Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Thank you , this is very helpful

You are right lol,I wouldn't purchase a Hummer ....

But, I am hooked on size now ,I have to confess that protecting the environment is not my prime/first concern -bad as it sounds

*If * I was able to purchase a vehicle that was safe + and massive + omitted less emissions that would be perfect ...
Hello Gabby,
I totally understand, you want to be safe at any cost, Me too, its just sad that so many people get killed by drivers under the infuluence of booze and drugs these days, at least thats what concerns me.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think there are a lot of European cars that have energy-efficient engines and also a high safety record (air bags, crumple zones, etc.). I don't think it's necessary to buy a big gas-guzzler to be safe on the road these days (and the effect of bigger/taller vehicles on pedestrians are catastrophic).
Very True Dunroving.
Its the large amount of Big Trucks and Big Suvs that bothers me in the USA, if one of those hits you its not gonna be pretty.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Gabby,
I totally understand, you want to be safe at any cost, Me too, its just sad that so many people get killed by drivers under the infuluence of booze and drugs these days, at least thats what concerns me.
It's dreadful, isn't it! I am so glad the UK banned driving and using cell phones at the same time (phoning or texting).
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
For some reason the auto manufactures don't sell diesel cars in the US with exception of maybe Volkswagon and Mercedes who sell almost none. The probable reason is the clean air act which means that the diesels can't meet the standards. This doesn't make sense to me because the diesels of today are cleaner burning than a gasoline engine.

Please, please don't ask me to document my statement its just something I continually read.
Hello Cheers.
It makes me laugh, and all those 7 litre diesel pick ups burning diesel but not many cars, its just stupid.

I drive a Chevy Astro for work, its got a 4.3 litre petrol engine and gets 15-16mpg on a US gallon, while my in laws drive Transits and Toyota's of the same size with diesel 2.2 getting 30 mpg or more in the UK.

Chevy have stopped production of the Astro and you have to buy a larger van, they sell nothing with a smaller engine than 4.3 litre, Huhhhhhh its just a waste.

You can go to Mexico and buy the Full size Transit but its not available here, at least not yet, Mexico has a great selection of cars and vans they are just not available here.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Just watched ABC news last night - Honda was named # 1 (again) for reliability!!
Doesn't surprise me at all.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the weather is finally starting to break up a little in the UK..maybe they can start to get back on track a little now...
Maybe we will hear from Rodney soon..
Jackie
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Cheers.

Chevy have stopped production of the Astro
Honda has just announced they are to end production of the Honda Element at the end of the 2011 model year.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
It's dreadful, isn't it! I am so glad the UK banned driving and using cell phones at the same time (phoning or texting).
Don't think for a minute that has stopped people from doing it anyway. I see people driving and phoning a lot (usually driving a white van).
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I have owned Hondas at various times since 1972 when I got one of the first Honda Civics that came into the country. The last one I had had a lot of trouble with. Windows scraping/scratching when raised or lowered, power steering went out, car pulled to the right even after being aligned. I had the car since new in 2007. It was made in the US. My new car, a Mazda, was made in Japan and I think it is better made all round.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I have owned Hondas at various times since 1972 when I got one of the first Honda Civics that came into the country. The last one I had had a lot of trouble with. Windows scraping/scratching when raised or lowered, power steering went out, car pulled to the right even after being aligned. I had the car since new in 2007. It was made in the US. My new car, a Mazda, was made in Japan and I think it is better made all round.
My most recent Camry was made/assembled in the U.S. The Camry I had before it was made/assembled in Japan. It was far superior to the one I have now. It shouldn't make a difference where the parts come from or where they are assembled because just about every car contains parts from all over the world.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just got this from my friend in Slough.

I know its contentious with you, but 2011 and I think for a few years beyond, the UK is really going to feel the effects of the economic mess it got itself into over the duration of the last government - I cried today filling up my car with Diesel - cost $127 to fillup! £1.25/litre and 65 litres! It's still known that it'll rise further in the short to medium term future too. That works out at $7.46 for a US gallon and $10.66 for a UK gallon! We also get the VAT rise in January as well to 20% -

He asked if I still intended to move there and I said Yeh, I want the London Transport free pass.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:25 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Looks like the weather is finally starting to break up a little in the UK..maybe they can start to get back on track a little now...
Maybe we will hear from Rodney soon..
Jackie
Oh that's good to know Jackie, I saw my son had posted last night on Facebook that it was colder outside than the chiller in his workplace LOL!!

Just checked out Karim's new photos of Warwick Castle. Any time I have doubts about what I am doing, I am heading right over to that thread, and I love that he loves our country more than a lot of people who are British do.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I just got this from my friend in Slough.

I know its contentious with you, but 2011 and I think for a few years beyond, the UK is really going to feel the effects of the economic mess it got itself into over the duration of the last government - I cried today filling up my car with Diesel - cost $127 to fillup! £1.25/litre and 65 litres! It's still known that it'll rise further in the short to medium term future too. That works out at $7.46 for a US gallon and $10.66 for a UK gallon! We also get the VAT rise in January as well to 20% -

He asked if I still intended to move there and I said Yeh, I want the London Transport free pass.
I lived over there for a year as you know, I didn't have a car, didn't even hire one or drive for all that time. The public transport is just fine, lots of trains and buses, I don't believe ED/Peigi has a car either, here in Australia you really do need a car more, over in the UK unless you live in some remote place you can get by just fine without one, except of course it's convenient to have one.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I lived over there for a year as you know, I didn't have a car, didn't even hire one or drive for all that time. The public transport is just fine, lots of trains and buses, I don't believe ED/Peigi has a car either, here in Australia you really do need a car more, over in the UK unless you live in some remote place you can get by just fine without one, except of course it's convenient to have one.
It would be nice to have a car in the UK when I return but it is not necessary. The biggest inconvenience of not having one is not being able to do weekend drives to other places to sightsee but more especially having to haul groceries around from the stores to the bus stop and then during the walk to my home from the bus stop on the other end. Ugh!
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just thought about something. What about having a "moving back to UK" singles thread lol! That way, we single women and men who are planning to move back may be able to find a friend of the opposite sex who is also returning to the UK. You just never know

(Can't believe I just wrote that lol!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.