Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jun 4th 2010, 7:33 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by aes1
That's a good idea, Denise, and I have bookmarked the page for Whitely, you can never tell!!! Do you have any for Dorset or Devon????
Hi Anna (and others) ~

Here are 3 places I use to search for Sheltered Housing by county:
http://www.housingcare.org
http://www.anchor.org.uk
http://www.housing21.co.uk

And the best place to probably start would be your local Council whenever/wherever you eventually decide to move back the UK. (If, at all)
Old Jun 4th 2010, 8:04 pm
DDL

Re: Sheltered Housing

Of course, these places are more the exception than the norm, but have a read!

Barton Manor is a lovely small old manor house on the edge of the village of Nyetimber and is reputedly the oldest inhabited house in England with a Saxon Hall and 12th century chapel. (Guiness Book of Records). The fully serviced apartments are available on five year renewable leases, the monthly costs remain static for the length of the lease and there is an option to purchase. (Bognor Regis, West Sussex) Photo: http://www.housingcare.org/housing-c...s-england.aspx

Danny House offers a stylish alternative to other retirement options. Life in this Grade 1 historic Elizabethan mansion, set in a beautiful location at the foot of the South Downs, offers independence, comfort and security within a community of like-minded people. The house has spacious, high quality appartments created from the original rooms, whilst the main reception rooms have been restored to their original glory for all residents to use. Danny House was acquired by Richard Burrows in April 2004, and will be run as a family business, maintaining the ethos established by the Country Houses Association. (Hassocks, West Sussex) Photo http://www.housingcare.org/housing-c...t-england.aspx
Old Jun 4th 2010, 8:29 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I clicked on the second link and read this sentence:

Some meals available
as

Some males available.
I thought 'wow, they really think of everything.'
Old Jun 4th 2010, 8:36 pm
DDL

Old Jun 4th 2010, 8:43 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I clicked on the second link and read this sentence:

as

I thought 'wow, they really think of everything.'
so thats the 'volunteer' job that DH says he has lined up, the rat
Old Jun 4th 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Amazing ED!!!! See, how everything is falling into place for you now - a new job and soon a new place, which both sound perfect for you. Like I always say, yin and yang, sometimes we have to go through a few hardships, and often more than we think we can handle at the time, to come out the other side in brilliant sunshine where everything is like on the Teletubbies!! (Hate to say, I loved that programme for preschoolers, the laughing sun gets me every time and I see myself as Laa-Laa of course!!!!)

Congrats again!!!! Downhill all the way now, you will soon have hubby and pets with you!!
Well said Anna,
Peigi well done, you deserve every break you get from now on, you are still the inspiration of us all, I am so happy for you,
Anna thanks for all the stories from Malta, we have all learned a lot about that place through your eyes, glad to hear you found a good hairdresser, you know Men are just as fussy with there hair, and we sometimes have to try several hairdressers before we find the right one when we move to a new town,
Rodney.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:02 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
so thats the 'volunteer' job that DH says he has lined up, the rat
Well, at least it'll keep him out from under your feet.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

bowery is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work I go. I think my confidence has been shaken as I was up most of the night worrying about this new job, that and my husband is having surgery today. My old boss in PEI is going to look after my dogs for a few days until he feeling better and a friend is going to drive him in this morning. I think as you get older you worry more about these things and of course, because I was a registered nurse for many years you know of all the things that can happen.

I wish some of you were moving back to Scotland, it would be lovely to meet with people who have been through the same types of experiences and emotions that you have. I find that unless you have walked in our shoes, they really do not understand why you have moved back. I find myself answering the same question over and over again. Oh, well wish me luck and say a prayer for my husband, please.
Hi my husband and i will be moving back to Scotland in the next nine months and get this - we lived in PEI for five years -- thirty years ago . Our son was actually born in Summerside hospital. We can meet up - no problem.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:34 pm
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Good morning everyone. Peigi, best wishes for your husbands continued recovery, you can relax a little bit now. How is the new job? Any workplace is so lucky to have someone like you. My have climbed a few mountains in recent months, my wish for you is that you have an easier journey ahead. Just remember - you conquered those mountains

Barb how are things with you. You must be so tired of applying for jobs that you know you could do with your eyes closed. I'm thinking of you. You are quite right about Canberra, it is not on the list of exciting places, even K. Rudd lives here

DDL thank you for all the updates re Sheltered Accommodation. It's not something I have considered - yet. As Anna mentioned you never know when this might be a viable option and it is good to have all the info. My mother lived in little complex in Brora in the Highlands, it was just lovely. I would totally agree about ageing in the UK as opposed to here in Aust. The Scottish Highlands was the perfect place for my mum to spend her final decade and she lived and died there with dignity and care. I couldn't have asked for more.

Have a lovely weekend dear friends.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

ED

I am so happy for you I knew you would get thru things!! It makes you stronger. Hopefully now the ex manager at Craig Tara will be under the microscope!!
Its all good from here on now girl!! xxx

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good Morning Everyone,

First, let me thank everyone who sent such lovely pm's to me in the last few weeks. The thoughts and wishes from everyone on this thread were most appreciated.

The last few weeks have been very difficult, without going into a lot of detail, I was unfairly let go from my position at Craig Tara. For some reason this sent me into a horrible tail spin that seemed to spiral almost out of control. I could not let my husband know as it would cause him a lot of stress and therefore I felt so isolated and almost as if someone in my life had died. I felt that I was grieving, spent many days in tears most of the time and knew that if I did not do something to get myself out of this way of thinking it could become dire. The lonelyness, oh my goodness the lonelyness was overwelming, you know how they say you can feel lonely in a room full of people, well that certainly was true for me.

I was sending out CV's and did write a very long letter to head office of Bourne-leisure, (Craig Tara) and outlined the verbal abuse that I had been exposed to by a certain manager. When I wrote the letter it was more theraputic than than thinking I would get a response, but I did. I had a meeting with the General Manager and the outcome was that he agreed that I had not been treated fairly and that he would try to find a different position within Craig Tara for me. In the mean time I had applied for a position as Head Housekeeper for the largest Hotel in Ayr and was interviewed for the position last week. Yesterday, I not only recieved a call from not only the Hotel offering me the position but also a call from Craig Tara offering me a position and after carefully deliberation I decided to accept the position at the Hotel. So now I am now again gainfully employed.

Please, forgive me for not writing on this thread but I felt that I did not want to seem like a moaner and really I was just not in the right frame of mind to write. Again thank you for all the wonderful thoughts of support, they are very much appreciated and a great tribute to Tottytrue who saw the need to start this thread.

Chris, hope you have a great flight and arrive safely. Barb sorry to hear that things are hard for you in Australia. Anna, seems like you are having a great time in Malta, I have subscribed to a recruitment agency for position in Malta, so you never know. A great big welcome to all the new people on the thread, Con, sorry, I missed your call and also to hear about your mom. If I have missed anyone, please forgive me. Again, thank you
Old Jun 5th 2010, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

I laugh, I cry, I giggle, I worry, I smile, I frown, I empathize, I feel..... and this is all within minutes of reading the latest postings I am fickle at work, often keeping the page open (but hidden) so the moment I have a spare minute I can greedily see what is posted next.

You girls (and boys) are a treat and I love this thread. I have learnt so much and continue to HOPE that we are continually blessed with the ability to laugh through adversity, the strength to cope with obsticles and setbacks, and a never-empty wine class!
Old Jun 5th 2010, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Shelley 748= Michele
moved to Canada 2002 from Dorset
Married to hubby for 28 years (also from UK)
no kids, just 2 elderly dogs who came with us from UK, both now 13.5 and 12 respectively.
Would like to go back to UK before I am 59 (51 this year)
Old Jun 5th 2010, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Hi all,
Am struggling today. Utterly overwhelmed. Trying to cram so many things in my head I find myself doing the unimportant stuff and forgetting the important stuff. Write myself lists then find I have thrown them away....negative thoughts creeping in...Is this all worth it?

Tickets booked for the 15th July. Five weeks to do 5 million things.

Think I'll go and have a lie down.

Sorry guys, just needed a moan.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bowery
Hi my husband and i will be moving back to Scotland in the next nine months and get this - we lived in PEI for five years -- thirty years ago . Our son was actually born in Summerside hospital. We can meet up - no problem.
Wonderful!!!!. Summerside, nice little town, quite dead in the winter, but really comes alive in summer, but then so does the whole island. Looking forward to meeting.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by salopian
Hi all,
Am struggling today. Utterly overwhelmed. Trying to cram so many things in my head I find myself doing the unimportant stuff and forgetting the important stuff. Write myself lists then find I have thrown them away....negative thoughts creeping in...Is this all worth it?

Tickets booked for the 15th July. Five weeks to do 5 million things.

Think I'll go and have a lie down.

Sorry guys, just needed a moan.
It will all be worth it : I had a very similar day and then decided to read several posts on this site and I felt so much better. Reading about those who have gone before us is so reassuring. Now I think I've looked at all sheltered housing available in the UK. It is very impressive.

I had 5 different lists going today and like you kept losing them.
Tomorrow will be a good good day !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.