Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 15th 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Totally agree, I find the hunt for something that you need at a good price is very satisfying and when you find it, you sometimes decide not to buy
Originally Posted by dunroving
I think this is very much an individual decision. Assuming there is no help with shipping costs (e.g., from a new employer), I think it depends a lot on how much cr*p you've got, how big your current house is, how big a house you are likely to move into, whether you intend to rent or buy initially, and how sure you are that you will stay! personally, if I get the chance to move back to the States, I likely will NOT ship all and sundry (like I did coming back to the UK), especially big items of furniture. It is such a headache getting it all packed up, unpacked, etc., and I still have carpets/rugs stored in the attic, a big kitchen table in the shed (no room for it).

I think a move is an opportunity to really start afresh and also to simplify your life. I have accumulated so much cr*p I don't really need (and I'm not one for going mad with the plastic, by any means), it would feel good to get back to just a few bags and boxes-worth.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Good answers from both of you. I agree in starting fresh, it is very uplifting somehow. I am not a clutter person and every time I have moved in the past I have simplified more and more. I think my hardest items to give up will be my books. I have collected quite a few (mainly to do with my jobs when I was self employed) and they are good reference books that I still refer to from time to time. Some were hard to find, so I am loathe to let them go. But, of course, they are very heavy, so that makes shipping them even more expensive. Other items I don't want to lose are those I have picked up on travels, like pottery from Costa Rica, calligraphy from China, a rug my son got me in Romania, a cuckoo clock from the Black Forest, my Wedgewood Jasperware collection (that I don't really want but if I try and sell it here I will get next to nothing for it) and china that belonged to my German mother. I think I don't have much, but when it comes to packing it, I know it will be more than I anticipated. I did think about taking photos of some things, that way I can look at the photo and have the memory of the item. Don't know if that would make me more sad or not
Old Nov 15th 2009, 2:08 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Our initial decision of sending over only things that really have sentimental value etc has not changed. In Scotland most furnished flats come with most of the items that you will need to begin with. I looked at a few furnished flats and most seemed to have most of the the stuff I needed, of course purchased towels, face clothes, set of bed linen. Some of the items that we plan to have shipped are as follows, two pieces of Raku Pottery that were purchased by my husband during holidays, a piece of Italian glass given to me by friend, 2 water colour paintings that I did of my grandchildren, (these will be removed from frames and rolled up and sent by mail in rolled containers), a very good knife set, my husbands computer, family pictures etc. The amount that we will be sending will cost us about $1500.00, but these are things that cannot be replaced. I have started slowly to replace some of my items, waiting till I see them at a good price or at the charity shops that are all around. I am determined to to accumulate the amount of "stuff" that I had before. When we decided to move, I had to set aside my need to horde what I had accumulated and become very ruthless and keep the things that I felt I really would love to keep, even after saying that I went through things many times after the first go around and still found thing to get rid off. Each of us are different as to what means the most to us.
That's another good point about the question of what/how much to bring back to the UK - secondhand goods can be had for an amazingly low price, compared to some countries.

UK classified ad: "42 in. plasma TV, bought 2 years ago for £2,000, excellent condition, asking £400".

US classified ad: "42 in. plasma TV, bought 2 years ago for $2,000, excellent condition, asking $1,200".
Old Nov 15th 2009, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

That's another good point about the question of what/how much to bring back to the UK - secondhand goods can be had for an amazingly low price, compared to some countries.

UK classified ad: "42 in. plasma TV, bought 2 years ago for £2,000, excellent condition, asking £400".

US classified ad: "42 in. plasma TV, bought 2 years ago for $2,000, excellent condition, asking $1,200".

Wow, big difference. So I should sell everything here in US, make lots of money, and buy for half in UK Good theory, only my friend had a yard sale this weekend. She only made $250!! No one is buying!!! Just like the houses
Old Nov 15th 2009, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wow, big difference! Trouble is, no one is buying - my friend had a huge moving sale this weekend, she only made $250!!!
Old Nov 15th 2009, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

alba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll have to think long and hard about this. I am with you Aes..my china and crystal,pottery, pictures and frames,linens, kitchen ware and clothes. My books..I have hundreds of all kinds..dvd collection, my christmas stuff (lenox etc>)...OMG..I'm a pack rat...LOL I don't care about furniture I can leave that but my bits and pieces...I guess I'll have to check out ebay for replacement costs. The problem is almost every piece has sentimental value.
Replacing large items is hard enough but it's the small things that add up.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Alba1 I had collected handblown christmas ornament and a collection of over 27 Santas for over 25 years, many of them were gifts from friends and some from family. I had linens, good china, top of line kitchen ware, pots and pans etc. In the end the Christmas stuff had given my children many christmas's of good memories, so I had each child, grandchild pick a few of the ones that meant the most tothem and the rest I gave to family and friends who I knew would appreciate them. Also took some to womens shelters etc, they were so very much appreciated that for me I knew it was the best decision for us. Sometimes the joy is not in having the possesion but the joy that it will bring someone else.
Originally Posted by alba1
I'll have to think long and hard about this. I am with you Aes..my china and crystal,pottery, pictures and frames,linens, kitchen ware and clothes. My books..I have hundreds of all kinds..dvd collection, my christmas stuff (lenox etc>)...OMG..I'm a pack rat...LOL I don't care about furniture I can leave that but my bits and pieces...I guess I'll have to check out ebay for replacement costs. The problem is almost every piece has sentimental value.
Replacing large items is hard enough but it's the small things that add up.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Easterndawn;8099819]Alba1 I had collected handblown christmas ornament and a collection of over 27 Santas for over 25 years, many of them were gifts from friends and some from family. I had linens, good china, top of line kitchen ware, pots and pans etc. In the end the Christmas stuff had given my children many christmas's of good memories, so I had each child, grandchild pick a few of the ones that meant the most tothem and the rest I gave to family and friends who I knew would appreciate them. Also took some to womens shelters etc, they were so very much appreciated that for me I knew it was the best decision for us. Sometimes the joy is not in having the possesion but the joy that it will bring someone else.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I like that ED, that helps. Thanks.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Alba1 I had collected handblown christmas ornament and a collection of over 27 Santas for over 25 years, many of them were gifts from friends and some from family. I had linens, good china, top of line kitchen ware, pots and pans etc. In the end the Christmas stuff had given my children many christmas's of good memories, so I had each child, grandchild pick a few of the ones that meant the most tothem and the rest I gave to family and friends who I knew would appreciate them. Also took some to womens shelters etc, they were so very much appreciated that for me I knew it was the best decision for us. Sometimes the joy is not in having the possesion but the joy that it will bring someone else.
you are right. I agree. I just have to get my head around it. I too collected hand blown Christmas ornaments from Germany and a few years ago one of my sons "helped" me by putting away the Christmas stuff and tossed the box and broke the lot...I survived that....LOL I also had a house fire once and lost everything...also survived. I will probably give my family what they want. Mostly everything will go. I think I just have to decide what I will take and the cost of shipping what I keep, if anything.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alba1
you are right. I agree. I just have to get my head around it. I too collected hand blown Christmas ornaments from Germany and a few years ago one of my sons "helped" me by putting away the Christmas stuff and tossed the box and broke the lot...I survived that....LOL I also had a house fire once and lost everything...also survived. I will probably give my family what they want. Mostly everything will go. I think I just have to decide what I will take and the cost of shipping what I keep, if anything.
Ouch..that must have hurt alba1, I absolutely cannot imagine having a house fire either but I remember storing a few items for someone who had...the smoke smell never went away all the time I stored the goods...I wonder if anyone has carried on the plane fine china..I want to take 3 pcs of Taisho-period Japanese satsuma which are vey delicate and fear I may run into difficulty..I will be checking one bag on wheels., carrying backpack and laptop ..I have decided to ship only a small trunk of things I cant carry on the aircraft ...artstuff, coat, good pair of boots, knick-knacks, few books, good set knives,family photos and my Corelle dishes..just odds and sods really..
I have looked into replacing the dishes in UK and they appear to be a rare find as well as relacing a place setting is same cost of whole set here in Cda..not much too ship I admit but then the shipping price does not come lightly either..Waiting for answer from Corelle email on my service.

House not selling here and now another going up for sale opposite me...I think maybe after the holidays market will move again...(whats that holidays) friends in UK going to Spain for Crimbo and me,...well..I will be pulling a cracker and opening a tin of pork luncheon meat again, painting another room while I wait for some semblance of normality to resume!...roll on!.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 4:31 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Note sure about the details, but people have mentioned that you can take much more luggage if you go over on the Queen Mary. Plus take pets if you book far enough in advance. If I moved back I could never leave all my stuff, I would just have to pay the price.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mallory
Note sure about the details, but people have mentioned that you can take much more luggage if you go over on the Queen Mary. Plus take pets if you book far enough in advance. If I moved back I could never leave all my stuff, I would just have to pay the price.
I too thought of going by ship but where would you land? I thought they changed the port to Southampton only but could be wrong. Then there would be cost from Southampton to wherever. worth looking into.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Ouch..that must have hurt alba1, I absolutely cannot imagine having a house fire either but I remember storing a few items for someone who had...the smoke smell never went away all the time I stored the goods...I wonder if anyone has carried on the plane fine china..I want to take 3 pcs of Taisho-period Japanese satsuma which are vey delicate and fear I may run into difficulty..I will be checking one bag on wheels., carrying backpack and laptop ..I have decided to ship only a small trunk of things I cant carry on the aircraft ...artstuff, coat, good pair of boots, knick-knacks, few books, good set knives,family photos and my Corelle dishes..just odds and sods really..
I have looked into replacing the dishes in UK and they appear to be a rare find as well as relacing a place setting is same cost of whole set here in Cda..not much too ship I admit but then the shipping price does not come lightly either..Waiting for answer from Corelle email on my service.

House not selling here and now another going up for sale opposite me...I think maybe after the holidays market will move again...(whats that holidays) friends in UK going to Spain for Crimbo and me,...well..I will be pulling a cracker and opening a tin of pork luncheon meat again, painting another room while I wait for some semblance of normality to resume!...roll on!.
the fire was about 30 years ago and yes the smell of smoke never left the little that was saved. Luckily no one was hurt and that was the main thing.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

I packed in my carry-on 5 very fragile china figurines, wrapped them up with my two changes of clothes, (just incase they lost my suitcases) and they were fine. I also had laptop in case and backpack. My carry-on had wheels so I would put the laptop bag handles over the carry-on handle while waiting to change planes. I changed planes twice and it was not too difficult, just made sure that I could hoist the bag above my head into above seat storage.

QUOTE=Relocateme;8102388]Ouch..that must have hurt alba1, I absolutely cannot imagine having a house fire either but I remember storing a few items for someone who had...the smoke smell never went away all the time I stored the goods...I wonder if anyone has carried on the plane fine china..I want to take 3 pcs of Taisho-period Japanese satsuma which are vey delicate and fear I may run into difficulty..I will be checking one bag on wheels., carrying backpack and laptop ..I have decided to ship only a small trunk of things I cant carry on the aircraft ...artstuff, coat, good pair of boots, knick-knacks, few books, good set knives,family photos and my Corelle dishes..just odds and sods really..

House not selling here and now another going up for sale opposite me...I think maybe after the holidays market will move again...(whats that holidays) friends in UK going to Spain for Crimbo and me,...well..I will be pulling a cracker and opening a tin of pork luncheon meat again, painting another room while I wait for some semblance of normality to resume!...roll on!.[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

I heard this also, but was always wondering where would your dog or cat go to the bathroom during the voyage
Originally Posted by Mallory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.