Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Hi everyone, sorry not able to read the pages and pages since my last visit........
just 6 days left now, loved every minute of it, some very tough times ahead for me thats for sure.
My family ( and for those who dont know my story) 3 teenagers, twins 18 and a 19 year old and UK husband seem to have survived with out me...... I want to return to the UK to live my mind is made up, but well it will be alone or not at all.
I have a wonderful supportive family here though and that will help.

Denise 2, did see your posts, happy to know all is well, and I was in town today and the Christmas lights were being put up and a huge tree and Christmas music was playing.....
Rodney, so close now.......
Welcome to new faces!
Enjoy your last 6 days with your family in the UK!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Georgew13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Correct, you can do a 10 day trial for a few $$$ it worked better at my daughters than it does here, it works better in the daytime than night for whatever reason, but for me it is good enough, I used to have cable but can't afford it now, so this gives me my fix of Coronation Street and other UK Shows, can also log onto remote servers in the USA, Canada, Ireland, Germany, etc, etc.......

http://www.identitycloaker.com/

Wow just checked it out and the demo is free, go for it and give it a whirl!!

http://www.identitycloaker.com/cms/free-demo
Try expatshield.com, it's free and allows me to watch BBC here in the USA
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rod,

20 days to go, old chap.

I was checking on rents in Poole, Dorset and they are very high so I think that is a high rent district of Bournemouth.

Cheers
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

I can SO relate to you Charleygirl even though my "kids" are a lot older than yours........take care and even though you don't really know me, know I am thinking of you and how you are feeling right now.

I am thinking July next year unless circumstances change before then.....
Hi charleygirl,
So pleased you have enjoyed you holiday back home, but only 6 days to go so you have to cram as much in now as you can, I really no what your saying about your family over here and children, did I read you correctly have you made up your mind for sure to move back to UK? and you feel that you will be going back home alone? Its really good that your family in UK are very supportive, have you thought how long it would be before you are able to move home for good,

Barb you say that you are hoping to move home from Oz to UK again in July of next year, is this your mind made up, and will this be for good this time?
or did I read that wrong?

Take care,
Rodney.

E
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Impey
Rodney, good evening or is it morning over there?

About the London Freedom Pass, you have to be resident in one of the London Boroughs to get one, at the moment you have to be 60 to apply, and you can travel all over England free but not Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland (where you have to pay).

When I was down in Southsea recently, hopping on and off the local buses (perhaps hop is not the right word as at the moment I walk with a stick (osteo-arthritis), which conveniently folds up while I am doing my business in the shops etc), I noticed that the local free bus pass issued to Southsea/Portsmouth residents had a "red Rose" motif on the front, similar to that on mine, which means that if you got one down there, you could also travel all over England free.

How are you getting to Portsmouth from Gatwick? Did you know there are direct trains to Portsmouth and Southsea from Gatwick? When I met a friend recently at LGW, we got on the train (if I remember right it was every hour). Just had a thought, perhaps someone is meeting you.

Just renewed my library books online (very handy if you don't feel like traipsing round there in the morning).

Easterndawn, saw in your post what you said about Xmas Day. I always used to spend that day with my Mum, and even though she has been gone 19 years, it still feels very strange without her. It is very spooky (if that is the right word) in London Xmas Day as there are no buses, tubes or trains, and the only people about in the afternoon and evening are the poor vulnerable people who have nowhere else to go and who sit/lie in the doorways homeless. This is the other not so nice side of the capital I am sorry to say. There is an organisation called Crisis at Xmas which does provide a few locations where homeless folks can go, get a Xmas dinner, company, perhaps see a doctor etc, but a lot of people don't want to leave the doorway they have found for myself, in case others jump in. Sorry if this all sounds depressing, hope that I have not put anybody off (just telling it how it is).

Hope everybody else on here is OK and hope all your dreams and plans come true in the not too distant future.

Impey
Thanks Impy,
Sorry to hear about you Osteo Arthritis it must be very painful for you,
About the local bus pass that I will apply for when I get back, you say that if it has a red rose on the front then I could travel all over England, could you please clarify this for me if you dont mind, does it mean that say for example I wanted to travel on the coach from say Portsmouth to Plymouth, what Im thinking is I would have to buy the ticket for the coach to Plymouth ---- but when I get there I will be able to use my bus pass on the local buses there just like I would in Portsmouth?
Yes your right I have someone picking me up at Gatwick, (my Daughter) she also thankfully lives in Portsmouth,
Well you take care wont you,
Rodney.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:53 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
As for myself ,45 years before Ifinally got home, hadn't even been for a visit in all those years,
Wow Peigi!! I had no idea, so from when you emigrated at the age of 14 you had not been back in all that time and then you moved back!! It just goes to show........

I am sure you have had your dark moments with jobs and missing your husband and your little dogs, so have you ever felt like throwing in the towel and going back to Canada?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Hey Rodney,

Did you buy your new laptop that you want to take home?

Cheers
No cheers I have decided to buy my lap top when I get home, so for a few days maybe a week I will have to go to the Library or internet cafe to get on line,
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:57 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=trottytrue;8973229]Beedubya...Good for you having a date to go home, now its time to get those fingers working and make all those beedy things so you can add to your bank balance[QUOTE]

How's this? Yesterday I was having not such a good day, and started telling my young 30 something work colleague who is Romanian about going back to England next year and how I was homesick and he said me too!! And he then told me he and wife were very unsettled in Australia after 8 years and they were thinking of going back home!! It felt so good to talk to somebody who is in the same boat.

And I don't know why I can't do the quote things when I take a bit out anymore!!!

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 10th 2010 at 6:11 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:58 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
If you wind up in the Lake District, keep the kettle on for me. I'll be there eventually
I'm not sure where I will end up Sally, but would love to meet up with all of you when I make it back, wouldn't that be the best reunion ever!!!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:01 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Georgew13
Try expatshield.com, it's free and allows me to watch BBC here in the USA
Wow George I never heard of this one, what is the connection like?

Oh and welcome I see this is your very first post!!! You must be in "our" category to have posted on here, so what's your story if you care to share?

Barb
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jasper123
No cheers I have decided to buy my lap top when I get home, so for a few days maybe a week I will have to go to the Library or internet cafe to get on line,
Rod,
Don't forget to apply for your library card ASAP. You will need this before you
are allowed on a computer. At least that is the rule here. Best of luck.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:07 pm
Home Sweet Home

[QUOTE=jasper123;8973637]Barb you say that you are hoping to move home from Oz to UK again in July of next year, is this your mind made up, and will this be for good this time?
or did I read that wrong?

Take care,
Rodney.
[QUOTE]

Yes Rodney that is correct. I have given myself this date, I will have been in my job one whole year. Also I have promised my daughter that she can be my travelling companion for cheap air fares and we are supposed to go to my nephews wedding in March, if so that will be on a STRICT budget as I have my savings plan started.

HOWEVER she and her fiancee are in the process of house hunting and I am sure if they do find somewhere they can afford, then her trip to the UK will not happen.........so if it doesn't I will re-think my plans......but for the moment it is July 2011.

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 10th 2010 at 6:13 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Forgot to put this one as well lots of history and facts

http://www.chesterwalls.info/
trotty thanks for those two links to Chester, I have always loved that city,
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Peigi!! I had no idea, so from when you emigrated at the age of 14 you had not been back in all that time and then you moved back!! It just goes to show........

I am sure you have had your dark moments with jobs and missing your husband and your little dogs, so have you ever felt like throwing in the towel and going back to Canada?
Yes was actually 13 when I moved and except for a four hour lay over at Heathrow on our way to Saudi, I had never been back home, not even for a holiday. It is not that I never wanted to and I actually almost did when I was 15, but I then needed my on passport, Canada Post went on strike and we thought I would not be allowed on the aircraft so I did not come back.
So that first few months here was certainly a culture shock for me, even though I thought I had done everything to get myself mentally prepared.

Have I ever felt like throwing in the towel, the answer is most definately!! Especially when I could not find work, but there was no option for me to go back as we just did not have the money to get me back home. I came with almost all our savings and since then I have sold almost all my jewellery except for a few pieces that mean to much to ever sell. It still is pay check to paycheck at this point but hopefully that will get better. I chose this path and so I must follow it through, good, bad or otherwise.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
ED....Are you in for some sleepless nights........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDGFrp3lp7Ew

Charleygirl...Hope you manage to catch that plane. I never got your email. Very cold and windy at the moment and raining.

I shall have to do and update on the length of time you folks have been in your adopted countries.

Rodney... when will be the last time you will be on here before you leave

Beedubya...Good for you having a date to go home, now its time to get those fingers working and make all those beedy things so you can add to your bank balance
trotty,
As you know I will be moving in to my friend Arthur's house on the 22nd for my last week in the country, and he has a spare computer he said I can use so I will probably be able to get on here and say goodbye to everyone on the day before I leave, which will be the 29th, ---- but I promise I will post often when I get back home, Phew!!! my time is getting really close, and I am getting very excited/nervous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.