Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Wow....thanks for posting that Trotty, it was great.

I have been away for 3 days and came back to loads of new postings. Have just been trying to catch up. Nice to have a few new people on here too. Welcome to you all...it is a great group.

We have been visiting friends in the Gulf Islands which are between Vancouver and Vancouver Island . It was nice to get away but now ready to get back to the packing. Will be moving out this Saturday in readiness for going to England around Nov. 25th. Spent 2 of the 3 days with terrible back and leg pain on the right side. I think it was a trapped nerve...much improved today thanks I believe to the homoeopathic treatment my friends doctored me up with.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Impey
Rodney hi,
Yes, after you have settled back in the UK, perhaps we could meet for lunch and plenty of chatting one day (preferably when it is not pouring down with all the rain we have been getting recently). At least we won't have a drought.

I have a London Freedom Pass which not only gives me free travel all over London but all over England. In fact when I was down in Southsea, I used it on your buses down there, just popped it on the pad on the bus, then the driver gives you a concessionary ticket, all free. When you return you must get one right away, the local council must know where you can get a form. You can get one even if you buy yourself a car and irrespective of your income. Also you can get a Senior Railcard which gets you one third off most rail fares (although not all of them). Mind you, your Mum probably has these passes.

Lots of leaves on the ground here and very soggy with all the rain, so am taking great care not to fall over.

When is your flight over? Can't remember the exact date.

Think I need a cup of tea so bye for now.

Impey
Yes your right Impey, we shouldn't be getting a drought anytime soon in the UK I do like Southsea, and I like to walk along the promenade, not too nice when the wind is driving the rain into your face on a cold winters day though, but in the summer months its so nice just to be there by the sea, I love the sea, dont know why I have stuck myself in the desert all these years, oh well Im coming home now and Im not one to be looking in the rear mirror of life, that parts over, time for a fresh beginning,
The senior rail card I know about, third off a lot of travel, and the local free senior bus card for the city where you live I know about, and the London freedom pass has been mentioned,
But what you say is really interesting, I didn't know that it was for free travel all over England too, does that cover the entire UK?
Now as its called the London freedom pass does that mean that it can only be bought if you are a resident of London itself? Im really interested in this and Im sure that there will be many on this side of the pond on here that will be wanting to know about that too, --- and I presume it would be for 60 plus people or would that be 55 plus? the reason I mention that is quite a few on here are youngsters like mid 50's
My flight leaves Vegas 4.30pm November 30th, Arrives Gatwick 10.30am next day December 1st, Virgin Atlantic non stop flight,
Take care and goodnight,
Rodney.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh trotty thanks for that, it was wonderful, It made me feel that I wanted to be there to experience that,
Rodney.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning everyone, it has been so very wet and cold here, well after saying that cold for here, not as cold as I am used to . The past few days I have been on the down side, thinking of spending another Christmas alone is not an inviting thing. Oh, I have had a couple of invites to come to friends family Christmas celebrations but that is just it they are family celebrations and you sort of feel like an extra spoke when you go to those things. I vowed to myself that last Christmas would be the last one that I would have to do that and yet here I am again. I do know that I have come a long way in the past year, I have a wonderful flat in the area I wanted and a great job but...... guess I am just feeling sorry for myself. As my dad would say "suck it up buttercup"

Still haven't decided about the puppy it would be lovely to have the company but Trottytrue you are correct about it being by itself all day. My little Shitszu back in Canada is pad trained as well as outside trained and this is what I would do with a new one also, the funny thing is that my very large Siberian Husky has trained herself to use the pads also, which in itself is quite remarkable as she is a very large dog and the pad is not very big but she hits it bullseye every time

That is one of my favourite pieces of music, how wonderful to be shopping that morning, thank you Trottytrue.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Nov 9th 2010 at 6:26 am.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Oh Avril, you really got me there.

Truth is Im not doing great, Work is Very slow, my earnings are down 60%, the money I saved for 20 years has been falling through my fingers for the last two years, thats the money I had saved by not having, No new car in 20 years, cut costs whereever I can, just save the money for England, Im so used to living this way now, and I still have two homes to sell, Mine and my parents, both have dropped in value and so have my dreams, like you I dont see the light at the end of the tunnel, and still I have hope.

The Party really does sound like FUN, I just hope we can attend...

Have a wonderful week...
Oh Fish, that was so sad about your circumstances, and still you have hope,
keep that hope Fish, one day your dreams will come true like mine are now,
Sometimes I feel so terribly guilty when I post of my absolute Joy and happiness that Im finally going home, cause I think of all the other fantastic people that have become my friends on here who are forced by one reason or another to stay where they dont want to be anymore,
I feel for you Fish, and you too Trotty, and you too Barb over there in Oz,
and all the others on here, so many of you that all you want is to go home,
Its harder for you all when it comes to the time when you have to watch yet another one of us leave the nest to fly home, you wish it were you, so Sorry,
Take care all of you and please never loose your dream,
Rodney.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighTide
Wow....thanks for posting that Trotty, it was great.

I have been away for 3 days and came back to loads of new postings. Have just been trying to catch up. Nice to have a few new people on here too. Welcome to you all...it is a great group.

We have been visiting friends in the Gulf Islands which are between Vancouver and Vancouver Island . It was nice to get away but now ready to get back to the packing. Will be moving out this Saturday in readiness for going to England around Nov. 25th. Spent 2 of the 3 days with terrible back and leg pain on the right side. I think it was a trapped nerve...much improved today thanks I believe to the homoeopathic treatment my friends doctored me up with.
Hi David,
I think you needed that little break, kind of helps after all the stress of packing & chucking & sorting lately, sorry to hear about the back & leg probs though, well you will both soon be off, hope those commercial people are there to greet you at the airport, especially those delightful girl singers coming up to you and singing ''the boys are back in town'' wouldn't that be something
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good Morning everyone, it has been so very wet and cold here, well after saying that cold for here, not as cold as I am used to . The past few days I have been on the down side, thinking of spending another Christmas alone is not an inviting thing. Oh, I have had a couple of invites to come to friends family Christmas celebrations but that is just it they are family celebrations and you sort of feel like an extra spoke when you go to those things. I vowed to myself that last Christmas would be the last one that I would have to do that and yet here I am again. I do know that I have come a long way in the past year, I have a wonderful flat in the area I wanted and a great job but...... guess I am just feeling sorry for myself. As my dad would say "suck it up buttercup"

Still haven't decided about the puppy it would be lovely to have the company but Trottytrue you are correct about it being by itself all day. My little Shitszu back in Canada is pad trained as well as outside trained and this is what I would do with a new one also, the funny thing is that my very large Siberian Husky has trained herself to use the pads also, which in itself is quite remarkable as she is a very large dog and the pad is not very big but she hits it bullseye every time

That is one of my favourite pieces of music, how wonderful to be shopping that morning, thank you Trottytrue.
Ed/Pegie you are allowed you know to feel sorry for yourself now and again,
but I really feel strongly that your Hubby and babies will be over by next Christmas dont you? anyway you have set a nice realistic time limit for that to happen so thats it right, what a great Christmas thats going to be for you all when you are all together as a family again, as far as the being invited to your friends family party I certainly know what you mean, Im the same way, but I really do think you should go and try and have some fun cause it would be a lot better then sitting in your flat all on your own at Christmas, I wouldn't like to see that happening,
Take care Ed, and you still remain as our true inspiration, your a very tough lady, and my respect and admiration goes out to you,
Rodney.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Fish n Chips.... Its not the religion thats at fault its the people who are in charge and those who use religion as a weapon. We were all given freedom to do whatever we wanted. Thats our choice. Those who think guns are part of religion a wrong. I know many good people who are what I call quiet Christians they dont run around saying look at me I'm big on God. They quietly do whats right they work on Thanksgiving feeding the poor they work long hours making baby clothes and have Thrift Shops were the money is used to fund various charities they are good people. Don't lose you faith because of the loud mouths although I must admit sometimes I ask myself why am I in this position but I decide there must be a reason. I wish someone would tell me what it is....
We have over the years had some really awful Vicars at the Church we used to attend. But the first one we had who thankfully lasted many years was the kindest sweetest most understanding person I know. When my Mother would come for a visit he would invite me into his office and ask me how things were going. He would get me a cup of tea and just sit and listen. He was wonderful with the children and I think thats what gave them a good foundation.
Trotty.
I understand what you are saying about the quiet ones, I know there are many religious people who do great work for the poor and less fortunate.
On the other hand I cant overlook the bad things that have come to light over the years, the hypocrits, the child molesters and the connection of politics and religion in this country, that connection bothers me a lot and has cost many lives in my opinion, so I'm staying put, I have no intentions of changing.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Many years ago when we first moved to California a neighbour ask me to go to Church with her. I thought that would be nice. It was the Crystal Cathedral I could not believe what they were like. It was like some big happy club not at all like the little Church in Sandbach that I use to attend. They clapped and cheered when someone sang and I thought were very disrespectful. It was more like a Sunday at a Variety Club. Needless to say I did not go back.
I think the Crystal Catherral just went bankrupt, alot of people left when things got bad, I think thats what I saw on TV, it seems hard to believe as that place had to be raking in a large collection.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Wow I saw that on TV the other week, Nothing beats the sound of a good church organ, Id love to shop at that Macy's, Good music always makes me feel so good and that organ is a Beauty, Thanks Trotty.

There are some other good organs on You Tube if you care to search.
Does anyone remember the days when Organs were played at Cinema's or before a live show at the seaside?

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Nov 9th 2010 at 9:13 am.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

I think the Crystal Catherral just went bankrupt, alot of people left when things got bad, I think thats what I saw on TV, it seems hard to believe as that place had to be raking in a large collection.
Yes Fish I just googled the Crystal Cathedral and it filed for bankrupsy last week, they are $43 million dollars in debt, mostly because of other huge building projects that they took on, and the economy over the last few years has really hurt there empire,
But I very much doubt if anyone of the family of the founders/owners will ever go hungry, probably a fortune stashed away nice & safe,
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn

Hello Ed.
Im sure people wouldnt invite you unless they really wanted you there, sometimes we vision these things and its a bit scarey being an outdsider looking in, Id take someone up on their offer, Dont be lonely, go and enjoy yourself, its Christmas.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Nov 9th 2010 at 8:54 am.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Oh Fish, that was so sad about your circumstances, and still you have hope,
keep that hope Fish, one day your dreams will come true like mine are now,
Sometimes I feel so terribly guilty when I post of my absolute Joy and happiness that Im finally going home, cause I think of all the other fantastic people that have become my friends on here who are forced by one reason or another to stay where they dont want to be anymore,
I feel for you Fish, and you too Trotty, and you too Barb over there in Oz,
and all the others on here, so many of you that all you want is to go home,
Its harder for you all when it comes to the time when you have to watch yet another one of us leave the nest to fly home, you wish it were you, so Sorry,
Take care all of you and please never loose your dream,
Rodney.
Hello Rod.
Don't feel guilty for me, I will deal with it somehow, A year ago I thought Id be back in England by now, I'm not even close, in fact I feel further away financially, I was planning on leaving in 2000 then my Mum got sick so I stuck around, its already been ten years, what's another one...
Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Forget unsubscribing Valarie, start posting more...

Raspberry Nipple sounds interesting and bit like like Raspberry Ripple which I like, Now youve got me started!, which reminds me I Love Raspberry Ruffles, Ummmmmm Coconut and Raspberry covered in Chocolate.
Hi Fish

I don't post so often because I have nothing much to contribute. I won't be unsubscribing though as I want to see you all, eventually, return. Not forgetting ED, I'd really love to see her happy ending.

The reason I answered Barb's post was because there are so many nice places surrounding the North's industrialised towns, although I accept they are usually a bit pricey.

This is a few miles away from Middlesbrough (& I know what you mean about raspberry ripple).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseberry_Topping

Valerie
Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Beedubya
My sister is looking to move to Frodsham or Helsby very soon!! Not Durham though
Durham's absolutely wonderful. I like both Frodsham & Helsby & know I'm nearly at my Mums when I see that hill at Frodsham.

Cheers Valerie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.