Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 4th 2010, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Rodney said it would be a week or two before he posts
Old Dec 4th 2010, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
It has amazed me how quickly time has passed although it seemed to drag on some occasions when we struggled with things on both sides. 1 year ago we were sitting in USA saying, this is it then, lets do it, it's hard to believe that we are now months back and well settled. At the time Rodney and Hightide (welcome) were way out months beyond us and now they are home. The Feb '11 gang will be here in a couple shakes (after typing that I had to look up the meaning.... shakes of lambs tails). I feel I should be coming to the airports each time to welcome you all in.
JJ - Are you glad you moved back? Was it hard to readjust?
Old Dec 4th 2010, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Just wanted to explain why I think remarks about the US should be kept to personal opinions not blanket statements. Its fine if you want to moan about people not understanding you or on many other topics, I have done that but I dont think all Americans or the US is awful. When you are married to a US citizen and have children who live here you are conflicted and listening to some of the comments just takes away from why I set this forum up.
I wonder how some of those who have gone back to the UK feel I do worry about my spouse and certain resentments their are in the UK against Americans. Does it affect you. My daughter might want to move back once we are in the UK and I would hate for her to feel unwelcome. Although she was born in the UK she really is an American and I know if people started making remarks to her about the US she may get upset.
JJ....Will be looking forward to you posts It really does help when you get an insight as to how hard or easy it is to fit back in.
HighTide....Love your post and especially the bit about the mince pies. Please all of you keep on posting will be interesting to see the differences in Uk Christmas and the US. Whether you think attitudes have changed. I know in the US there is this battle against the mention of Christmas but I do notice on UK shows they seem to embrace the fact that its Christmas although I know some areas did have problems with Christmas tree or holiday tree.:frown
ED...Got a tree yet and when do you get he puppy.
HighSpeedGrandma.. does pop in and take a look at the forum but I think she is busy at present just keep mentioning her and maybe she will start posting again.
Hello Trotty, I would hate you to think, I have any animosity regarding American citizens , maybe I should have made myself a little clearer,my comments really were regarding the US consumption of fuel - which of course, is folks choice, after all - as you so ably said.. I have already offered ''open house'' to all friends on here, when they are re-located in UK, Have I not? I shall be entertaining my own US relatives, later next year, when they travel from Henderson - where I also stay when i visit them. Love Don xx
Old Dec 4th 2010, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I understand Don but contrary to what you hear many Americans have changed and are driving smaller cars. All area's in the US have recycling and stores promote resuable bags and have large bins by the doors to put old plastic ones in. Some people are very inventive and make all sorts of products from old tins cans and plastic. Its amazing what they do make. In our area we have the large bins and the two others, one for plastic and glass and one for paper.
Our home runs along a river (if you ever want to buy it) we are not allowed to cut down tree's running along side the river without the towns permission. To burn tree limbs etc. we have to get a burn permit and can only do it certain times of the day. When you get your yearly car check you have to have an ommision test or you dont get your sticker. I do think the US consumes alot of gas but getting to work is not just down the road. My husband use to trave over 60miles a day some of the people he worked with spent 2hours on the road just to get to work.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I understand Don but contrary to what you hear many Americans have changed and are driving smaller cars. All area's in the US have recycling and stores promote resuable bags and have large bins by the doors to put old plastic ones in. spent 2hours on the road just to get to work.
That almost sounds as though you are talking about England. We have several bins, to sort different waste, and also for cars, the annual Min.Of.Transport Certificate is required before you can insure and tax, unless the car is new. It covers, brakes, steering lights, emissions and tyres, plus seat belts. There is also a total ban on the use of mobiles whilst driving - and I read someone was stopped and fined, for driving using only one hand, on the steering wheel, while eating an apple. Discarding things out of the window ( Sweet papers etc.,) can get you a fine.. If you notice, on Rightmove, the houses for sale often have a''Thermal chart'' showing how well insulated the house is. Financial help is available for adding more insulation to the roof space. You cannot cut down trees, if they are at all mature, without a permit, and as you say, lighting bonfires is limited. - So most on here, will be used to these things. love Don
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Originally Posted by HighTide
Just checking in from Caterham, Surrey here.
Great flight over with no problems. We arrived about 30 minutes late due to a holding pattern over London.
Our friend was unable to meet us as her sister arrived from New Zealand 2 1/2 hours before us and they only had one snow free car to pick up people because they had left a car on the main road which had been cleared. We ended up taking the Gatwick Express bus from Heathrow to Gatwick (National Express) 21 pounds each. I am sure it would have been cheaper if we had booked on line before but we had no idea of which route we would be taking until we arrived. We were then picked up at Gatwick where the roads had been cleared and were back in about 30 minutes.

Not much snow at Heathrow but by the time we got to the Reigate exit or thereabouts on the M25 it was more snow than I remember seeing in England for years. It was very beautiful to look at.

The high point was turning into our friend's road and seeing all the neighbors out shoveling snow and guiding us into a cleared spot and then our friend bringing out a tray of hot mince pies and all the neighbors having one.
We were here by 3:15 pm local time which was pretty good considering the conditions.
Had an early dinner with wine and am about to have an early night also.
Great to be here and can't wait to get out tomorrow.

Welcome home pleased you made it safe and sound. Yes the snow is beautiful.
Hope you find what you are looking for so you can get back here again as soon as possible to start your new life.

Good luck Chris
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Adding to the car comment ,I will try to get the biggest car I am able to afford .
I am coming from a position of safety really ,with young children I feel exposed in smaller cars .
At the moment we have a large SUV ,if I could I would drive a Hummer -sorry thats sounds terrible I know ,but its just some thing I can't budge on

Helloooo Gabby.

I can understand where you are coming from, many people love the look of the H2, I doubt you are serious about buying one, even so let me tell you about Hummers, Ive worked on many over the years.
Hummers H2's are bascially poser SUV's, they are very high up which makes it hard to see other vehicles and people around them when parking, a little dangerous in my opinion, Being in a H2 is almost like driving a monster truck, It looks big n tough and has that feel, the Hood and Fenders/Front wings are made one piece of plastic, as is the tailgate, most of the the interior is plastic too, many I worked on squeaked, It seats six, the third row seat is just a single seat, most suv's would have room for two, the big spare tire takes up lots of room, its not really sensible in any way, not much room for groceries or luggage, the size is deceiving.

Id buy a Chevy Tahoe over a Hummer H2 any day, The Hummer is based on the Tahoe but the Tahoe is much nicer safer and more practical, in my opinion.

Like all larger SUVs that are body on frame these vehicles are safer in some ways and not in others, they will win in a head on accident or side impact with a smaller vehicle, but because they are higher they are more prone to rolling over.

The Chinesse were looking at buying Hummer from GM but that deal fell through, Im not sure if you can even buy new H2's anymore, but there are plenty of used ones around, I imagine they are much cheaper these days.

Yes I'm such a killjoy.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I have never driven a Saab in my life but I have driven a Volvo which was a Hertz car rental. I was disappointed because I had heard such great things about them.
Ahhhhh Cheers...

Maybe the one you rented was no so good, I like the mid size S60 and models above, dont care for the small 40 at all.

I work on cars and when I got a chance to rent a volvo I took it, Volvo's are one of my favorites, comfort and safety are tops in these cars, they are built right, Solid as rocks, Like cars used to be built, the Swedish know how to build safe cars, Unfortunatly the Chinesse just bought Volvo from Ford Huhhhhhhhhh very sad.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Great flight over with no problems. We arrived about 30 minutes late due to a holding pattern over London.
Our friend was unable to meet us as her sister arrived from New Zealand 2 1/2 hours before us and they only had one snow free car to pick up people because they had left a car on the main road which had been cleared. We ended up taking the Gatwick Express bus from Heathrow to Gatwick (National Express) 21 pounds each. I am sure it would have been cheaper if we had booked on line before but we had no idea of which route we would be taking until we arrived. We were then picked up at Gatwick where the roads had been cleared and were back in about 30 minutes.

Not much snow at Heathrow but by the time we got to the Reigate exit or thereabouts on the M25 it was more snow than I remember seeing in England for years. It was very beautiful to look at.

The high point was turning into our friend's road and seeing all the neighbors out shoveling snow and guiding us into a cleared spot and then our friend bringing out a tray of hot mince pies and all the neighbors having one.
We were here by 3:15 pm local time which was pretty good considering the conditions.
Wow David, that sounds just about perfect under the conditions, Im glad you made home it ok, Enjoy...

Mince pies Huhhhhhhhhhh... them Brits.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Here in Ohio we have the "E" check every two years - our cars are checked for emissions and if they don't pass we cannot drive them. I drive a Honda Civic - it is 10 years old - I love it for 8 months of the year - but must admit it doesn't handle the snow well. Fortunately I don't have far to drive to work. I am hoping to buy a new car next year and I know I won't buy a massive "gas guzzler" SUV, but I will probably buy something that handles the snow better such as the Honda CRV. My son-in-law drives one and it handles the snow well. You're right about having to consider where we live too. Not everyone in the US drives huge monster cars - a lot do - but I have seen a lot more smaller cars here over the past decade - including the Honda Fit (called the Honda Jazz in the UK).

Derrygirl... I think we see eye to eye on cars, I'm a big Fan of Honda's, Toyota's and Volvo's I like some other's too, I have an opinion on most of them.

The CRV is a great pick, the perfect size and price, Id own one in a heartbeat, I've had a few Honda's and all were Great cars, I love anything Honda, The Fit/Jazz is a wonderful car too, a smart choice and so cute.

I work on cars, anything from a Mini to a Motorhome, whenever I get in Honda it just feels right, ergonomics are perfect, Honda are very earth friendly too, way ahead of the pack.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I am in awe that so many people on this forum can book their flights home months ahead.

I have no idea when I shall be ready to return to England, but do know that I will probably want to book my flight only weeks ahead. I have a long history of quick decisions, such as deciding on Monday and leaving on Friday, or deciding on Friday and leaving on Monday. Nevertheless, I will see, if and when the time comes. Hopefully it will be in the European spring, 51 years since I came to Australia.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:01 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
For anyone who is stuck in the 'how to declutter' mode, maybe this site will help motivate you:

http://blog.timesunion.com/simplerli...12/#more-24212
Thanks Rosie

Have bookmarked it and will check out it out later.

Barb
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Now we've heard from High Tide (David). Great news he and his partner arrived safely - wondering how Rodney is doing - hopefully he got to his mother's house a couple of days ago. Just hope things are going okay for him and he is able to post soon to let us know. It seems as if there is way more snow in England than ever before - I cannot remember England getting that much snow (especially in the South). I know Scotland can get hit badly but it's unusual for England. They have far more than we have had here - just a dusting so far. Shouldn't speak too soon, sometimes it starts snowing here and forgets to stop!
I seem to think we had a 2-3 feet in South Yorkshire between 66-70, it was pretty deep one year, and Fun, but then again I was only 10-14 at the time, everything seemed bigger then, hahahaaaaaa

Im sure Rodney is eating Porridge as we speak.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Dec 4th 2010 at 9:08 am.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:09 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
I am in awe that so many people on this forum can book their flights home months ahead.

I have no idea when I shall be ready to return to England, but do know that I will probably want to book my flight only weeks ahead. I have a long history of quick decisions, such as deciding on Monday and leaving on Friday, or deciding on Friday and leaving on Monday. Nevertheless, I will see, if and when the time comes. Hopefully it will be in the European spring, 51 years since I came to Australia.
Well for me Aries, I want to be home for a wedding on March 12th, so I needed a date so I can work towards it.......saving, selling stuff, organising things, chucking out stuff, tax, super, finishing off my life here (not that I have done much but save a little)if I had the money I would go like you say next Friday, but I don't soooo...................I need a plan.........
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

What a great way to be welcomed home to a neighbourhood, glad you arrived safe and sound.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.