Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Honeybun
Why do you wonder if they have calor gas stoves? Would it be a problem or good? Cornwall would be very nice but not much good for jobs, still can visit once established. I think that Bournemouth is a good bet if you would be looking for a job. I guess I will be looking for something part-time (even if its as a checkout chick!!) as trying to live on the Government pension will be very hard.
The reason I wondered about calor gas is that many posts ago on this thread we were remeniscing about holidays in caravans. I posted that I remembered the the smell of the calor gas when my Dad lit the stove and made the tea in the morning...and a few people recalled the same memory so we had a bit of a laugh about it.

You are right about Bournemouth if one needs work..def would find something there ...I believe the govt pension is not enough to pay for housing even

(Trouble with coming back here is your overseas money is now only worth half)
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:52 am
Honeybun

Honeybun will become famous soon enoughHoneybun will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Relocateme
The reason I wondered about calor gas is that many posts ago on this thread we were remeniscing about holidays in caravans. I posted that I remembered the the smell of the calor gas when my Dad lit the stove and made the tea in the morning...and a few people recalled the same memory so we had a bit of a laugh about it.

You are right about Bournemouth if one needs work..def would find something there ...I believe the govt pension is not enough to pay for housing even

(Trouble with coming back here is your overseas money is now only worth half)
Luckily nothing more sinister then, phew. I guess though that unless the gas is piped, it would have to be calour gas. Must have a look and see if says anything about that. Yes its a lovely area as well and we never seem to get the bad weather a lot of other places get, although I believe my daughter was well and truly frozen this last winter. Also a lot of good shops, too much choice.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Guys...

I have a question for you, I know its not moving back to UK related but its something that has been bugging me for some years, I have asked my in laws but nobody can come up with the answer, I'm hoping that someone here may have the answer.

I'm looking for a name to describe a kitchen cabinet we had for many years, a one word name, some people I have spoken with called it a tall boy but that isnt the name I'm looking for, it may have been a generic or slang term, I'm not sure, I will know the name when I hear or read it.

Back in the 50/60s there were some free standing kitchen cabinets, every home seem to have one of these cabinets, I think they were made by a company called Eastman, These cabinets were about six feet tall, and maybe three feet wide, they were usually divided into three sections.

On the bottom were cupboards for storage with painted wooden doors, I think we had tall boxes of cereal in one side and pans in the other.

In the middle section at waist height was a large door that pulled down so you could use it for a worktop, I think the door had a formica type surface inside, it was counter balanced so it was easy to pull down, behind the door on one the right side was a place for bread items, like a built in bread bin, the bread bin door was also a cutting board, there was also a place to store your bread knife.
On the left side was an open storage area for various items including butter dishes and maybe a small shelf for salt, pepper and spices.

In the top section were sliding glass doors ours were made of frosted ribbed glass, I know my mother kept her tea cups plates and glasses in ours.

Ok Guys lets see what you can do, and Thanks Very Much.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:31 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Guys...

I have a question for you, I know its not moving back to UK related but its something that has been bugging me for some years, I have asked my in laws but nobody can come up with the answer, I'm hoping that someone here may have the answer.

I'm looking for a name to describe a kitchen cabinet we had for many years, a one word name, some people I have spoken with called it a tall boy but that isnt the name I'm looking for, it may have been a generic or slang term, I'm not sure, I will know the name when I hear or read it.

Back in the 50/60s there were some free standing kitchen cabinets, every home seem to have one of these cabinets, I think they were made by a company called Eastman, These cabinets were about six feet tall, and maybe three feet wide, they were usually divided into three sections.

On the bottom were cupboards for storage with painted wooden doors, I think we had tall boxes of cereal in one side and pans in the other.

In the middle section at waist height was a large door that pulled down so you could use it for a worktop, I think the door had a formica type surface inside, it was counter balanced so it was easy to pull down, behind the door on one the right side was a place for bread items, like a built in bread bin, the bread bin door was also a cutting board, there was also a place to store your bread knife.
On the left side was an open storage area for various items including butter dishes and maybe a small shelf for salt, pepper and spices.

In the top section were sliding glass doors ours were made of frosted ribbed glass, I know my mother kept her tea cups plates and glasses in ours.

We had one, it was just called a kitchen dresser, I believe.

and also there was the Welsh dresser, which would have cup hooks on it.

http://www.canvasstorehouse.com/pict...s-kitchen.html
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Hello Guys...

Was it this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUPER-1950S-EA...-/180474440473.

this looks like the one you are describing Fish....probably worth something now as well
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Guys...

We used to have one of those when I was a kid too, it was lovely shade of green
I'll have to ask Mum what it was called.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the instant replies, Wowww...

You guys are definately on the right track, the pics were great, I tried to find pics but couldn't so well done...

The name Im looking for isn't dresser, Sorry, Im pretty sure it was a single word, who knows it may have been a slang or local term.

Gosh this stuff plays with my mind.

Do you see how things that used to be everyday words just fall away into no mans land.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We used to have one of those when I was a kid too, it was lovely shade of green
I'll have to ask Mum what it was called.
Ours was light blue and white...
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:08 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I was actually surprised at how easy it sounded to get a visa for your husband.
Actually, I'm the USC so the spouse visa was for me to enter the UK.

We have been married > 4 years and living outside the UK during that time, so the Visa process (as soon as I get there and take/pass the Life in the UK test I can submit my application for ILR) isn't quite so onerous. But I've had a Fiance Visa and a Spousal Visa before, so have dropped loads of dosh on Visas over the years!

I didn't find anything quick and easy about the process here in the US - my green card and my citizenship both took several years and many visits to line up in government offices. Thank goodness I'll never go through that again!
Yes, it was the same for my husband (UKC) - and d*** expensive, too! - but he did eventually obtain US Citizenship which, for us, was essential before any repatriation as it just gives us more options.

And we like options.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:15 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Americans especially seem to believe that they could live anywhere they wanted. Of course they wouldn't, because as they repeatedly tell us, they already live in 'the greatest country in the world.'
That's funny because I literally just finished e-mailing a British friend who said to me that America is 'the greatest country in the world' !!

She is originally from Cornwall. She and her husband have lived in America for years and run a British Shop in Florida. She can't believe that we want to return to the UK.

Different strokes .....
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:22 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Ours was light blue and white...
Ours was light blue and white too! Bet it was the same one. My mum thought she was cats miaow when we got it!
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the instant replies, Wowww...

You guys are definately on the right track, the pics were great, I tried to find pics but couldn't so well done...

The name Im looking for isn't dresser, Sorry, Im pretty sure it was a single word, who knows it may have been a slang or local term.

Gosh this stuff plays with my mind.

Do you see how things that used to be everyday words just fall away into no mans land.
Do you see how things that used to be everyday words just fall away into no mans land,

Yes Fish ---- like the Copper that Mum used to boil all the white sheets in to wash them, she used a very hard large bar of clothes washing soap that she rubbed on the sheets with the help of a skiffel board was it called? or shuffle board? and dont forget the mangle that you put the sheets through to wring all the water out of the clothes ---- you had to feed the sheets through the rollers and turn the handle, and then they were ready to hang on the line in the garden,
the rest of the clothes Mum washed in the big kitchen sink full of water, I think she used that big bar of soap for all the washing,
Im not quite sure if washing machines were invented yet? this was all through the 50,s and at least half way through the 60,s that I remember until I emigrated to Oz, But if they were invented I dont think many people could afford to buy one,
I often think how hard People especially Women had to work in those days, Like my Mum held down a full time Job, and so did my Dad as a carpenter, but Mum would come home from work and she did all the cooking and housework too, I remember my Dad was making 7 pounds a week in those days, and Mum less then that, and when I left school to go to work in 1960 my wages were 2 pounds 10 shillings per week after all taxes & stamp for a 6 day week full time, I was 15 at that time, remember the little brown envelopes we used to get our wages in, (notes and coins) I paid Mum 30 shillings per week for my keep and I had one pound for myself,
Our rent I remember for our 3 bedroom house was 30 shillings per week, or one pound 10 shillings,
Well those were the days alright, what do we call them ---- the good old days Huh, well life was I suppose hard and money was scarce and most people that I knew were poor, but still life was much simpler way back then, and I was fortunate to have very good parents, never spoiled, at times disciplined but not abused, taught right from wrong and so on,
Well you take care,
Rodney.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:35 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
That's funny because I literally just finished e-mailing a British friend who said to me that America is 'the greatest country in the world' !!
She's picked up the lingo then

I've lived in three countries and of those three, America is the only one that seems obsessed with being #1. I just don't understand it.

I don't get anyone calling any country 'the greatest country in the world.' Based on what criteria?! For scenery, America has to be right up there. For safety not so much, what with all those gun deaths!

I know it's harmless enough but it really bugs me (especially when most of the people who say it have never even been to another country).

OK, rant over!
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:42 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Guys...

I can't remember what they're called either other than kitchen cabinets......as Eileen says they are becoming collectible with the younger generation, they love all the 1950's furniture. Personally I think it's a load of old tat LOL!!

When you get home you should visit York and go to the social history museum, very interesting day out, see pics.......
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-dscf2702.jpg  
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:45 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

A kitchen to die for!!
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-dscf2701.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.