Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 7th 2009, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Easterndawn..here's wishing you all the best in your new place and on the Sunday moving!

Still in "sale" mode here., although everything inside is sold or spoken for ...got a place to land now and been looking at jobs, places to rent etc; on web.

BBC.,Shelley, has its own channel on You Tube which you probably already are familiar with..I have been watching it avidly for lovely documentaries and shows

Congrats to AES1 on your new status...you must be very pleased., to be an American at last!

Having a nice break of warm weather here on the prairies with sunny days for the next week and temps between 9 and 13c...digging out the Xmas lights on Sat to put up before the snow comes
PLease advise of link of BBC on you tube... thanks
Old Nov 7th 2009, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shelley748
PLease advise of link of BBC on you tube... thanks
Just go YouTube then BBC Documentaries...there are loads to keep you entertained there
you can subscribe to ITN live news and other offerings
better than nothing right?

Also you can listen live online to your local BBC radio...just go BBC Radio Plymouth and up it comes..
Old Nov 7th 2009, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning,

That would be lovely, by that time I would certainly have some definite thoughts on things good and bad. You can PM me for any other information you might like to have. We lived in Nova Scotia for a couple of years before moving to PEI, loved the province and the people, thought that being in New Scotland might qench the need to return home, but it did not. Keep in touch
Originally Posted by eastkilbride
Easterndawn, I have been reading your blogs since you left Canada, just got up to date with all your adventures today, reading it all was more entertaining than a TV soap lol
I too are planning a move back to Scotland from Nova Scotia, been here 21 years. To help with this decision we are coming back to Scotland next May for a 3 week vacation, I will be staying with my brother, guess where, KILMARNOCK. Perhaps we could meet up for dinner some night at the "Cotton Mill" (On Me of course) and have a good chat on how you feel about everything.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Nov 7th 2009 at 8:08 am.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Was actually thinking about getting a electric blanket. I will wait and see if being able to control my own heat will make a difference to how cold I feel. MY friend only puts the heat on for about an hour in the morning and an hour or so in the evening the rest of the time it is off. It's off to work I go for a couple of hours to get my weekly dose of furry hugs and kisses. I must say that I have met some great people here, who when they they will do something they do it, never lip service. My employer, is the one who borrowed me a TV and it is her friend that I will be renting from. Another friend is coming on Sunday to move my things, and take me grocery shopping. Another has offered to take me on driving lessons. I don't know how many people that I have met have stopped to ask me if I found a place to live yet and that they had been asking around for me. This I have found is different than what I ran into back in Canada. They would say they would be there for you but most weren't. It was always seemed it was you give and I will take.
Originally Posted by trottytrue
Things seem to be moving in the right direction Easterndawn, here in New Hamsphire it gets really cold and I dont llike the heat on at night so keep it low but enough heat so the pipes dont freeze. I have two things that do keep me warm one is an electric blanket that warms the bed up so I jump and its nice and warm I turn it off once I am in bed. I also have a knee blanket by my chair in the sitting room so if I get cold I can turn that on. It does save on heating bills. When you turn the heat on you have to heat the whole house up.

Goodluck with your move and look forward to hearing how the job situation goes. For those over 60 I am not sure if you get the TV license free or reduced. I will ask my brother next time I talk to him. You get lots of perks being over 60 you also get some money at Christmas.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, I am packed and ready to go, almost as excited as I was 6 weeks ago on the night before I left Canada to come home. I don't know how I got everything into the two suitcases then, as I can't get it all into them now, and I haven't bought anything except my hot water bottle and my kettle and there not even going into the suitcases

Sad that I am not moving into this flat with my husband, but happy as I have made another step forward towards that day.

Finally got my NINO card today, so that is good and a letter telling me what I will get going toward the rent of this place, now I will screw up the whole system again and let them know that I am moving. Scottish government will come to a complete standstill, trains will stop running, fish will walk on the land, and men will learn to clean up after themselves after using the bathroom
Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

eastkilbride has a brilliant futureeastkilbride has a brilliant futureeastkilbride has a brilliant futureeastkilbride has a brilliant futureeastkilbride has a brilliant futureeastkilbride has a brilliant futureeastkilbride has a brilliant future

Come on Easterndawn, all men are not like that, I even put the seat down
Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by eastkilbride
Come on Easterndawn, all men are not like that, I even put the seat down
Old Nov 7th 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Watching and listening to the Royal Legions Remberance Festival from The Royal Albert Hall in London. Just heard Vera Lynn singing the song "Till We Meet Again", this is a Festival to celebrate the living as well as to remember the dead. Similiar to the USA Memorial Day Festival on the Mall in Washington.

Even if you don't agree with war, even if you don't agree with the politics, it certainly makes you glad to be a citizen of a the UK and all that she is, bad and good. This is home for many of us, no matter where we might live now when you here the National Anthem of Great Britain it makes your heart sing and you cannot be anything but proud to be counted as one of hers.

My heart sings with patriotism for my homeland, and nothing can change that for those of us who are back and those who will soon join us. Please take the time to remember those who have given their lives so that we may have freedom, our fathers, uncles, etc.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Nov 7th 2009 at 9:52 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I am moved and enjoying my flat immensly, my friends came just as they said they would and was moved in by noon. My new landlady and my friends actually know each other quite well, small world , found a place for everything and now just enjoying the luxory of having a home again.

I am hooked to broadband by the way of mobile usb dongle, works great, did it all by myself , quite proud actuall as I am techno inept in some ways. Haven't tried it on msn adio/video but will let you know how or if it works when hubby get home from grocery shopping
Old Nov 8th 2009, 4:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Well I am moved and enjoying my flat immensly, my friends came just as they said they would and was moved in by noon. My new landlady and my friends actually know each other quite well, small world , found a place for everything and now just enjoying the luxory of having a home again.

I am hooked to broadband by the way of mobile usb dongle, works great, did it all by myself , quite proud actuall as I am techno inept in some ways. Haven't tried it on msn adio/video but will let you know how or if it works when hubby get home from grocery shopping
I have a pay as you go dongle for my laptop in the UK.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have a pay as you go dongle for my laptop in the UK.
ok whats a dongle please?
Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Now I'm not really sure but think it is a wireless modem that you plug into your usb and it works like broadband. Can be done as pay as you go or you can get it on contract. I probable wrong as I am quite hopeless at this kind of stuff. It could be small hamsters running on a very big wheel
Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

ED is correct it's a wireless device that plugs into the USB port on your computer. Mine enables me to connect to the internet anywhere in the UK. Contracts are usually per year or per month and usually you can pay as you go...so you can top them up if required.

For me it is ideal because I only spend a few months of the year in the UK.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 8th 2009 at 6:57 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

alba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
ED is correct it's a wireless device that plugs into the USB port on your computer. Mine enables me to connect to the internet anywhere in the UK. Contracts are usually per year or per month and usually you can pay as you go...so you can top them up if required.

For me it is ideal because I only spend a few months of the year in the UK.
Is that the same as the satelite device from I think AT&T? That is a USB connection and will connect anywhere to internet.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 9:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by alba1
Is that the same as the satelite device from I think AT&T? That is a USB connection and will connect anywhere to internet.

I'm not familiar with that but it sounds like it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.