Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 2nd 2010, 2:12 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

CONGRATULATIONS, LARA!! How exciting for you all! I've been to North Wales - it's beautiful. And I happen to currently be reading "How Green Was My Valley" which I have really been enjoying.

Well. our [tentative] return date to the UK is early-mid July. I (American) received my Spousal Visa just a week of so ago.

We had the BIG MOVING SALE today. I "advertised" on the local Craiglist and through loads of Friends/Family on Facebook and we had a tremendous turnout. We were very pleased and raked in about $2,600! The house is really empty looking now with no pictures on the walls, and only a couple of chairs in the living room.

My husband was very melancholy last night as we were putting the final touches on everything. We both sat in the living room looking at all the lovely things we had accumulated the past 6 years here in the U.S., most everything purchased because it reminded us of something special, somewhere we had been, or things like that. It isn't easy, this giving everything up. Oh sure, we will again have "things" in the UK, but am almost certain we will never have, materially, what we had here in the US.

These "inter-continental" relationships are not as uncomplicated and "romantic" as they are in the movies. There are hard decisions to be made by one or both people, depending upon where they are: home country/host country. And I must be honest, there are still moments when we wonder if we are doing the right thing.

But then we read the job adverts that say: 25 days holiday + bank holidays - and we feel better about the situation.
Old May 2nd 2010, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone. Its been a while since I posted but I think you are doing fine and this thread does very well. I think I told you all I had a bad tummy bug. Well I didnt know how bad till I ended up in hospital because I just couldnt keep anything in at either end They put me on a drip for a day and then I was sent home but was told not to take anything to control the runs as I needed to get it out of my system. The type of virus I had was the one people get who go on cruises. Hmmm not been near a ship Its taken a while and the odd thing is I am left with a cough. Which I cannot get rid of. Still I feel much better.
I have not been back to read up on everyone I see that Rodney is back and on his way home thankgoodness
ED. Is the new flat near your work.
To everyone else good luck on going home.
Oh I forgot in between being sick I became an American Citizen. I have not told my relatives back home But it does ease the pressure in case I ever need to come back I will just have two passports.
Old May 2nd 2010, 3:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Hello everyone. Its been a while since I posted but I think you are doing fine and this thread does very well. I think I told you all I had a bad tummy bug. Well I didnt know how bad till I ended up in hospital because I just couldnt keep anything in at either end They put me on a drip for a day and then I was sent home but was told not to take anything to control the runs as I needed to get it out of my system. The type of virus I had was the one people get who go on cruises. Hmmm not been near a ship Its taken a while and the odd thing is I am left with a cough. Which I cannot get rid of. Still I feel much better.
I have not been back to read up on everyone I see that Rodney is back and on his way home thankgoodness
Oh I forgot in between being sick I became an American Citizen. I have not told my relatives back home But it does ease the pressure in case I ever need to come back I will just have two passports.
Welcome back...glad you're feeling better.
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back, those kind of bugs can take a lot out of you. So many new viruses around these days it seems and they seem to suddenly appear somewhere they have never been seen before.

The apartment is much closer to where I work, I can walk to the bus station at Ayr and then take the Craig Tara bus to work. I can also get a zone card for £17.00 per week which means I can go on the busses to Prestwick etc, anywhere in the same zone which encompasses quite a large area.
Old May 2nd 2010, 7:25 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Welcome back, those kind of bugs can take a lot out of you. So many new viruses around these days it seems and they seem to suddenly appear somewhere they have never been seen before.

The apartment is much closer to where I work, I can walk to the bus station at Ayr and then take the Craig Tara bus to work. I can also get a zone card for £17.00 per week which means I can go on the busses to Prestwick etc, anywhere in the same zone which encompasses quite a large area.
hey ED are you working at Craig Tara??,, remember my friend i told you about who has a bit of property and prob could've rented you a flat in hamilton, well she also owns a caravan at Craig Tara, it looks like your destined to meet her at some point!!

Don't care wot anybody says i luv Craig Tara!
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Hi good to hear from you and pleased you are on the mend.

congratulations on the citizenship, best not to burn any bridges, at least you will be free to come and go as you please

How is your husband doing?

Take care Chris
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

wingandapray is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Good luck to you and your family. I hope all goes well for you.

Take Care
Thanks for that-all is well so far-the weather abit unsettled-It is like we have NEVER been away-a satisfaction
NOW the hard works begins!!
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hope you have a comfortable flight, 21 hours form Oz huh, much better then when I emigrated to Oz in 1965, like you I was a 10 pound Pom too but an adult almost ---- of 19 years old, but I went alone, I remember the flight was 36 hours with 5 or 6 stops for refueling along the way at different countries, but flying time alone was 24 hours,
Take care and hope you get over your jet lag quickly, good luck on finding accommodation for you and your family and later also on finding work,
keep us all posted as soon as you can, all the best,
Rodney.
Thanks Rodney.... Yes everythin gis going VERY well so far-I know its going to be hard-but it feels right-funny isn't it!
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Hi Rodney,

I've not taken the time to read through any subsequent posts ~ and you probably already know this ~ but the last months/days can get so crazy when planning THE BIG MOVE back so just thought I'd throw out a reminder to you - and everyone going back - to be sure to bring copies of your medical records back to the UK with you.

I'm a cancer survivor and have spent the last few weeks chasing up all my previous doctors, oncologists, surgeons, etc., for copies of my records. So far, they've supplied them to me at no cost which surprised me because they usually try to squeeze every dime they can out of a patient.

Cheers,

Denise
Hi Denise,
Yes I am beginning to realize only too well that this huge move is going to get quite crazy, yesterday I reviewed my list of things that have to be done before I leave listing the most important things first, well I only had 8 things on the list but then I thought more in detail and have added 4 more to a total of 12 things to be done,
Now I read your post and yes I did know that I had to get all medical records in my mind as one of the important things to do --- but did not have it written on my list --- so thank you so much for reminding me, ---- only thing is Oppps that one makes the list total to 13 and thats an unlucky number ---- but I am sure that I will be adding at least one more thing to the list that I have forgotten after I give it some more thought,
So anyway I am going to take those peoples advice on this thread that said just give yourself plenty of time to do everything, and to take one thing at a time and just cross them off the list as you go,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Australians say it too, one of my friends when I was leaving last year to go back to the UK, told me I would be back because Australia was "the greatest country in the world."

My answer to her was..........."In your opinion."

She was quite shocked when I met up with her after returning and I told her that I hadn't really wanted to return to the land of milk and honey.
Australia is a legend in its own mind-pathetic.... just being here in the UK shows how "up its self" it is-what a joke....return no way thats it....however I still have family, thats the problem.
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back Avril.

I had a bug like that three years ago, I didn't finish up in hospital as there was nothing they could do for me, maybe I wasn't as run down as you, it was just a matter of time, it took a week to get over it, very draining.
Germs pass so freely these days, all it takes is a dirty / infected door handle and we touch many of those everyday, I think shopping carts are bad too.

Citizenship, my UK in laws had never mentioned it in 15 years, we went through the process and next time we were in the UK the question came up, I was so surprised, I felt like a traitor but I had my reasons as we all do and explained my situation, its a very personal decesion.
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
CONGRATULATIONS, LARA!! How exciting for you all! I've been to North Wales - it's beautiful. And I happen to currently be reading "How Green Was My Valley" which I have really been enjoying.

Well. our [tentative] return date to the UK is early-mid July. I (American) received my Spousal Visa just a week of so ago.

We had the BIG MOVING SALE today. I "advertised" on the local Craiglist and through loads of Friends/Family on Facebook and we had a tremendous turnout. We were very pleased and raked in about $2,600! The house is really empty looking now with no pictures on the walls, and only a couple of chairs in the living room.

My husband was very melancholy last night as we were putting the final touches on everything. We both sat in the living room looking at all the lovely things we had accumulated the past 6 years here in the U.S., most everything purchased because it reminded us of something special, somewhere we had been, or things like that. It isn't easy, this giving everything up. Oh sure, we will again have "things" in the UK, but am almost certain we will never have, materially, what we had here in the US.

These "inter-continental" relationships are not as uncomplicated and "romantic" as they are in the movies. There are hard decisions to be made by one or both people, depending upon where they are: home country/host country. And I must be honest, there are still moments when we wonder if we are doing the right thing.

But then we read the job adverts that say: 25 days holiday + bank holidays - and we feel better about the situation.
Denise you are so right in everything you say here, You especially being American will have the culture shock to deal with maybe a little more then me and so many others who have been out here for 30 years or more, but I am sure you will quickly get into the swing of things, and yes Im sure everyone has those moments when they are not 100% sure that they are doing the right thing, especially in the last few days or weeks before that plane takes off,
our nerves will be on overdrive,
But yes as you say when you think of the 4 or 5 weeks holidays they get over there in there first year of employment each year plus all those public holidays --- all fully paid, Wow what a deference to our one week vacation after first year of work, and then most companies give you two weeks after you have been there three years and if you compleat a whopping 10 years of service they think there doing you a big favour when they give you a total of 3 weeks vacation, Whoopi !!!!
And Denise I dont know if your Husband has told you this or not but in the UK if you are sick and cant work for a while the company you work for gives you so much percentage of your regular wages and the Government makes up the difference to your full pay check, and this goes on and on for as long as your Doctor says you can return to work, at least thats how it used to be, and I dont think anything has changed in that regard, the company paying there portion of your sick pay is not doing it through the kindness of there heart its simpy the law --- they have to do it,
Oh boy what a difference to our one or two weeks of sick pay each year that our companies give us out here, you see its just another example of how the UK government really believes in looking after there people, and there are so many examples just like that one,
Well Denise it looks like you and me may be leaving at about the same time, I think I should have everything wrapped up by say June and then switch my flight to first week in July, I will have to make the final decision on exact flight date soon cause I dont want Virgin to run out of seats on the time I would like to travel, so maybe I will get that sorted out in the next couple of weeks,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh yes trottytrue Congrats on getting your US citizenship, does feel good dont it,
Sorry to hear that you have been sick, hope the cough goes away quickly,
Take care of yourself,
Rodney.
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wingandapray
Thanks Rodney.... Yes everythin gis going VERY well so far-I know its going to be hard-but it feels right-funny isn't it!
Yes Wing you have hit the nail right on the head, ----- but it feels right !!!
As long as we have that feeling thats half the battle, I have it, and I think everyone who is already over there and others that are getting ready to leave shortly have it too,
Good luck on everything,
Rodney.
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Congrats Trotty!...so glad you are better and the good news on your Citizenship!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.