Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 29th 2009, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Just got of the phone from Benefits, I have passed the Habitual Residency Test and have been approved for assistance. This takes huge wait off my shoulders, now I can start making enquiries for jobs beyond the areas that I have been looking.
Well done

If you are looking further afield for jobs be aware that if you take a rental house, the contract will be for a minimum of 6 months, so you will be tied into living in that area for that time.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Actually was born in Scotland of Scottish parent lived here until I was 13 years old. So I am entitled for non-contributional job seeking benefits and housing benefits. If I was renting flat etc also I think council tax. The housing benefit is up to £375.00 for one person, but because I am renting currently a bedroom, I think it would be around £280.00, even though my rent is £320.00. I don't know for sure about the housing benefits but the job seekers has been approved which should be around £64.00 per week. Not a lot, but it will help immensely,I find out about the housing tomorrow when I go see them and let them know that I have been approved for Job seeking benefits, I belive you can't have one without the other.
Originally Posted by shelley748
Good one- if you don't mind me asking- I have been reading your post from the beginning- you have never lived in UK right? So what type of benefits are they approving you for( please I don;t want to know the amount)- is this just for Scotland...?

Last edited by Easterndawn; Oct 29th 2009 at 3:21 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Yes ,that is why I have decided to stay where I am at the moment until I find job, it is not ideal, and living with two men who are bathroom slobs is not great, but it will not be for ever. I was hoping to be in my own place by Christmas, but don't think that will happen. I think there might be a light at the end of the tunnel and that it may not be a train

The other night my big husky was skunked and ran off into the night, my husband looked for her until about 10pm that night, and of course I was very fustrated as not able to do anything except worry. Next farm over called just before hubby went to work, she was safe but very smelly. She is 10 years old and was very badly abused before got her from Nunavut. She has saved my life twice, once from a mugger and once from a robber that came into the house while we slept. So she deserves the best.
Originally Posted by formula
Well done

If you are looking further afield for jobs be aware that if you take a rental house, the contract will be for a minimum of 6 months, so you will be tied into living in that area for that time.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 7:54 pm
h20
Just Joined

h20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Boy what an interesting thread..!! Like most here, looking to return back to the UK with my wife and 14 year old son. Being 52, looking forward on the challenge of finding a job etc..!! Wife is currently searching for rental accommodation as we haven't sold our villa here. Had enough of living in Cyprus, with our friend supports here, they will look after our place till its sold, this will allow us to move back. After reading the past post, I feel that we are very lucky that we can plan to return back in Feb of next year, depending on getting a school placement for our son..

Keep the post going.. its great to read, still reading past post at the moment...
Old Oct 30th 2009, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

I find it amazing that so many of us of this age (over 50) are looking to return to the homeland....

I am so very homesick right now-yet stuck in the middle of job interviews here in Canada as hubby wants to leave it until spring next year to "review" and decide- whereas if it were up to me I would be gone tomorrow../well tonight actuallyy!! LOL

His main worry is getting a job in UK- but then he has'nt ever had one here in Canada and I have always been the one who supports us both and am tired of it frankly. To be fair he has tried to be self employed here and its not easy when you are doing home reno's /handyman work when you have a degree in Microelectronics and Computing. He does not qualify for retraining here in Canada becos you have to have paid into EI, which of course if you are self employed you cannot as of now...

I can see a situation where I go back first and live with Dad, get job, get settled and then he will follow.

Does anyone know about the Microsoft Partnership via the local job centres and them supposedly helping get "Mircosoft certified" and helping you get into a job? Is it for real?
Old Oct 30th 2009, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

I haven't heard anything about that here, but could look into it if you want, just let me know.
Originally Posted by shelley748
I find it amazing that so many of us of this age (over 50) are looking to return to the homeland....

I am so very homesick right now-yet stuck in the middle of job interviews here in Canada as hubby wants to leave it until spring next year to "review" and decide- whereas if it were up to me I would be gone tomorrow../well tonight actuallyy!! LOL

His main worry is getting a job in UK- but then he has'nt ever had one here in Canada and I have always been the one who supports us both and am tired of it frankly. To be fair he has tried to be self employed here and its not easy when you are doing home reno's /handyman work when you have a degree in Microelectronics and Computing. He does not qualify for retraining here in Canada becos you have to have paid into EI, which of course if you are self employed you cannot as of now...

I can see a situation where I go back first and live with Dad, get job, get settled and then he will follow.

Does anyone know about the Microsoft Partnership via the local job centres and them supposedly helping get "Mircosoft certified" and helping you get into a job? Is it for real?
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Rodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to all

Hi, Easterdawn

Have also been following your return with interest, you are doing so well on your own, can appreciate how hard it must be, keep going it will all fall in to place for you I am sure, all the karma you are receiving form peeps on this forum has got to help.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:34 pm
h20
Just Joined

Shelley748 - My wife is on the same mind, but she understands that we need to wait till next year. My wife would love to go back tomorrow, due to many reasons, which I am happy to support, but we will have to rent as we haven't sold our house here (Cyprus), but appreciate we are lucky that we can, as there are others who cannot, but I will have to ensure that I get employment within 6 months so prepare to take any job to support us....
Regarding employment, I don't have a degree, but 30years of IT experience (mostly mainframe), but realistically appreciate that the job market for me will be limited due to the up and coming younger generations. So, I will be looking at employment in areas of MOD, Prison services etc...
I hope that your partner will find a job that meets his needs, but I feel that due to our age group, even though it should not be an issue as we all know that there will be discrimination on age by the some employers.. He may need to consider other alternatives, which will make help in settling back in UK..
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h20
Shelley748 - My wife is on the same mind, but she understands that we need to wait till next year. My wife would love to go back tomorrow, due to many reasons, which I am happy to support, but we will have to rent as we haven't sold our house here (Cyprus), but appreciate we are lucky that we can, as there are others who cannot, but I will have to ensure that I get employment within 6 months so prepare to take any job to support us....
Regarding employment, I don't have a degree, but 30years of IT experience (mostly mainframe), but realistically appreciate that the job market for me will be limited due to the up and coming younger generations. So, I will be looking at employment in areas of MOD, Prison services etc...
I hope that your partner will find a job that meets his needs, but I feel that due to our age group, even though it should not be an issue as we all know that there will be discrimination on age by the some employers.. He may need to consider other alternatives, which will make help in settling back in UK..
Hi H20

Yes- know what you mean- he is considering a course with an IT college who will help him find work after the course- he was thinking of a position as a Snr Systems Engineer.

http://www.nationalitlearningcentre.com/Default.aspx

is the website he has been looking at. If you click on the area on the map you are looking to move to, it will tell you how many jobs posted in IT for last 3 months....

Where would he find info please about MOD careers?
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:57 pm
h20
Just Joined

Shelley748 - thanks for the link, excellent.. As for MOD waiting on a friend who is providing me with a contact for the area that we afre returning ( Essex). when I have this - bear with me - I will try searching the web as well, I will forward..

Sounds a great idea for your oartner, for me I am looking for an easrier life, however I loved the IT world due to the constant changes and diversity. My love has been shift work. which limits my scope, so happy to go down a different route..

I can appreciate your situation as I kbow what my wife is going through..

Keep us posted and we wish you well your return..
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks H20- you too!!!

Take care!

Originally Posted by h20
Shelley748 - thanks for the link, excellent.. As for MOD waiting on a friend who is providing me with a contact for the area that we afre returning ( Essex). when I have this - bear with me - I will try searching the web as well, I will forward..

Sounds a great idea for your oartner, for me I am looking for an easrier life, however I loved the IT world due to the constant changes and diversity. My love has been shift work. which limits my scope, so happy to go down a different route..

I can appreciate your situation as I kbow what my wife is going through..

Keep us posted and we wish you well your return..
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Had a good productive day and hopefully things are starting to come into place. Went to see if I was going get to help paying rent, and was told that yes, I would be and they will be processing it in the coming week, called job seeking benefits and was told would be in my account on Tuesday.

I found a job in Kilmarnock paper that I am ideally suited for and have the experience, the only problem is that they have a scheduling system that I am not familiar with, but told them I have used similar systems in Canada. They said they will send me a application. This is a fulltime position so that would be great.

Got phone call from friend telling me she has a friend who has small one bedroom flat that she is looking to rent out, for £360.00 per month, then when I got home had phone call from another friend of a friend asking if I would be interested in 2 bedroom cottage in Kilmaurs, so tomorrow I will go and look at both. So things are looking up, I hope they will work out but at least things are moving in the right direction.

Hubby was having bad day yesterday and I got very fustrated as I was not there to help him get through it, but today much better. Tomorrow working for a few hours at the grooming parlour so will get my dose of dog kisses, so life is getting better and with gods help will continue to, Of course all the good karma that I have received from this thread I am sure helped iimmensely

Halloween is upon us here in full force, which I find quite strange as it has become very Americanized (if thats a word). Carved pumkins, lots of candy, and lots of costumes. If not for the accents and of course the architecture I would of though I was in anytown North America.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:40 pm
h20
Just Joined

Easterndawn - Glad to here that things are slowly working for you.. Sorry to hear that your husband having a bad day, us men need our partners even though we like to think otherwise..

Enjoy halloween, its not the same here in Cyprus..!! shame, as my son loves the idea.!

Shwlwy748 - many thanks and take care as well..!! As they day, be patience and it will happen.. or something like that...!!!

Keep the comments coming..!!
Old Oct 31st 2009, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

alba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Had a good productive day and hopefully things are starting to come into place. Went to see if I was going get to help paying rent, and was told that yes, I would be and they will be processing it in the coming week, called job seeking benefits and was told would be in my account on Tuesday.

I found a job in Kilmarnock paper that I am ideally suited for and have the experience, the only problem is that they have a scheduling system that I am not familiar with, but told them I have used similar systems in Canada. They said they will send me a application. This is a fulltime position so that would be great.

Got phone call from friend telling me she has a friend who has small one bedroom flat that she is looking to rent out, for £360.00 per month, then when I got home had phone call from another friend of a friend asking if I would be interested in 2 bedroom cottage in Kilmaurs, so tomorrow I will go and look at both. So things are looking up, I hope they will work out but at least things are moving in the right direction.

Hubby was having bad day yesterday and I got very fustrated as I was not there to help him get through it, but today much better. Tomorrow working for a few hours at the grooming parlour so will get my dose of dog kisses, so life is getting better and with gods help will continue to, Of course all the good karma that I have received from this thread I am sure helped iimmensely

Halloween is upon us here in full force, which I find quite strange as it has become very Americanized (if thats a word). Carved pumkins, lots of candy, and lots of costumes. If not for the accents and of course the architecture I would of though I was in anytown North America.
Way to go! Things are really looking up for you. I am really pleased for you
that things are falling into place. It won't be long now 'till hubby is with you.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Easterdawn I am so happy for you things are really starting to take shape. You hung in and it has paid off you had many setbacks but you kept on going. You did not sit back and just feel sorry for yourself you kept on pushing. I think that is a lesson for all of us not to give up. I hope you can soon be reunited with your husband and the dogs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.