Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:20 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Just wanted to throw this out as a viable OPTION for, perhaps, some of us.....

.....Sheltered Housing.

I have been doing some research on Sheltered Housing in the UK and have been in touch, quite regularly, with the UK Sheltered Housing Secretary who is a very nice lady.

There are LOADS of Sheltered Housing schemes across the UK - some nice/some not so nice/some VERY nice; some affordable/some expensive; some with a high presence of involvement/some without; most for ages 60-65+ but SOME for ages 55+.

And each scheme has its own particular level of "involvement" i.e., if you want to keep to yourself, you can; if you want to become involved in the community and its activities, you can do that, too.

In looking online at the various places, I have seen some REALLY GORGEOUS places.

No, I'm not ready for bingo and craft mornings yet, but I bet there are worse places to live than in Sheltered Housing.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:36 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Just wanted to throw this out as a viable OPTION for, perhaps, some of us.....

.....Sheltered Housing.

I have been doing some research on Sheltered Housing in the UK and have been in touch, quite regularly, with the UK Sheltered Housing Secretary who is a very nice lady.

There are LOADS of Sheltered Housing schemes across the UK - some nice/some not so nice/some VERY nice; some affordable/some expensive; some with a high presence of involvement/some without; most for ages 60-65+ but SOME for ages 55+.

And each scheme has its own particular level of "involvement" i.e., if you want to keep to yourself, you can; if you want to become involved in the community and its activities, you can do that, too.

In looking online at the various places, I have seen some REALLY GORGEOUS places.

No, I'm not ready for bingo and craft mornings yet, but I bet there are worse places to live than in Sheltered Housing.
Both of my sisters have been managers at Sheltered Housing Schemes. One Residential manager, one not, they both worked for Anchor Housing Trust. (renting)

When I went back last year I was the manager of something similar but it was for people who had bought their apartments. That company was called Peverel Managment Services Limited, I am not 100% sure but I believe they do manage some rental properties.

Like Denise said there are absolutely loads of these schemes all over the U.K. and a good option for many. The one my sister managed in West Kirby, Wirral was in a great spot and most are built to be within walking distant to town, etc as the residents are getting on, not youngsters like us lot.

Good one Denise.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jun 3rd 2010 at 8:46 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:43 pm
DDL

Thanks, Barb.

This place is my favorite:
http://www.whiteleyvillage.org.uk/

But loads of other cool places.

My husband and I like looking at all options.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Englishmum;8609151]Are you in the Poconos mountains area, Tina? I've often been there for a day out - it's only an hour's drive - and sometimes stayed in motels/hotels for a night or two and gone to Shawnee and Camelback in the ski season (don't really ski anymore though!).

I was on the NJ/PA border a few days ago but further south, having a picnic on the river at the pretty town of Lambertville (NJ) and then walking across the bridge to New Hope (PA); both towns very quaint and touristy with lots of art galleries, quirky shops, restaurants and coffee shops...it reminds me a little of Stratford-Upon-Avon.

I'm further east in NJ, just off the Interstate Rt 78 and Rt24/124 but in a 'Stepford Wife' ie. superficial community.....all my friends are expats, you never see the neighbours around here as no-one goes in their gardens and everyone drives directly into their garages with the automatic doors! When school breaks up soon the town becomes dead as the kids are all packed off to Summer camps for a few weeks, and most of the residents here seem to have vacation homes/weekenders at the Jersey Shore, the Catskills or Adirondacks in Upstate New York. END QUOTE

Actually yes, I am in the Pocono area...never have skiied though!
I do know Lambertville and New Hope, love going down there for a nice day's outing.

So you are off 78/24....I must go near you every time we go to Newark airport. I remember once I was on a plane to UK and sat next to a lovely Englishwoman about my mother's age who lived in Wells (how I envied her!) and was visiting her son? daughter? who lived in Basking Ridge, NJ....can't help wondering!!! (No need to reveal anything you don't want to, of course!).

At a distance from husband....yes many of us on here know about that, especially dear ED/Peigi, but many others too...it is hard but sounds as if you are coping well.

Anna, in an earlier post I was talking to myself by mistake, I meant to say "Anna, I lived in L'Aquila, Abruzzo..." in answer to your question.

ED, lovely to hear about this flat, all does seem to be falling into place, we are all thinking of you..

June and husband, you sound so organized, I am in awe! Paralysis seems to have struck me, I can't even begin to think about sorting out all our stuff...I guess if someone actually wants to buy the house the task will be thrust upon me!

Tina/53/Glos/now PA/
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:51 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Thanks, Barb.

This place is my favorite:
http://www.whiteleyvillage.org.uk/

But loads of other cool places.

My husband and I like looking at all options.
Oooh that looks lovely Denise and handy for London too.

What kind of rent are they charging?
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DDL
I'm not familiar with your particular situation, David, but I can tell you that in my Settlement Visa application, we submitted an Accommodation Statement from my mother-in-love because we will be staying with her for awhile unless we find accommodation before we get there, which is looking unlikely.

Her letter included:
  • That we were welcome to stay with her until we find accommodation
  • Who else currently resides in the house with her
  • How many bedrooms, bathrooms, other rooms are in the house
  • The fact that we would have our own bedroom and bathroom (don't ask why, but that is an important aspect for approval)
  • The fact that she owns it free and clear (Note: ownership not necessary for Visa approval)
She signed the letter and included a recent Council Tax receipt and a copy of something (can't remember what it was) that proves she owns the house free and clear.

Hope this helps!

Denise (USC, age 55, born near Chicago) and Tony (UKC, age 51, born in Chelsea, London)
Met online, married 6 years
Living near Charleston, SC but selling it all (literally) to move back to UK. Soon!
Thanks very much Denise for the info. My sister will be preparing a letter in the next couple of days so I will suggext the Council Tax receipt and maybe a utility bill also.

I see your husband Tony came from Chelsea. I too lived there for 2 years before emigrating to Canada in 1973. It was a pretty exciting time to be living in London and the King's Road was a very colourful place. I wonder if he remembers "The Chelsea Drug Store". It was a pub on the Kings Road where I had a part time evening job. Of course he is a few years younger than myself so I probably did not serve him.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:04 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

[QUOTE=between two worlds;8609644]
Originally Posted by Englishmum
June and husband, you sound so organized, I am in awe! Paralysis seems to have struck me, I can't even begin to think about sorting out all our stuff...I guess if someone actually wants to buy the house the task will be thrust upon me!

Tina/53/Glos/now PA/
We started small and slow, advertised on Craigslist just a couple things to test the waters, picked those items that we thought would be attractive and that we wouldn't need - those golf clubs that I used maybe half doz times before deciding it wasn't my game.

No sorting, we just lifted things out the attic and placed in garage for callers. Then as we got rid of stand-alone things there was less clutter and more space to get to the things that needed some kind of sorting or thinking.

When we sold one thing we posted another.
We went through a thought change, the more we disposed of stuff the more we got into the swing. As things went away we realised, like Denise-DDL, that we were not missing them and so it became easier to shed other items too.

One of last items, the safe, went a few mins ago. We have no $$ left to keep in it anyway!!
Off to the pub now to spend our gains.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:40 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Beedubya
No clue. We don't qualify b/c of our age so I never applied or sought info.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Ah back on line after black box malfunction!

Having coffee (well, tea actually!) with Mrs S yesterday was amazing! We nattered like we had known each other for years - and, more scarily, discovered a one degree of separation connection from each other! Canberra is a very small place. No pics therefore, we like to maintain our secret squirrel status

So, anyone else in Canberra up for coffee (or tea)? It is great to talk to someone who understands just what you are going through.

Love the sound of that "sheltered" accommodation - much as I would love to live in my own home until I drop off the perch, I realize that old age is not for pussies and sometimes we do need someone to come and hook us back onto our zimmer frames LOL
Old Jun 4th 2010, 12:30 am
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Goodmorning everyone, I was going to do the goodmorning America, goodmorning Malta but realized I would sound like a Eurovision Song Contest presenter. I have discovered another thing, since joining this elite forum I have gain 5kgs Why, because I procrastinate about going to the gym, get online and there you all are, I read the news over and over and before you know it it's Oprah time (only joking Quoll). So all is well here is cold, grey Canberra. Will watch Escape to the Country at 8.30pm on 7 HD (I think Channel 62 in Oz) it is great and for a brief hour I pretend I am back home. As I mentioned to a lovely friend recently, I don't want to escape to the country, I want to escape from the country Now, I must go to the gym, really must Have a lovely weekend everyone. Keep those fingers tapping Anna. Peigi, you are on the new adventure I'm thinking of you
Old Jun 4th 2010, 12:41 am
Account Closed

penury is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oooh that looks lovely Denise and handy for London too.

info

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...ered_housing#5

http://www.housingcare.org/elderly-u...d-housing.aspx
Old Jun 4th 2010, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
Goodmorning everyone, I was going to do the goodmorning America, goodmorning Malta but realized I would sound like a Eurovision Song Contest presenter. I have discovered another thing, since joining this elite forum I have gain 5kgs Why, because I procrastinate about going to the gym, get online and there you all are, I read the news over and over and before you know it it's Oprah time (only joking Quoll). So all is well here is cold, grey Canberra. Will watch Escape to the Country at 8.30pm on 7 HD (I think Channel 62 in Oz) it is great and for a brief hour I pretend I am back home. As I mentioned to a lovely friend recently, I don't want to escape to the country, I want to escape from the country Now, I must go to the gym, really must Have a lovely weekend everyone. Keep those fingers tapping Anna. Peigi, you are on the new adventure I'm thinking of you
Yup, off to the gym you go! You have inspired me to join up tomorrow!!!!

Sheesh, Oprah, that is really really bad news
Old Jun 4th 2010, 2:16 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
Will watch Escape to the Country at 8.30pm on 7 HD (I think Channel 62 in Oz) it is great and for a brief hour I pretend I am back home.
I always really like that show ... until the end, when they never buy the damn houses. I'm always screaming 'what is WRONG with you? That's a great house!' How they can walk into a huge old farmhouse kitchen and then not buy the house is beyond me. I prefer Location Location, because at least they usually make an offer!
Old Jun 4th 2010, 3:19 am
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I always really like that show ... until the end, when they never buy the damn houses. I'm always screaming 'what is WRONG with you? That's a great house!' How they can walk into a huge old farmhouse kitchen and then not buy the house is beyond me. I prefer Location Location, because at least they usually make an offer!
Sally I know what you mean. I get so cross with them and wonder how the host of the show puts up with the nonsense. Still I love seeing the houses and the countryside
Old Jun 4th 2010, 3:25 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Oh me too. I'd buy just about any of the houses they show!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.