Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

[QUOTE=cheers;9002270]
Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I worked with a fellow in Las Vegas who retired from the RAF and they dropped him either in the US or Las Vegas when he was through. I thought that was strange that he could be dropped in a different country instead of the UK. Another thing he told me is he doesn't get a retirement from the RAF because he was always temporary?? Last I heard he had moved from LV to Florida with his second wife.
My Dad was in the RAF for almost 45 years..he retired twice, once in the late 70s, and again in the 90s..Thatcher called him back up i think in the early 80s sometime. He ended up as a teacher at RAF Cranwell. We had a good life, living in OZ, Cyprus, and Germany over the years.
Jackie
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Derry,
I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving too. It will be my last also, and I have to admit over the years it has been one of my favorite Holidays too, especially when I would cook for family.
This year I am going out to eat with a friend, but will still enjoy Turkey with all the trimmings.
Happy Thankgiving everyone...
Jackie
Sorry Jackie - I didn't mean to exclude you - I forgot that you are hoping to go home early next year. Enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner out with your friend!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Thanksgiving to all here in the US, and to scattered Americans like DDL/Denise, over in London!

I do think it is a nice holiday, since it emphasizes--as well as food!!!-- the importance of being grateful and counting our blessings. And there are no religious tensions or complications around it!

Tina
Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

IW120,

Thanks for your post.
Frome is one of my choices also but if you follow my posts there are a lot of choices. I remember visiting Frome and there is another town close by that I don't remember the name of, Shaftsbury maybe. That is also good.

I'm so glad you wrote down your first impressions.

Interesting about your comments about London. There is so much to do there but crowds do get to me. I don't like mobs of people.

One thing that I think about is being lonely when I go to live there. I think that women can handle that better than men and men don't want to admit it.

Cheers!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Sorry Jackie - I didn't mean to exclude you - I forgot that you are hoping to go home early next year. Enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner out with your friend!
Its ok..I didnt mind..
Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone - I am new here and posted my message elsewhere until someone kindly directed me here. Here is my post:

I have been in the U.S. far too long - 30 years. I never really adjusted that well but made the most of it. At 58, I have decided I just don't want to live here any more.

I did all my education in Britain and was a fully certified secondary school teacher before I left, but that was a long time ago and I haven't taught for many years. I would like to return to teaching there but don't know if I could since so many years have passed.

I also don't have much money to take back with me; however, I can begin to take a small pension from a 16-year long job in the U.S. at age 60 and also social security at age 60. If I do that, though, can I work in the U.K? I don't see why not but I don't know if beginning to receive social security from the U.S. would prevent me from working there. I believe in the U.S. after you start receiving social security you can only earn so much after that.

I also wonder if I could adjust. Britain will always be home and I would love to be able to readjust. I just don't know how long it takes. It took me five years to adjust to living in the U.S., probably because I didn't want to be here in the first place. I hope it doesn't take five years to readjust to Britain.

As I mentioned, I have been in the U.S. 30 years. I went back once for a two-week vacation 10 years ago - didn't want to return to the U.S. but I had commitments here at that time.

Anyway, would love your thoughts.

(I also have pets I would take with me.)

PS - I lived in the Edinburgh, Scotland area when I lived in Britain and 10 years ago I went to the Somerset area in England where my father lived when he was alive. I really like it there. I am not sure exactly where I would move to yet. I would be going alone with my pets and it is a frightening thought to go alone but I do not care for it in the U.S., especially these days.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
Hi Everyone - I am new here and posted my message elsewhere until someone kindly directed me here. Here is my post:

I have been in the U.S. far too long - 30 years. I never really adjusted that well but made the most of it. At 58, I have decided I just don't want to live here any more.

I did all my education in Britain and was a fully certified secondary school teacher before I left, but that was a long time ago and I haven't taught for many years. I would like to return to teaching there but don't know if I could since so many years have passed.

I also don't have much money to take back with me; however, I can begin to take a small pension from a 16-year long job in the U.S. at age 60 and also social security at age 60. If I do that, though, can I work in the U.K? I don't see why not but I don't know if beginning to receive social security from the U.S. would prevent me from working there. I believe in the U.S. after you start receiving social security you can only earn so much after that.

I also wonder if I could adjust. Britain will always be home and I would love to be able to readjust. I just don't know how long it takes. It took me five years to adjust to living in the U.S., probably because I didn't want to be here in the first place. I hope it doesn't take five years to readjust to Britain.

As I mentioned, I have been in the U.S. 30 years. I went back once for a two-week vacation 10 years ago - didn't want to return to the U.S. but I had commitments here at that time.

Anyway, would love your thoughts.

(I also have pets I would take with me.)
WIndsong Hi me again,..
Do you have family in the UK still?

jackie
Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

WIndsong Hi me again,..
Do you have family in the UK still?

jackie
Hi Jackie - No. I was an only child and both parents are gone.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Jackie - No. I was an only child and both parents are gone.
Oh sorry to hear that..
I am lucky as both of my parents are still alive and living in Lincolnshire, so I will be staying with them for a while until I get sorted out. I am sure it will be very frightening for you being alone, but if you are not happy in the US, you will be just fine there..its where you want to be, starting over is never easy, but as I said earlier today.. ..I would much rather do it there than here. If you remain on this thread you will meet some wonderful people, some that are all over the world, and some already moved back to the UK, and they will help you through everything.;0
Jackie
Old Nov 25th 2010, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh sorry to hear that..
I am lucky as both of my parents are still alive and living in Lincolnshire, so I will be staying with them for a while until I get sorted out. I am sure it will be very frightening for you being alone, but if you are not happy in the US, you will be just fine there..its where you want to be, starting over is never easy, but as I said earlier today.. ..I would much rather do it there than here. If you remain on this thread you will meet some wonderful people, some that are all over the world, and some already moved back to the UK, and they will help you through everything.;0
Jackie
Thank you, Jackie. I am sure it is far easier to be a divorced, older woman in the UK than it is here, especially in this economy. Thankfully, over the years I was able to keep my British values and principals. I am ever so thankful for that.

I would love to read stories of those who have already made the move and see how they adjusted, found employment, etc.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong,

Welcome to our group!

Care to say what state you live in? It is OK if you want to be anonymous

My plan is to always keep the door open to return to the US but that is relatively easy because I have children living here.

I intend to go back to the UK after being in the US for 56 years and I look forward to it.

Cheers and I'm glad you found us.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you, Jackie. I am sure it is far easier to be a divorced, older woman in the UK than it is here, especially in this economy. Thankfully, over the years I was able to keep my British values and principals. I am ever so thankful for that.

I would love to read stories of those who have already made the move and see how they adjusted, found employment, etc.
I am also divorced..and just recently diagnosed with Kidney cancer, for witch I am currently recovering from surgery, that is the reason I have to wait until February to go home. I would love to be there for Christmas, but unfortunately cant be this year. I think it will be easier for us/you. I am sure you will do very well there.. Where in the US are you?
Jackie
Old Nov 25th 2010, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Windsong,

Welcome to our group!

My plan is to always keep the door open to return to the US but that is relatively easy because I have children living here.

I intend to go back to the UK after being in the US for 56 years and I look forward to it.

56 years Cheers? WOW..That has to be the record..
Old Nov 25th 2010, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Windsong,

Welcome to our group!

Gosh, you are even braver than me - 56 years!! Long time to be away from home but good for you in making the decision to go back.

I am in Michigan - terrible economy and unemployment. That, combined, with 10 years of struggling and 30 years of trying to be American when I am not - enough! Time to go home. I am very proud to be British and even though I had to be come a U.S. citizen because of my job I never renounced my British citizenship. If having that good job meant I had to give up my British passport, I never would have taken it. In fact, I would never have set foot on U.S. soil if it hadn't been for my mother remarrying. Coming here may have been the right choice for her but it certainly wasn't for me.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

I am also divorced..and just recently diagnosed with Kidney cancer, for witch I am currently recovering from surgery, that is the reason I have to wait until February to go home. I would love to be there for Christmas, but unfortunately cant be this year. I think it will be easier for us/you. I am sure you will do very well there.. Where in the US are you?
Jackie

Oh my gosh, so sorry to hear about the cancer but hopefully now, after the surgery, you will be fine. I am so glad you have family there you can go back to - February is only a few months away now. Time to begin the countdown to going home )))

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.