Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

I do understand what you are saying and believe me I have thought about that. The rent here is almost as much as rent on a flat. I just have a problem sharing the bathroom with 2 men who are not my husband who leave the seat up and don't flush the b****y toilet, not matter what they have doneeek:
Originally Posted by aes1
Eastern Dawn, I know how desperate you are to get into your own place, I am sure I would be to. However, have you thought you might be trying to do this backwards? Wouldn't it make more sense to continue to live with your friend in her house until you can find a job? After all, it is convenient, not much rent, and you are only one person right now. If you had a job, a prospective landlord might be more inclined to rent to you, because then you would have at least some proof of income coming in. Also, this flat might be ideal, but if you take a job in an entirely different location, you may find yourself moving again fairly shortly. Each time you move costs more money. I would be focusing in finding work first, even saving some money, then a home. Just a thought.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:31 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

EasternDawn - I don't know if you've heard of Craigslist? It is a huge free classified advert website in the US - but now international and there is a section specifically for the Glasgow area.

There are sections for jobs and accommodation for rent and for sale:

http://glasgow.craigslist.co.uk/
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Well, I'm with you there Easterdawn, I came from a family of all boys and only one bathroom, if I had my druthers I wouldn't even share with my husband And, in any, case it is always preferable to have one's own place, no matter how small, the freedom is worth the extra money. Speaking of money, when you quoted prices on various items, did that include any taxes? as you know here in Canada we have 5% GST and 7% PST added to everything.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:00 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boodles
Well, I'm with you there Easterdawn, I came from a family of all boys and only one bathroom, if I had my druthers I wouldn't even share with my husband And, in any, case it is always preferable to have one's own place, no matter how small, the freedom is worth the extra money. Speaking of money, when you quoted prices on various items, did that include any taxes? as you know here in Canada we have 5% GST and 7% PST added to everything.
VAT (value added tax) is 15% (17.5% from Jan 2010) in the UK and is embedded in the ticket price of items. So the price you see is the price you pay.

In Nova Scotia we add on 13% HST - this % varies for each province and although less than you pay in the UK, it's a pain to add on at the checkout.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the price tags include the taxes on the item. Perhaps someone else who would know better than I could comment.
Originally Posted by Boodles
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Cookie, I thought that was how it was. I still think that I have to add money on to purchases, so right now still a nice surprise when I get to till.

Originally Posted by Cookie
VAT (value added tax) is 15% (17.5% from Jan 2010) in the UK and is embedded in the ticket price of items. So the price you see is the price you pay.

In Nova Scotia we add on 13% HST - this % varies for each province and although less than you pay in the UK, it's a pain to add on at the checkout.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I think that the price tags include the taxes on the item. Perhaps someone else who would know better than I could comment.
If the price/quote stated does not include VAT it must be stated that it excludes VAT...this is a legal requirement...otherwise you presume VAT is included.

Many people from North America think prices in the UK are expensive but they include taxes and in restaurants etc they normally include tips.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 21st 2009 at 1:36 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute

Hallelujah!! Hallelujah!!, I got my NI number this morning, also I was able to open bank account at Lloyds, only thing they asked for was my present address, my passport, and that was it, will be recieving bank card in mail next week. Did talk with the people who own the cottage they agreed to give back 100 pounds of the money, still would of liked to have it all back, but will settle for 100 pounds.

So on in all very productive morning, I also met with the council to see if I am able to be approved for council house,, will find out the results next week also. It is a beautiful day here, warm and sunny, reflecting how I feel right now. I still have the telephone interview this evening at 5:00pm with the lady from England re housekeeping position. If it goes well will have to go down for face to face interview. Will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Just wanted to thank everyone from this forum who has kept me going with their encouraging thoughts. It so far has been a ride and a half in the past 3 weeks since I landed. I know there is still some bumpy times ahead, but i will hang on for dear life and not fall of the roller coaster
Enjoy this good day ,it will be gresat to look back on when you need it ,I'm jealous
Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

ex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really nice

Here in Ayrshire, not sure if the same in other counties is that you have to have agreement with landlord in writing to take to them before they will issue benefit, so it is a catch 22 situation. I myself would like to be able to do this without my landlord knowing I am on any type of benefits. Also on the application for benefits, there is a question regarding if you wish the benefit to be paid directly to you or to your landlord.

I really did fall in love with this cottage/flat, old traditional brownstone main floor flat, with basically everything in it that I would wish for. Stewarton is a lovely little town with many small boutique type businesses. It is also vibrant artistic area so has many hidden aspects to it, only five minute buss ride from KIlmaurs, and 20 minute train ride from Glasgow. So I will have to see what I can do to get it, might have to bite the bullet and talk to agent and ask if owner would be interested in renting to person on benefits, as many landlords put no DSS right on there ads.
ED - Glad to hear things are looking up for you now. I'm sure you'lol find a place soon. On visits to England I've seen houses to rent in estate agents' windows and they often say "DHHS wlecome". Because they get paid directly by the council they're sure of the rent every month. Are things so much different in Scotland? Anyway, good luck.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex brummy
ED - Glad to hear things are looking up for you now. I'm sure you'lol find a place soon. On visits to England I've seen houses to rent in estate agents' windows and they often say "DHHS wlecome". Because they get paid directly by the council they're sure of the rent every month. Are things so much different in Scotland? Anyway, good luck.
Not any more - see my earlier post (#584 - blimey, this thread is like the Eenrgizer bunny, it just keeps on going, and going, and going ...)

If the tenant defaults on the rent, eventually the DSS will pay direct to the landlord, but how many landlords want to deal with the hassle in between times?

I can't find the original article, but the following artiucle alludes to the problem (see bottom paragraph): http://property.timesonline.co.uk/to...le1291449.ece#

Some lenders also are less friendly towardrs landlords with tenants on benefits: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/mon...cle665539.ece#
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I went to Jobcentre today and guess what they could not find me in computer, was there most of the day trying to get it sorted out, finally after 6 hours they finally got it right.

I was having a cuppa tea today and started thinking about the differences between Canada and Scotland/UK, thought I would share some of them and maybe you can add some of your own.

Finally a good cup of tea
When you ask for a cream cake, you get a "cream" cake, no artificial stuff here.
People start talking to you, I mean really talking to you everywhere, waiting for a bus, sitting having a tea.
Wonderful selections of fruit and veggies and they don't charge more for the organic thing
In Canada we put eggs in the fridge, here they leave them in cupboard, even in the stores they are on shelves, very strange.
The excellent quality of the woolens
You don't have to figure out what things are going to cost with the added taxes you before you get to the till
People wearing winter boots and jackets already, and saying my goodness it's cold this morning.
The driving, oh my god, the driving and then there's the parking, this way and that way.
Lots of dogs, all being walked on leashes, they go everywhere,on the bus, the train, in the malls and even in the stores
I am sure there are many more things I will think of , but if you think of any add them on.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Well I went to Jobcentre today and guess what they could not find me in computer, was there most of the day trying to get it sorted out, finally after 6 hours they finally got it right.

I was having a cuppa tea today and started thinking about the differences between Canada and Scotland/UK, thought I would share some of them and maybe you can add some of your own.

When you ask for a cream cake, you get a "cream" cake, no artificial stuff here.
People start talking to you, I mean really talking to you everywhere, waiting for a bus, sitting having a tea.
Wonderful selections of fruit and veggies and they don't charge more for the organic thing
In Canada we put eggs in the fridge, here they leave them in cupboard, even in the stores they are on shelves, very strange.
You don't have to figure out what things are going to cost with the added taxes you before you get to the till
People wearing winter boots and jackets already, and saying my goodness it's cold this morning.
The driving, oh my god, the driving and then there's the parking, this way and that way.
Lots of dogs, all being walked on leashes, they go everywhere,on the bus, the train, in the malls and even in the stores
I am sure there are many more things I will think of , but if you think of any add them on.
"Lots of dogs, all being walked on leashes, they go everywhere,on the bus, the train, in the malls and even in the stores" ... and in the pubs
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

ED, Are these dogs well behaved?? That's one thing I can't stand here in the US South, everyone has a dog for hunting/protection/pet/just because, and many owners let them run loose all times of day and night, and bark all times of day and night.......
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:19 pm
Ping-ponger

ED, Are these dogs well behaved?? That's one thing I can't stand here in the US South, everyone has a dog for hunting/protection/pet/just because, and many owners let them run loose all times of day and night, and bark all times of day and night.......
As a general observation, dogs in the UK are much better behaved and well-trained than dogs in the States (especially the Southeast). I regularly see dogs sitting outside a shop, untethered, in the UK, waiting patiently, and with very few exceptions, Suzy has not had any problems with dog aggression (i.e., from other dogs; she is a big softy herself).
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Since arriving here, that has been one of the things that has really impressed me is how well behaved the dogs are. I have seen the smallest of Yorkshire Terriers and what I thought to be the largest Rottweiller I have ever seen. They were all under control of their owners, not barking or straining at their leash as you walked past. I have seen like Dunroving, dogs sitting outside coffee shop or store waiting for their owner, no barking, you walk past they just lookn at you, it is really quite amazing to see. I have heard that if you don't have your dog under control or allow it to run free the consequences are bad.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Oct 22nd 2009 at 6:40 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.