Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 12th 2010, 7:50 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by aes1
Good to see you are finally making that move, Grandma, and what an adventure Hong Kong will be! I haven't been there yet, but I am sure it will be very exciting! Perhaps you can come to Malta before going back to England!!!
Anna, I am very happy that you made the move alone. You are much braver than I. I still can't believe I am actually going to give up my job and be unemployed, and moving off to HK for a few months. Goodness knows what will happen after that. But as my husband said "we are only on this planet for a short time".
I can't believe he is being so adaptable. I have just been away for almost 2 months and here I am off again....
Old May 12th 2010, 8:08 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Trotty True let me add my good wishes in the sale of your home as well.

Our little house has been on the market "For Sale By Owner" for about 5-6 weeks now. Have had some lookers, but no takers. We know what our "bottom line" is and can't really drop the price too much more until that line is reached, so we'll have to make a decision within the coming weeks about bringing in a realtor. Really hate to do that but if we must, we must.

We've got loads of interested parties in our vehicles so they shouldn't be difficult at all to unload.

Having a second Yard Sale on Saturday to get rid of the balance of STUFF that we don't need. Similar to JJ, we are down to 2 easy chairs; a kitchen table/chairs; a tv; our bed; and computers!

We have now mailed back 5 boxes to the UK (via USPS) of clothing and incidentals. Another box or two and that will be it. Everything else we bring with us will be in our suitcases.

Denise
Old May 12th 2010, 8:26 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DDL

Our little house has been on the market "For Sale By Owner" for about 5-6 weeks now. Have had some lookers, but no takers. We know what our "bottom line" is and can't really drop the price too much more until that line is reached, so we'll have to make a decision within the coming weeks about bringing in a realtor. Really hate to do that but if we must, we must.

We've got loads of interested parties in our vehicles so they shouldn't be difficult at all to unload.

Having a second Yard Sale on Saturday to get rid of the balance of STUFF that we don't need. Similar to JJ, we are down to 2 easy chairs; a kitchen table/chairs; a tv; our bed; and computers!

We have now mailed back 5 boxes to the UK (via USPS) of clothing and incidentals. Another box or two and that will be it. Everything else we bring with us will be in our suitcases.

Denise
Denise, make a search for Flat rate brokers in your area, we used one that cost only fixed $2000 more than the FSBO cost - and we got all the proper listings and attention we needed.

yes, disposing of cars is weird, a guy showed up to buy our $30 car ramps and made an offer on the spot for the cars - couldn't let them go yet though, 6 weeks still to use them in and lots of driving around to do.

It' s all an adventure
June
Old May 12th 2010, 8:31 pm
DDL

Cheers June - doing that right now!
Old May 12th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Well we made a decision and have put the house back up for sale. Even if we have to make a loss we cannot wait any longer. Now after taking all my stuff down from the attic I have to de-clutter again. Got one week to get it back into shape but if they are getting this place much cheaper then they can put more work into themselves. Lets hope it sells this time.
I am so very happy to hear you are going for it, wishing you only the best
Old May 12th 2010, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

I have just finished having a very fustrating week of trying to light my oven, could not figure out why the darn thing would not light, until I really looked at it and found out it is electric, the top is gas though, oh well, there goes that idea of sticking my head in the oven
Old May 12th 2010, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

ED How is it going are you feeling any better. What about the women you work with. Just hope things have improved for you.
Old May 12th 2010, 9:38 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Hi Rodney, please don't drive off one of those mountains you are screaming from!!!!!

You are right, it can seem very overwhelming and immensely difficult to motivate yourself to do everything necessary to get out of your adopted country after so many years. BUT I was completely on my own in my decision to move, I had no help at all from the US or the UK end. I did everything myself, no support whether mental, emotional or physical (except for everyone on here and that was a HUGE helpthanks!!), people thought I was crazy wanting to leave and so they left me alone thinnking I wouldn't follow through with my decision - till the very last two weeks before my departure date when friends helped me with a yard sale, drove my car away to sell for me, and my son came 3 days before my flight to drive me to the airport. What motivated me? Well, once I had made the decision to do it and my flight was booked, I kept on thinking of all the reasons I wanted to leave the US, all the negatives about staying there. Each time I doubted or stopped, I would think of another negative, another reason I was going. So if I can do it, a ditsy single female, so can you!!!! As for tying up all the loose ends, just do what you can and forget about the rest. Trust me, once you are out of the country, they will be gone from your mind, not important any more, because a huge weight will have been lifted from your shoulders and you will be having too much fun dancing up and down being back where you belong!! Life is for living, not worrying about the material stuff. Since leaving the US I have regained my balance, my true self, my inner child, things just don't bother me any more like they used to - and I can laugh again. I walk around with a constant smile on my face, even when the TV still isn't working (now my landlord is giving me another one today sometime) and my internet and phone went dead yesterday afternoon (I was told it would be a day or two before being fixed). If that had happened back in the US I would have cried. Here, I think oh well, I will have to stay out all day and explore new shops, new places, there is always mañana..........and lo and behold, once I had thought that, this morning after breakfast, they are working again!! But I am still going to go out for the day So Rodney, and everyone else wondering if they can really do this...............YES YOU CAN - if you stop worrying so much about it!!!
Wonderful positive post Anna. I am just catching up after no Internet for a few days and am loving your posts from Malta.

Glad you found your yellow nightgown too!

When you first used to post and you were worried about selling your house, etc. your posts were more "down" than the last few I have read. You seem sooooo excited and happy and I think it's going to help people who are a little "scared" of what they are doing.

You too Eileen, such a lovely post about the nice places you have visited in the UK. Don't forget to give us a wave from Perth.

Rodney, every day do one little thing and cross it off your list, just one small step nearer towards going home. You could easily be on the plane by July if you get a spring in your step, cross an item off your list and hop on the plane back to your mum and family with a side trip to Malta OH YES!!!!!

Last edited by Beedubya; May 12th 2010 at 10:05 pm.
Old May 12th 2010, 9:44 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good Morning Everyone, Well, I am now living in Ayr in my new flat. My friend and former landlady helped me move my stuff and I was amazed at what I had already accumulated. My friends and I had a good laugh about where I had put all this stuff, since when she would come over she never saw anything out of place. Spent yesterday recuperating from the move, muscles hurt that I did not know I still had. Did find a few needed things at the Charity shops at excellent prices and did invest in new bed and bedding.
I am still trying to figure out the system for heating and hot water, it seems to be beyond my comprehension for some reason and at the moment is a hit and miss thing. The apartment is in one of those 60, 70's concoctions that the councils came up with, huge complexes with many flats. Now many of them are owned but still it kind of reminds me of Russia during that time
The inside of the flat is very nice and very complete, it has been completely repainted and new kitchen put in. I did rearranged the furniture, boxed all the lace doilies, ceramic knic knacs and all the silk flowers as this is definetly not my style. Right now I have a very large chair sitting in my hallway as I can't get the darn legs off it to roll it into my bedroom, oh well I can at least stop for a rest between the living room and the bedroom.

I was watching Britains Gor Talent and listened to a lady by the name of Janey Cutler, who is 80 year old and she can sing with the best of them. I loved her spirit and her attitude towards life. So please go on You Tube Janey Cutler and it will bring up her video, enjoy it will give you a lift. Let me know if you enjoyed it.
Hi Peigi,

So happy to see you settled in your new flat, that's wonderful and hopefully a better job will be on the horizon for you.

Yes the heating takes a while to figure out, well it did for me, it turns out the heaters I had only came on overnight at off peak times and they had some kind of brick in them that retained the heat and then slowly released it over the day, which sounds good in theory but not so good in reality as you have very little control over it, I believe its called Economy 7. Re your hot water, the immersion heater may have a timer on it that needs adjusting? These are both things I never had to deal with in Australia, and though frustrating it's just part of the steep learning curve.

I saw that lady on Youtube yesterday, only for a minute, but what a voice and a great attitude from Janey Cutler.

See IT'S NEVER TOO LATE!!!

Barb

p.s. Peigi, get some Radox Bath Salts (not the liquid) and have a good hot soak, nothing like Radox for untying those knotted muscles and aching joints.

Last edited by Beedubya; May 12th 2010 at 10:06 pm.
Old May 12th 2010, 10:46 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I have just finished having a very fustrating week of trying to light my oven, could not figure out why the darn thing would not light, until I really looked at it and found out it is electric, the top is gas though, oh well, there goes that idea of sticking my head in the oven
so funny!
My mums is the other way round, gas on the bottom electric on the top.
Old May 12th 2010, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

Denise
I hope you don't mind me asking, but how much did the 5 boxes cost by USPS? I am trying to figure out the most economical way to send things back home, but don't want to spend a fortune. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Good luck with the sale of your house
Old May 12th 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL this made me laugh sorry but I had visions of you with a very puzzled face!!
Old May 12th 2010, 11:39 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by tiamobrit1
Call'e, A big thankyou!!! for all that you have written. I am almost 60 with 5 children 15 to 3 yrs (adopted) that would be a miracle . I have no family in the UK now but I miss it so much. Even though I have a nice big house , I too will hardly have anything to go with 10,000 pound if I am lucky. I am going to look into the pet/program thing, sounds great!! All my children were born here in the US, not to me so I am waiting for a new b/cert for the youngest, I am hoping to return 2011, but I am starting the process now and clearing out. My 15 yr old does not want to go , his brother 14 does. The eldest wants to join the milatary when he is 18 so even though thats 3 yrs away , I am still getting ready. What company did you use for your furniture etc? I am going back to York, my home in there was mortgaged with Halifax 20 yrs ago, they are really good and well established. Well I am going to do some baking , once again thanks for great info. tiamobrit1.
Ah beautiful, beautiful York.
Old May 12th 2010, 11:40 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Well we made a decision and have put the house back up for sale. Even if we have to make a loss we cannot wait any longer. Now after taking all my stuff down from the attic I have to de-clutter again. Got one week to get it back into shape but if they are getting this place much cheaper then they can put more work into themselves. Lets hope it sells this time.
Oh good luck TT, hope all goes well for you this time around and you make a killing!!
Old May 13th 2010, 1:18 am
DDL

Originally Posted by Marmalade
I hope you don't mind me asking, but how much did the 5 boxes cost by USPS? I am trying to figure out the most economical way to send things back home, but don't want to spend a fortune. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks. Good luck with the sale of your house
Don't mind you asking at all. Any information we can share in this forum can be helpful for others, hopefully saving people both time and money.

Every situation is different. In our case, we are not bringing any furniture with us and in looking at what we wanted to bring with us, sending via US Mail was the most cost-effective.

Before packing, we sorted through our clothing, shoes, coats, handbags, etc., not once but twice so that we were truly only bringing what was the most appropriate and the most important to us.

Here's what we spent on the last shipment of 18"x20"x18" boxes. We bought our boxes from WalMart. We seal with good quality strapping tape and finish off with "shrink wrap". USPS Form 2976-A is the form used for customs.

55 pounds = $195.75
44 pounds = $162.20
41 pounds = $150.00

So far, everything we have sent has arrived in excellent condition. We sent the boxes to my husband's mum's house and she has been a dear to take the clothes out of the boxes and hang them up for us. The final two boxes that we ship will be filled with special "decorative" items.

In total, we will be spending about $1,000 on shipping our things back to the UK.

Hope this helps!

Denise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.