Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 7th 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Plus if you think about it, it's only people of a certain age who would even know who Liberace was. I don't think anybody under say 45 would have even heard of him, it's not like he is an icon like Elvis or Marilyn Monroe.

The museum probably just fizzled out........
Yes your right, and have you ever asked a 20 year old lately who Marilyn Monroe is or maybe even Elvis ----- they say who? I asked a 21 year old girl at work a few weeks ago before I retired, I said do you know who Kirk Douglas
is and she said of course, no, when she said whos that --- I said that he is the father of Michael Douglas and she said whos he? OMG did I feel really old at that time couldn't think of any of Michales kids who were actors she may have known them,
Old Nov 7th 2010, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Celticspirit,

In your travels to the dog related shows have you ever met or seen Gloria Stillwell? I loved to watch her dog training episodes when she was in England and I liked her personality. She was dealt a blow when she lost her cool when she was challenged by someone who she disagreed with and it was recorded on video. It showed a different side of her. Anyhow she moved over the pond and now lives with her husband and daughter in Atlanta. Sorry to hear that. For some reason I don't get to watch her anymore and I regret she moved over to America because I liked to see the British dog owners she worked with. She had a trade mark of going to meet the dog owners in a nice red Jaguar XKE which I found out she was loaned for the TV production. It was a nice touch though.

Hey, thanks for the showing your website with your dogs.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Wawa, yes I am hoping to move back to Devon to live, and although I had hoped to be there by now, various problems including health, plus the English winter, now see me thinking about the European spring.

I would prefer to be living near to London so that I can visit a friend in Germany, but the nearer to the "big smoke" you live, the more costly it becomes. Trains between Torquay and London now take only 3 hours, so compared with Australian travelling times, it's a walk in the park.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=cheers;8967294]
Originally Posted by jasper123
[I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Red"]Most people on this wonderful thread left the UK to seek another life in another country, its a matter of choices, and we chose to leave our country and our family, we were young and for each of us we had our very own special reasons to want to leave all that we have known to try a new life,
I like Americans because I am one. They are very friendly and helpful and the one attribute I like most is they are easy going.
I am making this statement because I think I'm getting a little paranoid because I'm getting all these people knocking on my door lately that are supposed to be salesman. They are about the same age so I'm thinking what have I said on the computer that the FBI is showing up to see what I look like. I waived one off last night when it was dark. He had the typical order book in his hand and an identification card on a lead around his neck. I saw him through the window and he saw me so I waived him off. A few days ago another called and said he was a financial and insurance person so I talked to him since my insurance is up for renewal. I asked for his business card and he apologized said he was new and didn't have one?? He was well presented and intelligent. There are many others that have called but I don't answer the door as a general rule. So now I'm suspicious??
and say on the computer.
That in UK, is called ''Cold Calling'' and I may be corrected, but I think that is now illegal, in the UK don
Old Nov 7th 2010, 11:27 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

UPDATE:

I've not posted for a few weeks now and have just spent the better part of [at least] an hour reading everyone's posts and trying to catch up.

Now that I have your attention .... there's really nothing earth-shattering to report.

On the health front, my recent mammogram came back clear (as a former breast cancer patient, that's always a good feeling). Tony's angiogram still has not been scheduled but we're hoping to get a date before the end of the month.

No news on the job fronts, although he does have an interview on Thursday in a town near Ascot. We've been back almost 3 months now and he's had 3 interviews so far, but was not hired for any of those jobs. I continue to look and apply, but have not received any interview invitations.

We continue to enjoy as much of England as possible - when we can and when finances allow. Still so many wonderful experiences to be had that don't cost a thing.

Most recently, we've been to Hampton Court Palace; Tower of London; Kew Gardens; Kensington Palace/Kensington Gardens; and perused some car boot sales and antiques markets.

There's still so much about this area that we love; and still a lot about this area that we don't! But for us, the positives outweigh the negatives.

One thing I wanted to mention .... when we moved over, we brought our SatNav with us and it has been a GODSEND and I do mean GODSEND. It only takes about 30 min. to reorient a US system to the UK satellites and once that's done, it will work like a charm.

Whenever we want to go somewhere we haven't been ... whether it's the other side of London or a job interview or to another county, we just enter the postcode and away we go. With all the roundabouts and one-way streets and twisty-turns, your journey is made so much less stressful using a SatNav.

Highly recommend either bringing your US SatNav or purchasing one when you get here. PRIORITY!!!!!!!!!!

Now, off to bed (it's 12:27am) and will try to post more tomorrow.

Cheers!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Impey;8967748]
Everyone is different if I were a more outgoing person, like not such a loner and shy like I have always been all my life then I would have probably met some British people and became friends, and maybe I would have had a few more American friends too, I dont get out much, and I hate going anywhere like social places on my own, if I am with someone who I know then I feel comfortable, but on my own amongst people in a social gathering where there is nobody that I know I feel very embarrassed and awkward, how are you going to make friends when you are that way,
I dont like being a loner its not by choice believe me, loneliness has got to be one of the toughest things to live with, that and depression"] End of Rodney's quote.

Rodney hi, hope you (and all the other wonderful people who post on this forum thread) don't mind me joining in (I am not moving back to the UK but still in the UK) and saying thank you so very much for being so honest about how you feel on the subject of finding friends. I have felt like this all my life and felt it was just me being different. It is such a relief to find that I am not the only one to feel this way. I am now in my 60s and find the older one gets the more difficult it is finding true friends.

I originally joined British Expats as my boyfriend moved abroad permanently, he sold his house in the UK. He is a smashing guy but is such a sociable and outgoing person (completely different to me) but doesn't understand how I feel however much I try to explain. Anyway enough of me.

Although I am not moving back to the UK (still here) I love this thread, it is the highlight of my day reading all your posts. You are such lovely people and if I have a "down" day well I soon feel so much better.

Once again, my apologies for intruding but felt I had to say many thanks to you Rodney and really look forward to hearing more when you go back to the UK soon to your lovely Mum.

Impey
Hello Impey,
Wow thanks so much for that, I needed that, so it looks like you have been reading peoples posts on here for a while --- am I right?
Oh Yes please come on in, I am sure everyone on this site will welcome you with open arms just like I am doing now,
There are already quite a few people on this thread who are NOW and have always lived in UK, we value there input so much cause who better for us to learn from then the very people who live the life back there now, the life that many on here are dreaming and hoping one day will be theres again too,
My reality is just around the corner really, just 3 weeks till blast off and I can hardly wait,
Yes please come in take your shoes off, put the kettle on, sit down and talk to us,
Yes Im like you, very shy in public, I just feel awkward, and uncomfortable especially around a lot of people at once all in one place, Ive never had many friends of any kind, always hard for me to strike up conversations,
I think thats why I Love this thread because I can talk to so sooo many people who are all so wonderful, and they talk to me back too, and I love it, I love it so much, Im never alone when Im talking on here, and I hear everybodys stories from all over the globe, its wonderful,
Im good at typing my thoughts and the emotions do come out across the screen, but I cant speak all these words that I type when I am talking to someone across the room in person, does that make any sense to you?
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 11:33 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote=dontheturner;8967794]
Originally Posted by cheers
That in UK, is called ''Cold Calling'' and I may be corrected, but I think that is now illegal, in the UK don

I don't know about that Don. It may be illegal, but it's still happening.

We live in a gated community at the end of a street in a somewhat out-of-the-way area. A couple of weeks ago, the front gate was broken and it took a couple of days to get it fixed. During those two days alone, we must have had about 4 or 5 knocks on our door by salesmen.

I was really surprised! I felt like that showed just how common door-to-door salesmen must be. I also felt thankful once the gate was fixed!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Denise,

I have a TomTom GPS, do you think it will work in the UK?
Old Nov 7th 2010, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Thanks Don,
I will ask Mum if she gets that when I talk to her on Tuesday, our usual weekly chat,
Hope everything is going good for you and that you and your wife are able to leave Thailand on your predicted date, how is that coming along by the way, take care, Rodney.
Aw, Jeezus, Rod,
We are still waiting for a call to say the Visa for Tim, is ready to be collected, then she has to go to Bangkok, ( 7 hours by coach) to collect it, Then we can book the flights, Found another obstacle to deal with though-The Flight ( Direct) to UK from Bangkok, is British Airways ( obviously)
and allows 23 Kg suitcase, and extra case of 30 KG, (excess) for £30. Fine, BUT the Ubon to Bangkok part, (from here). lists, the free case, as 20Kgs, and the excess WOWEE, £25 a kilo! - so having to re-think it out. But hopefully, still on track - Daughter says everything will be ready - so that sounds good. but worrying for this Visa, thingy! - PS the Pub thing - when I tell jokes in a pub, everyone will be talking, or maybe the management showing us the Door!!! Don
Old Nov 8th 2010, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Celticspirit,

In your travels to the dog related shows have you ever met or seen Gloria Stillwell? I loved to watch her dog training episodes when she was in England and I liked her personality. She was dealt a blow when she lost her cool when she was challenged by someone who she disagreed with and it was recorded on video. It showed a different side of her. Anyhow she moved over the pond and now lives with her husband and daughter in Atlanta. Sorry to hear that. For some reason I don't get to watch her anymore and I regret she moved over to America because I liked to see the British dog owners she worked with. She had a trade mark of going to meet the dog owners in a nice red Jaguar XKE which I found out she was loaned for the TV production. It was a nice touch though.

Hey, thanks for the showing your website with your dogs.
I have watched a Victoria Stillwell on the Animal Planet training dogs. I am sure it must be the same person.......in fact I watched her this morning before taking my doggies for a 45 minute walk(had to carry Starla part of the way......her little legs at three and a half pounds get really tired). If this the same person, I do not think she gets inside dogs heads nearly so well as the Dog Whisperer.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry her name was Victoria Stillwell.
I think I can see her on youtube.
I wonder if she will go back to the UK someday? I think she may have some obligations over there so she maybe commuting???

Nothing good on 60 minutes tonight so while waiting for the Race I will go to youtube to watch Doc Martin.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Denise,

Yes, It will, as I had one in the UK, Go to Halfords, - every town has one, and they will re-program if needs be. don
Old Nov 8th 2010, 1:04 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Denise,

Yes Ds hasa tomtom, we bought it for him for Christmas a couple of years back, then before he left for UK we had the UK and Europe maps added to it online. It was cheaper to do it here than waiting till he got to UK.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Impey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Impey,
Wow thanks so much for that, I needed that, so it looks like you have been reading peoples posts on here for a while --- am I right?
Oh Yes please come on in, I am sure everyone on this site will welcome you with open arms just like I am doing now,
There are already quite a few people on this thread who are NOW and have always lived in UK, we value there input so much cause who better for us to learn from then the very people who live the life back there now, the life that many on here are dreaming and hoping one day will be theres again too,
My reality is just around the corner really, just 3 weeks till blast off and I can hardly wait,
Yes please come in take your shoes off, put the kettle on, sit down and talk to us,
Yes Im like you, very shy in public, I just feel awkward, and uncomfortable especially around a lot of people at once all in one place, Ive never had many friends of any kind, always hard for me to strike up conversations,
I think thats why I Love this thread because I can talk to so sooo many people who are all so wonderful, and they talk to me back too, and I love it, I love it so much, Im never alone when Im talking on here, and I hear everybodys stories from all over the globe, its wonderful,
Im good at typing my thoughts and the emotions do come out across the screen, but I cant speak all these words that I type when I am talking to someone across the room in person, does that make any sense to you?
Take care,
Rodney.
Rodney hi,
Thanks so much for your reply and welcoming me to your lovely thread. Yes you are right, I have been reading peoples' posts for a while now and once started, couldn't stop. If I miss even one day I have so much to catch up on, and if I go away I have to ask the person I am stopping with if I can use their computer to get my daily "fix".

Everything you say makes absolute sense to me. It is so lovely to find someone who is on the same wavelength as myself (so to speak).

I love the UK and especially "The Big Smoke" (London) where I live. It is my past, present and future (all rolled into one) and I am so really happy here (although some people think I am bonkers but do I take any notice, no).

I see your lovely Mum lives at Portsmouth. I was stopping at Southsea a few weeks ago, isn't it beautiful there? A friend took me for a walk along the promenade and we sat in one of the shelters along the front in the sun and the sea looked absolutely beautiful and of course you can see over to the Isle of Wight, although I haven't been there for several years (have to rectify that soon I think).

You have 3 weeks to go, you must be so excited. It is a big step for you but I feel that everything will go well for you, your Mum and your grown up children. Also don't forget Xmas and New Year quite soon, so you and your Mum may even hear the bongs of Big Ben on the TV to see in the New Year.

My goodness just seen the time 2.48am in London, about time I went to bed. More tomorrow. Lovely to have met you online.

Impey
Old Nov 8th 2010, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Aw, Jeezus, Rod,
We are still waiting for a call to say the Visa for Tim, is ready to be collected, then she has to go to Bangkok, ( 7 hours by coach) to collect it, Then we can book the flights, Found another obstacle to deal with though-The Flight ( Direct) to UK from Bangkok, is British Airways ( obviously)
and allows 23 Kg suitcase, and extra case of 30 KG, (excess) for £30. Fine, BUT the Ubon to Bangkok part, (from here). lists, the free case, as 20Kgs, and the excess WOWEE, £25 a kilo! - so having to re-think it out. But hopefully, still on track - Daughter says everything will be ready - so that sounds good. but worrying for this Visa, thingy! - PS the Pub thing - when I tell jokes in a pub, everyone will be talking, or maybe the management showing us the Door!!! Don
Hi Don,
I dont understand the excess baggage of 25 pound a kilo, I just dont understand KG'S & kILOS,
All I can tell you is Virgin Atlantic gives me one case free up to 50 pounds, plus a carry on of max 13 lbs, and each extra case costs me $48 for up to 50lbs each, I am taking 4 large 29inch cases 50lbs each in weight plus a carry on 13lb so I will be charged for 3 extra bags at $48 each, = $144 total, but thats if I check the baggage in on line with Virgin within 24 hours of departure, at the gate they would charge me $72 per case,
So Don it looks like what your telling me here is that British Airways charge less for excess baggage, so why dont you go fly with them?
I so hope you get that Visa call for Tim real soon,
Take care,
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.