Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:20 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
Oh Cheers your so right, ohhhhh the time is just flying by so fast, have I got everything done? is there something that I forgot to do?
I still have to go into hospital to get my medical reports of last stay,
The Salvation Army is coming around to pick up my last pieces of furniture on Tuesday, just a couple of warn recliners left,
Still got the car to sell, but carmax is buying that on 22nd,
Then return plates to DMV,
Then turn off all utilities & Phone,
Its just all the last minute things that have to be done right at the end that makes you panick a bit,
Well at least all four suitcases are packed, trouble is now Im worried about the weight, what if one or two of the bags are a little overweight they only allow you 50 pounds, --- over that and the dreaded overweight charge applies, an extra $50 each case, on top of the $50 per case for the 3 extra cases,
The way I way them is I stand on the bathroom scales and get my weight and then do same but holding the case and just deduct my weight from that weight and thats it, but I worry how exact is that,
I remember reading Anna's posts just before she left the States to go and live to Malta, well she was just like I am now, but this is what she said, --- well I hope Ive taken care of everything but If not then ---- well its too late when Im on the plane,
And when she got to Malta she said well this is my time now to Just completely forget about my life in the US, and just have fun and be me, all worries out the door, this is my new life --- so nothing else to think about,
and life is way too short for worrying about anything,
I want to be Just like her when I grow up
Rodney.
Oh yes our Anna has a great attitude, we could all of us learn from her!!
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
If this works, this is the view from the balcony of my flat and one of wee Macgregor, at two weeks old wee Mac for short.Attachment 96902

Hey it worked
Nice photos - thanks for sharing them. What a cute little dog! He looks adorable.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
That is lovely ED....there is nothing like having a water view whether it be the sea, lake (loch) or river. It is ever changing and always some movement which I love and find very comforting.

I am so sorry about your car back in Canada. I do hope this gets resolved for you. I tried to find a similar situation on a Kia forum for you but don't have too much time to play on the internet right now as I will be homeless as of Tuesday. Moving into friend's house until departing for London in just over a week. Very exciting times ahead but also scary having ones lifetime in boxes with no home. It's all good.
High Tide: I relate - boxes, no fixed address. My luggage is stored with friends in one area of London, I am in another with what I need for daily living only. Went to Job Centre Plus today to sign on for Job Seekers Allowance - only to find out that I am too old! I am 61, so have to claim the Pension instead. So tomorrow will find me in the Citizens Advice in Croydon asking for help with that, because my claim is not that simple: years in the UK + years in the US + child care in the UK years ago + do I need to tag onto my former husband's payments (if I do not have enough credits on my own). And after 2 calls and multiple emails to/from the Pensions people, they have still not answered my questions, and instead just sent me an application form to fill out. Sigh. One more go tomorrow. Rosie
Old Nov 15th 2010, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

I found a website to help a lot of us on this thread - even the young ones may like to have a look at what awaits them! Forewarned is forearmed, a very useful site.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/

rosie
Old Nov 15th 2010, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Rodney I have no idea and I am soooo scared, but really what are my possessions but wood, glass and material?? My friend came here with 3 suitcases of clothes and $3000 and she is OK, as will I be.........I spoke to my sister last night......the one whose husband died and she told me there will always be a place for me at her home....SO I will do this thing sell up all I have and arrive with very little ..........but I am a worker not a shirker......and I will be fine.......gulp....still scared though............
BARB (THATS THE SPIRIT) I love it!!!
You will be fine this time around, especially with the support from your Sister,
And Just think, if you lived with her, it would be great for both of you,
both of you will have each other for company, and until you get a Job at least it would be Ideal for you,
And if you wanted to stay on with your Sister then it would be a lot cheaper then paying rent in your own place, and all you would have to do is split the utility bills and everything right down the middle like me and my Mum will be doing, good luck on selling everything, and keep that attitude, most important, and do not listen to any negatives from anyone,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

BARB (THATS THE SPIRIT) I love it!!!
You will be fine this time around, especially with the support from your Sister,
And Just think, if you lived with her, it would be great for both of you,
both of you will have each other for company, and until you get a Job at least it would be Ideal for you,
And if you wanted to stay on with your Sister then it would be a lot cheaper then paying rent in your own place, and all you would have to do is split the utility bills and everything right down the middle like me and my Mum will be doing, good luck on selling everything, and keep that attitude, most important, and do not listen to any negatives from anyone,
Take care,
Rodney.
Rodney, will you seek a job when you get settled back in the UK?
Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:53 pm
Corrie Fan

hutchiebug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I took my dog for a walk to day. It was really beautiful weather the leaves are falling and I was thinking about the smell of the leaves on the ground and although it was pretty it was just not the same as home and then this song came to mind and I think it sums it up without me having to say anything. The song was a hit by Andy Stewart years ago. I can still hear it my Dad had it on a record. He was a Scot so he loved the bagpipes and everything Scottish. But here is the chorus which fits anywhere in the UK.

Because these green hills are not highland hills
Or the island hills, the're not my land's hills
And fair as these green foreign hills may be
They are not the hills of home.
Hi Trottytrue - I've been away nearly 30 years and I still have this song going through my head too.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

alba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=hutchiebug;8983794]Hi Trottytrue - I've been away nearly 30 years and I still have this song going through my head too.[/QUOTE

me too. same song. I used to sing it to my kids when they were young.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Oh Cheers your so right, ohhhhh the time is just flying by so fast, have I got everything done? is there something that I forgot to do?
I still have to go into hospital to get my medical reports of last stay,
The Salvation Army is coming around to pick up my last pieces of furniture on Tuesday, just a couple of warn recliners left,
Still got the car to sell, but carmax is buying that on 22nd,
Then return plates to DMV,
Then turn off all utilities & Phone,
Its just all the last minute things that have to be done right at the end that makes you panick a bit,
Well at least all four suitcases are packed, trouble is now Im worried about the weight, what if one or two of the bags are a little overweight they only allow you 50 pounds, --- over that and the dreaded overweight charge applies, an extra $50 each case, on top of the $50 per case for the 3 extra cases,
The way I way them is I stand on the bathroom scales and get my weight and then do same but holding the case and just deduct my weight from that weight and thats it, but I worry how exact is that,
I remember reading Anna's posts just before she left the States to go and live to Malta, well she was just like I am now, but this is what she said, --- well I hope Ive taken care of everything but If not then ---- well its too late when Im on the plane,
And when she got to Malta she said well this is my time now to Just completely forget about my life in the US, and just have fun and be me, all worries out the door, this is my new life --- so nothing else to think about,
and life is way too short for worrying about anything,
I want to be Just like her when I grow up
Rodney.
A little bird told me I had been mentioned

Rodney, GOOD LUCK AND QUIT THE WORRYING AS SOON AS YOU ARE ON THE PLANE!!!! Everything is as it should be in your life, whether you appreciate it or not. So you may as well enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!

Will be thinking of you, sending good energy, and PLEASE don't grow up!!! I never have!! That's the trick........stay a child forever
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh yes our Anna has a great attitude, we could all of us learn from her!!
Thanks Barb!!!!!!!!!! I am still working at that attitude, but it really does make a huge difference. Wake up every morning with the excitement of a child, not knowing what great adventure will take place that day.........and at the end of the day, remember only the positive parts of it

BTW I am in England at the moment........just a week, go back to Malta on Wednesday. Staying with my sister (between M'bro and Guisborough), picking up my winter clothes, for when it soon drops from 19 Celsius to 15 Celsius in Malta!!!!! Must admit, England seems pretty big compared with where I live now!!!! Last time I was here it was small compared with the States. Just goes to prove, everything is about perspective and is relative.

Till next time, good luck and easy living to everyone, wherever you are now
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Rodney, will you seek a job when you get settled back in the UK?
Hi Celticspirit,
NOPE ----- I will be retired, will be living on my US social security, I figure 15 to 65 is (50 years of work) and that is quite enough, now its time for me and Mum to have fun
Take care
Rodney.
PS ---- and I sure need a rest
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aes1
A little bird told me I had been mentioned

Rodney, GOOD LUCK AND QUIT THE WORRYING AS SOON AS YOU ARE ON THE PLANE!!!! Everything is as it should be in your life, whether you appreciate it or not. So you may as well enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!

Will be thinking of you, sending good energy, and PLEASE don't grow up!!! I never have!! That's the trick........stay a child forever
Anna, your a sweetheart,
Thanks for coming on here again, it does not surprise me that you have at least for a bit longer have decided to stay in Malta, I have read all your adventures from a while ago, I remember everyone of them too, what a freaking memory I have
Now I bet theres a whole lot more adventures that you have had since your last postings way back when, we would love to here them, do you have a Job in Malta yet? are you teaching? enquiring minds want to know,
God bless you, and keep that attitude,
And by the way how's my sweater going? are you at least half way through knitting it yet?
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello Mummy - my sentiments exactly. Why not still the good old Union Jack? Why all this individual flags thing. I have two Union Jacks here, on proud display on our China Cabinet - with two English Country Roses Tea Sets. ----Hope you are well - We are counting down now - 100 days to go. Flights are booked! (British Airways) Love Don xx
Don, The reason the Union Jack is going out of fashion is simple. The Welsh and Scots fly their own flags and have their own Parliaments, as do the Northern Irish. For years these countries have had a better deal than the poor old English serfs. We do not have our own Parliament, we have to pay for hospital car parking etc, and a lot of people have had enough of being taken for a ride. Each country should be treated the same, but this has been
created to give the Labour Party a bigger share of the votes in Scotland and Wales. Sorry about the political side of this post, but sometimes it is not possible to ignore this aspect of life. I have no problem with the Welsh and Scots, and are friends with several, but I am English and our flag is the St Georges Cross. That is life, I'm afraid. Best of luck to all the "clock watchers"and all others on this forum
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bluenose123
Don, The reason the Union Jack is going out of fashion is simple. The Welsh and Scots fly their own flags and have their own Parliaments, as do the Northern Irish. For years these countries have had a better deal than the poor old English serfs. We do not have our own Parliament, we have to pay for hospital car parking etc, and a lot of people have had enough of being taken for a ride. Each country should be treated the same, but this has been
created to give the Labour Party a bigger share of the votes in Scotland and Wales. Sorry about the political side of this post, but sometimes it is not possible to ignore this aspect of life. I have no problem with the Welsh and Scots, and are friends with several, but I am English and our flag is the St Georges Cross. That is life, I'm afraid. Best of luck to all the "clock watchers"and all others on this forum
I asked the same question since being here - all the English flags and few Union Flags. I was told the National Front have taken over the Union Flag and no one wants to be represented by them, hence the various countries flying their own - whether this is true or not I do not know - I will find out as time goes on.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Celticspirit,
NOPE ----- I will be retired, will be living on my US social security, I figure 15 to 65 is (50 years of work) and that is quite enough, now its time for me and Mum to have fun
Take care
Rodney.
PS ---- and I sure need a rest
I hope the rest of your life will be wonderful!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.