Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
To all our Irish Friends, "Happy Saint Patricks Day". Spring is definetely on its way here in Scotland. Lambs are in the fileds, daffodils and crocuses are blooming by the road side and the days are getting longer and warmer. There is a softness in the air that was missing back in Canada, it could be just be my imagination though.

Work is extremly busy and the days of the long commute are definetly taking its toll. Did speak with a organization in Ayr that will help me with the deposit of a flat which I will repay monthly. Will meet with them next week when I finally get a day off. So hopefully will move in the next month or so. Also a lady that I work with is in the process of downsizing and has graciously given me a teak table and chairs, and some other odds and ends. Things are definetly looking up.
Hi Ed, yes as you say things seem to be looking up for you, thats good, I really feel for you when you talk about your long commute that is taking its toll on you but it looks like you are taking care of business and as you say could be in a nice flat in Ayr within a month or so and then your commute will be short and you will be far less tired, good luck on the move to Ayr soon,
Rodney.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Taffy, I was talking to a Canadian man the other day who was here visiting Vegas, and he told me that when you retire in Canada at 65 you get two pensions from the Government, one is a state pension which he said you get whether or not you have ever worked at all, and the other is based on your employment history in your life over there,
Is this what you are talking about above? you call them ---- CPP and OAP?
This man here that I was talking to said he gets $1000 from each pension totaling $2,000 per month, so I told him that was a great system they have in Canada and that it was a lot more then we get here in US, ----- so is this correct Taffy?
Congrats on your new UK passport, mine expires in January 2011 which is two months after I return to England ------ so I am not sure yet if I should renew it before I leave in November or just wait and apply for a new UK passport when I get to England, what would you do in my case?
Rodney.
Hello Rodney the Canadian you met was exactly right however if he was collecting 2000 dollars it's more than likely the max. OAP or old age pension is the state pension you qualify for this with a minimum of 10 years as a resident and collect it at 65.... CPP or QPP if you live in Quebec is called canadian pension plan or quebec pension plan and it's totally tied to the number of years you have worked..you actually pay the gov. money out of your pay check and your employer does the same, the number of years you've worked the more money you receive. If you retire early in life you can collect CPP at the age of 60 of course at a reduced rate I think it's reduced 0.5% per month or 6% each year up to 65 to a total of 30%. I think most people collect it early at 60 as you don't know what lies ahead..take the money now and worry about it later..I myself will be collecting the CPP at 60...with regards to your British Passport I would most certainly re-new it prior to going this november..here in Canada they advise you to replace your canadian passport within the last 6 months before the expired date..and as you will be travelling on a one way ticket I think it would be a prudent move....using your UK passport entering the UK gives you "Right of Abode" with no immigration limits and if you desire you can work right away or just enjoy your new life in the UK with your Mum..

cheers...Taffy
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Taffy Duck;8426520]Hello Eileen just wondering if you have signed up for the "My Service Canada Account" I tried to register yesterday but I kept getting an error, it told me that I needed a PAC which is a personal access code. It directed me to another site to apply for the PAC however after many attempts it would not let me finish the appication...so I called Service Canada and talked to a live human...she was very nice and told me my mother's maiden name was not tied in the system to my SIN number...she said I had to go down to the local Service Canada Centre and show them my Canadian citizen card which I did..it took about 45 mins as there was many people in the office, however unlike your experience they were very helpful...when I returned home and re-applied for the PAC it went through without a hitch..now in 5 to 10 bus. days I should get my PAC in the mail...then I should be able to regisiter for the "My Service Canada Account"....the reason I'm applying for this is that you have complete control of your canadian info with respect to CPP and OAP i.e. pension forcasts, CPP and OAP appilcations which you'll be able to do in any country online from your laptop...here is the link to get you started...

I went to the link and applied for the My Service Canada account but before you can apply you need an "Epass"..so tried registering for one of those ..I had forgotten I had one of those about 15yrs ago but did not hang on to the password. Didnt know I needed it for pension stuff since it was for EI payments at that time..Called into an agent who is arranging a pass code to be sent by mail to my house in England so I can view my benefits.

I can apply for the CPP right away if I want

He said to apply for your OApension right after your 64th birthday and you definitely need your date of entry into Canada and that document is mandatory...if you dont have it takes 6 months to replace and it is most certainly $30...so off I go again to Citizenship and immigration
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:21 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Taffy, I was talking to a Canadian man the other day who was here visiting Vegas, and he told me that when you retire in Canada at 65 you get two pensions from the Government, one is a state pension which he said you get whether or not you have ever worked at all, and the other is based on your employment history in your life over there,
This man here that I was talking to said he gets $1000 from each pension totaling $2,000 per month, so I told him that was a great system they have in Canada and that it was a lot more then we get here in US, ----- so is this correct Taffy?
Congrats on your new UK passport, mine expires in January 2011 which is two months after I return to England ------ so I am not sure yet if I should renew it before I leave in November or just wait and apply for a new UK passport when I get to England, what would you do in my case?
Rodney.
The Canadian you met somewhat overstated things. CPP has a maximum of $934.17 at age 65 and as posted by Taffy Duck is based on years of contributions and level of contributions. Someone who had a lower paying job would contribute less and that would be reflected in a lower monthly payout. It is available at 60 provided you are not working. I would suggest that most people take the reduced CPP pension. OAS pays $516.96 monthly at age 65 to everyone in Canada 10 years or more. So maximum collectible is $,1451.13. If the man had a wife collecting OAS then the total would be very close to $2,000.00.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
The Canadian you met somewhat overstated things. CPP has a maximum of $934.17 at age 65 and as posted by Taffy Duck is based on years of contributions and level of contributions. Someone who had a lower paying job would contribute less and that would be reflected in a lower monthly payout. It is available at 60 provided you are not working. I would suggest that most people take the reduced CPP pension. OAS pays $516.96 monthly at age 65 to everyone in Canada 10 years or more. So maximum collectible is $,1451.13. If the man had a wife collecting OAS then the total would be very close to $2,000.00.
Would you suggest that I apply for CPP before I leave Canada at 62 or wait till I am 65 over there?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Relocateme;8427780]
Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
Hello Eileen just wondering if you have signed up for the "My Service Canada Account" I tried to register yesterday but I kept getting an error, it told me that I needed a PAC which is a personal access code. It directed me to another site to apply for the PAC however after many attempts it would not let me finish the appication...so I called Service Canada and talked to a live human...she was very nice and told me my mother's maiden name was not tied in the system to my SIN number...she said I had to go down to the local Service Canada Centre and show them my Canadian citizen card which I did..it took about 45 mins as there was many people in the office, however unlike your experience they were very helpful...when I returned home and re-applied for the PAC it went through without a hitch..now in 5 to 10 bus. days I should get my PAC in the mail...then I should be able to regisiter for the "My Service Canada Account"....the reason I'm applying for this is that you have complete control of your canadian info with respect to CPP and OAP i.e. pension forcasts, CPP and OAP appilcations which you'll be able to do in any country online from your laptop...here is the link to get you started...

I went to the link and applied for the My Service Canada account but before you can apply you need an "Epass"..so tried registering for one of those ..I had forgotten I had one of those about 15yrs ago but did not hang on to the password. Didnt know I needed it for pension stuff since it was for EI payments at that time..Called into an agent who is arranging a pass code to be sent by mail to my house in England so I can view my benefits.

I can apply for the CPP right away if I want

He said to apply for your OApension right after your 64th birthday and you definitely need your date of entry into Canada and that document is mandatory...if you dont have it takes 6 months to replace and it is most certainly $30...so off I go again to Citizenship and immigration
Hi Eileen I'm glad you managed to get the agent to send you the pass code to your UK address I think this is the same code I'm being sent to my house I guess they have to mail it for security reasons. "Proof of Date of Entry" is that the large pink imigration form that is stapled in my old blue British Passport ? If it is I'm glad I kept it...take care and I hope you relax soon..

cheers...Taffy
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:41 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Would you suggest that I apply for CPP before I leave Canada at 62 or wait till I am 65 over there?
It is always recommended that, unless you would have a sizeable retirement income, you should collect the CPP at the earliest opportunity. At 62 you would be discounted by 1.5% (3 x 0.5%)
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Taffy Duck;8427870]
Hi Eileen I'm glad you managed to get the agent to send you the pass code to your UK address I think this is the same code I'm being sent to my house I guess they have to mail it for security reasons. "Proof of Date of Entry" is that the large pink imigration form that is stapled in my old blue British Passport ? If it is I'm glad I kept it...take care and I hope you relax soon..

cheers...Taffy
Yes pass code is same thing...takes 10days apparently so hence having it sent to UK

Yes Proof of entry it is the Pink Landed Immigrant doc that you kept and heaven only knows what I did with mine..have a look to see if it says on there ...Keep This..didnt keep old blue either...wont relax now till I get that document..wonder if I can apply online for it save going down there in traffic
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
It is always recommended that, unless you would have a sizeable retirement income, you should collect the CPP at the earliest opportunity. At 62 you would be discounted by 1.5% (3 x 0.5%)
Is this another online thing or can you do this in person?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Rodney.
Rodney, I would wait and get your passport renewed in the UK, should be much easier there. Still waiting on mine coming, getting nervous........
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by trottytrue
[http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/art...come-home.html

I found the above article in the Daily Mail. Very Interesting. If you scroll down to the bottom it gives a link to another website giving information on the pound.

Britannia2....I really do understand your situation I was an only daughter I did have 3 brothers but my Mother always thought that I would be there for her. I like many on here never thought of the concequences of moving to another country and leaving our family behind. My Dad had died. I am afraid I never got over the regret of leaving her and not being there for her when she needed me. Having children means you are in a situation where you cannot always do what you would like to do or afford it. My Mother would not think of leaving England perhaps your Mum might.
Each one of us has to make the decision which is right for us and we just have to live with what happens in the future. If you have children I presume they are teenagers so they would not want to go back to the UK. At least now communications are much better but my Mum did not have a computer and would not have known how to use one even if I had bought one for her.

I wish you all the best . The problem is going home for a holiday is fine but you still have to leave them behind and in the end the only alternative for them is a nursing home.
I read the Daily Mail article, thanks for posting. Very interesting and an even higher percentage of expats returning home. Again I can only say to those thinking of returning - do it now!!! Don't delay, unless you can afford to for at least five years. Before that time, I personally don't see much chance of things improving.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Relocateme;8427927]

Yes pass code is same thing...takes 10days apparently so hence having it sent to UK

Yes Proof of entry it is the Pink Landed Immigrant doc that you kept and heaven only knows what I did with mine..have a look to see if it says on there ...Keep This..didnt keep old blue either...wont relax now till I get that document..wonder if I can apply online for it save going down there in traffic
Thanks Eileen..Auld Yin quoted if you collect CPP it would be reduced by 0.5% x 3 =1.5%..this is not true what Auld Yin meant to say was 0.5% per month which equates to 0.5% x 36 months = 18% not 1.5%...I think you'll be able to apply on line in the UK especially if you have the "My Service Canada Account" setup. Don't forget every month you delay you will save you an extra 0.5%...myself I intend to collect it as soon as I reach 60...

cheers...Taffy
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:47 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=Taffy Duck;8429322]
Thanks Eileen..Auld Yin quoted if you collect CPP it would be reduced by 0.5% x 3 =1.5%..this is not true what Auld Yin meant to say was 0.5% per month which equates to 0.5% x 36 months = 18% not 1.5%...I think you'll be able to apply on line in the UK especially if you have the "My Service Canada Account" setup. Don't forget every month you delay you will save you an extra 0.5%...myself I intend to collect it as soon as I reach 60...

cheers...Taffy
Yes, of course you're correct. My math is not what it used to be. I see no reason why you can't do it online. Many parts of Canada do not have access to a Service Canada office. I did mine and my wife's online with no problem.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Auld Yin;8429669]

Yes, of course you're correct. My math is not what it used to be. I see no reason why you can't do it online. Many parts of Canada do not have access to a Service Canada office. I did mine and my wife's online with no problem.
Hello Auld Yin..I agree with you I think Eileen will have no problem doing it online even in the UK...

cheers...Taffy

Last edited by Taffy Duck; Mar 18th 2010 at 2:33 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 18th 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Everyone, just heard my shipment is arriving at my sister's house in Middlesbrough on Monday. Three days before I get there!!! So that will be fun, seeing what I packed and asking myself why did I pack this and not that. Meanwhile, still trying to sell house, still trying to sell car, but furniture all gone except for my bed which will go tomorrow. Glad I took these last three days off work, I am knee deep in bags and boxes for consignment. My friend is taking them back up to Greenville (3 hour drive) to sell for me. Had a porch full picked up by the Kidney Foundation for charity this morning, so things are moving on well. Given up worrying about money/taxes, etc, and having faith that everything will be OK in the end. It usually is!! Hoping to take the last few days here to relax and walk on the beach, say good bye to the dolphins. Then looking forward to seeing the sheep and heather on the Yorkshire moors!!! And where is that nice room temperature Guiness!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.