Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 24th 2010, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
Wow Cheers I bet you were nervous when you saw that SUV go under the big Rig,
Yes the roads in Nevada at times and places on the highway can be very lonely, sometimes you dont see another car for a hundred miles or more, but be aware of the highway patrol they lurk and hide in places you dont see them and all of a sudden when your doing 90 or 100mph there right on your ass,
you were just lucky thats all,
Yes I am going to take the bus, and probably stay for a week, my last American fling !!!
Rodney.
Don't be late for your flight!
Old Oct 24th 2010, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Don't be late for your flight!
Found this great article on AOL today, made me even more homesick...

York: capital of England's north
by Sean McLachlan (RSS feed) on Oct 19th 2010 at 3:30PM

So far my journey through Yorkshire has been one of small towns and moorlands, yet the most popular destination in Yorkshire is the city that gives the shire its name--York. No trip to the north of England would be complete without checking out this historic city.

A brief look at York's long history
Like many English cities, York's origins are lost in prehistory. It's first recorded in the late first century AD as the Roman city of Eboracum. It became an important trading center and it was here that the legions proclaimed Constantine emperor before he went on to convert the empire to Christianity. Some of the original city walls can still be seen.

After the Roman legions left around 410 AD, York remained a political and religious center under the Angles until the Vikings took it over in 866. Contrary to popular opinion, the Vikings weren't all seafaring raiders. In England they came to settle, once they got their fill of looting and burning that is. Known as Jórvik, it became one of the biggest cities in the Viking world. In the Middle Ages its economic and religious influence continued to grow and it remains one of the biggest cities in the north of England today. The Yorkshire Museum gives a good rundown of the city's history.

Five things to do in York
1. Visit the Minster. York's cathedral is a masterpiece of medieval architecture. The minster is one of the most grandiose cathedrals built in the Middle Ages. Much of it dates to the 13th century but there are some older and newer bits as well. Soaring Gothic architecture, weird gargoyles, and beautiful stained glass windows make this a place you can stare at for hours.

2. Wander the streets. York's medieval center still retains some of its historic charm. Many of the buildings are hundreds of years old, and the winding little streets give you a feel for past times, minus the Black Death and open sewers. Keep a sharp eye out for carved wooden figures that used to act as neighborhood signs in the days when most people were illiterate.

3. Vikings! The Jorvik Viking Centre is one of the most popular attractions in northern England. Set atop an archaeological excavation of the Viking city, you can see foundations of Viking buildings under a glass floor before hopping on a ride that takes you through a village of animatronic Vikings. No, I'm not kidding, and it's as silly as it sounds. Anyone over ten will probably feel a little embarrassed by the whole show and leave knowing only slightly more about the Vikings than when they arrived. Your kids will love it, though, especially when they spot the constipated Viking groaning in the outhouse.

Gallery: York
4. Walk the walls. York has one of the best preserved medieval walls in England, and you can walk on all of it. The walk goes for two miles around the historic heart of York and is only interrupted in one small section. The walk takes you past some of the city's highlights like the Minster as well as quieter residential areas.

5. Visit the Merchant Adventurers' Hall. Medieval churches and streets are a dime a dozen here in historic Europe, but how often do you get to see a medieval guildhall? As international commerce rose in the late Middle Ages, trade guilds became more important. Eventually their power displaced rivaled even the king's and led to the capitalist society we have today. Merchants have been meeting in this timber-framed mansion for 650 years to plan voyages and explore new trade routes. On display are some of the treasures they brought back, as well as a letter to Henry VIII complaining that one of their ships got attacked by pirates!

There's also a beautifully preserved Norman castle with a grim history. I'll be talking about that in my next post in the series--Castles of Yorkshire.

Shopping in York
York's labyrinthine streets are filled with shops selling everything from local produce (I highly recommend the cheese) to toys and fashion. It's hard to give a breakdown of all there is to buy, since pretty much everything is available. Visit York has a good online shopping guide where you can search by subject. One thing I noticed was that it has one of the biggest selections of used and antiquarian bookshops of any English town I've visited. There are plenty of antique shops too, but they're only for those with a healthy bank account.

Drinking and Dining in York
There's no shortage of good eats in Yorkshire. Once again Visit York has a good online guide. My favorite was Bettys Cafe Tea Rooms, which for almost a century has been serving up great tea, scones, and desserts in elegant Art Deco surroundings. It's usually packed, though, so be prepared to wait in line. They have a shop too. York has a large number of restaurants for all budgets and there's a good selection of pubs serving Yorkshire real ales. I recommend Mars Magic by Wold Top Brewery and Black Sheep Ale by Black Sheep Brewery. Both are dark, rich, full beers that make your average lager look and taste thinner than air.

Pluses and minuses
York is a great destination for shopping, dining, and sightseeing, but try to go off-season. The city center is incredibly crowded during the summer, and most weekends no matter what the time of year. This is one of the most touristy spots in England, and lacking the hugeness of London it can feel a bit cramped. It's still well worth a visit, though.

So if you're traveling through England's north, don't skip its greatest city!

Don't miss the rest of my series on Exploring Yorkshire: ghosts, castles, and literature in England's north.

Coming up next: The castles of Yorkshire!

This trip was sponsored by VisitEngland and Welcome to Yorkshire.
Filed under: Arts and Culture, History, Learning, Europe, United Kingdom

Email thisPrint thisTweet this!Share2 Comments
Sponsored LinksGay Personals
A New Service from Match.com. FindGay Singles In Your Area!
Old Oct 24th 2010, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yeah Jackie I voted for the right people --- and I would never leave you hanging,
I am so glad you got through your nerve racking operation OK, and you sound that you are feeling a lot better now,
Take care\.
Rodney,
PS when are you going to let me treat you to a nice buffet at the Suncoast?
Or even a nice hamburger at my favorite hamburger joint in henderson?
Thanks Rodney,
I am doing much better, just a little sore, and my stamina is not where it should be yet, get pooped easily, but it is only week 2, so I cant complain really. As soon as I get a little more on my feet, I would enjoy meeting you before you leave.
I spoke to my Mom and Dad yesterday, its amazing how speaking to your Mom makes everything seem so much better.. and it also made me want to leave so much sooner, but it looks like I will have to wait till the end of January ish, because I need to do a 3 month cat scan. The more I read on here, and talking to friends in UK and my parents..I dont know why it has taken so long for me to make this decission. There comes a time when there is a fine line between independance and loneliness..
Jackie..
Old Oct 24th 2010, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm glad there was a bit of a pause on the posting rate here, slim pickings as someone said, since it made less reading for me to catch upon after being away from the internet for a few days! Now am back in US.

I was still in England, but travelling; went from Gloucestershire up to Manchester area to stay with a sister... took the train, booked a few days in advance, online (in case you don't know, when travelling by train in UK there is often a huge savings, 50% or more, if you book a few days ahead rather than just going to the station on the day...and you can pick up the ticket at the station from the automatic machine. You can even state when booking online preferred type of seat--table seat or not, quiet carriage or not, etc...)

...but I have also used National Express, and it is indeed an excellent and affordable way to travel.

Peigi mentioned the first frost, in Cheshire too we had the first frost on the morning I left, Oct 20, and my bro-in-law had to scrape it off the car windows before taking me to the airport...

As I mentioned, the damp cold of England can come as a shock--temps are often higher than in northeastern US in fall and winter, but you can be taken by surprise by how chilled to the bone you can feel. And so those silk underlayer tops and leggings (or even mixed silk/cotton, mixed silk/wool--but silk alone is the easiest to pack as so non-bulky) are a godsend, so do as Trottytrue and stock up on them!

It was lovely being there...there have been questions about sausages, while still in Gloucestershire I had some wonderful sausages (big fat ones made from Gloucester Old Spot pork!) which we ate in a pub garden, it was still warm enough and even sunny....

Peigi, wonderful that you are enjoying the job and your talents are being recognised, plus that you will soon move in to that nice flat with river and swans...

Jackie, so good you are recovering well...look after yourself.

Rod great to have sold your couch and have the buyer take it downstairs and drive it away, excellent! enjoy the last few weeks in LV...and trip to Reno..

David so cool you are going for a trip to scope out properties...can't wait to visit your B & B in the west country! (if that's where you end up). One of my very favorite parts of England.

Trotty, you asked re house prices, it seems to me that in Glos, where I was, the prices have stayed the same, not dropped much--but it is a very expensive part of the country and not really representative.

Best to all,
Tina.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Well I'm glad there was a bit of a pause on the posting rate here, slim pickings as someone said, since it made less reading for me to catch upon after being away from the internet for a few days! Now am back in US.

I was still in England, but travelling; went from Gloucestershire up to Manchester area to stay with a sister... took the train, booked a few days in advance, online (in case you don't know, when travelling by train in UK there is often a huge savings, 50% or more, if you book a few days ahead rather than just going to the station on the day...and you can pick up the ticket at the station from the automatic machine. You can even state when booking online preferred type of seat--table seat or not, quiet carriage or not, etc...)

...but I have also used National Express, and it is indeed an excellent and affordable way to travel.

Peigi mentioned the first frost, in Cheshire too we had the first frost on the morning I left, Oct 20, and my bro-in-law had to scrape it off the car windows before taking me to the airport...

As I mentioned, the damp cold of England can come as a shock--temps are often higher than in northeastern US in fall and winter, but you can be taken by surprise by how chilled to the bone you can feel. And so those silk underlayer tops and leggings (or even mixed silk/cotton, mixed silk/wool--but silk alone is the easiest to pack as so non-bulky) are a godsend, so do as Trottytrue and stock up on them!

It was lovely being there...there have been questions about sausages, while still in Gloucestershire I had some wonderful sausages (big fat ones made from Gloucester Old Spot pork!) which we ate in a pub garden, it was still warm enough and even sunny....

Peigi, wonderful that you are enjoying the job and your talents are being recognised, plus that you will soon move in to that nice flat with river and swans...

Jackie, so good you are recovering well...look after yourself.

Rod great to have sold your couch and have the buyer take it downstairs and drive it away, excellent! enjoy the last few weeks in LV...and trip to Reno..

David so cool you are going for a trip to scope out properties...can't wait to visit your B & B in the west country! (if that's where you end up). One of my very favorite parts of England.

Trotty, you asked re house prices, it seems to me that in Glos, where I was, the prices have stayed the same, not dropped much--but it is a very expensive part of the country and not really representative.

Best to all,
Tina.
Thank you Tina,
It sounds as if you had a lovely vacation. I can almost taste the sausages. There are absolutely 3 things I have to have when I go to England, Fish and Chips, sausages, and a Pasty...(.and I wonder why I am over weight ) there are a few more things, but those are the essentuals..we then move on to treakle pudding and custard, cream donuts.etc..etc..lol ..but the great thing about England is you can always go for a lovely walk after all of that wonderful indulgence..
Jackie
Old Oct 24th 2010, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Some quotes on Greyhound.

That said, I avoid Greyhound at all costs. It's slow, uncomfortable, dirty, smelly, and inconvenient. The train is far better. I'd probably choose the train over the coach in Europe too, though I have had reasonably good luck with National Express between Bournemouth and London.

Another for Rodney.......

I took one look at the Greyhound "check-in" hall and literally turned on my heels - I didn't feel safe there at all and I'd only just walked in the place. Imagine UK chavs, scum and general deadbeats all rounded up in one place - but worse - with guns!

I thought there's no way I'm travelling on a coach. I thought to myelf, I just have to open my mouth once and everyone knows I have a weird accent from Europe. Cut to me several hours later with a gunshot to the head, pockets emptied of wallet etc... in a coach rest stop half way along the greyhound route to NYC.

So I reconsidered, jumped back in my colleagues car and drove to Detroit airport, and took a rickety old about-to-fall-apart-any-minute airplane to NYC.

Don't even US students dare to take the greyhound anymore? Or was that just bad luck in Detroit? I'd been expecting something like National Express, not Death Row Express...
Old Oct 24th 2010, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I got this personal mail from a Brit who has lived in the US and is married to USC and lives in the UK now.

I don't think we'll end up living here forever, it's not as great as you probably remember. It's miserable, everyone walks around like they're chewing wasps and it never stops raining. The best that the UK has to offer is accessible through a couple of two week holidays a year. And maybe a visit when you need free medical treatment. California is a much more friendly and forgiving place to bring kids up.

I work out in the community and spend quite a lot of time walking around different areas - I'm sad to say that that particular area is struggling with crime and deprivation.

I pass along this because I love the UK but I have to be on the alert for what can be a bad experience if we pick the wrong location to live.

I could go on forever on the wrong places to live in the US. Fortunately I live in one of the best, cleanest and safest communities in the US.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

and now for an up beat observation.

My wife told me when she got back into the car, in Ely, NV, that the restroom (toilet) in the MacDonalds was immaculate and the cleanest she had ever seen. It was so clean that another women asked if it was necessary to clean around the wash basin with a paper towel before they left.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:01 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The best that the UK has to offer is accessible through a couple of two week holidays a year. And maybe a visit when you need free medical treatment. California is a much more friendly and forgiving place to bring kids up.
[/I]
Your friend will be in for quite the shock if she thinks she can move back to California and do a quick run to UK for free medical
But California has been a good place to bring up kids, I've been doing that here for the last 17 years straight, it however is not as good as it once was, the school have down hill a lot, and we live in a good school area. My first was in K 17 years ago and now my last has started, same school and one of the same teachers. Even she complained to me that it's not like it used to be, no where near as good.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

and now for an up beat observation.

My wife told me when she got back into the car, in Ely, NV, that the restroom (toilet) in the MacDonalds was immaculate and the cleanest she had ever seen. It was so clean that another women asked if it was necessary to clean around the wash basin with a paper towel before they left.
I have to say honestly of the things I will miss about the US. Clean restrooms pretty much everywhere. ICE in my drinks.. Service (restaurants etc) wide roads...oh and " Family Guy "..lol, although my Mom said they just started getting that late night..
Jackie
Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:48 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I have to say honestly of the things I will miss about the US. Clean restrooms pretty much everywhere. ICE in my drinks.. Service (restaurants etc) wide roads...oh and " Family Guy "..lol, although my Mom said they just started getting that late night..
Jackie
You are funny. I refuse to use a lot of rest rooms around here, they are notoriously awful.
I pick carefully in UK same as here, nice pubs usually have nice rest rooms.
Wide roads I'll miss too. Ice not so much.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Tina,
It sounds as if you had a lovely vacation. I can almost taste the sausages. There are absolutely 3 things I have to have when I go to England, Fish and Chips, sausages, and a Pasty...(.and I wonder why I am over weight ) there are a few more things, but those are the essentuals..we then move on to treakle pudding and custard, cream donuts.etc..etc..lol ..but the great thing about England is you can always go for a lovely walk after all of that wonderful indulgence..
Jackie
When I go back to England the "must have" things are very different from yours: Twiglets; Marmite; Cotswold honey; good bread; good cheese...

but yes, then the essential walk to walk it off!

Tina
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

I got this personal mail from a Brit who has lived in the US and is married to USC and lives in the UK now.

I don't think we'll end up living here forever, it's not as great as you probably remember. It's miserable, everyone walks around like they're chewing wasps and it never stops raining. The best that the UK has to offer is accessible through a couple of two week holidays a year. And maybe a visit when you need free medical treatment. California is a much more friendly and forgiving place to bring kids up.

I work out in the community and spend quite a lot of time walking around different areas - I'm sad to say that that particular area is struggling with crime and deprivation.

I pass along this because I love the UK but I have to be on the alert for what can be a bad experience if we pick the wrong location to live.

I could go on forever on the wrong places to live in the US. Fortunately I live in one of the best, cleanest and safest communities in the US.
This is very interesting. Of course it does rain a lot, we must be prepared for that, and there are areas with crime and deprivation. Also what DDL mentioned, an awareness of the possibility of being burgled etc, much more in the atmosphere in UK than in many US places.

I think it's good for us expats to be reminded that it isn't an unsullied paradise! It's important to choose as nice an area as possible (money permitting!) to live in, I feel-and to research it well.

Tina
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Jackie
I think public loos are actually cleaner in England, usually...and as for ice in your drinks, don't worry, Jackie, they have started putting ice in the drinks in UK now and I find it horrifying! One's usually feeling cold enough already!!

I think I will miss the quintessential American diner, though!

Tina
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Your friend will be in for quite the shock if she thinks she can move back to California and do a quick run to UK for free medical
But California has been a good place to bring up kids, I've been doing that here for the last 17 years straight, it however is not as good as it once was, the school have down hill a lot, and we live in a good school area. My first was in K 17 years ago and now my last has started, same school and one of the same teachers. Even she complained to me that it's not like it used to be, no where near as good.
I thought the lottery money was to go to the schools.
Wot wen wong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.