Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by HighTide
Hello to all in this group. I have been following now for about a month and cannot believe how active this is. If I miss a day there are so many new posts to read. All of them so interesting and everyone with a different story. Those that have moved like Easterndawn (what an inspiration you are) and those just moving now and those like Rodney hoping to as soon as health permits and so many many others.

The forum has given me so much more confidence about making the move back to the UK and I now believe it will really happen.

My story is as follows : I am 57 years old and have been in Canada since I was 21 in 1973. My partner and I (we are a gay couple) who is 53 are hoping to be there by the end of the year. We have both worked in the hospitality industry for most of our working careers and are planning on buying a small B & B or Guest House either in England or Wales. My partner is Canadian so will be applying for a Settlement Visa. We are not at that stage as yet. We will have family in Devon to stay with on arrival in England. Our preference is anywhere in the south as that is where family and friends are located. Devon and Cornwall seem to have more reasonable prices than Sussex, Dorset, Hampshire and Kent. Wales has some interesting properties also and the prices are good.

We have started with the yard sales and preparing our home for selling. Living in Vancouver which although is a great place to live it is time to go back to the UK for reasons already stated by so many others on this forum.

I know I will have tons of questions for others on this site as time goes on .
Thanks for listening.......Cheers, David
Welcome to you David, I hope the plans for you and your partner work out well, the south is definately the place for a BnB, I suppose the weather is nicer down south, myself its South Yorks, Notts or the Derbyshire area for me, Ive lived in all three areas and still love it, dont get me wrong if I had no family in the north Devon and Cornwall would win me over, Cardiff is nice too.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Apr 28th 2010 at 11:23 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:42 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
I love Yorkshire too. My first job out of college was at a Hotel in Swaledale. loved it up there and the people are so friendly.
How funny! Swaledale is exactly where I plan to head if I have my way. We had all our holidays there when I was a kid and I just think it's the most beautiful place I've ever been.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Wow those are Great pics... Thanks for posting them, I must say I love the deep sink, I remember us having one of those in 64 -66 infact that was the only sink we had in our house, I dont expect many to understand that, its a Long Story, I wont bore you.

What about that Ascot water heater, Ive used one of those many times, they were great...

I may have been to this place, Ive been to York a few times, I have to say that Jorvick tour has some funny smells hahahaaaaa.

Thanks again for your help Barb, I hope Oz is treating you right.
Fish n Chips, the great pic that Barb just posted of the dream kitchen with the big sink, now the tall cabinet that you were talking about that green & cream one with the big flap that comes down ---- thats the one you were talking about right? yes My Mum for sure had one of those, it was great and very practical, and a beautiful piece of furniture I think, Wow this pic really brought back memories to me of our old kitchen, thanx Barb,
Now Fish you said about the old ascot water heater, now in our old house we did not have a bathroom only a downstairs small toilet with the old chain you puled to flush,
So our only bath tub was in the kitchen, and above the tub was an ascot and thats how we filled up the tub I remember the water did not come out very fast cause the pressure kind of sucked so it took ages to feel up the tub, and when finished we would drain out the water and wipe it around and then we puled down this table top thing that was hinged to the bath and it covered the whole of the bath and so that was our kitchen table too, we would just pull up the chairs, and I remember Saturdays was always bath nite for everybody he he he he
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Fish n Chips, the great pic that Barb just posted of the dream kitchen with the big sink, now the tall cabinet that you were talking about that green & cream one with the big flap that comes down ---- thats the one you were talking about right? yes My Mum for sure had one of those, it was great and very practical, and a beautiful piece of furniture I think, Wow this pic really brought back memories to me of our old kitchen, thanx Barb,
Now Fish you said about the old ascot water heater, now in our old house we did not have a bathroom only a downstairs small toilet with the old chain you puled to flush,
So our only bath tub was in the kitchen, and above the tub was an ascot and thats how we filled up the tub I remember the water did not come out very fast cause the pressure kind of sucked so it took ages to feel up the tub, and when finished we would drain out the water and wipe it around and then we puled down this table top thing that was hinged to the bath and it covered the whole of the bath and so that was our kitchen table too, we would just pull up the chairs, and I remember Saturdays was always bath nite for everybody he he he he
Wow Rod you are going back some years, but Im not joking when I say in 64-66 we had one sink, no bath or inside toilet, We had a corner shop in a 4 room house, two bedrooms upstairs, one room downstairs was our living room kitchen, our front room was the shop, our toilet wasn't even outside our house, it was in a row with 7 others in someone elses back yard, a bath, we had to go to our in laws who lived close by for one of those.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
My Mum's in the 1950's & mine in the late 1960's were called a Kitchenette. Is this what you mean? When my daughter was 10 months old, she climbed out of her cot one Sunday morning, crawled downstairs & got a loaf of bread out of the down flap, crawled back upstairs to our bedroom and laughingly woke her parents with a slice of bread. There was a trail of sliced bread on every tread of the stairs.

We bought a bed after that. but my neighbours accused us of starving her!!!
Hello GagainPEI.

My wife says her mum called it a Kitchenette also, but its not the name I can remember...

Neighbours, "Starving her" hahahaaaaaa thats cute, Nosey devils... Thanks for your input.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
She's picked up the lingo then

I've lived in three countries and of those three, America is the only one that seems obsessed with being #1. I just don't understand it.

I don't get anyone calling any country 'the greatest country in the world.' Based on what criteria?! For scenery, America has to be right up there. For safety not so much, what with all those gun deaths!

I know it's harmless enough but it really bugs me (especially when most of the people who say it have never even been to another country).

OK, rant over!
Oh Sally, it bugs me too, Ive heard that so many times and its drilled into the kids at my nephews school, and Yes it often comes out of the mouths of people that have never left ther state never mind country.

Never did we ever think that in England, It wasn't promoted in that way, I think its all part of image that the Media pushes here, a form of brainwashing, Im sure some people love it here but its certainly not all of us, thats why it gets under our skin, if the truth were known not every American would agree with it either.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:40 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Hello GagainPEI.

My wife says her mum called it a Kitchenette also, but its not the name I can remember...

Neighbours, "Starving her" hahahaaaaaa thats cute, Nosey devils... Thanks for your input.
Here is another one. Larder cupboard they call it. I think we used to just call ours "the cabinet." We had a Welsh dresser beforehand, so I am a little confused about what we did call it. Ours looked a bit more modern than this one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1950-60s-RETRO...T/200431005634
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mallory
Here is another one. Larder cupboard they call it. I think we used to just call ours "the cabinet." We had a Welsh dresser beforehand, so I am a little confused about what we did call it. Ours looked a bit more modern than this one.

CONGRATULATIONS, Mallory That is the EXACT one we had color and everything, Wowwwww this has blown me away, even the description is right if you compare it to my notes, Woowwww Im simply blown away, the frosted glass and everything, Its not Close its EXACT... Thankyou so much.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:14 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory

Ours was very much like that, if not that one exactly, only I'm sure ours was green, but then my Dad could have painted it I suppose We took it with us when we finally moved to a proper house where we had an upstairs bathroom, with a toilet that was off the porch near the backdoor. better than having to go outside us use the toilet and having to share a bathroom with the upstairs flat even if it was my nan. It was a big old victorian nan and grandad had the middle floor (living kitchen bath and toilet), we had the downstairs (kitchen and living and outdoor loo) and two bedroom on the top floor. She lived that way with other people in the bottom rooms and top bedrooms for many many years. Seems strange now days, to share like that.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Rod you are going back some years, but Im not joking when I say in 64-66 we had one sink, no bath or inside toilet, We had a corner shop in a 4 room house, two bedrooms upstairs, one room downstairs was our living room kitchen, our front room was the shop, our toilet wasn't even outside our house, it was in a row with 7 others in someone elses back yard, a bath, we had to go to our in laws who lived close by for one of those.
OK Fish you got me there, I didn't think that you were kidding about your house of years ago, but it sure makes you think dont it, and we just took it all with a grain of salt didn't we, thats all we knew,
Now I do remember when me & my Sister were kids we would go around and spend the night with our Grandma at her house and they didn't have an inside Loo either theres was in the back garden, not quite sure about the bath, cant remember seeing one though,
But I do remember however that the bedroom that we slept in had (GAS) lights on the walls, two I think one above each bed, and they had to be hand lit, thinking about that now I am wondering if she even had electricity in her house, I would imagine she did but I cant remember seeing any electrical appliances, I have a good memory but I cant remember details like appliances though, Hummm maybe the house was all Gas,
In the morning she would make us both breakfast ---- and it was always Bread & Milk, but she made it a lot different then we made it at home --- she would boil the milk in a big saucepan and cut up a load of stale bread slices into squares and drop them into the now warm milk which she would stir until the bread was all mushy and then dosh it out into bowls, everyone in the house had the same breakfast, even my Grandad, a little sugar it was OK but I preferred the way we made it at home, we just heated the milk in a saucepan and we put the bread squares in a bowl and just poured the milk over the bread,
so it wasn't as mushy ----- Hummm lovely,
And anyone remember --- bread & dripping for (tea time) dinner if we couldn't afford to buy anything else, and when we could afford ---- fried bread which we fried in the bacon grease, after the bacon was cooked and eggs that were basted in a lot of grease, Hmmmm Lovely we were not too food fat conscious in those days were we, and remember the pints of milk we had delivered and the full milk had about a couple of inches of cream at the top of the bottle, and we were all so thin too, and it didn't do us any harm did it,
Rodney.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:32 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

In the morning she would make us both breakfast ---- and it was always Bread & Milk, but she made it a lot different then we made it at home --- she would boil the milk in a big saucepan and cut up a load of stale bread slices into squares and drop them into the now warm milk which she would stir until the bread was all mushy and then dosh it out into bowls, everyone in the house had the same breakfast, even my Grandad, a little sugar it was OK but I preferred the way we made it at home, we just heated the milk in a saucepan and we put the bread squares in a bowl and just poured the milk over the bread,
Rodney.
In Liverpool we called them pobs
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
In Liverpool we called them pobs
Yes I know what Pobs are, my father in law had them everyday for breakfast.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

CONGRATULATIONS, Mallory That is the EXACT one we had color and everything, Wowwwww this has blown me away, even the description is right if you compare it to my notes, Woowwww Im simply blown away, the frosted glass and everything, Its not Close its EXACT... Thankyou so much.
OK glad that Mallory found that for you Fish, but the one that we had was exactly like the one that Barb posted in that pic, same color too, now we also had a Larder but with what I remember is that the larder was a big cubard built into the wall so it kept things like butter and milk & things cool, cause I know Mum & Dad did not have a fridge at that time so we had to buy all our fresh food practically on a daily basis,
Rodney.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

OK Fish you got me there, I didn't think that you were kidding about your house of years ago, but it sure makes you think dont it, and we just took it all with a grain of salt didn't we, thats all we knew,
Now I do remember when me & my Sister were kids we would go around and spend the night with our Grandma at her house and they didn't have an inside Loo either theres was in the back garden, not quite sure about the bath, cant remember seeing one though,
But I do remember however that the bedroom that we slept in had (GAS) lights on the walls, two I think one above each bed, and they had to be hand lit, thinking about that now I am wondering if she even had electricity in her house, I would imagine she did but I cant remember seeing any electrical appliances, I have a good memory but I cant remember details like appliances though, Hummm maybe the house was all Gas,
And anyone remember --- bread & dripping for (tea time) dinner if we couldn't afford to buy anything else, and when we could afford ---- fried bread which we fried in the bacon grease, after the bacon was cooked and eggs that were basted in a lot of grease, Hmmmm Lovely we were not too food fat conscious in those days were we, and remember the pints of milk we had delivered and the full milk had about a couple of inches of cream at the top of the bottle, and we were all so thin too, and it didn't do us any harm did it,
Rodney.
Ive never had the gas light experience, but I still like fried bread every once in a while and dripping cobs too, I know its not good for me, still its a rare treat, and yes even then I feel guilty as I know better. Memories...
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

OK glad that Mallory found that for you Fish, but the one that we had was exactly like the one that Barb posted in that pic, same color too, now we also had a Larder but with what I remember is that the larder was a big cubard built into the wall so it kept things like butter and milk & things cool, cause I know Mum & Dad did not have a fridge at that time so we had to buy all our fresh food practically on a daily basis,
Rodney.
Im with you pal, I know what you are talking about, my Aunties had those too, Barbs pic was of an older larder, still I remember those too. Fascinating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.