Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
When are you moving back? You sound fit to be tied.
I didn't think there was anywhere with people more self loving and superior feeling than the USA Tongue biting is my normal state here.
Oh do I relate to that!!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Just a quick one from me !!!

Here in Cheshire after nightmare moving day!!

Did NOTHING yesterday as my stress levels were through the roof and I really needed to chill out and de-stress.

Off to the hairdressers today to get my foils and haircut, BADLY needed having a few family round tonight who won't be here next week when I go.

Off on the train to York tomorrow - I will stay in a B and B overnight and do some touristy things back on Thursday.

Will have a day out on Friday with my mum.

Saturday/Sunday - my 2 sisters and I are booked into a B and B in Machynlleith (sp??) as I need to get some Welsh fresh air into my lungs

Monday - dont know but do feel this need to fill myself up with as much culture as possible!!

Tuesday evening, depart to Oz and that's if folks!!

Anna, Anna, Anna, I cannot believe that you are now sooo close to coming home. My thoughts will be with you on Wednesday, hey is Middlesborough anywhere near York as that's where I will be until Thursday!! All the VERY VERY best to you and have a safe flight and kiss the ground when you get off the plane LOL!!

Haven't had time to read much as I have been too busy on lastminute.com and trip advisor trying to find reasonable rates for guest houses.

So it's bye from me............for now...........but like Arnie........

I'll be back...................
Barb, thank you so much for your kind words. You now have the worst behind you, now just enjoy yourself in the last few days!!!! Yes, I shall be about one hour north of York, I shall be flying over your head at about 4 pm Thursday afternoon

Trotty true: yes, I will be sure to sign off, I hope to get back on here later to tell you the good news of my passport arriving (Chris, keep crossing everything a while longer please!!).

I think I am finally getting a little bit more excited than worried/frustrated/angry about my departure now. The washer/dryer went last night, stove goes tonight, hopefully fridge in the morning along with bed. That leaves only little bits and pieces (a few plates, outdoors stuff,) and my friend from Greenville is coming back down in a couple of weeks to empty the place entirely. I am hiding the key under a rock!! She drove my car safely up to her place and has already had interest in it, so I am hoping it will sell before the end of this month so I won't have to continue paying insurance or renew tags due end April. The house is another matter. My realtor now wants me to sign a withdrawal form to take it off the market. A friend's hubby who is a real estate attorney thinks that is a good idea and that he may be able to take over power of attorney and tell the lender we want a 'deed in lieu of foreclosure'. This would be done of course at the 11th hour, and if not, then tomorrow afternoon I am literally walking away from the whole mess with no guilty conscience. I have felt enough guilt, worry and panic over this for months now, and any money I might have got back from the sale of my house has long gone. The market has NOT improved here and there is STILL no sign of it doing so. In the end it all boils down to one thing. What is going to give me mental, emotional and physical health? Staying here a few months more, or years more? Or leaving the country? At this age, in my personal circumstances, the answer has to be leave now!!!! It is time for me to stop thinking about everyone else and to take care of myself!

I hope that no one else has the misfortune to get into my situation - too long to go into for those who are new to this thread. But if you do, then please follow your heart. Do what feels right in your gut, not in your head. I can't honestly say like Trottytrue does, that I was ever really homesick or that I am a displaced perennial. More a plant with shallow roots! I actually welcome change and back in 1983, married with two small children, coming to the States was a great adventure. I never ever thought I would be doing what I am doing now. But, years go by, people change, life and s.......happens. Unfortunately, or realistically, at some point along the way I had my rose coloured glasses ripped away from me and I began to see this country with all its true flaws. I still think the US is in its 'teenage' stage, and we parents know what I mean by that And I am ready to get back to a place with the wisdom and tolerance of an aged parent, which would be England and Europe. I think my leaving is just a case of been there, done there, got the t-shirt, now time to move on!!!

But not signing off yet, got to report passport news!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

wingandapray is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aes1
Barb, thank you so much for your kind words. You now have the worst behind you, now just enjoy yourself in the last few days!!!! Yes, I shall be about one hour north of York, I shall be flying over your head at about 4 pm Thursday afternoon

Trotty true: yes, I will be sure to sign off, I hope to get back on here later to tell you the good news of my passport arriving (Chris, keep crossing everything a while longer please!!).

I think I am finally getting a little bit more excited than worried/frustrated/angry about my departure now. The washer/dryer went last night, stove goes tonight, hopefully fridge in the morning along with bed. That leaves only little bits and pieces (a few plates, outdoors stuff,) and my friend from Greenville is coming back down in a couple of weeks to empty the place entirely. I am hiding the key under a rock!! She drove my car safely up to her place and has already had interest in it, so I am hoping it will sell before the end of this month so I won't have to continue paying insurance or renew tags due end April. The house is another matter. My realtor now wants me to sign a withdrawal form to take it off the market. A friend's hubby who is a real estate attorney thinks that is a good idea and that he may be able to take over power of attorney and tell the lender we want a 'deed in lieu of foreclosure'. This would be done of course at the 11th hour, and if not, then tomorrow afternoon I am literally walking away from the whole mess with no guilty conscience. I have felt enough guilt, worry and panic over this for months now, and any money I might have got back from the sale of my house has long gone. The market has NOT improved here and there is STILL no sign of it doing so. In the end it all boils down to one thing. What is going to give me mental, emotional and physical health? Staying here a few months more, or years more? Or leaving the country? At this age, in my personal circumstances, the answer has to be leave now!!!! It is time for me to stop thinking about everyone else and to take care of myself!

I hope that no one else has the misfortune to get into my situation - too long to go into for those who are new to this thread. But if you do, then please follow your heart. Do what feels right in your gut, not in your head. I can't honestly say like Trottytrue does, that I was ever really homesick or that I am a displaced perennial. More a plant with shallow roots! I actually welcome change and back in 1983, married with two small children, coming to the States was a great adventure. I never ever thought I would be doing what I am doing now. But, years go by, people change, life and s.......happens. Unfortunately, or realistically, at some point along the way I had my rose coloured glasses ripped away from me and I began to see this country with all its true flaws. I still think the US is in its 'teenage' stage, and we parents know what I mean by that And I am ready to get back to a place with the wisdom and tolerance of an aged parent, which would be England and Europe. I think my leaving is just a case of been there, done there, got the t-shirt, now time to move on!!!

But not signing off yet, got to report passport news!!!
What is actually wrong with the US-Isn't Obama making any difference?-at least you are still a superpower and I have always looked up to America seeing a did grow up there-My dad was very successful in California in the 60's-I mean it feels abit brash-Is is shallow? Is it like Australia in taht its people are spoilt? Is there a community? Do u know the neighbours in the street?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wingandapray
What is actually wrong with the US-Isn't Obama making any difference?-at least you are still a superpower and I have always looked up to America seeing a did grow up there-My dad was very successful in California in the 60's-I mean it feels abit brash-Is is shallow? Is it like Australia in taht its people are spoilt? Is there a community? Do u know the neighbours in the street?
To answer your questions. From my perspective alone from 26 years of adulthood living here. Yes, it is shallow. Yes, people are spoilt. Community only if you are not an outsider. Only know one neighbour and she is friendly but not social.

Now to the important part of this post. MY PASSPORT HAS ARRIVED!!!!! Get out the champagne!!! This ONLY cost me $300 I am soooooooooo happy and relieved!!!! Thank you to everyone who sent positive energy my way. There are miracles, and the cavalry DOES arrive at the last minute....
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

[QUOTE=aes1;8441645]To answer your questions. From my perspective alone from 26 years of adulthood living here. Yes, it is shallow. Yes, people are spoilt. Community only if you are not an outsider. Only know one neighbour and she is friendly but not social.

Now to the important part of this post. MY PASSPORT HAS ARRIVED!!!!! Get out the champagne!!! This ONLY cost me $300 I am soooooooooo happy and relieved!!!! Thank you to everyone who sent positive energy my way. There are miracles, and the cavalry DOES arrive at the last minute.... [

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS great news. I suppose i will have to go and do some work now i can uncross everything, i am so pleased for you.

Now just go and enjoy your big adventure, i can't wait to read the next chapter of your life.

Chris: thumbsup :
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

have'nt been as involved as I have just come out of hospital in Canada following emergency surgery.

I still want to return to UK but hubby says we have to have a "plan". He has always struggled to get work, so the plan as I see it was that I get a job and then he eventually gets to do something. As you can sense I am a bit fed up. He was the one who went to Uni for 5 years full time in Bournemouth to get a IT degree and has not been able to get any work in his field out here. He is so negative it drives me nuts and I have had enough bluntly.

I love him to bits but I am not about to P*ss my life away any more...

Did you guys have a plan? What is the the situation like in Poole/Bournemouth? Can you get work if you are prepared for example to be a delivery driver, or handyman?

Sorry guys must be post op depression.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britannia2
Just to add to my story a little bit....
My mum and dad divorced years ago so I had very little to do with my father who sadly passed on in 2007. I do have a lot of aunts, uncles and cousins in the U.K though and I still feel very much a part of my original family and we keep in touch via facebook etc.
When I first came out here, I did openly express doubts about being able to handle it for the long term but just about everyone I spoke to urged me to come to Oz and try to make a new life with my wondeerful boyfriend. He had a permanent job at the time but I didn't and so that's why I ended up coming out here. Everyone told me that as I had found my 'Mr Right', everything else would fall into place. I got things like---- 'Wait until you get married then you'll settle"...Once you have a child you'll meet other mums and settle"..."When you start work again you'll settle down"...and so on...
Twenty years down the track and I have a wonderful husband and three gorgeous girls all in their teens but still I have to say that I feel like a square peg in a round hole and I really detest the climate.!!
For me, England is the most beautiful place on earth to live and even the smell of the air when you first get out of Heathrow airport makes me feel more alive than I have ever felt here.
My girls are growing up fast and although in the past my husband and I have discussed moving back to the U.K. ( even for a few years) it's just never got past the "discussion stage" and now it's too late to uproot my girls as they are all enrolled in university or high school courses and are at a crucial stage in their education. That's why I stated earlier that I couldn't just up and leave.
As for mum, she has been turned down by every insurance agent she has tried to get travel cover with and as her heart attacks are all related to blood clots, I doubt she's ever going to be able to come over here permanently or even for another visit.
Last time she was ill, I tried to liase with the medical staff and family members as to her condition but there was an' unspoken resentment' among some people in both groups that I had somehow "abandoned" my mum for selfish reasons to go off in search of the good life. Nothing was directly said but there was a distinct coolness which was unmissable when I was trying to open lines of communication.Anyone else ever had that treatment.....?
Anyway, I have a dream ( as Martin Luther King said ) of getting on a plane someday, preferably with all of my family, and flying back home to the U.K. and never having to set foot in Perth again. If I can't have that, then I'd settle for just owning a little flat in the U.K. so that I could go over there whenever I felt the urge to back home again----even if just for a few months each year.

P.S. To the person who P.M.d me--I can't acces my messages until I have made at least three posts, so please hang in there and I will eventually reply....
Britannia thats quite a story, yes its very difficult for you to leave Oz when your girls are that university age you just cant up and leave,
But the Idea of maybe being able to buy a flat in UK and spending a few months every year over there would be nice at least,
What you say about family members giving you the cold shoulder, yes we all I think at sometime experienced that, ---- you can choose your friends but you cant choose your family,
Rodney.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
Barbara, I'm thinking of you. Keep your spirits up and enjoy your travels on 'home' ground before you fly out. Just remember, you can return for a visit and if you didn't do this trip back to Australia you would be just as torn but for other reasons. It is so hard for you I know but just hold on to the thought that you can return and visit and more than than it will always be home in your heart. We all know how you are feeling at this time. I just read Britannia 2 and thought how alike we all are. Even if you manage to get to a computer in the Terminal drop us a line and we will all be there for you
Hi Barb I second everything Mrs Sully has just said, I could not have said it better, good luck and have a safe journey when you leave,
Rodney.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:52 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shelley748
Hi all

have'nt been as involved as I have just come out of hospital in Canada following emergency surgery.

I still want to return to UK but hubby says we have to have a "plan". He has always struggled to get work, so the plan as I see it was that I get a job and then he eventually gets to do something. As you can sense I am a bit fed up. He was the one who went to Uni for 5 years full time in Bournemouth to get a IT degree and has not been able to get any work in his field out here. He is so negative it drives me nuts and I have had enough bluntly.

I love him to bits but I am not about to P*ss my life away any more...

Did you guys have a plan? What is the the situation like in Poole/Bournemouth? Can you get work if you are prepared for example to be a delivery driver, or handyman?

Sorry guys must be post op depression.
A plan ?? oh yeah, thats the thing that turns to s*** when reality kicks-in.

Our life plan (still evolving) stands as this at this time;
Direction is more important than a plan.
A plan is not a reason for inaction.
A plan does not have to be complete before you get started.
Technical skills in your field are not enough - attitude, confidence are important too + flexibility and willingness.
What you do for income is not as important as being happy.
IF work is what makes someone happy then go where the work is.
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS
Your dreams may not be same as other peoples dreams.

....but sorry to hear that things are difficult for you right now. Hope your ill's soon take a upswing.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wingandapray
I've been in California (with a year back in UK) Since the mid 80's, it is a whole different place than when I arrived, I can imagine it was wonderful in the 60's with unlimited potential. It is very plastic, but I've always felt that, even in the 80's. People only look out for #1, no social conscience, if they are fine, they don't give a dam about anyone, if they are in dire circumstances they think everyone should care. Things are sinking fast, homelessness is rampant and the school are cutting classes and teachers and ours is thinking of cutting a year off to graduate and cutting to a 4 day week. It's sad, it makes me very sad to see, we are surrounded by beautiful empty homes with grass 4 feet tall, which come summer will be a huge fire hazzard, but we don't have the money to fight those fires anymore.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aes1
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Just had a call from a nice man (English!!!) from British Embassy in Washington DC. My passport is being overnight mailed today!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Should get it tomorrow" and I have a tracking #!!!!

Don't get out the champagne just yet.........:finge rscrossed:
Darn good news Anna, hope it does arrive tomorrow and before you have to leave for airport :f ingerscrossed:
And have a good & safe flight and dont forget to keep in touch with us all, we are looking forward to hearing all your news in UK,
Rodney.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I didn't think there was anywhere with people more self loving and superior feeling than the USA Tongue biting is my normal state here.
Thank you for that! Thought I was losing my mind........
I call it 'arrogant ignorance', well, I find it so in SoCal.

Aes1 and Beedubya - Bon voyage! So much admiration for you both.....
Tanto
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Katey70
Thanks for the welcome.

My father decided that perhaps immigrating to Canada would be a good thing for the family. So in January 1970 my mother and some of my sisters immigrated, I did not arrive until June that same year, and after a year I wanted to go back to the UK. However, I could not afford the airfare, so 40 years later I am still here. We are hoping to be back in the UK by Sept/Oct this year, barring any unforseen circumstances, and we will also be retired when we get there
Katey 70
Yes the years sure do go by so quickly dont they, where in UK are you going back to, and are you going to rent a place and maybe later buy a house? or are you going to stay with family? besides your CANADIAN STATE PENSIONS ARE YOU ALSO ENTITLED TO ANY AMOUNT OF UK PENSION WHEN YOU GET BACK THERE?
Rodney.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Rodney Anna has her Brit passport it arrived today she is on cloud nine..

So Anna I'm sooo happy for you all the best..have a safe journey..by thursday morning you'll be smelling those spring flowers..
take care your new adventure is about to begin..

cheers...Taffy
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Just a quick one from me !!!

Here in Cheshire after nightmare moving day!!

Did NOTHING yesterday as my stress levels were through the roof and I really needed to chill out and de-stress.

Off to the hairdressers today to get my foils and haircut, BADLY needed having a few family round tonight who won't be here next week when I go.

Off on the train to York tomorrow - I will stay in a B and B overnight and do some touristy things back on Thursday.

Will have a day out on Friday with my mum.

Saturday/Sunday - my 2 sisters and I are booked into a B and B in Machynlleith (sp??) as I need to get some Welsh fresh air into my lungs

Monday - dont know but do feel this need to fill myself up with as much culture as possible!!

Tuesday evening, depart to Oz and that's if folks!!

Anna, Anna, Anna, I cannot believe that you are now sooo close to coming home. My thoughts will be with you on Wednesday, hey is Middlesborough anywhere near York as that's where I will be until Thursday!! All the VERY VERY best to you and have a safe flight and kiss the ground when you get off the plane LOL!!

Haven't had time to read much as I have been too busy on lastminute.com and trip advisor trying to find reasonable rates for guest houses.

So it's bye from me............for now...........but like Arnie........

I'll be back...................
Hi Barb, thats nice getting some fresh Welsh air before you leave, enjoy your last week in UK and have a safe flight back to Oz and please dont forget all of us on here,
It will be great to hear how you get on over there in Australia,
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.