Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello everyone, I have a couple of concerns and if there is anyone out there that maybe has any knowledge on this then I would be very grateful for any advice, I am a 64 year old man and have been living in the USA for 32 years, but now wish to move back to England permanently to be with my family, but I want to get my US citizenship first, but I have a few issues that are worrying me, you see way back in 1979 after I had only been here for two years I was caught smoking a joint in Reno, arrested, went before magistrate next day and pleaded no no contende and was fined just $100 and no jail time, but it is a drug arrest and I am worried that if I apply for citizenship they may take away my long standing green card status and deport me, although my record has been spotless since 1979, People tell me not to worry and just apply now as that offence was a very long time ago and all they are looking for is the last 5 years of good moral character, I'm not a bad person just made a stupid mistake when I was young,
The second and last concern is that I do owe the IRS 5 years of back taxes in the past, but for the last 4 years all my taxes have been paid in full, and I have always filed my taxes on time each year, I am currently in the currently non collectable status,
I would appreciate any advice that anyone could give me, Thanks and kind regards, Rodney.
Answer to Rodney:
If you went before a magistrate only for you simple possession issue which resulted a fine of $100.. it sounds as though its a misdemeanor...however its still a drug charge and as well in the US .

I would want to ascertain if there is anything on my record before I apply for my US Citizehship...I would go to my local police stn and apply for a criminal record check for employment...anyone is allowed this (for instance you might want to work in a governemnt facility and must provide same as condition of employment)...here it costs $10 payable with post office money order .cash, cheques and credit card not accepted..

they give you a paper called "Criminal Record check for employment ..and it has several boxes on it indicating what they have on record for you...yes there is something..no there is nothing or maybe there might be

The yes and no boxes speak for themselves..if its a yes then you need to write to have your record expunged since it is so old if it's the maybe box then the officer at the desk will tell you the nature of the notation
You may have been photographed, fingerprinted at one time or whatever.
So then they must explain to you what you have to do to file for exoneration
which may often include simply a letter to the authorities requesting that these extant records be removed remember to phone and ask for the time frame since you are proposing to travel.

Once you have your clear record in place your all set to go

There are slso companies who list themselves on the web who will perform this service for you if you dont feel like doing it yourself..they call themselves "Pardon Services" and the like

As for the IRS its a bit sticky owing them since here they say nothing to you but just keep compounding the original amount...not good.

Phone in for a clarification and written statement of your account so you have something to show for Citizenship

Just my 10cents worth
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by between two worlds
This is a very interesting forum. I'm almost 53, married to an American for nearly 30 years, and have lived in the US since 1983. Though I've made many friends here, raised children here, and generally adjusted well, I have always wanted very badly to go home. As someone here has said, the homesickness just seems to get worse as one grows older.

I've been very lucky, having been able to go to England for short stays a couple of times each year, and about five years ago we bought an apartment--oops, flat!--there, in my hometown. So we have a base to stay when we visit. But still that isn't quite enough...

However, now my children are in their twenties and they will probably stay in the States. It's been pointed out that your children can be hundreds of miles away in this big country, so living in England isn't that different, and that's true; plus there is skype; but I still feel I will want to come back and see them regularly, especially if/when there are grandchildren!

So I envision some sort of life going back and forth from one to another of these worlds I'm torn between. Which I guess will be difficult, not to mention expensive! My husband (57) is still working, but looking to scale back, change direction in about a year or so....then maybe we can start looking to spend more time in UK, months at a time I hope.

A few questions:
--I know all about living far from loved ones, obviously--mother and siblings all in UK. But one's own children? Has anyone who has moved back leaving children/grandchildren in Us or Canada got insight here?
--Am I right that green card status is lost if you don't return to USA every eleven months?
--I guess you can't be simultaneously an official resident (not talking about permanent residence here but residence for tax, health care etc purposes) of both countries. What are the minimum/maximum number of months per year you must live in UK to be considered a resident?
That's enough for now, but thank you all for these discussions. It is good to know that one isn't alone with this gnawing homesickness and with the conflicts and sense of not being sure where "home" is.
Between Two Worlds

I can help you with this part

If you have your British Passport handy you will look inside to the page where it shows your picture. There is a designation like "GBR" or similar next to the picture which means GBResident... I

If you have this and your passport indicates "Right of Abode" in the blurb, then you are at will in Her Majesties Realm which gives you the right to live, work and appreciate all of the care and services which are provided to her regular subjects..

There is no restriction such as minimum stay to get health benefits and the like..To affirm the nature and intrinsic values of your birthright you need only to go to the British Government Website and read all about this very subject as well as the different designations.

You may travel at your leisure within the EU and work there if you so wish.
hope this helps.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:40 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Between Two Worlds

I can help you with this part

If you have your British Passport handy you will look inside to the page where it shows your picture. There is a designation like "GBR" or similar next to the picture which means GBResident... I

If you have this and your passport indicates "Right of Abode" in the blurb, then you are at will in Her Majesties Realm which gives you the right to live, work and appreciate all of the care and services which are provided to her regular subjects..

There is no restriction such as minimum stay to get health benefits and the like..To affirm the nature and intrinsic values of your birthright you need only to go to the British Government Website and read all about this very subject as well as the different designations.

You may travel at your leisure within the EU and work there if you so wish.
hope this helps.
Just to clarify, routine NHS treatment is only available to those who are permanent residents of the UK. This has come up countless times before.

Having a UK passport doesn't make a person a GB resident. Living in GB on a permanent basis makes you a GB resident. Short visits don't count.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

I am a new nanny, again, ninth grandbaby was born this morning. Our newest angel is a Baby boy 7lbs, 20 inches long, Grayson Cass. Everyone is health and extremely happy.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Everyone,

I am a new nanny, again, ninth grandbaby was born this morning. Our newest angel is a Baby boy 7lbs, 20 inches long, Grayson Cass. Everyone is health and extremely happy.
congrats to grandparents, parents and, of course new baby, for a wonderful start to life in this world!!!!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:57 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Answer to Rodney:
.........Once you have your clear record in place your all set to go

There are slso companies who list themselves on the web who will perform this service for you if you dont feel like doing it yourself..they call themselves "Pardon Services" and the like

Just my 10cents worth
Getting his record 'cleared' is pointless - he still has to declare it when he applies for naturalization. Since the conviction was for drugs, this is not a DIY project - he needs a lawyer.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

............few questions:
--I know all about living far from loved ones, obviously--mother and siblings all in UK. But one's own children? Has anyone who has moved back leaving children/grandchildren in Us or Canada got insight here?
--Am I right that green card status is lost if you don't return to USA every eleven months?
--I guess you can't be simultaneously an official resident (not talking about permanent residence here but residence for tax, health care etc purposes) of both countries. What are the minimum/maximum number of months per year you must live in UK to be considered a resident?
That's enough for now, but thank you all for these discussions. It is good to know that one isn't alone with this gnawing homesickness and with the conflicts and sense of not being sure where "home" is.
'Visiting' the US every 11 months is not going to preserve your LPR status - to do what you are envisaging you really have to become a US citizen.

As far as I know, you become resident in the UK for tax purposes if you spend more than 90 days in any given tax year in the UK. Also, you cannot use the NHS if your are not permanently residing in the UK. Then there is the question of how one would manage for healthcare on prolonged visits to the US.

So to do what you are envisaging, you really have to become a USC and then probably make the UK your permanent home. But you also need to talk to an accountant who is fully conversant about the tax laws of both countries.

It's all rather complicated. I am hoping to do what you are planning to do as well, though not for a few years yet. It would be nice to hear from someone who has actually done this.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

alba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

Congratulations grandmom!
I wish health and happiness to all of you always.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Everyone,

Happy news...congrats and best wishes to all
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all who have replied so far.

I knew the passport entitled me to be in UK, but also that I need to be a "permanent resident" before being eligible for health care etc. I wondered how long you have to be there to be considered a perm. resident, and the answer Elvira gives, if I understand correctly, is 90 days out of the tax year (and I would assume not in a hotel, but paying bills, council tax, utilities etc).

Re green card status in US--I thought you had to come back within eleven months to retain this status. Elvira says not just "visits"--so does anyone know how long the sojourns must be to keep one's green card active?
(I can probably look this up on US govt website.)
My husband is a US citizen and I would be coming back with him, and we would continue to declare our income, pensions or whatever to the IRS even when in UK, as we are legally bound to do,as I understand it. So we would not just be tourists in US.

Re becoming a citizen: I will not do this because of the wording of the citizenship oath. It requires you to give up your allegiance to any other country. Although I know they do not force you to throw away UK passport and do not check up on this in any way, I do not feel comfortable swearing such an oath when I would be living at least half the year in UK and claiming benefits of being a UK subject!

I think it looks as if we would reverse our current status--US residents who frequently stay in UK--and become UK permanent residents who frequently stay in US. Husband would retain his US citizenship of course and I would retain green card status if possible.

The suggestion to find a tax lawyer conversant with this type of situation is a good one.

Well, those are the practicalities--for many answers, I know there are government info sites.
But this forum is especially helpful on the emotional front, and as I said before, it does me a world of good to hear these may other voices of people feeling the same as me.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Re green card status in US--I thought you had to come back within eleven months to retain this status. Elvira says not just "visits"--so does anyone know how long the sojourns must be to keep one's green card active?
My husband is a US citizen and I would be coming back with him, and we would continue to declare our income, pensions or whatever to the IRS even when in UK, as we are legally bound to do,as I understand it. So we would not just be tourists in US.
You are confusing citizenship with residence. If you came back to the US for limited visits, neither of you would classify as residents, even if both of you were US citizens.

Re becoming a citizen: I will not do this because of the wording of the citizenship oath. It requires you to give up your allegiance to any other country. Although I know they do not force you to throw away UK passport and do not check up on this in any way, I do not feel comfortable swearing such an oath when I would be living at least half the year in UK and claiming benefits of being a UK subject!
Again, I think you are confusing residence with citizenship. Most NHS services are availableto those that are "habitually resident" - it says nothing about citizenship. For example, your US-citizen husband would be eligible for NHS services if resident in the UK, just as on the flip side you currently aren't despite being a British citizen. Would you decline Medicare benefits because you are not a US citizen
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all who have replied so far.

I knew the passport entitled me to be in UK, but also that I need to be a "permanent resident" before being eligible for health care etc. I wondered how long you have to be there to be considered a perm. resident, and the answer Elvira gives, if I understand correctly, is 90 days out of the tax year (and I would assume not in a hotel, but paying bills, council tax, utilities etc).

I think it looks as if we would reverse our current status--US residents who frequently stay in UK--and become UK permanent residents who frequently stay in US. Husband would retain his US citizenship of course and I would retain green card status if possible.

The suggestion to find a tax lawyer conversant with this type of situation is a good one.

Well, those are the practicalities--for many answers, I know there are government info sites.
But this forum is especially helpful on the emotional front, and as I said before, it does me a world of good to hear these may other voices of people feeling the same as me.
You seem to have got the wrong idea on several issues.

You become a UK resident as soon as you land in the UK with the intent to reside. If you spend over 90 days per year in the UK you are liable to for UK taxes...this does not make you a UK resident.

If you become a resident of the UK...you cannot also be a US resident. It's your choice...you are a resident of one and a visitor of the other.

I had the same struggle as you about becoming a USC...there were parts of the oath I didn't say for that very reason.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:48 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You seem to have got the wrong idea on several issues.

You become a UK resident as soon as you land in the UK with the intent to reside. If you spend over 90 days per year in the UK you are liable to for UK taxes...this does not make you a UK resident.

If you become a resident of the UK...you cannot also be a US resident. It's your choice...you are a resident of one and a visitor of the other.

I had the same struggle as you about becoming a USC...there were parts of the oath I didn't say for that very reason.
Thank you for clarifying this, Jersey - I agree with you entirely.

Living in 2 countries is not straightforward at all. Basically one has to decide on one country being the place where one is resident - the other country being the one that is visited.

But spend to much time in either country, and tax issues could become extremely complicated (not something to be contemplated with competent advice from an accountant who is conversant with the tax systems of both countries).

I look into this every now again but after just a short time my brain cells get all scrambled and I decide I'll look at it again next year...
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Giantaxe and Jersey Girl. I'm sorry I sounded so confused.

I do realise you can only be an official resident in one place or the other.

And that citizenship and residency are two separate things--you've explained this very well though and made it clearer.

I'm also grateful for the clarification that you're a resident in UK as soon as you "arrive with intent to reside," and that the 90 days is when you become liable for taxes. This was helpful.

Earlier I was thrown off my own mental track by Elvira's point that coming back to visit doesn't keep your green card status open, and by her advice to become a citizen.

What I hadn't made clear originally, before Elivira replied, (or perhaps hadn't got clear in my own head!) is this:

I was hoping to keep my green card status open so that, in the future, if we should want to switch our residency back to US (unlikely in my view, but you never know!) I would still have the green card, without having to start all over again.

Yes, I do see (and it helped that you spelled it out) that while a permanent resident of UK, I'd only be a visitor in the US, green card or no, and my husband would also be just a visitor even though he's a US citizen.

I suppose I thought that with green card and citizenship, we'd be more than just "tourists" when coming back to visit the US, but I guess not for any practical purposes; just as now we are only tourists when we visit UK. (Though if in future we are able to keep a property in both places, we'd be paying property taxes and bills in both, so a bit different from the usual visitor perhaps?)

Anyway, I'm sorry, the idea of trying to keep the green card open for possible *future* use muddied the waters.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to my confused posts!

PS I see that while I was writing this, Elvira replying saying her brain cells get scrambled despite looking into it all every year, I know exactly the feeling!! obviously happening to me too...
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:17 pm
Homebody

...Earlier I was thrown off my own mental track by Elvira's point that coming back to visit doesn't keep your green card status open, and by her advice to become a citizen.

What I hadn't made clear originally, before Elivira replied, (or perhaps hadn't got clear in my own head!) is this:

I was hoping to keep my green card status open so that, in the future, if we should want to switch our residency back to US (unlikely in my view, but you never know!) I would still have the green card, without having to start all over again.

Yes, I do see (and it helped that you spelled it out) that while a permanent resident of UK, I'd only be a visitor in the US, green card or no, and my husband would also be just a visitor even though he's a US citizen.

I suppose I thought that with green card and citizenship, we'd be more than just "tourists" when coming back to visit the US, but I guess not for any practical purposes; just as now we are only tourists when we visit UK. (Though if in future we are able to keep a property in both places, we'd be paying property taxes and bills in both, so a bit different from the usual visitor perhaps?)

Anyway, I'm sorry, the idea of trying to keep the green card open for possible *future* use muddied the waters.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to my confused posts!

PS I see that while I was writing this, Elvira replying saying her brain cells get scrambled despite looking into it all every year, I know exactly the feeling!! obviously happening to me too...
Please: you must get this idea of being able to reside in the UK and visiting the US on your Green Card out of your head.

It just doesn't work that way. It would probably work for a while, but sooner or later you would find that your Green Card status will be considered abandoned.

Please look into the issue of 'green card abandonment'. There are quite a few threads on this issue in the two US Immigration forums here.

If you are planning to live in the UK and visit the US, you have two options: abandon your GC and use the VWP for your visits, or become a USC. The latter would ensure that you do not get any hassle at the POE, and it would leave the door open in case you decide to return to live in the US at some point in the future.

There are inheritance implications as well - LPRs are disadvantaged by the IRS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.