Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I do have one question maybe you can help me with. In my many moves over the years I have lost my British passport, I do have a US one, and of course my British Birth certificate..will that be ok to return with.?
Yes
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:43 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
FOCL
I had to go and look it up
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Yes
Thank you cheers, I appreciate your reply. I thought it would be ok, just wondered if I can stay just based on being British by birth.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I had to go and look it up
I thought you would
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:46 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello Mummy -Bit different to the ones, we used in the RAF, when courting and writing to our young ladies!
ITALY, SWALK, HOLLAND, AMERICA, BURMA, and a very rude one- CAPSTAN.
Back to more serious info: My Thai Wife went to Bangkok Yesterday for her TB Xray, and a renewal of expired Settlement Visa, for us to return . They had told her, three months waiting list. But she came out with both (Has to show Xray Plate at Heathrow) and is now on her coach, back to me. Oh! PS - Rodney? he's still young! I am +80...dontheturner
Is there a time limit now on getting to the UK seeing the visa is now renewed? Or are you still set on 2011?
Just reading here Do you only have 90 days to enter UK?

The only one of those I know is HOLLAND.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Sep 28th 2010 at 1:48 am.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Is there a time limit now on getting to the UK seeing the visa is now renewed? Or are you still set on 2011?
Just reading here Do you only have 90 days to enter UK?

The only one of those I know is HOLLAND.
Hi Mummy, The first Visa she got, said ILR, (No recourse to public funds) but, I hope she remembered to ask them to Post date it''- which I think can be up to 90 days, Of course when we were there in 2007, there was no need for the life in the UK test, It was just coming in, so had we have stayed, she would have been fine. She has done remarkably well, with her English- I help, and she reads her translation dictionary, as she reads emails, and web items, We hope to leave here Feb 2011 - this heat is killing me - cannot wander for walks - I have slow heart beat.PS ITALY= I trust and love you..SWALK= Sealed with a loving Kiss.. AMERICA= All My Earlier Romances, I'll Cast Aside..BURMA= Be undressed ready My Angel..CAPSTAN= Can A P.... Stand Twice A Night........dontheturner
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wawa
To Be Honest, Rod...and then you get IMHO - In My Humble Opinion, LMAO - Laughing My Ass Off. I could go on and on, but some of the good ones are rude Helps when you have kids to keep you informed.
OK Wawa and fish & chips ------- now I really got it, yes thats it ----- you need teenagers around you ----- then you get to learn all the new Abbreviations that they have invented in there time,
Now I realize that I work with a lot of young people at my Job, and a couple of weeks ago I was talking to a young lady --- she had just turned 21 and she was so excited that now she was able to do (ANYTHING) she wants to do in Vegas now, and so anyway she looks at me as a Father figure or maybe to be more correct in her mind ---- probably a Grandfather figure
And as we were talking she came up with all these new words as she was describing something, I had to stop her often and say ---- say what? and she would interpret what it meant in everyday English language, I kid you not that in a 30 minute conversation as we spent our lunch break together and as we were both eating I had to interrupt her at least 6 times and asked her to please tell me what that word and this word meant,
She would often smile and say OK Rodney I keep forgetting how old you are,
She always makes me laugh, she has a great sense of humor,
I think we all on here benefit Immensely being around young people, It keeps us young and It also makes us realise that they are just in a different generation from us thats all, most of them are good kids, but they live in a much more complicated and difficult world then when we were there age and I take my hat off to them all, (we) were so much different to our parents generation too when we were 21, but in our day life was for sure much less complicated,
You two and everyone take care,
Rodney.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
No, no nothing like that .... I took it a few weeks ago just to get it out of the way. Before I can apply for ILR (for now, I only have LLR) I had to pass the test.

I can apply for ILR at any time during the next 26 months. No real rush as far as I'm concerned - it's going to be very expensive (800-some quid) so for now it's "on the back burner".
DDL/Denise and David,
Yes I agree at the (GIGANTIC) price that they charge of 800 pounds I would definitely put that on the back burner myself, especially as they give you 26 months to do it, no big rush right?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

I found a cheat sheet for us.
Here All the abbreviations we need.
Hi Mummy,
OMG ------- What a long list there is of abbreviations on this cheat sheet,
If one tried to study and actually learn all these letters by heart it is really just as hard as learning a brand new language, ------ unless one is in the age group of 13 to 20
I have though printed this list out and I thank you for takeing the time to send us the link,
So I can always refer to the list whenever I dont understand a particular new abbreviation that I have never heard of before ------ which seems to be on a daily basis these days,
Rodney.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighTide
FOCL
Oh please David what the heck is FOCL? my mind is boggled so please tell me,
and I think that when you and your partner eventually find the B&B business of your choice, you will be getting a whole lot of us on this thread wanting to stay at your place,
Maybe we could arrange a yearly get together at your B&B for everyone already over there at that time, what a blast that would be,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jasper123
Oh please David what the heck is FOCL? my mind is boggled so please tell me,
and I think that when you and your partner eventually find the B&B business of your choice, you will be getting a whole lot of us on this thread wanting to stay at your place,
Maybe we could arrange a yearly get together at your B&B for everyone already over there at that time, what a blast that would be,
Take care,
Rodney.
OK Rodney it's FALLING OFF CHAIR LAUGHING

That would be amazing if we could have a get together at the B&B
I have my family busy looking for places we may want to look at. Things are moving rapidly now. It's all rather scarey.
Cheers, David
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you Rodney, and everyone else for your warm wishes. Fortunately fo me I dont own a home, I rent..so that wont be much of a problem, and its sad to say after 34 years, that I can probably take everything I need in a couple of suitecases.
I did have some wonderful times and years here in the US, but it has become a struggle lately just to survive, and now with this operation, I will probably loose everything..so if I am going to start over again, I want to do it where people care for me, in a place where you know your neighbors, and you can walk into the Village for your morning paper, and pass people walking their dogs..who always have a "mornin" for you... I am actually looking forward to getting this surgery behind me, and as soon as I am cleared for take off..I am out of Dodge.. (see I have been here to long
Jackie
Hello Jackie,
Your not alone, you say sadly you can fit 34 years of stuff into 2 suitcases,
well I am not leaving for 8 more weeks from now but last week I packed two suitcases full of everything that Im takeing back home, and there staying packed --- Ive weighed them and there good to go,
Mind you I had to throw a lot of stuff away, and take a dozen 30 gallon black garbage bags full of clothes and everything else to the charity shops, and a ton of stuff I chucked out in the Apartment DUMSTER, And Its now all done and now I can relax and Just kick back and work for another 6 weeks and then Just look forward to that BIG flying machine blasting off to England,
But thats it 36 years in two suitcases just like you,
You mention about starting over again in UK ------ as they say in New York New York ----- forget about it, ---- it will be no problem at all especially as you are such a young lass, starting over will be exciting, Im looking forward to it so much,
And you and I have quite a lot in common really cause we are the only two people on this thread that lives in Vegas, --- as far as I know,
and we are so fortunate that you will be going back and living with your Parents ---- and me so lucky that I will be able to live with my 91 year young Mum and spend as much time as I can with her,

And also that you and me we both rent so we dont have a lot to loose do we over here,

we dont have any family over here ----- there all in England,

also we have both lived in the United States about the same amount of time, you 34 years me 36 years,

Also we are both divorced, you for 8 years --- me for 27 years Wow thats a long time Hmmmmm,
Jackie you are a new member and everyone on here welcomes you, dont be a stranger, check in often, talk about whatever, anything or nothing, we are all good listeners, you could live to 120 and you would never find a finer and more caring bunch of people then those on this thread, and the many different life experiences of everyone is wonderful, any given day whatever your concerns/questions/advice needed or just someone to say the right thing at the right time to make you feel better will be answered by someone or many people, cause you talk to real people, and the people on here are the very cream of the crop, as Laurence Welk used to say on his TV show ------- Vunderful Vunderful,
Take very good care of your self,
Rodney.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello Jackie,
Your not alone, you say sadly you can fit 34 years of stuff into 2 suitcases,
well I am not leaving for 8 more weeks from now but last week I packed two suitcases full of everything that Im takeing back home, and there staying packed --- Ive weighed them and there good to go,
Mind you I had to throw a lot of stuff away, and take a dozen 30 gallon black garbage bags full of clothes and everything else to the charity shops, and a ton of stuff I chucked out in the Apartment DUMSTER, And Its now all done and now I can relax and Just kick back and work for another 6 weeks and then Just look forward to that BIG flying machine blasting off to England,
But thats it 36 years in two suitcases just like you,
You mention about starting over again in UK ------ as they say in New York New York ----- forget about it, ---- it will be no problem at all especially as you are such a young lass, starting over will be exciting, Im looking forward to it so much,
And you and I have quite a lot in common really cause we are the only two people on this thread that lives in Vegas, --- as far as I know,
and we are so fortunate that you will be going back and living with your Parents ---- and me so lucky that I will be able to live with my 91 year young Mum and spend as much time as I can with her,

And also that you and me we both rent so we dont have a lot to loose do we over here,

we dont have any family over here ----- there all in England,

also we have both lived in the United States about the same amount of time, you 34 years me 36 years,

Also we are both divorced, you for 8 years --- me for 27 years Wow thats a long time Hmmmmm,
Jackie you are a new member and everyone on here welcomes you, dont be a stranger, check in often, talk about whatever, anything or nothing, we are all good listeners, you could live to 120 and you would never find a finer and more caring bunch of people then those on this thread, and the many different life experiences of everyone is wonderful, any given day whatever your concerns/questions/advice needed or just someone to say the right thing at the right time to make you feel better will be answered by someone or many people, cause you talk to real people, and the people on here are the very cream of the crop, as Laurence Welk used to say on his TV show ------- Vunderful Vunderful,
Take very good care of your self,
Rodney.
Rodney,
What a shame we have not chatted sooner, perhaps we could have met for a cocktail and chatted..we do have so much in common, what kept you here all this time?
I recieved more bad news today, my job requires a health card here in Vegas, and as mine was up for renewal today, I went to the health dept to get it. Due to my current situation, and pending surgery, they wouldnt issue a new card to me, even though they issue them totally unrelated to the problem I have. therefore, I am unable to work for the remaining 2 weeks prior to my surgery..adding more stress, and less money to my already crappy situation.
All this has made my decision to move back the the UK a no brainer..I cant wait to get out of this town....I started over when I moved here at 18, and again when I divorced 8 yrs ago, I think I have one more time in me..
Jackie.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I do have one question maybe you can help me with. In my many moves over the years I have lost my British passport, I do have a US one, and of course my British Birth certificate..will that be ok to return with.?
Cheers thinks you will be OK and I do too, but Id like to see more reponse to his question, Is Jackie OK to return with a US passport and British birth certificate???.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I found a cheat sheet for us.
Here All the abbreviations we need.
That was helpful, I knew some but many were new to me.
Tar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.