Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 15th 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by DDL
What I have learned (so far) as my husband (UKC) and I (USC) prepare to move back to the UK:

That no matter where I live - whether it is eight miles away or eight thousand miles away - I love my family immeasurably.

That starting over is expensive.

That meltdowns, second-guessing and tears are normal and to be expected.

That there are no guarantees in life and all we can do is what we think is right at the time.

That in fiction and in life, one can always revise.

That my life is mine to live as I please and not as my children/friends/family/co-workers/etc. think I should live it.

That I am strong, brave and adventurous.

That there are family and friends who are not happy about my decision; let them eat cake.

That there are family and friends who are very happy about my decision; let them eat cake, too - but with me at my going away party!

That most people don't have a clue about the immigration/repatriation process. If they did, maybe they would understand that this isn't just a whim.

That I have a love affair with England - always have, always will.

That stuff is just stuff and once you start sorting through it all, you discover just how little you need.

That Early Birds will show up no matter what your Yard Sale ad says.

That my husband truly is my best friend and this move has opened my eyes to that.

That there are some wonderful, kind-hearted people out there ready to share their knowledge and experiences with me and they are all right here on this thread!
I also have to say Denise that post was really beautiful, and right to the bone,
And all very true, I loved it,
Rodney.
Old May 15th 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Hi Folks,

Having just finally had time to sit down and read some posts I thought I would send an update on our fast moving plans. It is really encouraging to read of everyone's experiences and wonderful advice when one is going through such a life changing experience.

We were not planning on listing our apartment for a few weeks but then some friends approached us and said they would like to buy the place. It is now sold and we will most likely be moving out by August 15th. dependant on their buyers.

Have been busy selling some furniture and making lists of what to take and not take and store and not store etc. We have a place to stay here in Vancouver after we leave our home and get organized etc. for the big move.

Today we have started with the Settlement Visa for my partner. I know I will be asking questions to those who have gone before on the wording on certain questions.

Have been searching the length and width of the UK for B&B businesses and also houses which could be converted to a B&B. The North, the South West and Wales are still the most affordable we have found. Looking for 4-6 rentable rooms with En-suite facilities with private owner's quarters. Of two minds whether to go for a rural property or a seaside property. If anyone sees anything or hears of anything under around 350000 pounds would love to know.
Well back to making lists and form filling.
Have a great weekend everyone wherever you are.
Cheers, David
Old May 15th 2010, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Basil Brush
Last time we caught up I think we'd both decided to stay put until our boys were a bit older so we could move to York without them. I felt so much relief after we made that decision a few weeks ago, but now my OH says he thinks we should have stuck to the original plan and concentrate on getting back to the UK asap with our 16 y/o. He honestly thinks we will not be able to make the break away from him even when he's 19 and that I'm kidding myself if I think I will be able to go through with it. He's probably right as I can't even begin to comprehend how I will feel when it comes time to leave him in Aus - we are a very close family. OH says we will be making a big mistake in waiting for him to reach 19 as we have already spent almost 9 yrs feeling that our lives are incomplete in Aus. Everything he says makes sense and my heart wants to go along with what he thinks, but like you I feel sick at the thought of dragging our son back to a life that he doesn't relate to as he has no real memory of the UK as we left when he was only 7. We've had a couple of trips back there and he thinks that the UK seems like a harsh and unfriendly place (he saw a couple of intimidating groups of teens when we were visiting when he was 13 and I think he is basing the whole of the UK on those experiences). We told him a few weeks ago that we'd decided to stay in Aus til he's older and he was so relieved and now I feel like we will end up going back on our word. I feel sooooo terrible right now - being stuck between a rock & a hard place is truly heart-breaking
If you went now, your 16 yr old could slot into A levels or equivalent - which would make sense education wise. With A levels under his belt they will travel to Aus very well if he decides he wants to go back when he leaves school.

Kids are always going to be hesitant about leaving "their" place and you see it for families going in the other direction as well but at the end of the day, they are the kids and you are the parents.

A 16 year old is going to be scared of leaving, but by the time he has left school or uni he will be gone anyway and probably back to UK which is what many young Aussies do. What he thinks he will hate at 16 he will be searching for at 18 or 21. One of mine went for a "gap year" 8 years ago and hasnt come back - he loves the buzz, the variety, the proximity to Europe and generally the career options which have opened up for him. He would probably have jacked up had we said we were moving when he was 16 (I wish we had though LOL). He says he will return to Australia one day but with his career path and his fiancee, soon to be wife, I seriously doubt it.
Old May 15th 2010, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Chris,
YOU made ME laugh too, very funny, yes I am sure I will have to buy an electric blanket as soon as I arrive in UK, and I know they are very safe these days as you say, any sugestions on what big retail store over there would sale them, maybe Walmart, --- cant think of the name they use over there for Walmart, but I do know that they have one in Portsmouth.
Yes I am just taking everyones advice and doing all the time sensitive things first and then I will gradually start all the other things,
Not quite sure on how long before I leave to put the car up for sale, I am thinking of just selling it at Carmax, they buy your car even if you dont buy one of theres,
But of course I wouldn't get as much for it as if I sold it privately though,
What about craigslist has anyone ever sold a car on there site?
Take care chris,
Rodney.
Rodney

This one is like the one i have in the UK. It's a single overblanket, it heats up very quickly and costs pennies to run. Although it's single it warms up most of a double bed nicely. I prefer an overblanket to an underblanket it seems to keep all th bed cloths warm. It's always best to shop around to get the best price.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...IC+BLANKET.htm

Thats right Rodney just take your time and don't think about changing your flight until you are ready then you wont put any added pressure on yourself. It will all fall into place then you will be home with your mum and all this will be a distant past. The only thing you will have to decide then is what you are having for tea. That time will be here before you know it.

It's hard to say when to sell your car it depends when you can do without one. We go back in 2 1/2 weeks and sold our car yesterday to someone we know. We might have got more if we had advertised it but we were happy not to have that hassle. Also the family we sold it to have had a bit of bad luck over the past few months so we were pleased we could help them. I have heard of a few people selling on craigslist and it all went well. The only thing i would do is have someone with me if anyone came to view.
It is hard to know who to trust all i can say is just follow your gut feeling.

Take care and good luck Chris
Old May 15th 2010, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Originally Posted by HighTide
Hi Folks,

Having just finally had time to sit down and read some posts I thought I would send an update on our fast moving plans. It is really encouraging to read of everyone's experiences and wonderful advice when one is going through such a life changing experience.

We were not planning on listing our apartment for a few weeks but then some friends approached us and said they would like to buy the place. It is now sold and we will most likely be moving out by August 15th. dependant on their buyers.

Have been busy selling some furniture and making lists of what to take and not take and store and not store etc. We have a place to stay here in Vancouver after we leave our home and get organized etc. for the big move.

Today we have started with the Settlement Visa for my partner. I know I will be asking questions to those who have gone before on the wording on certain questions.

Have been searching the length and width of the UK for B&B businesses and also houses which could be converted to a B&B. The North, the South West and Wales are still the most affordable we have found. Looking for 4-6 rentable rooms with En-suite facilities with private owner's quarters. Of two minds whether to go for a rural property or a seaside property. If anyone sees anything or hears of anything under around 350000 pounds would love to know.
Well back to making lists and form filling.
Have a great weekend everyone wherever you are.
Cheers, David

David that is great news i am so pleased for you and your partner, you mut be over the moon. When things fall into place like this you know you are making the right discission. It also gives everyone else such a boost. Good luck in the hunt for your new place, I'm sure you will find the right one when you are ready.

Chris
Old May 15th 2010, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
If you went now, your 16 yr old could slot into A levels or equivalent - which would make sense education wise. With A levels under his belt they will travel to Aus very well if he decides he wants to go back when he leaves school.

Kids are always going to be hesitant about leaving "their" place and you see it for families going in the other direction as well but at the end of the day, they are the kids and you are the parents.

A 16 year old is going to be scared of leaving, but by the time he has left school or uni he will be gone anyway and probably back to UK which is what many young Aussies do. What he thinks he will hate at 16 he will be searching for at 18 or 21. One of mine went for a "gap year" 8 years ago and hasnt come back - he loves the buzz, the variety, the proximity to Europe and generally the career options which have opened up for him. He would probably have jacked up had we said we were moving when he was 16 (I wish we had though LOL). He says he will return to Australia one day but with his career path and his fiancee, soon to be wife, I seriously doubt it.

Great advice, i love this thread
Old May 15th 2010, 9:54 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
Hi Folks,

Wow - that's great! Congratulations on the speedy sale.

I seem to spend half my life looking at UK property listings (which is a bit nuts since I most likely won't be buying anything there for a few years, even if we do move back) so I'll keep you in mind while I'm looking.
Old May 15th 2010, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcmaccallum
Rodney

This one is like the one i have in the UK. It's a single overblanket, it heats up very quickly and costs pennies to run. Although it's single it warms up most of a double bed nicely. I prefer an overblanket to an underblanket it seems to keep all th bed cloths warm. It's always best to shop around to get the best price.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...IC+BLANKET.htm

Thats right Rodney just take your time and don't think about changing your flight until you are ready then you wont put any added pressure on yourself. It will all fall into place then you will be home with your mum and all this will be a distant past. The only thing you will have to decide then is what you are having for tea. That time will be here before you know it.

It's hard to say when to sell your car it depends when you can do without one. We go back in 2 1/2 weeks and sold our car yesterday to someone we know. We might have got more if we had advertised it but we were happy not to have that hassle. Also the family we sold it to have had a bit of bad luck over the past few months so we were pleased we could help them. I have heard of a few people selling on craigslist and it all went well. The only thing i would do is have someone with me if anyone came to view.
It is hard to know who to trust all i can say is just follow your gut feeling.

Take care and good luck Chris
Thanx Chris,
Good advice, and thanks for sending me that link, looks nice and seems perfect for me, My bed in my room at Mums house is a single bed so that will be great, and with all those settings too,

And yes I wont change my flight date until just about everything over here has been taken care of,

And I will sell my car a couple of weeks before I leave,
And I am thinking of giving my two week notice at work a month before I leave so I will not need the car for my last two weeks in US, cause everything will be done by then and all I will have to do then is just relax and if there are any last minute things that I think of that need to be done I will have plenty of time to do them without any stress,
Take care Chris,
Rodney.
Old May 16th 2010, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
What I have learned (so far) as my husband (UKC) and I (USC) prepare to move back to the UK:

That no matter where I live - whether it is eight miles away or eight thousand miles away - I love my family immeasurably.

That starting over is expensive.

That meltdowns, second-guessing and tears are normal and to be expected.

That there are no guarantees in life and all we can do is what we think is right at the time.

That in fiction and in life, one can always revise.

That my life is mine to live as I please and not as my children/friends/family/co-workers/etc. think I should live it.

That I am strong, brave and adventurous.

That there are family and friends who are not happy about my decision; let them eat cake.

That there are family and friends who are very happy about my decision; let them eat cake, too - but with me at my going away party!

That most people don't have a clue about the immigration/repatriation process. If they did, maybe they would understand that this isn't just a whim.

That I have a love affair with England - always have, always will.

That stuff is just stuff and once you start sorting through it all, you discover just how little you need.

That Early Birds will show up no matter what your Yard Sale ad says.

That my husband truly is my best friend and this move has opened my eyes to that.

That there are some wonderful, kind-hearted people out there ready to share their knowledge and experiences with me and they are all right here on this thread!
That seems right to me, well said Denise, I think you speak for most of us.
Old May 16th 2010, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris,
YOU made ME laugh too, very funny, yes I am sure I will have to buy an electric blanket as soon as I arrive in UK, and I know they are very safe these days as you say, any sugestions on what big retail store over there would sale them, maybe Walmart, --- cant think of the name they use over there for Walmart, but I do know that they have one in Portsmouth.
Yes I am just taking everyones advice and doing all the time sensitive things first and then I will gradually start all the other things,
Not quite sure on how long before I leave to put the car up for sale, I am thinking of just selling it at Carmax, they buy your car even if you dont buy one of theres,
But of course I wouldn't get as much for it as if I sold it privately though,
What about craigslist has anyone ever sold a car on there site?
Take care chris,
Rodney.
Rod, many dealers will buy your car, not only car max, Id try the larger dealers, you just need to go the dealer and ask to see the buyer or wholesaler, yes you wont get top price but you will be dealing with people who actually have money, Id try the place you bought it from or any local Hyundai dealer seeing as its a Hyundai, it cant hurt to try.

Yes people buy and sell cars on craigslist but you have to be careful with some people and scams, just my opinion.
Old May 16th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by huyton
Yes, I loved it too. You can keep all your modern ones.
I used to grill lamb chops, mmmmmm
Fish. Chicken.
I loved toast made on it.
Nothing like a piece of english toast, yummmy!!!
Liz
Oh Liz... I used to like toast done on the coal fire, remember toasting forks?
Old May 16th 2010, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Fish, I know the UK is up on everything like you say, but hey what do I know, Im just going on my Mums house in Portsmouth and my sisters house in Plymouth, Mums house though was built in the late 50,s and my Sisters house built in the victorian days not quite sure what year, but both houses have had extensive upgrading,
So are you telling me nowadays Fish that the new houses are actually built with mixer faucets?
Anyway as I said I only go home every say 4 years and spend a few weeks so what do I know
Rodney.
Just knowing they have them makes you feel better doesnt it.
Old May 16th 2010, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh yes he forgot about the rag and bone men. Mind you I do vaguely remember these myself.
Horse and Carts, Rods got a good memory hahahaaaa
Rag n bone men, I still see those when I visit.
Old May 16th 2010, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Hello All!

reporting in again to sign off for a bit. Flying off to Australia tomorrow, God and Volcanoes willing..:

What a wonderful thing for you David that someone wanted to buy your place with no advertizing involved!!..everything fell into place there..Congrats!
It will be wonderful to see where you end up...on the coast or the interior

Fish, Taff, Rod, Denise...you guys are putting it all into place and I love reading your posts

Anna..you sound so happy in Malta!

Update on the drivers licence which was returned in the mail after 3 weeks.
The docs have all been sent off again now with an expired passport (can afford to be without that) so hopefully by the time I get back I will have it

To everyone else...here's wishing your dreams come true!
Old May 16th 2010, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Hello All!

reporting in again to sign off for a bit. Flying off to Australia tomorrow, God and Volcanoes willing..:

What a wonderful thing for you David that someone wanted to buy your place with no advertizing involved!!..everything fell into place there..Congrats!
It will be wonderful to see where you end up...on the coast or the interior

Fish, Taff, Rod, Denise...you guys are putting it all into place and I love reading your posts

Anna..you sound so happy in Malta!

Update on the drivers licence which was returned in the mail after 3 weeks.
The docs have all been sent off again now with an expired passport (can afford to be without that) so hopefully by the time I get back I will have it

To everyone else...here's wishing your dreams come true!
Good Luck... Enjoy yourself...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.