Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 9th 2010, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Its only hours away and Lara will be getting on that plane. I wish I was going with her, Im so desperate to go back at the moment but saving every penny for the real move at some point.

I felt for Lara having to leave her pets behind, that would have drove me crazy.

Lara I wish you and your family well, I hope your UK plans work out for you.
Old May 9th 2010, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Well everyone's situation will be different, but we're going back with some clothes, a few books, a small box of household bits and bobs, and somewhere between £15,000-£20,000. Once we get there, we'll be starting over from scratch. We are in our 50s.

We've spent the last 2-3 years just hanging on here in the States because we didn't think we had "enough" money to return. In the meantime, my husband's father in London (who longed for our return) died very unexpectedly. If we could do things over, we would have gone back sooner with whatever we could have scrounged up at the time.

As it is now, we're selling everything we have/cashing in everything we have in order to make the move. It's risky and there are no guarantees - but we are going to give it our best shot.

It doesn't seem like a lot of money but lets face it we arent going to get any better off staying here and may lose it all anyway, so its a case of going with what ever you have.

Good Luck to you and your husband, and as others have said "follow your dreams".
Old May 9th 2010, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aes1
Yes, super idea, everyone come visit and we can have a grand reunion!!! Rodney, look at Ryanair prices, I came with them (yes they add on charges for ridiculous things, but still are pretty cheap) and it cost me £26 one way before taxes. If you don't check in baggage you can save money too. That price was from Leeds/Bradford, so I think it would be less from London. Of course it all depends on the season, the prices the following week were more, so you have to check around. I can recommend a nice hostel up the road from me at 30 euros a night with continental breakfast (check on line Comfort Inn Sliema), also there is the Days Inn further down and I think that is the going rate for here. If you want something more upscale and in a different area I am sure there are plenty of choices. And I have 2 spare bedrooms!!!!

Denise, you are right about money. You have to just dive in and make the decision to leave, senseless putting it off, life goes on whether we move or not. There is only this moment to enjoy, everything else is totally beyond our control. As you say, the grandchild was not planned and unexpected. Yes, it is tough for you to choose to leave family behind, but I have found in the past, if I stay in a place for fear of losing my friends/family, I find that they go and move instead of me!!!! Unless we want to continue following our loved ones around the world for the rest of our lives, we don't really have a choice. Always, always, go with your instincts and everything else will fall into place.

As for News from Malta. Yesterday I learned it is not a good idea to leave your washing hanging on the roof overnight. Especially when there is a strong wind blowing. I had left a couple of items hanging because they were not yet dry and when I went back up to retrieve them, one was missing!!!! My new yellow nightgown from M & S (bought before I left the UK) came loose from its clothes pegs and had flown away over the roofs of Malta in the wind I only wish I had seen it go!!! What a sight that must have been!!! Later on I saw my first sunset over the Med. Some of the expats I have met so far and I drove over to the Northwest coast of Malta and watched the sun come down over the water. So beautiful. Today I am catching the bus into Valletta to browse around the Sunday market in the search of a wooden spoon. Hard to find and expensive - 4 euros for one!!! Unfortunately, on an island, everything is imported and so it costs more. So if anyone comes to visit me, I have a long list of similar items to bring with you please!!!

Happy Mothers' Day to everyone!!!
Hello Anna, Ive got to give it you, you are doing a great job of promoting Malta, I dont want to move to Malta but a holiday sure would be nice, I think Rod already has his tickets booked hahahaaaa...
I'm enjoying you day to day reports, it sounds wonderful.
Old May 9th 2010, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
For those who moved back without meanng to be too intrusive - aside from 401k, pension monies etc how much did you have or take in liquid savings to return to UK? I think about doing it but not sure how much would be needed..

As Denise already mentioned, we are all in different circumstances, I can tell from reading that some have plenty of money while others have very little, at the very minimum you really have to figure out what you need to live for many months.
Old May 9th 2010, 11:28 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

For those who moved back without meanng to be too intrusive - aside from 401k, pension monies etc how much did you have or take in liquid savings to return to UK? I think about doing it but not sure how much would be needed..

If you are planning to move back to UK to retire then here is a published article that may scare the pants off you if you are waiting til you have got enough................... but before you read it remember to keep a level head, also the figure they state (unclearly) would include pensions income over retirement..... and it seems slanted to encorage readers to buy annuities.

The article sets the stage .....but of real value and for answers to your question of "how much is enough" then be sure to read the diversity of comments posted under it by real people living in the UK
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/pension..._id=6&ito=1723
Old May 9th 2010, 12:21 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
If you are planning to move back to UK to retire then here is a published article that may scare the pants off you if you are waiting til you have got enough................... but before you read it remember to keep a level head, also the figure they state (unclearly) would include pensions income over retirement..... and it seems slanted to encorage readers to buy annuities.

The article sets the stage .....but of real value and for answers to your question of "how much is enough" then be sure to read the diversity of comments posted under it by real people living in the UK
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/pension..._id=6&ito=1723
There are similar articles in the US all the time.

I don't know very many in the US who could rack up 600K for retirement. My own parents have no where near that saved and are living like kings.
Old May 9th 2010, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

jayde is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DDL
Well, as if my move to England won't be hard enough leaving my 3 grandsons (the twins are 9 and their older brother is 11) - today my son and his wife announced that she is expecting their first child in December!!!!!!!!

Have you ever cried tears of joy and sorrow at the same time?

I now have.

I too can understand, I have been in the USA 5 years and missed 3 unexpected grandchildren, 2 of whom I have yet to meet.

It is sad to miss those early days, and we can only watch and support from where we are. International marriages dont always work how we expect (I thought Id be back before more grandchildren were born) and mostly the positives out weigh anything else, but it is hard to miss these significant events.

PS HAPPY MOTHERS DAY

Last edited by jayde; May 9th 2010 at 12:46 pm. Reason: added ps
Old May 9th 2010, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to all the Mothers even if you are not in the USA have a and enjoy your day

Chris
Old May 9th 2010, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

For those who are still reading my posts........update on the nightgown! It has been returned. I left a note by the post boxes in my building (only 4 flats), and when I came home today, there it was, all neatly folded!!!! Goodness only know how found it, but I am grateful to him/her

As for the quest for the wooden spoons........it continues. Took the bus into Valletta where I hoped to find them in the Sunday morning market, but - I chose the day of the Malta Grand Prix by mistake. No market, just a race of classic cars all day (saw an E type Jag!). Always an adventure here, you never know what to expect next.
Old May 9th 2010, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boodles
Relocateme, do you mean the very first original passport you ever got, or your current one? Elizabeth
Hey Elizabeth ,....I mean the current passport as in providing an original document as opposed to a photocopy...

I found out from our thread that you are supposed to keep all old passports..I have quite a stack now of expired ones but dont have the "old blue" as they call it and that was my very first passport...as well, its quite something to carry all of this extra pcs around the world with you when baggage is at a prime...didn't bring 7 yrs worth of Canadian taxes either...
"get out and walk"..ha ha

Thanks Phil for your thoughts..I am feeling much better now I have learned a few ropes on my own..matters are not so scary now to venture forth in this new world I have chosen for myself ....

I would like to say to anyone who is returning on their own that there will be times when things can be almost overwhelming ..just got to have a time out and then tackle it when the head is clear.
Old May 9th 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello to all the Mothers out there and HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL
Old May 10th 2010, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Hi

Well i wrote a long reply and lost it before i could post it so i will try again.

No i dont feel you are being intrusive at all you are just trying to find out what will be needed for your move. The problem is everyone is different. Having said that it's all down to your own life style. We will be going back in June and although we are lucky enough to have a house in the Uk we will only have a few thousand pounds in cash. We see the money from the house as our pension. It is being let at the moment and we hope to keep it that way so we dont have those bill to pay until we find work. We will be staying with family until we get jobs. I have worked all my life in the UK except for the last 18months and never claimed unemployment benifit but if i have to when we get back i will ( i can't believe i am saying this) but hopefully we will find work before we have to do that. Not that there is anything wrong with claiming, it's just that we are just very independant people.

The one thing i can tell you is you can live on a small amount and have a great life. We have never had huge wages but we have had a great life. We have had our strugles as everyone does. We are not materialistic people and enjoy the simple things in life walking, cycling etc all free pass times, we do like going for meals but pubs do great food and very reasonable. The only thing in the UK that is more expensive than the USA is Petrol, if you shop around, having said that you have to use your car for everything in USA but in the UK you choose when to use it except for work of course if you dont have a public transport route.

I really feel we all need to get together and help people in the first stages of moving back when they have no family help. Just to get settled and established in those difficult first months. I am thinking of ways to help.

No one can tell you what to do but please follow your heart and you wont go wrong.

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST BUT I DO FEEL SO STONGLY FOR ALL THOSE WHO WANT TO RETURN. WE WILL HELP IN ANY WAY WE CAN.

Good luck Chris
Old May 10th 2010, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aes1
For those who are still reading my posts........update on the nightgown! It has been returned. I left a note by the post boxes in my building (only 4 flats), and when I came home today, there it was, all neatly folded!!!! Goodness only know how found it, but I am grateful to him/her

As for the quest for the wooden spoons........it continues. Took the bus into Valletta where I hoped to find them in the Sunday morning market, but - I chose the day of the Malta Grand Prix by mistake. No market, just a race of classic cars all day (saw an E type Jag!). Always an adventure here, you never know what to expect next.
Anna i am reading and loving all your posts.

I am with Rodney aa soon as you said where you were i was on line looking.
Malta is a place i have always wanted to visit and now you are there i want to go even more. I have been looking at hotels and flights in your area like Rodney , they seem very reasonable and the place looks amazing.

Please keep posting, so pleased you got the nightdress back.

Enjoy take care Chris
Old May 10th 2010, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Chris, Thans for your response. It is appreciated.
Old May 10th 2010, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Thank you Relocateme for clearing up my confusion re DL.. Elizabeth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.