Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by cheers
Rodney,

I got confused and I thought you were going back to Bournemouth, sorry, I'll check on Plymouth from now on.

Cheers mate
hi cheers, no Im going back to Portsmouth (my home town) Plymouth is where my Sister lives,
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
You wrote you didn't know Durham (I'm sorry I can't find your original quote). Well neither did I until I was in my early 50's and was on a train from Manchester to Newcastle. I was awestruck. I had seen TV pictures & 'photos, but was completely unaware of the impact of seeing it for real. The place is awe inspiring, it's history even more so.

After seeing it, in real life, I couldn't wait to go back. I since have spent several days there & I think it is one of the most unique places on Earth. Bill Bryson, an American writer, born Des Moines, Iowa agrees with me. Also, when you are back, visit the holy island of Lindisfarne & an excavated fort at a place called Chesters in Northumberland.

The history of the north of England is a really amazing thing &, like you, I love it. When you eventually return, explore North Wales. Betws-y-Coed is beautiful as is Anglesey. I could probably go on for ever about Wales. Love the place.

Here's the link to Durham. Let me know what you think.

Valerie

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/e...rham-cathedral
Hi Gagain,
Absolutely Amazing the Durham Cathedral, the Architecture is unbelievable,
Thanks for posting that link, and its a thousand years old and still going strong, I was in my Dads birthplace of Pembrook Dock, South Wales years ago and I was looking at this house that was still being lived in and it was 930 years old,
You talk about Wales, that is my all time favorite place in the whole of the world, the whole country of Wales,
Rodney.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
hi cheers, no Im going back to Portsmouth (my home town) Plymouth is where my Sister lives,
I have totally mixed up your destination. I have had it as Bournemouth and Plymouth and I've finally got it straight, it is Portsmouth. I was working from memory and it shows Portsmouth right on your profile. I've got a lot of things going on 'me ed' I suppose.

Last edited by cheers; Nov 11th 2010 at 10:37 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
You wrote you didn't know Durham (I'm sorry I can't find your original quote). Well neither did I until I was in my early 50's and was on a train from Manchester to Newcastle. I was awestruck. I had seen TV pictures & 'photos, but was completely unaware of the impact of seeing it for real. The place is awe inspiring, it's history even more so.

After seeing it, in real life, I couldn't wait to go back. I since have spent several days there & I think it is one of the most unique places on Earth. Bill Bryson, an American writer, born Des Moines, Iowa agrees with me. Also, when you are back, visit the holy island of Lindisfarne & an excavated fort at a place called Chesters in Northumberland.

The history of the north of England is a really amazing thing &, like you, I love it. When you eventually return, explore North Wales. Betws-y-Coed is beautiful as is Anglesey. I could probably go on for ever about Wales. Love the place.

Here's the link to Durham. Let me know what you think.

Valerie

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/e...rham-cathedral
Thanks Valarie.
I will have to check out all those wonderful places when I return, I doubt I will live long enough to see all the beauty of the British Isles, Ive been to Wales a few times and many places south of were I was born, I just need to explore further north.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Just a quick update about "Broken Britain."

As I have posted on here a few weeks ago my son went back to England on Saturday 23rd October, both to go to my sister's husband's funeral and he felt the need to re-connect with family.

He emailed me this morning, yesterday their time Wednesday 10th November he was informed he had gotten a job he applied for. It is pick and pack in a warehouse for now but they want to look at him for a supervisor role. It is for a distribution centre for Tesco and he starts next Monday. So not too bad eh? OK he is a lot younger than us, but there ARE jobs out there if you want one........like he said the pay isn't as good as the one he left in Australia, but it's a start!!

So much for Broken Britain and no jobs to be had, less than 3 weeks and he has one..........
Thats Wonderful Barbara, Good for Him, a Positive story in the negative world.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=cheers;8974491]
After hearing on the news tonight the big cuts that they are proposing in the US budget and those in the UK we are going to go on a very rocky ride financially (well they have to come up with the money from somewhere to pay the CEO's on Wall Street). If you haven't heard they want to cut social security and eliminate cost of living increases and then they want to cut medicare and raise the age for social security eligibility. Oh, and raise the gas tax by 12 cents a gallon.These are just some of their proposals. Unfortunately, no word on cutting the benefits of congressmen (fat chance)

Hello Cheers.
I dont mind paying another 12 cents in taxes as long as it used to fix the roads, here in Oregon they always vote against tax increases on Gas, I use plenty but dont mind paying, its a case of fixing now or later, you just cant have it both ways...

Congressmen hahhaaaaa did you see how much people are making working for the Govt, Peas in a Pod.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Fish n Chips 56;8976622]
After hearing on the news tonight the big cuts that they are proposing in the US budget and those in the UK we are going to go on a very rocky ride financially (well they have to come up with the money from somewhere to pay the CEO's on Wall Street). If you haven't heard they want to cut social security and eliminate cost of living increases and then they want to cut medicare and raise the age for social security eligibility. Oh, and raise the gas tax by 12 cents a gallon.These are just some of their proposals. Unfortunately, no word on cutting the benefits of congressmen (fat chance)

Hello Cheers.
I dont mind paying another 12 cents in taxes as long as it used to fix the roads, here in Oregon they always vote against tax increases on Gas, I use plenty but dont mind paying, its a case of fixing now or later, you just cant have it both ways...

Congressmen hahhaaaaa did you see how much people are making working for the Govt, Peas in a Pod.
They want to raise the retirement age to 69..really..69?? that is just ridiculous..
Old Nov 11th 2010, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Yes David,
My Mum & Dad bought the house (where my mother is living to this very day in Portsmouth)
in the 60's for 3,700 pounds,
How Expensive, Rodney! As a sitting tenant, in 1971, I bought off the Ministry of Defence, the house we were in, Four bed, Semi, with Driveway, for £2,120.
Sold it, Four years later, in 1975 for £8,500, and bought a 3 bedroomed detached bungalow, on mortgage, for £14,000.
Sold that in 1999, for £100,000, and bought the one I own now, a detached house, with four bedrooms, and integral garage, for £85,000. - before I left for here, it was valued at £250,000 - but now worth about £160,000. It is only money! Bye Take care, Don
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

I have totally mixed up your destination. I have had it as Bournemouth and Plymouth and I've finally got it straight, it is Portsmouth. I was working from memory and it shows Portsmouth right on your profile. I've got a lot of things going on 'me ed' I suppose.
Thats perfectly understandable cheers, I have so much going on in my head right now too, you know trying to not forget any fine detail that is on my list of things to do, I must not forget to do anything, and I keep checking things off the list as I do them, and sometimes I remember another thing I have to do, its a bit overpowering for me at the moment, thank goodness I do have my friend Art who is very organized, and he will make sure everythings done,
Its just that all this final moving thing and uprooting myself from everything I have known for so long is unknown territory for me, never did this before,
One things for sure when I get back home I will stay there for good, I cant go through all this again,
Take care,
Rodney.
PS cheers I am having fun on youtube myself lately watching very old British TV shows that I used to love, I have only recently got onto youtube, I love it, I know you do too, tell me something can we access youtube from the UK when we get there?
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

I am having fun on youtube myself lately watching very old British TV shows that I used to love, I have only recently got onto youtube, I love it, I know you do too, tell me something can we access youtube from the UK when we get there?
Het Rodney...

Go to You Tube and type in
Reliant Robin as Space Shuttle Part One,
Watch it then watch part two, then let us know what you think...

You'll see your old Reliant as youve never seen it before, I hope you like it, Its from the Show Top Gear.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=ldyinlv;8976637]
Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
They want to raise the retirement age to 69..really..69?? that is just ridiculous..
Yes jackie but this is going to be gradual over 75 years, I think people in there mid 50,s to 60,s now really dont have to worry too much about it ---- unless someone discovers the fountain of youth
But yes our grown children need to worry a little I think,
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=jasper123;8976918]
Originally Posted by ldyinlv

Yes jackie but this is going to be gradual over 75 years, I think people in there mid 50,s to 60,s now really dont have to worry too much about it ---- unless someone discovers the fountain of youth
But yes our grown children need to worry a little I think,
Dont worry about it Rod... They've done something similar in the UK, I think its 67 over there, I'm not too worried as I expect to be working at that age anyway.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
How Expensive, Rodney! As a sitting tenant, in 1971, I bought off the Ministry of Defence, the house we were in, Four bed, Semi, with Driveway, for £2,120.
Sold it, Four years later, in 1975 for £8,500, and bought a 3 bedroomed detached bungalow, on mortgage, for £14,000.
Sold that in 1999, for £100,000, and bought the one I own now, a detached house, with four bedrooms, and integral garage, for £85,000. - before I left for here, it was valued at £250,000 - but now worth about £160,000. It is only money! Bye Take care, Don
Don that is very interesting, I hope your doing OK, you know I was thinking about one of your previous posts recently when you said about your hairdresser over there, you get a haircut/pedicure/manicure/ and back & kneck treatment also --- all for that terribly high price of 2 pounds
Alright for some !!!! and I thought I was getting a good deal at my hairdresser here, a haircut for $10,
Take care,
Rodney.

Last edited by jasper123; Nov 12th 2010 at 2:40 am. Reason: add word
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Het Rodney...

You'll see your old Reliant as youve never seen it before, I hope you like it, Its from the Show Top Gear.
OK Fish here I go, I ve caught up with our thread now and so going to youtube now and type in that Reliant thing, I will let you know,
Old Nov 12th 2010, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Het Rodney...

Hi Fish,
OK I have just this minute finished watching part one and part two, well I can say its different it was very interesting, never seen Top Gear before, I particulary liked the opening of the part 2 when the mission impossible music came on, added a bit of excitement,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.