Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:51 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Whats your date of arrival Jacky??

Don and his wife are 21st Feb. I think

Mine is 27th Feb.

Wow just think not that long from now people are going to be stalking/tracking US.

I wonder how Rodney is doing? It's been 3 days now, surely he has bought a laptop by now and fired it up!!
It has amazed me how quickly time has passed although it seemed to drag on some occasions when we struggled with things on both sides. 1 year ago we were sitting in USA saying, this is it then, lets do it, it's hard to believe that we are now months back and well settled. At the time Rodney and Hightide (welcome) were way out months beyond us and now they are home. The Feb '11 gang will be here in a couple shakes (after typing that I had to look up the meaning.... shakes of lambs tails). I feel I should be coming to the airports each time to welcome you all in.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Whats your date of arrival Jacky??

Don and his wife are 21st Feb. I think

Mine is 27th Feb.

Wow just think not that long from now people are going to be stalking/tracking US.

I wonder how Rodney is doing? It's been 3 days now, surely he has bought a laptop by now and fired it up!!
Well I am hoping to leave the first week in february..just need to book the flight, waiting on my Dad to find out when his Carpel tunnel surgery is..he should know in the next week. He wont be able to drive for a while so making sure its not that week. If it is that week...then I may be leaving later..
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Well I am hoping to leave the first week in february..just need to book the flight, waiting on my Dad to find out when his Carpel tunnel surgery is..he should know in the next week. He wont be able to drive for a while so making sure its not that week. If it is that week...then I may be leaving later..
Im looking forward to being stalked..
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
Just checking in from Caterham, Surrey here.
Great flight over with no problems. We arrived about 30 minutes late due to a holding pattern over London.
Our friend was unable to meet us as her sister arrived from New Zealand 2 1/2 hours before us and they only had one snow free car to pick up people because they had left a car on the main road which had been cleared. We ended up taking the Gatwick Express bus from Heathrow to Gatwick (National Express) 21 pounds each. I am sure it would have been cheaper if we had booked on line before but we had no idea of which route we would be taking until we arrived. We were then picked up at Gatwick where the roads had been cleared and were back in about 30 minutes.

Not much snow at Heathrow but by the time we got to the Reigate exit or thereabouts on the M25 it was more snow than I remember seeing in England for years. It was very beautiful to look at.

The high point was turning into our friend's road and seeing all the neighbors out shoveling snow and guiding us into a cleared spot and then our friend bringing out a tray of hot mince pies and all the neighbors having one.
We were here by 3:15 pm local time which was pretty good considering the conditions.
Had an early dinner with wine and am about to have an early night also.
Great to be here and can't wait to get out tomorrow.
Welcome, and I am so glad your journey was uneventful. I look forward to reading your postings as soon as you feel up to doing them. Rosie
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 10:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Me too.

I am a bit overwhelmed at the moment about the mountain we have to climb, but I know we (I) will get there.......

It is 12 weeks today until I leave and all I have done so far is buy my ticket and make one tentative enquiry with a removals firm for sending my personal effects (and TV)......how far ahead are others with their plans??

Don?? Jackie? Come on shame me into it!!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Rest assured......... ;o)
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I have seen those tennis racquet things in old movies??

Anyway very impractical for the British high street LOL!!

I have never seen these crampons until your post, wow they look like a must and I will definitely be investing in a pair, thanks for sharing.
I had a pair of snow shoes in Minnesota. They are almost essential footwear in the deep snow - 7 month long winter there remember! I think they were originally Native American, and they come in various shapes and sizes. I was sorry to leave mine behind, but knew I would not need them here. My US friends were fighting over who should have them! In the end I left them in a Native American household, as I felt that was very appropriate.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Me too.

I am a bit overwhelmed at the moment about the mountain we have to climb, but I know we (I) will get there.......

It is 12 weeks today until I leave and all I have done so far is buy my ticket and make one tentative enquiry with a removals firm for sending my personal effects (and TV)......how far ahead are others with their plans??

Don?? Jackie? Come on shame me into it!!
ok honestly, I have checked the airfare price and picked the date I want to leave, and told my roommate..lol. I dont have much, mostly clothes and a few nick nacks..I figure the week before it will be panick time...lol..
So dont feel bad Bee, I am the worlds worst procrastinator.
Jackie
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 10:29 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

ok honestly, I have checked the airfare price and picked the date I want to leave, and told my roommate..lol. I dont have much, mostly clothes and a few nick nacks..I figure the week before it will be panick time...lol..
So dont feel bad Bee, I am the worlds worst procrastinator.
Jackie
Phew makes me feel better!! I am not usually like this, I think it is my own fear, fear of selling everything and having NOTHING.......I am trying to detach myself from my furniture LOL!! I have been checking ebay (I posted this on another thread) and somebody local to me was selling some furniture so I thought I would bookmark it to see the going rate, this was a dining table, buffet and hutch (Aussie term I think?? usually called Welsh Dresser) made of Oregon Pine, they reckon they paid $6000.00, the final winning bid was $92!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And don't forget Jackie if you see a really good deal with your airfare snaffle it up there and then - a lesson I learnt.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Phew makes me feel better!! I am not usually like this, I think it is my own fear, fear of selling everything and having NOTHING.......I am trying to detach myself from my furniture LOL!! I have been checking ebay (I posted this on another thread) and somebody local to me was selling some furniture so I thought I would bookmark it to see the going rate, this was a dining table, buffet and hutch (Aussie term I think?? usually called Welsh Dresser) made of Oregon Pine, they reckon they paid $6000.00, the final winning bid was $92!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And don't forget Jackie if you see a really good deal with your airfare snaffle it up there and then - a lesson I learnt.
Normally I am a get on with it kind of person, but still healing so the thought of everything I have to do gets a little overwhelming..so I have been putting it off.
I am going to be staying with my parents when I get back, so the little bit of furniture I do have I am leaving for my roommate., she has been good to me during my recovery, and so its the least I can do..
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Before I left the states, I had three yard sales and was involved in an Estate Sale with 3 other people. I sold my family furniture privately - a nice mahogany glass fronted china cabinet from the 1930s, and the rest went into the Estate Sale. Then I changed my mind and took another year to do the final leaving, so the next year I was able to sell china and silver privately, and then had a 3 day Yard Sale, which enabled me to get the rest of my beloved items sold. That was followed by a sale of my weaving yarns in a private house, belonging to the president of the local Art Guild, and what did not sell I gave to the Guild for hosting the sale. Then I gave away to family and friends the rest of the items I had (including the snow shoes I just wrote about) and that left me to sell my car. That without a doubt, was the worse moment: seeing someone else drive away my Mazda Protege, a car that had taken me up and down the Midwest and all over the southeastern states. My stomach dropped down to my boots, because now I was COMMITTED. And stranded, as I was staying with friends in rural Duluth, MN. That gave me the impetus to pack my suitcases, buy my last minute items, and leave.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 10:44 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I had a pair of snow shoes in Minnesota. They are almost essential footwear in the deep snow - 7 month long winter there remember! I think they were originally Native American, and they come in various shapes and sizes. I was sorry to leave mine behind, but knew I would not need them here. My US friends were fighting over who should have them! In the end I left them in a Native American household, as I felt that was very appropriate.
I think that was the right and proper thing to do too. Karma coming.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

For anyone who is stuck in the 'how to declutter' mode, maybe this site will help motivate you:

http://blog.timesunion.com/simplerli...12/#more-24212
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
For anyone who is stuck in the 'how to declutter' mode, maybe this site will help motivate you:

http://blog.timesunion.com/simplerli...12/#more-24212
That was very helpful Thanks

When we left the UK we arrived with just 8 suitcases ,everything we had left .

We are going home with probably even less lol !

When you have cleared out once ,it is not so hard ...
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
That was very helpful Thanks

When we left the UK we arrived with just 8 suitcases ,everything we had left .

We are going home with probably even less lol !

When you have cleared out once ,it is not so hard ...
I returned to the Uk in September, with 3 large, overweight suitcases, and also sent ahead two US Postal Service boxes with heavy items, and one 'M Bag' of books, weighing 25 pounds. I have since them purchased another large suitcase on sale in a Debenhams store in Ipswich, and distributed the articles amongst the 4 suitcases, getting rid of the boxes and M Bag [though I have kept that as a souvenir ] - and have a small duffel bag for my daily needs whist staying with friends. When I eventually get my own flat, and open the suitcases, it will be like Christmas meeting 'old friends'!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.