Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

For those thinking of getting US citizenship before moving back. I had my interview/civics test this morning, and the oath ceremony this afternoon, I am now an 'American'!! From sending my application to completion took only 3 months and one week. Much shorter than I had thought. I can apply for my US passport next, so the only other obstacle is the house sale! Hopefully that will happen before my UK passport expires mid February, but that would mean a buyer showing up very soon!! Like Trottytrue, I have drastically reduced the price. There are lots of us in this situation, unfortunately. Seems somehow wrong that we have to pay to leave the country, almost give up our worldy possessions.....did we commit some crime by moving away from the UK and now wishing to return????
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure that you renew your UK passport anyways- because if you don't you will be locked in to staying if you don't sell until afterwards.

Originally Posted by aes1
For those thinking of getting US citizenship before moving back. I had my interview/civics test this morning, and the oath ceremony this afternoon, I am now an 'American'!! From sending my application to completion took only 3 months and one week. Much shorter than I had thought. I can apply for my US passport next, so the only other obstacle is the house sale! Hopefully that will happen before my UK passport expires mid February, but that would mean a buyer showing up very soon!! Like Trottytrue, I have drastically reduced the price. There are lots of us in this situation, unfortunately. Seems somehow wrong that we have to pay to leave the country, almost give up our worldy possessions.....did we commit some crime by moving away from the UK and now wishing to return????
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shelley748
Make sure that you renew your UK passport anyways- because if you don't you will be locked in to staying if you don't sell until afterwards.

That's why I am keeping everything crossed, sending out vibes every minute, to make this move before then........hate to spend all that money to renew when I could do it in England for less.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Aces 1 when you did the interview did they ask you if you had a British Passport.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

alba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

:
Congratulations! that's great that evrything was done at once. I'd better renew my passport now before I do anything about citizenship.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:54 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Aces 1 when you did the interview did they ask you if you had a British Passport.
When I did mine they only asked what nationality I was, never asked about my passport or to see it. They wanted to see my green card at the swearing in ceremony and they keep it, once we had sworn in, we were given nationalization certificates with our picture on in a green folder. You use that to get a passport, like you would a birth certificate.
Dh laughed and said we were "born again Americans"
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
When I did mine they only asked what nationality I was, never asked about my passport or to see it. They wanted to see my green card at the swearing in ceremony and they keep it, once we had sworn in, we were given nationalization certificates with our picture on in a green folder. You use that to get a passport, like you would a birth certificate.
Dh laughed and said we were "born again Americans"

I had to show my PP at the interview. I was also asked for my old PP as the one I had with me was less than 12 months old.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

I was asked for certain documents at the interview: driving license, social security card (which I didn't have with me, but she said that was OK if I knew the number), green card and passport (she never asked what nationality), and all expired passports (which again, I did not have with me and I told her I didn't believe I had kept any of them). The hardest part for me was remembering what I had put on my form! She asked for current address and the previous 3 (had a difficult time with that as I was nervous!). At first I thought she was going to be tough, but then she asked when I had moved to current address and I said 2005. She said I had written 2007 on my form. I apologized and corrected myself, saying 2005 was when I got married, 2007 was when I bought the house, my ex left me months later, divorced 2008!! After that she lightened up and joked with me! The rest of the interview was fast and easy. It was a bit daunting, however, when she looked me straight in the eye and asked if I would give up my allegiance to Great Britain! The green card was taken at oath ceremony, we got a certificate of naturalization in its place, and a little book on the Declaration of Independence and one on the Constitution. Now I have to get my US passport and change status with social security. Hmm....wonder if I will now get called up for jury duty?!!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:20 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I had to show my PP at the interview. I was also asked for my old PP as the one I had with me was less than 12 months old.
I wonder why, where they looking for your original visa stamp?
I'd been here so long mine was gone a long time ago. I did my citzenship in 2002
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:58 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!!. Now, that out of the way....hope your house sells soon.
EasternDawn, after the next seven days I will have a few days off work. We'll need to talk and put our heads together on this 'idea' we all have going.
So much to think about. Would there need to be a large storage facility for those who need to get stuff shipped over?? Should it just be a central location?? Maybe a few different locations?? I wonder if the council or government would back us in any way, or if there would be ways to raise funds?? Putting information packets together would be easy enough. I drive and when I am not working could help with some transport. hmmmm...lots to think about!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know of a good CV writing service in UK? My resume is so North Americanised now that I think it needs re doing.

Thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

ED, was it last weekend or this weekend you move into your new flat? Is it furnished or do you have to buy furniture? Are you excited?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Calle,
Yes, I am really excited about moving into my own space. Can't wait to be able to cook a proper meal and just slob around in my housecoat if I feel like it. The little flat is perfect for me, very well done up and just the right size. Was going to move on Saturday until someone today said to me, Saturday flit, short sit, so Sunday it is. Hubby was really pleased that I was finally moving into a flat and I think it gave him a feeling that we are finally moving forward to the goal that we have planned for so long. Unfortunately, we probable won't have much action till after Christmas.

Went and got the thing so that I can use internet on wireless, actually changed over the mobile phone and that to contract as it was £7.00 month cheaper than I am paying now with pay as you go. Had no trouble getting contract, I thought I might, as do not have credit rating here in UK.

Went to Asda today, had a good look around, lots of choices for food, but unfortunately none of the old Kraft Dinner, oh well, will just have to make my own with all this delicious cheese that they have here. Christmas decorations have started going up in Kilmarnock and of course they are really started the big push and count down. Not looking forward to Christmas this year, but that is all part of this journey.

Let me know when and where you want to meet, I will PM you later this evening. I have been thinking a lot about this project in the past few weeks. Got to go and heat some water for my hot water bottle as my feet are freezing, heat not on yet!!

Originally Posted by callé
Congratulations!!. Now, that out of the way....hope your house sells soon. ,
EasternDawn, after the next seven days I will have a few days off work. We'll need to talk and put our heads together on this 'idea' we all have going.
So much to think about. Would there need to be a large storage facility for those who need to get stuff shipped over?? Should it just be a central location?? Maybe a few different locations?? I wonder if the council or government would back us in any way, or if there would be ways to raise funds?? Putting information packets together would be easy enough. I drive and when I am not working could help with some transport. hmmmm...lots to think about!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

This weekend and yes I'm very excited, can't wait actually, sort of like an early Christmas present. It is completely furnished, complete with dishes, pots and pans and all the things you need to run a house, including a 24 inch flat screen TV, built in washing machine etc. I will take pictures and try to thumbnail them to site when I get in and settled.
ED, was it last weekend or this weekend you move into your new flat? Is it furnished or do you have to buy furniture? Are you excited?

Last edited by Easterndawn; Nov 3rd 2009 at 5:53 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
This weekend and yes I'm very excited, can't wait actually, sort of like an early Christmas present. It is completely furnished, complete with dishes, pots and pans and all the things you need to run a house, including a 24 inch flat screen TV, built in washing machine etc. I will take pictures and try to thumbnail them to site when I get in and settled.

Excellent news!!! Fantastic that it has the essentials - washing machine and TV, what more could you need How much did you say the rent was again? How much deposit did you have to put down? What are the extras? Electricity? Water? I am trying to get a handle on how much money I will need to live on each month, and for how many months without work. Are you still doing the dog grooming, and have you started the volunteer work yet? Any more news on jobs?? Sorry for all the questions, but you are such a good help to us all.

The idea of a villa/retreat for us expats is super. Not sure how I can help, but once I get over there, I will definitely do what I can. Perhaps you will have it up and running before I even get there, though I did bury St Joseph today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.