Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
My dream is to buy a volkswagon camper van and just travel around for a summer, maybe some day. I envy you, have fun.
Hi Peigi

Hope all is going well with you. That is what we plan to do some time in the future. I always said i would like to tour around scotland. Go up the west coast and down the east. We would have to do it in a camper van. We have an older touring caravan, but towing a caravan up those mountains would be very difficult.

Take care Chris
Old Jul 9th 2010, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone I got a new log in name... for personal reasons, hope everyones plans are still moving along nicely. PM me if you want to know how i was hahaha.
Sending of the paper work for my Citizenship next Monday.......another step towards my future.
Hope all of you already back in the UK are still happy...
Old Jul 9th 2010, 4:43 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Sending of the paper work for my Citizenship next Monday.......another step towards my future. Hope all of you already back in the UK are still happy...
IMHO the most important thing one should do before repatriating back to their home country. Well done, and good luck!

DH and I never considered returning to the UK until he had his US citizenship in hand. You can't cross a bridge once it's been burned.....
Old Jul 9th 2010, 4:52 pm
DDL

Well friends, it's finished: We turned in our notices here at work this morning!!!!!! Our last day will be 06 Aug. Now there's no more "secrets" and we can fully bask in the excitement about our move back to England.

The news was taken well by our respective supervisors, although both seemed genuinely sad to see us go.

My job is menial, but my husband is the web developer so his absence is going to cause a major disruption. But, as we all know, nobody is indispensable - they will survive.

30 days from today we set sail on the QM2.

Our US health insurance coverage will not expire until 01 September, which means that we will be covered during the 6 days we are on the ship, which is nice to know. Once we set foot upon UK soil, of course, NHS takes over.

Tonight begins a 3-week-end rotation of each of my grandsons spending the night with Neecie (that's what they call me). So tonight, it's supper at Josh's favorite place (McDonald's) followed by a trip to Wal-Mart. He wants some new puzzles, and Neecie will be more than happy to oblige.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Aw Denise I am so happy for you......if only I had done this years ago before the children became big children......
I love this forum although it makes me sad too because of my missed opportunities......one day though I know it will be me.
Enjoy these next 30 days!
I am counting the days to my trip home to see my mum ( 88 years old). Not told my family here yet though
Oh just noticed you are nicknamed Neecie well I am Neasie too. haha

Last edited by charleygirl; Jul 9th 2010 at 5:12 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Congrats Denise! Its probably all starting to hit home now Resignation is always so final, and yet another check mark off your list. Wishing you all the best - enjoy your countdown. So many of us wish we were in your shoes!

Last edited by Wawa; Jul 9th 2010 at 6:02 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 5:40 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Denise, the countdown begins
Have fun with the grandchildren.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 6:10 pm
DDL

Thanks everyone. Tony and I just got back from lunch (it's nice to work at the same place) and we were talking about that very same thing Wawa, about the finality/reality of it hitting home now. Hopefully it will be a good 20 more days of work. I've only been here for 6 months, but Tony's worked here for 3 years. Everyone here loves him (and is aware of his significant contributions) so his day has already been filled with loads of pats on the back, kudos, etc. This is good for him. Me, I work in a small office of 3 others and we are kind of "isolated" from the big picture of what we do here, so things on my end are a bit quieter, but that's okay. Just gives me more time to post on BE.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Thanks everyone. Tony and I just got back from lunch (it's nice to work at the same place) and we were talking about that very same thing Wawa, about the finality/reality of it hitting home now. Hopefully it will be a good 20 more days of work. I've only been here for 6 months, but Tony's worked here for 3 years. Everyone here loves him (and is aware of his significant contributions) so his day has already been filled with loads of pats on the back, kudos, etc. This is good for him. Me, I work in a small office of 3 others and we are kind of "isolated" from the big picture of what we do here, so things on my end are a bit quieter, but that's okay. Just gives me more time to post on BE.
The next few weeks are going to be full of ups, downs and some wobbles also, especially when it comes to the grandkids. Don't try to push these feelings aside, they are part of the journey enjoy the time you have left and then enjoy the next 100 years even more
Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcmaccallum
Hi Peigi

Hope all is going well with you. That is what we plan to do some time in the future. I always said i would like to tour around scotland. Go up the west coast and down the east. We would have to do it in a camper van. We have an older touring caravan, but towing a caravan up those mountains would be very difficult.

Take care Chris
Things are going okay, it seems almost impossible that it has 10 months since I left Canada, and most of time it feels wonderful but as I have said it will feel much better when husband and the pooches are here. Still haven't driven yet, was thinking about that last night and I am going to book some lessons this month. Safer for everybody I think Isn't the weather wonderful the flowers, I have never seen such large beautiful roses in all my days in Canada, they are blooming all over Ayr and I just want to pick some, but think the council might have something to say about that.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 8:02 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
The next few weeks are going to be full of ups, downs and some wobbles also, especially when it comes to the grandkids. Don't try to push these feelings aside, they are part of the journey enjoy the time you have left and then enjoy the next 100 years even more
Thanks for the reminder - I really need to work on the "Don't try to push these feelings aside" part because those are the exact feelings that I am pushing aside.

Sigh.

But you are right - they are part and parcel of the overall journey.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Be interested to hear of any comments any of you would like to make in the New Zealand thread .. 'After 5 years I miss the UK'.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Well done Denise...sure feels good doesn't it to give in that notice?

....like a black cloud lifted and the new adventure has begun...do wish you and your family all the best!!
Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:53 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old Jul 10th 2010, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DDL
Well friends, it's finished: We turned in our notices here at work this morning!!!!!! Our last day will be 06 Aug. Now there's no more "secrets" and we can fully bask in the excitement about our move back to England.

The news was taken well by our respective supervisors, although both seemed genuinely sad to see us go.

My job is menial, but my husband is the web developer so his absence is going to cause a major disruption. But, as we all know, nobody is indispensable - they will survive.

30 days from today we set sail on the QM2.

Our US health insurance coverage will not expire until 01 September, which means that we will be covered during the 6 days we are on the ship, which is nice to know. Once we set foot upon UK soil, of course, NHS takes over.

Tonight begins a 3-week-end rotation of each of my grandsons spending the night with Neecie (that's what they call me). So tonight, it's supper at Josh's favorite place (McDonald's) followed by a trip to Wal-Mart. He wants some new puzzles, and Neecie will be more than happy to oblige.
Hi Denise glad to see you are both on track with your move, I just got back from Wales, my yearly visit celebrated my mum's 90th. b/day had a great time. The weather was very good only 1 & half days of rain in 3 weeks not bad. Spent some wonderful times with my family, one weekend I went with my brother and 3 of his mates to Yorkshire what a great treat, went on the North Yorkshire Moors railway steam hauled and visited the Heartbeat village. The next day we spent in the city of York have been there before many times before but still enjoy, Oh that wonderful accent they have.

I see you are going on the QM2 just a quick question how much baggage are you allowed to take and in what form. e.g. can it be in boxes or containers as well as suitcases ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.