Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:30 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
I just clicked on your link and clicked live broadcast and the DJ played Crazy by Patsy Cline, oh I love that song, he said he's on till midnight, so its 9.20 pm over in UK now so thats great its all live and I can listen to it on my computer anytime I want, I love this modern technology, I should be able to get that station on the radio in Portsmouth I think even though its from the north west,
Thanks Barb,
Rodney.
Yes you will Rodney because recently they went country wide.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Rodney, have you been to the Liberace museum in LV? It is quite something to see....all those furs, outfits, jewelry and ornate pianos.
Yes many times I have been there, but sadly it just last week closed its doors,
another victim to the lack of business in Vegas, lots of small businesses are really suffering here just like everywhere else,
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney... Who was your first love....I took my friend from the UK to Las Vegas in 1979 she wanted to go on one of those flights over the Grand Canyon I told her I didnt want to go but if she wanted to go that would be fine. She came back looking green. The plane landed inside the Grand Canyon and she said what made her sick was when the plane went on its side to give them a better view. I sent her a news cutting the week after she left of a plane that crashed killing all on board the same type of flight she had taken. We stayed at the Flamigo. Had alot of fun.

Islandwoman 123..From your postings I take it you are thinking of staying in the UK. Glad you gave it some more time. Have you heard from your son. Keep trying. They can be stubborn.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:41 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Barb you are so lucky to have met John Travolta, he does look very well, Im glad you could post those pics for us to see, what a nice private jet, I was surprised that he piloted it himself, I didn't know he was an acomplished pilot too, Ive always liked him, one of my favorite movie stars,
Yes that was so sad when he lost his Son, but nice to hear that his wife is expecting a baby boy soon,
You know even though he was flying back to America I bet if you asked him nicely that he would have made a nice detour and droped you off in England,
ha ha ha ha

Rodney we didn't get to meet him, we were just part of a 15,000 strong crowd LOL!! It's just the good camera my grand-daughter has, my pics are all far away blurry

Ha ha should have asked him to drop me off in England if only.......oh to have the money for a personal jet, what fun you could have.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé
just want to say...back home five years today. It was all worth it. And I am truly at home in my heart.
OH calle that is music to my ears, Im off back home in just three short weeks and I so hope and pray that I will be saying those same words 5 years from now, I think I will, I hope I will, darn it if Im still alive by then I know I will
Take good care,
Rodney.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:45 pm
Home Sweet Home

another victim to the lack of business in Vegas, lots of small businesses are really suffering here just like everywhere else,
Plus if you think about it, it's only people of a certain age who would even know who Liberace was. I don't think anybody under say 45 would have even heard of him, it's not like he is an icon like Elvis or Marilyn Monroe.

The museum probably just fizzled out........
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for the update Calle we love to hear from you and how you are doing and that you really are happy.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=cheers;8967294]
[F][COLOR="Red"]Most people on this wonderful thread left the UK to seek another life in another country, its a matter of choices, and we chose to leave our country and our family, we were young and for each of us we had our very own special reasons to want to leave all that we have known to try a new life,

Some of us left when we were young and single and made it alone all the way,
/COLOR][/FONT]

I left the UK because I thought I would be better off and I am but not without a lot of struggles and stress. My cousins in the UK have also done well so I don't know?

I like Americans because I am one. They are very friendly and helpful and the one attribute I like most is they are easy going.

I am making this statement because I think I'm getting a little paranoid because I'm getting all these people knocking on my door lately that are supposed to be salesman. They are about the same age so I'm thinking what have I said on the computer that the FBI is showing up to see what I look like. I waived one off last night when it was dark. He had the typical order book in his hand and an identification card on a lead around his neck. I saw him through the window and he saw me so I waived him off. A few days ago another called and said he was a financial and insurance person so I talked to him since my insurance is up for renewal. I asked for his business card and he apologized said he was new and didn't have one?? He was well presented and intelligent. There are many others that have called but I don't answer the door as a general rule. So now I'm suspicious??

As many of us know there are people or programs that track what we we do and say on the computer.
cheers on the TV news here a couple of days ago they were warning everyone in Vegas of a couple of guys posing as south west Gas employees, they were just trying to get into peoples homes to steal from them, they were just a couple of scam artists, theres lots about these days cause times are tough and millions are unemployed and a lot without any benefits and have kids to feed etc etc, so just do what you do, do not open the door to anyone you dont know,
Old Nov 7th 2010, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Rodney... Don't you think that some of the problems for us, is going to be being overwhelmed by friends and family and just people on a daily basis. I have lived in NH for 10 years and I think I have become somewhat of an intravert I dont see anyone or speak to anyone unless my daughter or sons call. Neighbours are not existant and even when I do see them on the road they dont talk. when I do have contact with people I find myself wanting to I think that will be my difficult transition. Just learning to be with people again although I found myself very happy when I was home with relatives last time but I think it will take time to change.

I just talked to my friend on Skype and it really is good especially as you dont have to pay anything. She had been living in the US for over 10 years and moved back to Dorset a few months ago. She loves being back home. Everything about it.
trotty Yes, at the start it will be hard for you and for me it seems, getting used to being around people again, and being overwhelmed by family yes, but we will get used to it, we just have to take our time to make the transition to being alone to being with people, but it will be a pleasant experience you know, not a bad one, but its like a person that is half dead in the desert and hes all alone and looking for water, then someone sees him and offers him some water to save his life, well if that person drinks the water too fast then it can be very dangerous to them, so they have to drink it slow and just a little at a time, then he or she gets back to normal in time,
Thats exactly what we need to do when we get home to our family, we have to take everything slowly when it comes to learning to be with people again,
I to have a wonderful time when Im home on holidays,
You know I would love to arrive at the Airport back home and suddenly I find myself in that commercial that David/hightide sent us and all those lovely people welcoming me home and the girls singing (the boys are back in town)
But I wouldn't like that scene to happen right inside my Mums living room if you know what I mean, just too much, too fast,
Take care trotty,
Rodney.
PS my neighbors moved in next door about 8 months ago, I have said hello in passing one time, and another time they said Hi to me as I was parking my car in the garage, thats it,
Old Nov 7th 2010, 10:02 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheers
I got this personal mail from a Brit who has lived in the US and is married to USC and lives in the UK now. I don't think we'll end up living here forever, it's not as great as you probably remember. It's miserable, everyone walks around like they're chewing wasps and it never stops raining. The best that the UK has to offer is accessible through a couple of two week holidays a year. And maybe a visit when you need free medical treatment. California is a much more friendly and forgiving place to bring kids up. I work out in the community and spend quite a lot of time walking around different areas - I'm sad to say that that particular area is struggling with crime and deprivation. I pass along this because I love the UK but I have to be on the alert for what can be a bad experience if we pick the wrong location to live. I could go on forever on the wrong places to live in the US. Fortunately I live in one of the best, cleanest and safest communities in the US.

Obviously, no place is perfect but he sounds like one of those "glass half-empty" people. Tony and I try to be "glass half-full" people.

The best that the UK has to offer is accessible through a couple of two week holidays a year. <---- He must be JOKING! It would take a person a lifetime to see half of "the best that the UK has to offer"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Rodney... Who was your first love....I took my friend from the UK to Las Vegas in 1979 she wanted to go on one of those flights over the Grand Canyon I told her I didnt want to go but if she wanted to go that would be fine. She came back looking green. The plane landed inside the Grand Canyon and she said what made her sick was when the plane went on its side to give them a better view. I sent her a news cutting the week after she left of a plane that crashed killing all on board the same type of flight she had taken. We stayed at the Flamigo. Had alot of fun.

Islandwoman 123..From your postings I take it you are thinking of staying in the UK. Glad you gave it some more time. Have you heard from your son. Keep trying. They can be stubborn.
Yes trotty isn't it strange how we people always remember our first love of our lives when we are like very very young,
I was in my Junior school which was mixed, girls & boys, I was head over hills in love with this girl, we were both 11 years old, and her name was Sylvia Yates, I wonder what happened to her? well anyway we sat the eleven plus exam, I failed it and went to a very tough street wise secondary modern school for boys, she passed the exam and went to a nice grammar school, she was smarter then me
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, at last I am able to speak with you all again. I have been really busy as you know, at last we decided to live near my daughter in Cork instead of Belfast and have rented a lovely 3 bedroom semi, behind her which has been great. The house was'nt the cleanest so I have scrubbed it from top to bottom, and at last it is looking cosy, at night we light the fire and candles and it is lovely. Now the bad news the south of Ireland must be amongst the most expensive countries to live, especailly compared to the uk, so I am just going to have to see when the bills start coming how we get on. The rent is €600 pm but the gas and electricity is supposed to be really expensive, and the bills come every 2 months instead of three, so you just don't seem to get a break. Groceries are a lot more expensive, if you are working or can get benefits it is great, but getting a job is vertually impossible and we are not entitled to benefits as we have property (does'nt matter that we can't sell it), so we will have to wait and see. The other thing I am missing is the shopping, I much prefer the shops in the north, and the pound shops. we brought my little grandaughter to a spar and were going to buy her a little book, it was priced at £2.25, but when we went to pay for it it was priced at €4.25now I know there is a difference in the currencies but that was rediculous. Otherwise we are still happy to be home, and i am finding as time goes on I am realising that we have made the right decision to come back and how much I am enjoying being with my family including my sisters, we were so lonely last year, I look back on it as a nightmare, so GW witin the next year we will be settled for the future should it be north or south. I know now I won't be travelling anywhere unless it is a holiday or a european break, and I am feeling a lot more relaxed and comfortable within myself, dare I say I think I am finally finding peace mentally, I used to envy contented people now hopefully we are getting there. I havent had time to read all the posts just quickly scanned, so hi to you all, hope you are all well, I don't have internet at the moment as it is too expensive in the south, so I will try and get to the library when I can and check in with you all. Good luck Rodney on your journey, hope all goes well, and charleygirl, glad you had a great time, I k now you will have a lot of decisions to make and I don't envy you, we are here for you at all times. Will try and talk to you all again when I get more time to read and respond to you all Denise
Old Nov 7th 2010, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

We went to see Liberace here in Dallas many years ago. It was a most extravagant show!! Lots of fun.
Going to see Elton John next Saturday in Fort Worth. He one of my all time favorites.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Hi everyone, at last I am able to speak with you all again. I have been really busy as you know, at last we decided to live near my daughter in Cork instead of Belfast and have rented a lovely 3 bedroom semi, behind her which has been great. The house was'nt the cleanest so I have scrubbed it from top to bottom, and at last it is looking cosy, at night we light the fire and candles and it is lovely. Now the bad news the south of Ireland must be amongst the most expensive countries to live, especailly compared to the uk, so I am just going to have to see when the bills start coming how we get on. The rent is €600 pm but the gas and electricity is supposed to be really expensive, and the bills come every 2 months instead of three, so you just don't seem to get a break. Groceries are a lot more expensive, if you are working or can get benefits it is great, but getting a job is vertually impossible and we are not entitled to benefits as we have property (does'nt matter that we can't sell it), so we will have to wait and see. The other thing I am missing is the shopping, I much prefer the shops in the north, and the pound shops. we brought my little grandaughter to a spar and were going to buy her a little book, it was priced at £2.25, but when we went to pay for it it was priced at €4.25now I know there is a difference in the currencies but that was rediculous. Otherwise we are still happy to be home, and i am finding as time goes on I am realising that we have made the right decision to come back and how much I am enjoying being with my family including my sisters, we were so lonely last year, I look back on it as a nightmare, so GW witin the next year we will be settled for the future should it be north or south. I know now I won't be travelling anywhere unless it is a holiday or a european break, and I am feeling a lot more relaxed and comfortable within myself, dare I say I think I am finally finding peace mentally, I used to envy contented people now hopefully we are getting there. I havent had time to read all the posts just quickly scanned, so hi to you all, hope you are all well, I don't have internet at the moment as it is too expensive in the south, so I will try and get to the library when I can and check in with you all. Good luck Rodney on your journey, hope all goes well, and charleygirl, glad you had a great time, I k now you will have a lot of decisions to make and I don't envy you, we are here for you at all times. Will try and talk to you all again when I get more time to read and respond to you all Denise
Lovely to hear you have settled in. Do think it is more expensive to live in the south than the north? I am from Belfast and hope to end up there. I read that there are heavy austerity measures upcoming for the south.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Impey is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=jasper123;8966399]Everyone is different if I were a more outgoing person, like not such a loner and shy like I have always been all my life then I would have probably met some British people and became friends, and maybe I would have had a few more American friends too, I dont get out much, and I hate going anywhere like social places on my own, if I am with someone who I know then I feel comfortable, but on my own amongst people in a social gathering where there is nobody that I know I feel very embarrassed and awkward, how are you going to make friends when you are that way,
I dont like being a loner its not by choice believe me, loneliness has got to be one of the toughest things to live with, that and depression"] End of Rodney's quote.

Rodney hi, hope you (and all the other wonderful people who post on this forum thread) don't mind me joining in (I am not moving back to the UK but still in the UK) and saying thank you so very much for being so honest about how you feel on the subject of finding friends. I have felt like this all my life and felt it was just me being different. It is such a relief to find that I am not the only one to feel this way. I am now in my 60s and find the older one gets the more difficult it is finding true friends.

I originally joined British Expats as my boyfriend moved abroad permanently, he sold his house in the UK. He is a smashing guy but is such a sociable and outgoing person (completely different to me) but doesn't understand how I feel however much I try to explain. Anyway enough of me.

Although I am not moving back to the UK (still here) I love this thread, it is the highlight of my day reading all your posts. You are such lovely people and if I have a "down" day well I soon feel so much better.

Once again, my apologies for intruding but felt I had to say many thanks to you Rodney and really look forward to hearing more when you go back to the UK soon to your lovely Mum.

Impey

Last edited by Impey; Nov 7th 2010 at 10:50 pm. Reason: Not quite got the hang of quoting Rodney's previous post, hope this makes sense

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.