Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

It's beautiful - snowy photos and non-snowy photos! I want to take the next plane over!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I'm all for saving the planet but you have to remember where people live. Here in New England without all wheel drive and a heavier car you are in alot of danger during the winter months when we have snow and ice on the roads . We bought a I think its called a front wheel drive which during winter is quite dangerous the car is quite light and will slip and slide over the roads. My son who has 3 small children has 3 car seats in his heavier car which I am all for. Having 3 cars seats in one of those little electric cars would not protect those children whether they are in car seats or not.
Well Whilst I agree,TT, there are very few battery cars in the UK, but lots of folks, myself included, are helping a little by getting something with a smaller engine. it is the American ''Gas Guzzlers'', that most people object to. Particularly when you see the fumes coming out - which we all should know, is bad for health. Even here in Thailand, they have issued lots of free low consumption light bulbs - but of course, the population, cannot afford much in the first place! Take care, love, dontheturner..
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Well Whilst I agree,TT, there are very few battery cars in the UK, but lots of folks, myself included, are helping a little by getting something with a smaller engine. it is the American ''Gas Guzzlers'', that most people object to. Particularly when you see the fumes coming out - which we all should know, is bad for health. Even here in Thailand, they have issued lots of free low consumption light bulbs - but of course, the population, cannot afford much in the first place! Take care, love, dontheturner..
The USA only thinks of itself. They think they are the only country in the world and no others matter. They don't think for a minute that the more energy they use up the less there is for everyone else in the world - nor do they care.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by windsong
Thanks, Cheers. I didn't know. Hopefully, he has some friends or family waiting for him over there.

I don't have any family left but I have been looking up my friends that I went to university with. It's lots of fun catching up on what they've been up to over the last 30 years.

I remembered, too, that my mother's second cousin lives/lived in Wales. He is in his 70s now but I need to see if I can find him. I used to play with his daughter when I was a little girl.
Want to find him? maybe study www.ukphonebook.co.uk - if he has a BT phone line, you may find him listed.

Oh! And regarding Front wheel drives - I think most UK cars are front Wheel drive, are they not?

I may be wrong, on that. dontheturner

Last edited by dontheturner; Dec 3rd 2010 at 4:12 am. Reason: Added
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Want to find him? maybe study www.ukphonebook.co.uk - if he has a BT phone line, you may find him listed. dontheturner
Thank you! I will certainly have a look. Wouldn't it be wonderful if I could find them
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry folks but you cannot make blanket statements about a country and its people. I would not presume to do that about people in the Uk and I wont do it about people in the US. For a start its not true people here do care. As for exhaust from cars there are rules and regulations regarding that here in the US. I have said before this forum is not about bashing people or countries that we live in its about helping one another in our quest to return home and to help one another keep that target in mind and when we are feeling low having other people cheer us up.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry folks but you cannot make blanket statements about a country and its people. I would not presume to do that about people in the Uk and I wont do it about people in the US. For a start its not true people here do care. As for exhaust from cars there are rules and regulations regarding that here in the US. I have said before this forum is not about bashing people or countries that we live in its about helping one another in our quest to return home and to help one another keep that target in mind and when we are feeling low having other people cheer us up.
Very true, TT, and I agree with what you say--but there is a big difference, in folks returning to UK, and saying they intend to buy something with a large engine, because they are used to it. Not really right is it? love don
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Its all matter of choice Don not mine to make.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Its all matter of choice Don not mine to make.
TT< I am sure you will agree, though, that there should really be, total world agreement.

Thailand, will never comply, without International Aid. - but then, that goes for lots of poor countries - the folks here, pay no tax, (except the sales tax, whci they are hardly aware of).

I agree with your thoughts -, everyone if different.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I've never owned a walking stick but I wonder if that would help when walking in the snow?
My father fell getting out of his chair in a nursing home and broke his hip. Strange thing is he was assisted by a carer getting up.
He was in great pain and they gave him morphine? to alieve it because they couldn't operate because of some complication. I think the morphine killed him.
Your thoughts on this could be spot on, as Morphine can slow down the respirations and if not given in the proper dosages can cause death. You can get the walking sticks that have the thing on the end similiar to what you can put on your shoes to prevent slipping on ice. A friend of mine wear these ice things on her shoes when she goes out and swears by them.

Barb, I was wondering the same thing about going out not properly prepared. In Canada as soon as the winter started, we had a plastic tote in the care with winter essentials for survival this included, candles, blanket, shovel, kitty litter or sand, flashlight, etc. We never had to use it but we were always prepared. I think they will have to start having studded tires in the Uk for the winter.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Dec 3rd 2010 at 5:39 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:47 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It rarely snows much in Kendal

(Just getting in another plug for my favorite town)
I only just saw your tag line my number 2 ha ha!!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:55 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
What is your opinion of Frome?

Nice enough little market town with lovely places surrounding it, but not as lovely as the ever stunning Lake District.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:59 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Good Luck David (Hightide) Cheers what time does it leave or has it left yet?

had an email from Sue HighSpeedGrandma, new peeps wont know Sue but she left for Hong Kong to see her daughter then is flying to the UK, left hubby behind in the States and she is going to UK in January to see how it all is, with a veiw to moving back. She will be getting a job hopefully and staying with her other daughter.

yes I wonder how Denise2 and Tony are doing.......hope they are okay.
Oh yes I remember Highspeed Grandma (Sue in Hong Kong), hope she is doing well, how come she doesn't post on here anymore!! I didn't realise the UK was on her agenda..........gulp..............

Yes and any news on Denise2 and Tony? Hope they are OK.......

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 3rd 2010 at 9:02 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:00 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by windsong
I am trying to keep ALL the links in my bookmarks. If I go back home, I need them all
IF??? Now you have started out on this momentous journey there are no IF's only WHEN's...............
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:17 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Your thoughts on this could be spot on, as Morphine can slow down the respirations and if not given in the proper dosages can cause death. You can get the walking sticks that have the thing on the end similiar to what you can put on your shoes to prevent slipping on ice. A friend of mine wear these ice things on her shoes when she goes out and swears by them.

Barb, I was wondering the same thing about going out not properly prepared. In Canada as soon as the winter started, we had a plastic tote in the care with winter essentials for survival this included, candles, blanket, shovel, kitty litter or sand, flashlight, etc. We never had to use it but we were always prepared. I think they will have to start having studded tires in the Uk for the winter.
I think you are right Peigi, it seems the UK is in for worse weather than they are used to for some years and will have to adapt to the new circumstances accordingly...........gulp.........I will soon be one of them............

Are your friends ice things on her shoes those thingies that look like tennis racquets?

I have to say this time last year I was really scared of falling and breaking a major bone like a leg or an arm, it is not the snow it is the underlying ice that is a major hazard.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.