written in August.....
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe you can "pal up" with another returnee sharing accommodation etc, without it being a relationship. 2 women or 2 men could start out with a lot more security together as long as the rules were decided on in advance and it could be very helpful to have someone to go through the early days with. Sometimes having someone to listen is really what we need after a troubling day, and who better to understand than another "newbie"

Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong...I think thats a lovely idea singles returning. Just think of the fun you could have and you all know about moving abroad and not wanting to do it again. Maybe we would be attending a wedding

I have been sick the past couple of days caught my Grandsons cold. At the moment its just the sore throat and feeling like I have two people in my head. Needless to say the estate agent called today and wanted a showing tomorrow. We told her we would only do it if we have papers saying they can afford to buy. She called back and said this time she has it. These people are also from New York. According to her they have just sold an island they own close to Staten Island. Dont know how true that is. Sallysimmons should have an idea if there are any islands around that area. Its 5.30pm and I have to start cleaning and hoovering they are coming at 10.30 tomorrow morning just dont feel up to it but cant say no. There is always a chance
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Beedubya...No havnt heard from Marmalade I am sure she is busy getting on with her life.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
Maybe you can "pal up" with another returnee sharing accommodation etc, without it being a relationship. 2 women or 2 men could start out with a lot more security together as long as the rules were decided on in advance and it could be very helpful to have someone to go through the early days with. Sometimes having someone to listen is really what we need after a troubling day, and who better to understand than another "newbie"
I agree with this idea. I am on my own, and somewhat scared at times going it alone. I know, that is silly, but it is a real feeling. I did not have a problem in the USA - always found a decent enough place to live in, and when times got tough, I had family on the end of a phone. Not the same thing here - I have a few old friends, but they are so settled here, or were born here, that they cannot understand my (to them) irrational fears. As you all know, I am heading down to Somerset on Monday (trains and weather permitting!) and will let you know what I find. Beedubya already knows as she lived there last year, and has been very encouraging to me in this intended move. But I am heading into the unknown, looking at a house share with a person I do not, at this time, know. And if I get cold feet about that, I am also viewing a studio - but then I have to furnish it, and having gotten rid of all my nice things in the USA in order to move here, I am not in the mood to buy furniture now - rather have furnished, even if it is not my taste. Oh well, will soon know what I am doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.