British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-60s-moving-back-uk-629454/)

aes1 Sep 13th 2009 2:11 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn (Post 7927697)
Good Morning Everyone,

Well it's morning here, just sitting here listening to BBC-Scotland and having my husband asking me "what is he saying" lol. Was wondering if anyone has gone back to the UK via Iceland/Denmark with Icelandic Air. My question is, do they accept pounds if you ae in airport and buying a cup of coffee etc., or should I buy some Krona.

Getting down now to the nitty gritty little things, last hair cut, making sue we have all the paperwork done for our wee doggies, making sure that that we both have copies of each others passport, cetificates etc.

Talked with my baby boy, (36yrs old)lol, who is waiting to have his baby boy anyday now, actually overdue. Hope it is not to much longer.

How many days left now? I am confused, is your baby boy over here or in the UK? You are not going to miss the birth I hope? Wow, you are brave, I don't think I could leave the country if I had a grandchild about to be born - at least not right now. But that isn't happening, because neither one of my sons is married yet!!! :rofl: As to currency question, perhaps you can just use a credit card, much easier than buying unnecessary Krona.

Easterndawn Sep 13th 2009 2:19 pm

Good Morning aes1:
Baby boy ( shit he would be mad if he heard me calling him that :rofl:), lives in Manitoba about 5000 klm from here. The baby was due on September 8th, so I am sure it will be born before I go. This is my ninth, but just as special as the first. I might be having second thoughts if they lived closer to me. Thought about using my card, but I would prefer to use cash as we usually only use card in emergency.

Originally Posted by aes1 (Post 7927716)
How many days left now? I am confused, is your baby boy over here or in the UK? You are not going to miss the birth I hope? Wow, you are brave, I don't think I could leave the country if I had a grandchild about to be born - at least not right now. But that isn't happening, because neither one of my sons is married yet!!! :rofl: As to currency question, perhaps you can just use a credit card, much easier than buying unnecessary Krona.

Easterndawn Sep 13th 2009 2:21 pm

Sorry did not answer the first question, 11 more days !!!!!!!! yahooooooooo, hope I am still saying that a month from now!

Originally Posted by aes1 (Post 7927716)

aes1 Sep 13th 2009 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Easterndawn (Post 7927734)
Sorry did not answer the first question, 11 more days !!!!!!!! yahooooooooo, hope I am still saying that a month from now!

Me too, wish I were closer, I would come to the airport and wave you off!!
Yep, if I had that many grandchildren, I would still be leaving!!
Can you just not buy anything in the airport? Doesn't seem worthwhile changing money for that short time. Or, I would still use a card, not like it is a major purchase!! Treat this as a vacation, have fun!!!! My son was in Iceland one year, he loved it!!!!!!

aes1 Sep 13th 2009 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by aes1 (Post 7927739)
Me too, wish I were closer, I would come to the airport and wave you off!!
Yep, if I had that many grandchildren, I would still be leaving!!
Can you just not buy anything in the airport? Doesn't seem worthwhile changing money for that short time. Or, I would still use a card, not like it is a major purchase!! Treat this as a vacation, have fun!!!! My son was in Iceland one year, he loved it!!!!!!

Meant to say, this could be seen as an emergency too, so use the card, got to leave the country asap!!! LOL.

Easterndawn Sep 13th 2009 2:41 pm

By George I think you might be right!!!! talk later got to go back to work, last day tomorrow, thank goodness!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by aes1 (Post 7927744)
Meant to say, this could be seen as an emergency too, so use the card, got to leave the country asap!!! LOL.

alba1 Sep 13th 2009 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Easterndawn (Post 7927697)
Good Morning Everyone,

Well it's morning here, just sitting here listening to BBC-Scotland and having my husband asking me "what is he saying" lol. Was wondering if anyone has gone back to the UK via Iceland/Denmark with Icelandic Air. My question is, do they accept pounds if you ae in airport and buying a cup of coffee etc., or should I buy some Krona.

Getting down now to the nitty gritty little things, last hair cut, making sue we have all the paperwork done for our wee doggies, making sure that that we both have copies of each others passport, cetificates etc.

Talked with my baby boy, (36yrs old)lol, who is waiting to have his baby boy anyday now, actually overdue. Hope it is not to much longer.

Hi
I travelled through Iceland many years ago and purchased things at the duty
free. I know I only had either British Pounds or US dollars and had no problems. However this is a question that Icelandic Air could answer easier than us guessing.

magistrate Sep 13th 2009 6:10 pm

hi everyone ,
Just 10 days to go to our return to the UK after 12 years in the USA,lots of mixed emotions and stress levels sky high as our house has not sold :(.Had a big Yard sale of all our stuff and furniture buyers coming this week ,saddest thing though are my 2 cats ,the 13 old boy will have to be euthanised as he has many health issues and still have not found a home for the 1 year old ,the shelters are all full and will not take him .
Our relatives are acting very oddly ,non supportive which is strange as we were a close knit family ,anyone else had this experience ?. The family all have busy lives but even a lift from the Airport is a huge inconvenience it seems .We are not selfish people and have done a lot for them in the past but they seem resentful that we are returning :huh:. I know after the terrific heat and ghastly humidity we are having in Florida right now ,Devon will be a mite chilly so have bought a Snuggie :eek:

aes1 Sep 13th 2009 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by magistrate (Post 7928081)
hi everyone ,
Just 10 days to go to our return to the UK after 12 years in the USA,lots of mixed emotions and stress levels sky high as our house has not sold :(.Had a big Yard sale of all our stuff and furniture buyers coming this week ,saddest thing though are my 2 cats ,the 13 old boy will have to be euthanised as he has many health issues and still have not found a home for the 1 year old ,the shelters are all full and will not take him .
Our relatives are acting very oddly ,non supportive which is strange as we were a close knit family ,anyone else had this experience ?. The family all have busy lives but even a lift from the Airport is a huge inconvenience it seems .We are not selfish people and have done a lot for them in the past but they seem resentful that we are returning :huh:. I know after the terrific heat and ghastly humidity we are having in Florida right now ,Devon will be a mite chilly so have bought a Snuggie :eek:

Can relate. I asked my sister what she thought I should do when I land at the airport, she said ' get a b & b like you did when you went to Germany'. I might add I went to Germany in May for ONE WEEK holiday from USA and didn't know anyone there, just found it online. This reply from her was following the conversation we were having when I had asked if I could stay with her when I first get back, whilst I find my bearings and do trips South and look for jobs (staying perhaps a month with her), and she was trying to convince me that was a bad idea, because her husband, my brother-in-law had said it was too difficult for me to do and he would rather give me some money towards lodgings. Maybe right, but what about my resting even a week to get over jet lag, and emotional trauma of leaving a country I have just spent 26 years in (USA)? Apparently I am not welcome. So yes, I totally understand what you are saying, and don't let it concern you. I think my sister, maybe your family too, is jealous and has loved telling people she has a relative in the States. Now they can't say that any more. heir problem. Not ours. So be excited, it will all work out!!! I also relate to weather, I shall be moving back from Charleston SC!!! Am also looking at Dorset and Devon - whereabouts are you going?

Easterndawn Sep 13th 2009 7:01 pm

Hi:
What date are you leaving , me on Septembr 24th. I haven't myself, but I have spoken to some people who have ran into the same situation. We came to the conclusion that they were afraid that the relatives from overseas would end up living off them. Family can be quite strange sometimes. It is sometimes a source of pride in some families to have a family member overseas in Canada, USA or Australia, now you are returning, they are not sure what to think. They will come around. Good Luck

Originally Posted by magistrate (Post 7928081)
hi everyone ,

magistrate Sep 13th 2009 7:12 pm

Thanks so much for making me feel better about the relatives ,my hubby and I keep on feeling we have done something to upset them ,we have,nt !!.Asked if we could stay with them for a couple of nights before we move into our rental apartment in newton abbot to get rid of the jet lag and that went down like a lead balloon:D.We are leaving on the 24th Sept from Orlando to Manchester red eye .:thumbdown:

Easterndawn Sep 13th 2009 7:36 pm

Well, we will probable pass each other in the sky, I leave at 10pm on September 24th, with stops in Iceland, Denmark and arriving in Glasgow at 4:30pm on the 25th. We will have to see how each other get on after coming home. I think it would be great to have everyone meet in 2 years in a central place in UK. Good Luck and hope eveything goes well for you and your family!!!!

Originally Posted by magistrate (Post 7928217)
Thanks so much for making me feel better about the relatives ,my hubby and I keep on feeling we have done something to upset them ,we have,nt !!.Asked if we could stay with them for a couple of nights before we move into our rental apartment in newton abbot to get rid of the jet lag and that went down like a lead balloon:D.We are leaving on the 24th Sept from Orlando to Manchester red eye .:thumbdown:

Mummy in the foothills Sep 13th 2009 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by magistrate (Post 7928217)

How awful none of the relies are welcoming any of you for a few nights :confused: I bet they'd have expected a week or two of free lodgings if they wanted a US/Canada holiday.

alba1 Sep 13th 2009 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 7928276)
How awful none of the relies are welcoming any of you for a few nights :confused: I bet they'd have expected a week or two of free lodgings if they wanted a US/Canada holiday.

I agree with you. I do have relatives in the UK who came to the US for vacations etc. and spent time with me while I took care of everyone and put them up, took them around etc. When I divorced and no longer had the larger house with in ground pool etc. they moved on to other relatives who did have the amenities and no longer keep in touch. When I contacted them and said I was thinking of coming back, they started on about how small their house was and couldn't get off the phone fast enough. I didn't even and wouldn't ask to stay with anyone. I fully realize I am on my own and will manage fine.

Boodles Sep 13th 2009 9:23 pm

Easterndawn, I am so happy for you and will pray that your return home goes as smoothly as possible.

Magistrate, I really hope you can find someone to take care of the little kittycat and your return also is trouble free. Please don't fret too much over the relatives, there are obviously some jealousies lurking there, a lot of people don't have the courage it takes to make major changes in their lives and feel envious of those who do.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Thumbs up to you both and make sure when you have settled back that you let us all know how you are doing in the UK