Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 14th 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I was going to say that too. It won't be an adjustment for me as we live in an old house here with radiators. It is possible to set them to go on and off but I have no interest in being cold, so we just keep the thermostat set to the temperature we want and I plan to do the same in the UK.

I think the fact that lots of UK houses are cold is more by choice than necessity. People seem to see utilities as a luxury item!

When I go visit my mother, I need several layers of clothing and even the electric blanket isn't enough. They don't heat half the house because they say it's a waste, so if you want to leave the living room (with the cosy wood-burning stove) to go to the loo, you have to bundle up and just get it over with as fast as you can.

Towards the end of my last stay, I resorted to smuggling a little electric heater into my bedroom so I could warm the room up in the morning before I got up. When I left, I gave mum some money and 'fessed up to what I had done. Even thought it hadn't cost her anything, she got upset about the waste. She felt I had just frittered my money away. Good grief!
Hi Sally, WOW that sounds just like my Mum would think too, waisting electricity by actually having heat in the bathroom and bedrooms, Good Grief is right,
Well to keep the peace I will just wear a nice warm thick sweater while watching TV and buy a nice electric blanket for my bed, I already have the OK from my Mum for that he he he he
Old May 14th 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
All interesting posts about heating. Personally, I love the English radiators, you can sit right up to one and lean against it if you wish (maybe a cushion in between!), and dry the washing on it when it's wet outside and put your nightgown (my yellow one) on it to put on before you go to bed, and of course the heated towel rail in the bathroom for a warm towel when you get out of the shower.... Bliss!! Then there's the hot water bottles, Jasper, you mean you haven't carried yours with you through your life?? I have, and it's a teddy bear cover!!! Very snuggly! But the microwave bears (I have one!) make a good substitute. So all in all, I love UK heating!! As for acclimating to the cold weather, I was in England for three weeks and I was amazed how I didn't feel as cold as I should have considering my thin blood is now used to at least 20, 30 Celsius and higher weather for most of the year in the US. I think I didn't mind the North Sea chills as much because I knew I was no longer just a tourist there!!! Again, all about attitude. If you fight it, you will suffer, if you give in, you adapt! Of course now I have been in the Maltese 12 hour days of warm sunshine since end April, I am wondering if I could ever return to the UK climate Another attitude adjustment would be needed

All in all, Jasper, you will be just fine!!! Thick aran jumpers and dufflecoats (have they come back into fashion?), wooly scarves (I'll knit you one!!!), and you won't notice the cold - you'll be too happy being back home and going on trips with your mum! She really is amazing!!

Malta update: Fairly quiet yesterday. I discovered I could turn left from my flat and end up in a couple of minutes at a different part of the Bay than if I turned right!! That would be because Sliema, where I live, is in the middle!!! Duh!!! Yesterday was fruit/veg delivery day. From my balcony I can see when the truck arrives to deliver to the shop across the street. So off I trotted for my fresh strawberries, cauliflower (the greengrocer kindly takes the outside leaves off for you), fava (broad) beans, marrows (the little Maltese woman told me to boil quickly than sprinkle with Italian olive oil and parsley) and a curly cucumber! Did you know that cucumbers straight from the field, don't necessarily grow straight?? This one was almost bent double!!!

Now to my washing - I take it up on the roof (5th floor) to dry, that's where the washing lines are. The roofs here are all flat so at 7 am yesterday I was up there doing tai chi! No, I didn't fall off

Good idea, Rodney, an open invitation to anyone wishing to stop off in Malta on the way back to the UK!!!

Welcome Liz, sorry about your loss. You will love this thread, it got me through some tough times and I am sure you will find lots of support here.
Hi Anna,
Yes I do remember my duffle coat that I had in England, nice style and very warm too, maybe they have come back in fashion, yes I know that I will be just fine once my blood has thickened and adjusted to the cold, I will find it colder in winter there though then a lot of people on here cause lots of you live in quite cold to say the least places in the US & Canada, with below zero temps and guaranteed snow in winter,
In Las Vegas where I am well you know mild winters and very hot sweltering summers, havent even worn a pullover for many years,
OH and thanx for the offer of knitting me a nice warm scarf Anna, I will pick it up from you when I visit you in Malta,
Keep your wonderful post coming --- Malta sounds lovely, fresh fruits and veggies delivered to your street, WOW that so reminds me of way back when I was a kid in England, we had a lorry that came around the streets and people would just come out and buy there fresh fruits & veggies, and also of course all the milk was delivered to your door and also bread, ---- and also we had another van pulled by horses that would come around the streets about every couple of months or so to sharpen our knives & scissors, and there was a van that came around every so often to scoop up the poop that the horses would leave behind in the roads,
Rodney.
Old May 14th 2010, 11:05 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Keep your wonderful post coming --- Malta sounds lovely, fresh fruits and veggies delivered to your street, WOW that so reminds me of way back when I was a kid in England, we had a lorry that came around the streets and people would just come out and buy there fresh fruits & veggies, and also of course all the milk was delivered to your door and also bread, ---- and also we had another van pulled by horses that would come around the streets about every couple of months or so to sharpen our knives & scissors, and there was a van that came around every so often to scoop up the poop that the horses would leave behind in the roads,
Rodney.
Now you are REALLY giving away your age Rodney!!!! A van pulled by horses with a knife sharpener on board BLIMEY!!
Old May 14th 2010, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Now you are REALLY giving away your age Rodney!!!! A van pulled by horses with a knife sharpener on board BLIMEY!!
Steptoe and Son LOL!!!
Old May 14th 2010, 11:22 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Steptoe and Son LOL!!!
Oh yes he forgot about the rag and bone men. Mind you I do vaguely remember these myself.
Old May 15th 2010, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Hello everyone. I don't know whether I qualify for this thread as I'm only 49 but I just wanted to say I'm in a similar position to a lot of people who post here - returning to the UK later in life after being away for a long time, in my case 19 years in Australia, and I just wanted to thank you all and tell you what an absolute inspiration you all are. When things get tough and I just feel like giving up I just pop on here and read a few posts and my determination to finally return HOME returns. Thanks again, all of you, and I wish everybody the best of luck with their dreams.

Kevin
Old May 15th 2010, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Anna,
Yes I do remember my duffle coat that I had in England, nice style and very warm too, maybe they have come back in fashion, yes I know that I will be just fine once my blood has thickened and adjusted to the cold, I will find it colder in winter there though then a lot of people on here cause lots of you live in quite cold to say the least places in the US & Canada, with below zero temps and guaranteed snow in winter,
In Las Vegas where I am well you know mild winters and very hot sweltering summers, havent even worn a pullover for many years,
OH and thanx for the offer of knitting me a nice warm scarf Anna, I will pick it up from you when I visit you in Malta,
Rodney.
So what colour do you want your scarf, Rodney?? You'll have to send me the wool first though, the Maltese don't seem to knit much, I haven't found any decent wool yet. Probably due to the lack of sheep over here But yes, I can also walk a couple of streets away and get my veggies from the lorry instead of the shop if I want. Fresh bread at the end of the street in another shop, every morning, just like in France, no milk delivery though, have to walk to the supermarket next street over. But the milk seems to be fresher, certainly much more so than in the US. Here I have only seen it in small cartons, no bigger than 1 liter and a shelf life of just a few days. The cliché "the good old days" is often true!!!!! Not sure I would want to clean up after a horse though I do remember my dad taking a shovel out in the car with him in England so he could scoop up horse 'manure' for his garden!!!

Update. I experienced my first rain since arriving in Malta. Yesterday was overcast all day and then we had a shower lasting 5 minutes max. Another one yesterday evening when I was sitting at an outdoor wine bar overlooking the bay - even with rain it is still warm enough to be out. Again, lasted all of 5 minutes. I can see why there is a shortage of water on Malta. This morning is bright and sunny again, though windy up on the roof, so I am keeping a close eye on my washing this time!!! Off to a garden centre with an other expat today, wonder how that will compare with England? Probably all cactuses! I do love Malta so far, but England is always close to my heart, and if I can find a job to bring in some money here so I can stay longterm, I will definitely make sure to recharge my batteries with a trip back over to the UK from time to time. I don't think you can ever pull out the roots from a person completely, that's why we all eventually make our way back to the place where we belong, our birthplace, no matter at what age or for how long, like a homing pigeon or a magnet, we are drawn back.......

Denise, loved your last post. Beautifully said.
Old May 15th 2010, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Location: Lancashire - Vic, Oz - hopefully Yorkshire or Devon
Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tiamobrit1
Call'e, A big thankyou!!! for all that you have written. I am almost 60 with 5 children 15 to 3 yrs (adopted) that would be a miracle . I have no family in the UK now but I miss it so much. Even though I have a nice big house , I too will hardly have anything to go with 10,000 pound if I am lucky. I am going to look into the pet/program thing, sounds great!! All my children were born here in the US, not to me so I am waiting for a new b/cert for the youngest, I am hoping to return 2011, but I am starting the process now and clearing out. My 15 yr old does not want to go , his brother 14 does. The eldest wants to join the milatary when he is 18 so even though thats 3 yrs away , I am still getting ready. What company did you use for your furniture etc? I am going back to York, my home in there was mortgaged with Halifax 20 yrs ago, they are really good and well established. Well I am going to do some baking , once again thanks for great info. tiamobrit1.
Hey there T1,

Was just thinking of you and wondering if you're ok?

Last time we caught up I think we'd both decided to stay put until our boys were a bit older so we could move to York without them. I felt so much relief after we made that decision a few weeks ago, but now my OH says he thinks we should have stuck to the original plan and concentrate on getting back to the UK asap with our 16 y/o. He honestly thinks we will not be able to make the break away from him even when he's 19 and that I'm kidding myself if I think I will be able to go through with it. He's probably right as I can't even begin to comprehend how I will feel when it comes time to leave him in Aus - we are a very close family. OH says we will be making a big mistake in waiting for him to reach 19 as we have already spent almost 9 yrs feeling that our lives are incomplete in Aus. Everything he says makes sense and my heart wants to go along with what he thinks, but like you I feel sick at the thought of dragging our son back to a life that he doesn't relate to as he has no real memory of the UK as we left when he was only 7. We've had a couple of trips back there and he thinks that the UK seems like a harsh and unfriendly place (he saw a couple of intimidating groups of teens when we were visiting when he was 13 and I think he is basing the whole of the UK on those experiences). We told him a few weeks ago that we'd decided to stay in Aus til he's older and he was so relieved and now I feel like we will end up going back on our word. I feel sooooo terrible right now - being stuck between a rock & a hard place is truly heart-breaking

I hope you are having more luck sticking to your decisions than we are T1. Also I was looking into areas in York again and as much as we like the look of Rawcliffe, it seems to be in a high risk flood area according to one of the government environmental websites, so we might have to consider moving further out than that to avoid the rivers that flow through York. I heard that if you live in one of the flood prone areas it takes the value of the house down but the cost of insurance way up....will look into it in more depth though once we are closer to taking the plunge back.

I'm wondering how Brits1 is doing too - it feels like ages since she left and yet it's only 2 weeks! Hope she's having a ball over there!
Old May 15th 2010, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rodney,
Walmart in the UK is called Asda..
cheers...Taffy
Old May 15th 2010, 2:57 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Oh yes he forgot about the rag and bone men. Mind you I do vaguely remember these myself.

It was only in the past year or so that the guy that came around King's Lynn with horse & cart selling samphire stopped operating. He was in his 90's.
Old May 15th 2010, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Basil Brush I assume your son has dual citizenship right? If so can't you still make decision to go to UK now and then when your son is older if he chooses to he can move back to Oz himself..
Old May 15th 2010, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Barb,
Yes it was I think when I was a very wee wee Lad, I was probably around 6 or 7
1951 0r 52, but I still remember it, and I think around the same time fresh fruit & veggies came the same way driven by 2 or 4 horses, I remember we had to step over the horse poop in the road whenever we had to cross the street, most people in those days had bicycles so they zig zagged in between, until the poop collectors would come and scoop it all up road by road,
Now those were the days, the good old days I call them,
Old May 15th 2010, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh yes thanx I forgot about the rag and bone men, and steptoe & Son was one of my favorite shows on TV, so funny,
Old May 15th 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
Hi Rodney,
Walmart in the UK is called Asda..
cheers...Taffy
Oh yes I remember now Asda, thanx Taffy, hey we havent heard from you for a while --- where you been mate?
Old May 15th 2010, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by salopian
Hello everyone. I don't know whether I qualify for this thread as I'm only 49 but I just wanted to say I'm in a similar position to a lot of people who post here - returning to the UK later in life after being away for a long time, in my case 19 years in Australia, and I just wanted to thank you all and tell you what an absolute inspiration you all are. When things get tough and I just feel like giving up I just pop on here and read a few posts and my determination to finally return HOME returns. Thanks again, all of you, and I wish everybody the best of luck with their dreams.

Kevin
Hi Kevin --- hey 49 is close enough mate, chip in with whatever comments you have, as you can see we are a very friendly down to earth lot on this thread, we give each other lots of encouragement and help and advice and sometimes we just make each other feel better whenever we have a down day,
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.