Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 27th 2010, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

jackie, welcome to the forum, so sorry to read about your illness.
You should definitely hook up with Rodney, he can tell you all about his journey, he is also ace at clearing out "stuff" no man I know can work for a day and get rid of 30 something years of stuff in 90 degree heat......
Where are you Rodney!!!

Yes Pompey flipping annihilated my Leicester...........
Old Sep 27th 2010, 12:12 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie, I just wanted to add my welcome and my very best wishes for your speedy recovery and return home. You have found a wonderful group of people here.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Huhhhhh I still get confused with abbreviations, at first I thought DH was divorced husband, or maybe dumb half...
That's the thing, you can fill in d__________ husband.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Well I haven't reached 50 yet, but we've been here a long time. I too am a nurse, I have worked in nursing homes in the past. I don't want to end up in one. But if I do I want it to be a UK one where I'll at least get a good cup of tea. The slop they passed for food and the tepid water with a tea bag floating in it were appalling. I'd die very quickly in depression if I ended up there. Bloody scary isn't it.
So can I join?
I've only 3 years to go till 50 and that is supposed to be our year to move. Ds will graduate high school that year.
Now I know
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Relocateme
I would like to know if folks will go back to the big city or will they choose a quieter place.
A quieter place, but I like the idea of London because of the free transportation and lots of things to do.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
ldyinlv, I am so sorry to hear about your kidney cancer. I have been in US for 26 years and only just wee bit younger than you. yes health insurance in US can cost you everything.. I also wish you all the best upon your return to UK which I think there is no question that you should do as soon as you are able to.. One of forum members also lives in Vegas well - he is reutrning home at age 65 so if he can do it you can as well. I really wish you all the best..
If we are talking about Rod? He is 72?
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:32 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
He just had his 65th birthday in July and signed up with Social security didn't he?
I'm sure he'll be by to set us all straight.

Hey Charleygirl, you know the ones with swear words in thanks to the kids huh?

Cheers has me figured out, in my 40's and passing myself off as 50 already
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
He just had his 65th birthday in July and signed up with Social security didn't he?
I'm sure he'll be by to set us all straight.

Hey Charleygirl, you know the ones with swear words in thanks to the kids huh?

Cheers has me figured out, in my 40's and passing myself off as 50 already
Your right Mummy! I just saw a post were he said he is 65.

Rodney - go for it, your memory will be less sharp the longer you leave it, so do it now! Anishq - I admire you for moving at age 71, makes me feel like a wimp at hesitating at age 58!!

this is how I got mixed up.

Last edited by cheers; Sep 27th 2010 at 2:56 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I understand Rodney that you are flying with Virgin Atlantic?

Well the good news is.....alcohol on Virgin and British Airways flights - even in economy class - is free unlike the US airlines where you have to pay for beer, wine and spirits

TBH if I were you, be very, very nice to the person at the check-in desk. Tell them how excited you are that you are returning to live in the UK after living overseas for so many years and give them your nicest smile. I wouldn't ask outright for a free upgrade, but do ask the person how much it is to upgrade to Premium Economy. It may already be full, but if not they should tell you how much it will cost. Tell them that sorry, it is too expensive for you as you have had a lot of expenses with moving back to England.

With a bit of luck, you might find that they may give you a free upgrade (if not at check-in, but perhaps at the boarding gate.
Hi Englishmum,
Thank you for clearing that up about the free alcoholic drinks on Virgin Atlantic,
I have been flying Virgin for a lot of years now, ---- since they first started there direct no stops flight from Vegas to London, and the wine beer and booze has always been free and plentiful too, and so I didn't think it had changed either, ---- So what does that tell us? the British really know how to run an airline, cause British Airways and Virgin Atlantic are both British Airlines,
And yes I will try that nice approach at the check in desk and try to get a free upgrade you never know do you, I have never tried that before,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I am thinking of moving back home to the Uk after 34 yrs in th US. I have been divorced for 8 years, and have no family here. I have friends but the holidays are still a lonely time. I have been diagnosed with Kidney cancer, and will be having my Kidney removed in October. I hope to move back after my recovery, as this has been an eye opener for me. I have medical insurance, but even with that this will cost me all my savings, and going through it alone (no family) has made me realise just how lonely I am here now.
My parents are still alive and living in the Uk and I would like to spend a few years with them, as they are getting old. I am Fifty two .
I have lived in Las Vegas for 28 years, and the entertainment capital of the world can really be a cold and lonely place to be. I was recently home to visit, and really felt sad when I had to leave. I dont really have a "career" kind of job, so leaving that will not be a problem. I just kind of worry about starting over again in UK. I will live with my parents..they have a nice home, and are looking forward to me being with them.
Any advice....
Jackie..
Hello Jackie,
And welcome to this thread, I also live in Vegas, came here from Reno 14 years ago, sorry to here of your kidney cancer, but after your recovery I do hope that it all works out for you that you will be able to return to England,
You are so right when you say that Vegas is a very cold and lonely place,
I have grown to hate it in this Town,
I am going home to England for good in a little over 8 weeks from now, I made my decision about a year ago, and I am very excited in going home, my Mum is 91 and I am very fortunate that I will be living with her,
Jackie my advice to you is do everything you can to make that move back to your roots --- the UK ---- I am sure you will be happy there,
I have lived in US for 36 years and I know for sure that this is my time to go back to my home,
Take good care of yourself,
Rodney.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
EXCUSE ME CHEERS I am not 72 everyone else on here knows that I am only 65, I have mentioned my age many many times in my posts,
Rodney.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I made it here! Thanks for all the good wishes - I did think of you all as I was flying over the Atlantic ocean - the airplane had a TV monitor that showed where on the map the plane had reached, how many miles were left to travel, plus the time needed to get to Heathrow. I traveled US Air - not sure if I would recommend them as the first leg of the flight from Minneapolis to Philly was booked solid, and there is preferential boarding, so the business class got on first and took up all the overhead bins, leaving no room, as in NO room for anyone else. So within 10 minutes of the boarding starting, everyone else had to leave their carry on bags at the gate for loading into the hold. Well, I had all my good china and crystal glasses packed for carry on, not for luggage hold, so as you can imagine, there is not much left intact. Luckily I lived in the US for enough years to know how to file an insurance claim and fight for my rights, as the airline will not be happy to cover fragile items - even when their own staff would not allow me to look after my own interests.

OK, on to the UK. First impressions: Heathrow is a muddle - too many people arriving at one time, too many lines. It took an hour to get to the Immigration officer - I was travelling on my US passport as my UK one is not yet renewed, so I was in the longest line in the world, I swear. If you can get your UK passport updated before travelling, make sure to do that - it will save your temper! I did more walking in the first two hours on UK soil than I have done in months - should lose all the weight I gained in the US, which is a good thing. The country seems so miniature compared to the US - well, it is, but the roads are narrow, the cars are tiny, lots of traffic on the London roads (nothing new there) and sometimes the US seems better organised. But - the populace are relaxed - no anxious faces around.

I went shopping yesterday with my friend with whom I am staying, then again today on my own. I am currently in the west of London, where there is a mixed Commonwealth population, so it is an interesting mix of people and languages. Yes, many languages spoken at the same time - does not seem like a traditional English town - because it isn't. Many shops to visit, and I only went into the ones I needed items from, such as M & S, Boots, and Currys. Currys was a joke - most of the staff either did not understand, or did not speak, English. So I am going to buy the electronic items I need (for using my US computers etc. in the UK) on line, that way there will be no issue. I managed to get a renewable battery charger because I could help myself to that from the display on the wall, but trying to get the clerk to understand that I need a power cord was not possible... I got a Debit Card from Thomas Cook - there was a small charge for putting GB pounds on the card, whereas the other EU currencies are free, but now I have a card I can use at ATM machines (there is a 1.5- GBpound charge for this each time) but it is free to use for purchases - which is why I got it. I do not know if the other companies that offer this same/a similar card make the same charges. I gave Thomas Cook $700 and after a $8 charge, they put $400 on my debit card, and gave me back a small amount of change too. Tomorrow the rate may change, but today that is what I got.

The grocery stores were plentiful - yesterday I went into regular sized Tesco, and it was jammed with people - on a Sunday. There is now Sunday trading from 11am - 6pm - I do not know if that is all over the UK, or just region by region. There is also a Sainsburys Local, and a Spar store - the Local is like a convenience store in the USA - basic items provided, no frills, limited choice. The main Post Office in the area had closed, and a smaller one has moved into the back of W H Smith. The lines were unbelievable. There is a Foreign Exchange window in the Post Office - the rates are posted at each Foreign Exchange place, and there is not much, if any, difference between them. I suppose if I had many thousands of dollars to change then I would have shopped more carefully, but I know Thomas Cook from years ago, and they were fine to deal with. In the Post Office, the passport and drivers licence forms were out, so I will use the Internet for those. I got my passport photos taken at a local photo store, at a cost of 6.99 pounds. I could have used a machine, but I wanted to make sure I got photos I could actual send to the Passport and Drivers license places! I only had to wait 10 minutes for the photos to be ready, and got them given to me in a little folder, each one already cut properly to the required size.

At the moment, I am glad to be here, but still making comparisons with the USA, so I will just post facts, not opinions when I write. Each person will have their own opinions to work with, and I am not going to be one of those dreaded negative posters. I am just now recovering properly from the jet lag + the stress of packing and moving, and I know that is a negative factor for me.

Until next time - I will check in with more of my daily activities on Wednesday - tomorrow is stay at home and administrative day for me. If anyone wants specific information that I am able to get for them, please post it or send me a private email. I will do my best to help. Rosie
Old Sep 27th 2010, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
EXCUSE ME CHEERS I am not 72 everyone else on here knows that I am only 65, I have mentioned my age many many times in my posts,
Rodney.
My apologies............. I did try and clear it up, did you miss that? It was someone called Anishq who is 72.

You youngsters.

Last edited by cheers; Sep 27th 2010 at 7:35 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:54 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HighTide
Hi Denise....I was just wondering when exactly after arriving in the UK did you have to take the test. Is it at the airport on arrival ? I hope not as one could be a little brain dead after a transatlantic flight. Also did this qualify you for an Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) ? I understand this is sometimes granted if you have been together for over 4 years. Thanks very much and do hope your new job is going well. Thanks, David

No, no nothing like that .... I took it a few weeks ago just to get it out of the way. Before I can apply for ILR (for now, I only have LLR) I had to pass the test.

I can apply for ILR at any time during the next 26 months. No real rush as far as I'm concerned - it's going to be very expensive (800-some quid) so for now it's "on the back burner".
Old Sep 27th 2010, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=DDL;8880114]No, no nothing like that .... I took it a few weeks ago just to get it out of the way. Before I can apply for ILR (for now, I only have LLR) I had to pass the test.

I can apply for ILR at any time during the next 26 months. No real rush as far as I'm concerned - it's going to be very expensive (800-some quid) so for now it's "on the back burner".[/QUOT

Oh that's good. I don't think we will be rushing either at 800 quid. I can see how it would be good to get the test out of the way though. Thanks, David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.