British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-60s-moving-back-uk-629454/)

shelley748 Nov 5th 2009 8:20 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Rodney you are so right- its part of the British Culture to keep a stiff upper lip-other nationalities give up!!

Maybe thats why there is such a lot of good humour in British life and TV...for sure its lacking in Canada, unless you want to watch something called "The little mosque on the Prairie" (seriously and its not even funny!!!).

Anyways good luck to you in your quest and by spending time with your Mum in her young age-after all its just a number!!!

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 8074091)
Hi again easterndawn,
Just been looking through the past comments to keep up with everything, yes you are so very right when you say that of the British people just getting on with life no matter how bad it gets sometimes, we are a hardy bunch of people for sure, and your right especially the Women, when I think of my Mother who is now 90 and living alone for the past 20 years since my Father died, she has many friends though who she has known for 60 years or more, and they get together a few days every week and go places together, she is a very strong willed women like you, she just gets on with life and does not let anything get her down, I call her every week on a Sunday and we talk for an hour on the phone as my rates here in the states are just a few pennies a minute to call England, and I so look forward to it every week and so does she, I take my hat off to you Easterndawn, you have gone through so much since you arrived in Scotland, a lot of problems to deal with, but you got on with it right away, keep on trying and trying and you will get a job so you can pay the bills, and then after can look around for the dream job that you want, you are truely an inspiration to us all still stuck over here on the other side of the atlantic who will be returning home shortly,
I myself can hardy wait to set foot on British soil again, at the moment am very excited that I have finally applied for U.S. citizenship, just waiting now for everything to happen and the interview, whatever happens I will return to U.K. within the year, I have no house to sell so that makes things a lot easier,
Anyway keep your chin up and keep that british stiff upper lip, I dont think we ever loose that do we,
Regards,
Rodney.

jasper123 Nov 5th 2009 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by shelley748 (Post 8074113)
Rodney you are so right- its part of the British Culture to keep a stiff upper lip-other nationalities give up!!

Maybe thats why there is such a lot of good humour in British life and TV...for sure its lacking in Canada, unless you want to watch something called "The little mosque on the Prairie" (seriously and its not even funny!!!).

Anyways good luck to you in your quest and by spending time with your Mum in her young age-after all its just a number!!!

Hi Shelley,
Thanks for your reply, your so right about the TV over in U.K. the humour is so much different then in north America, in the states we have all these so called sit - com's that American people just think are so funny judjing by the ratings, but I have not found anything funny on TV here since the 70's & early 80's when I used to watch ---- all in the family, and the jeffersons, and married with children, lavern & shirley, happy days, the list just goes on, the days of quality TV over here, and all the great variety shows like perry como and andy williams, laurence welk show, oh there were so many, and now these days we have 200 plus channels with nothing on, can't wait to get back to my people in England, rain and all,

Auld Yin Nov 5th 2009 11:23 pm

IMO the TV in the UK is neither better nor worse than that in North America. It's just different. Senses of humour are different. What's so wrong about that? Have you checked out a UK tv guide? It is awash in reality/decorating/real estate shows combined with very many US made drama shows. Daytime TV there is as brain-numbing as it is here. The BBC produces a quality of TV unmatched anywhere in the world but I don't believe that's what the UK great unwashed watch. BBC is the only British TV I wish we received here. There is plenty of good TV available in NA if one is selective and avoids all the junk (basically the same junk as in the UK).

aes1 Nov 5th 2009 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 8074536)
IMO the TV in the UK is neither better nor worse than that in North America. It's just different. Senses of humour are different. What's so wrong about that? Have you checked out a UK tv guide? It is awash in reality/decorating/real estate shows combined with very many US made drama shows. Daytime TV there is as brain-numbing as it is here. The BBC produces a quality of TV unmatched anywhere in the world but I don't believe that's what the UK great unwashed watch. BBC is the only British TV I wish we received here. There is plenty of good TV available in NA if one is selective and avoids all the junk (basically the same junk as in the UK).

How does the TV system work in the UK now? By that I mean what are the choices in cost per month, what do you get for minimum cost, and is there an annual license fee? How much does a TV set cost? Anyone know?

shelley748 Nov 5th 2009 11:49 pm

HI there

Nothings wrong with being different as long as it IS funny- the Americans have done a very poor job of an USA version of the "Office", its not as funny as the UK one.

What the TV lacks here in Canada is humorous programming full stop. The CRTC have banned us having live feeds from the "evil Americans" because there has to be a certain amount of "Canadian Content" and yet the Canadian Offerings are really pathetic.

The only decent Canadian produced prgram IMHO is "Flashpoint".

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 8074536)

Auld Yin Nov 6th 2009 12:56 am

Originally Posted by shelley748 (Post 8074586)
HI there

Nothings wrong with being different as long as it IS funny- the Americans have done a very poor job of an USA version of the "Office", its not as funny as the UK one.

What the TV lacks here in Canada is humorous programming full stop. The CRTC have banned us having live feeds from the "evil Americans" because there has to be a certain amount of "Canadian Content" and yet the Canadian Offerings are really pathetic.

The only decent Canadian produced prgram IMHO is "Flashpoint".

With all due respect, because you don't get NA funny it doesn't make it not funny. Billy Connolly has said that nothing's right or wrong, it's just that you (I) do not get it. When shows cross the ocean they do not always do it well. Someone not having seen the UK version may think the NA version hysterical whereas you've had the benefit of seeing the original and automatically compare.

Easterndawn Nov 6th 2009 7:49 am

Hi Rodney,
I was able to open an account at Lloyds, it was very easy, just had to show them my passport and give them my address. They also gave me an internatinal number so that money can be transferred when we sell our house.

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 8073974)
Hi Easterndawn,
I have been following your move back to the U.K. and am very happy for you that you found your own place to live, sounds like a nice cozy flat, and it certainly sounds that you are starting to settle in to the new life, and when your Hubby comes over you can look around for a bigger place,
It made me laugh when you said you went to the local pub and people were making fun of your accent --- in fun, it reminded me of when I go home for a visit when I met people that did not know me like in stores & different places they ask are you American? and then I say no but I have lived in the U.S. for half my life, but I was born and raised right here in Portsmouth,
my situation is different from yours, I am single and 64 and plan to return to U.K. next year sometime, I will be living with my Mum in her house who is 90 and I just want to spend as much time with her while I still can, we can't turn back the clock and say we wished we didn't miss all those years with our family, all my family live in England, I came here to U.S. alone 32 years ago, I am waiting to get my citizenship over here and it should not take long I hope, I am sooooo looking forward to going back home, I know it wont be easy at first just getting used to a new life, but like you easterndawn I will make it and I will stay,
I get social security over here and it will be plenty to live on over there as I wont need to pay rent just half of all the bills and food etc etc once I get it transferred to England and they just pay it into your bank account direct debit, but first I will have to get a bank account over there, have you opened an account yet? and is it easy and quick or did they give you any problems?
It is so much easier of course when you dont have to go searching for a job when you move over, so I thank my lucky stars that I am of the age of retirement, I will also they say get a little state pension from England based on the amount of years that I worked in England before I came over here,
Good luck, Rodney.

Easterndawn Nov 6th 2009 8:08 am

Hi aes1;
Here a lot of people seem to have a satellite system called Skyview. You can also purchase a Freeview modem at Asda etc, for about £22.00, when connected gives you about 60-70 channels at no other cost than the purchase of the modem. I have been told that all new TV's now have this system built in. I think you still pay a liscense, but don't know how much. I could try to find out though. There must be other options, perhaps other people might now better.

Originally Posted by aes1 (Post 8074552)
How does the TV system work in the UK now? By that I mean what are the choices in cost per month, what do you get for minimum cost, and is there an annual license fee? How much does a TV set cost? Anyone know?

aes1 Nov 6th 2009 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Easterndawn (Post 8075289)
Hi aes1;
Here a lot of people seem to have a satellite system called Skyview. You can also purchase a Freeview modem at Asda etc, for about £22.00, when connected gives you about 60-70 channels at no other cost than the purchase of the modem. I have been told that all new TV's now have this system built in. I think you still pay a liscense, but don't know how much. I could try to find out though. There must be other options, perhaps other people might now better.

ED, is this weekend the big move??? How's the weather now? Any more news on jobs? Anything new to report for all us homesick people waiting on the shore with bags packed for our boat to come in???? :rofl: BTW Does anyone remember an English TV program back in the late 70s, early 80s set in Newcastle? May have been called "When the Boat comes in", but I could be wrong in that. It was a weekly drama, and the characters all had thick accents, which even I, from M'bro (not too far away), sometimes had trouble understanding!! I loved that show!!!!

Easterndawn Nov 6th 2009 12:18 pm

Yes, the move is this weekend, really can't wait. My friend must believe in living in a cold climate, as for the past few days I have been freezing my a-- off, no thought to global warming in this house. Have used my hot water bottle and my hair dryer to keep warm as well as being under the covers.

Last night was Guy Fawkes night last night, lots of fireworks and they went on for a quite a while, enjoyed to spectacle from my bedroom window. It has been raining for the past few days but not really that cold. Still lots of flowers blooming, had a laugh last week as I read in the local newspaper that the summer blooms were to be uprooted in the park and winter pansies and bulbs would be planted. I thought not where I used to live you would plant anything at this time of year, so look forward to seeing flowers all year long.

Have plans to take the bus soon to my home town where still have family living, and have a good visit. Would love to go down to London before Christmas but can't see it happening this year, oh well, lots of time to do things like that and it will be so much better when hubby comes.

Nothing on the job front yet, but I am sure it will come.

Originally Posted by aes1 (Post 8075754)
ED, is this weekend the big move??? How's the weather now? Any more news on jobs? Anything new to report for all us homesick people waiting on the shore with bags packed for our boat to come in???? :rofl: BTW Does anyone remember an English TV program back in the late 70s, early 80s set in Newcastle? May have been called "When the Boat comes in", but I could be wrong in that. It was a weekly drama, and the characters all had thick accents, which even I, from M'bro (not too far away), sometimes had trouble understanding!! I loved that show!!!!

aes1 Nov 6th 2009 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Easterndawn (Post 8075812)
Yes, the move is this weekend, really can't wait. My friend must believe in living in a cold climate, as for the past few days I have been freezing my a-- off, no thought to global warming in this house. Have used my hot water bottle and my hair dryer to keep warm as well as being under the covers.

Last night was Guy Fawkes night last night, lots of fireworks and they went on for a quite a while, enjoyed to spectacle from my bedroom window. It has been raining for the past few days but not really that cold. Still lots of flowers blooming, had a laugh last week as I read in the local newspaper that the summer blooms were to be uprooted in the park and winter pansies and bulbs would be planted. I thought not where I used to live you would plant anything at this time of year, so look forward to seeing flowers all year long.

Have plans to take the bus soon to my home town where still have family living, and have a good visit. Would love to go down to London before Christmas but can't see it happening this year, oh well, lots of time to do things like that and it will be so much better when hubby comes.

Nothing on the job front yet, but I am sure it will come.

That's so funny ED, freezing your a....off there! I am in sunny, almost semitropical Charleston - I was walking on the beach without a jacket yesterday lunch time - and now am wearing gloves this morning to type at my computer!! My heat actually came on for the first time since last winter when I got up this morning! I am complaining because the temp has dropped to 15 Celsius in my house overnight!!! Boy, am I in for a shock when I come over.......Better go out now and stock up on some ear muffs, hats and woolen long johns:rofl:

trottytrue Nov 6th 2009 3:26 pm

Things seem to be moving in the right direction Easterndawn, here in New Hamsphire it gets really cold and I dont llike the heat on at night so keep it low but enough heat so the pipes dont freeze. I have two things that do keep me warm one is an electric blanket that warms the bed up so I jump and its nice and warm I turn it off once I am in bed. I also have a knee blanket by my chair in the sitting room so if I get cold I can turn that on. It does save on heating bills. When you turn the heat on you have to heat the whole house up.

Goodluck with your move and look forward to hearing how the job situation goes. For those over 60 I am not sure if you get the TV license free or reduced. I will ask my brother next time I talk to him. You get lots of perks being over 60 you also get some money at Christmas.

Elvira Nov 6th 2009 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by aes1 (Post 8074552)

Annual license is 142.50 :

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/

For this you get more channels (and radio!!) than you'll ever have time to watch.

It's worth it for Radio 4 alone :)

Relocateme Nov 6th 2009 5:06 pm

Easterndawn..here's wishing you all the best in your new place and on the Sunday moving!

Still in "sale" mode here., although everything inside is sold or spoken for ...got a place to land now and been looking at jobs, places to rent etc; on web.

BBC.,Shelley, has its own channel on You Tube which you probably already are familiar with..I have been watching it avidly for lovely documentaries and shows

Congrats to AES1 on your new status...you must be very pleased., to be an American at last!

Having a nice break of warm weather here on the prairies with sunny days for the next week and temps between 9 and 13c...digging out the Xmas lights on Sat to put up before the snow comes:thumbup:

eastkilbride Nov 6th 2009 9:08 pm

Easterndawn, I have been reading your blogs since you left Canada, just got up to date with all your adventures today, reading it all was more entertaining than a TV soap lol
I too are planning a move back to Scotland from Nova Scotia, been here 21 years. To help with this decision we are coming back to Scotland next May for a 3 week vacation, I will be staying with my brother, guess where, KILMARNOCK. Perhaps we could meet up for dinner some night at the "Cotton Mill" (On Me of course) and have a good chat on how you feel about everything.