Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 13th 2009, 12:36 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by aes1
Is everyone getting paranoid now?????????

How can anyone answer so fast and so many times????? I have to ration my time on this site, otherwise I wouldn't get anything else done!!!
I'm not paranoid. I'm the only one on here at the moment who is in he UK. Its 1.35am and i'm sloshed I thought this was the reason for all my confusion, but obviously not, seeing as you think the same... you havent been on the vino too have you??
Old Sep 13th 2009, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I'm not paranoid. I'm the only one on here at the moment who is in he UK. Its 1.35am and i'm sloshed I thought this was the reason for all my confusion, but obviously not, seeing as you think the same... you havent been on the vino too have you??
Nope, maybe that's my problem
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Could posters keep comment non-personal and relavant to what those of us thinking of going back to the UK want which is information not personal attacks. That just puts people off.
If posts are not answered it doesnt mean your being ignored information can be stored by those reading.
What we gathered together for is help and insight as to what we can expect when returning home.
Being over 60 I am not in the mood for bickering it wastes time to have to troll through non relavant posts.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
to have to troll through non relavant posts.
is that a Freudian slip?
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Could posters keep comment non-personal and relavant to what those of us thinking of going back to the UK want which is information not personal attacks. That just puts people off.
If posts are not answered it doesnt mean your being ignored information can be stored by those reading.
What we gathered together for is help and insight as to what we can expect when returning home.
Being over 60 I am not in the mood for bickering it wastes time to have to troll through non relavant posts.

Trottytrue, I agree with you absolutely; this is a great thread, started by you, in response to the needs of a particular set of people and circumstances. There are many other threads already available, including Rovers Return, where some of these inappropriate comments might be more at home, or, someone could start a thread on the subject titled, "The nerve of some people who think they can return home after many years abroad" it would give those who think we have no right to return a vehicle to vent their spleens. In the mean time, those of us who are in our 50"s and 60's (I am 64), who have lived for many years in courntries other than our native land and now wish for their remaining time on this planet to be spent in places fondly rememberd from our past - leave this thread to us.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:21 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
No you are not. We have been in the UK for nearly four months. (And we are 59 and 60, so qualified to be on this thread).
Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:46 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
No you are not. We have been in the UK for nearly four months. (And we are 59 and 60, so qualified to be on this thread).
Calm down! I was referring to last nights shinnanigans NOT the entire thread Reread the post. I said "at the moment"

My husband IS 50 so therefore we are also "qualified" Geeez, will you be issuing memberships cards next?

I joined in this thread to genuinely try to help where i could. Nowhere does it say in the opening post that fun or chit chat is not allowed. I did not start any of the nastiness on this thread. In fact it seems to be an overwhelming posse of people from Canada and USA forums who have "issues"
Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:54 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I would double check that. I have two passports and have not had any problem entering on either. However you may find the visa you need to re-enter UK on a US passport will cost as much as the extra expense of renewing your UK passport from there, and of course you can't use the EU passport holders queue which moves a lot quicker than the one for those pesky foreigners!!.
Legally, you must use a British passport. You will probably get away with using another passport but legally, you are required to use your British pasport if you are a British citizen.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:22 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Legally, you must use a British passport. You will probably get away with using another passport but legally, you are required to use your British pasport if you are a British citizen.
Perhaps you would be kind enough to post a link with this information for the benefit of those of us who are currently, apparently, breaking the law. I have been unable to find any information on this issue.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:26 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by jmh
Perhaps you would be kind enough to post a link with this information for the benefit of those of us who are currently, apparently, breaking the law. I have been unable to find any information on this issue.
I have no idea about the legality of this, but i do remember leaving Australia on my Aussie passport and entering UK on my British passport. Does that make me a criminal?
Old Sep 13th 2009, 10:02 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Only saying what the requirement is not what everyone (me included) does. I can travel for ten years within europe on a £10 identity card. The only time I had problems was travelling through Belgium to the u.k. and they asked for my British passport. BTW if you have a new biometric passport you go through the self-service channel. Far quicker. That is, until everyone gets one.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 10:07 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by 37100
Only saying what the requirement is not what everyone (me included) does. I can travel for ten years within europe on a £10 identity card. The only time I had problems was travelling through Belgium to the u.k. and they asked for my British passport. BTW if you have a new biometric passport you go through the self-service channel. Far quicker. That is, until everyone gets one.
Does the biometric one use fingerprints or is it the same as my Aussie passport which has a hard thick scan page in the centre?
Old Sep 13th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Well said

In that vein, does anyone know anything about old videos and DVDs (USA) - can they be converted/adapted to still watch in the UK?? I hve some that I know I cannot replace and would like to take them with me when I move back.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

alba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=aes1;7927559]Well said

In that vein, does anyone know anything about old videos and DVDs (USA) - can they be converted/adapted to still watch in the UK?? I hve some that I know I cannot replace and would like to take them with me when I move back.[/QUOTe

you can have converted to British system or buy a multi region player. That's a question I'd google.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning Everyone,

Well it's morning here, just sitting here listening to BBC-Scotland and having my husband asking me "what is he saying" lol. Was wondering if anyone has gone back to the UK via Iceland/Denmark with Icelandic Air. My question is, do they accept pounds if you ae in airport and buying a cup of coffee etc., or should I buy some Krona.

Getting down now to the nitty gritty little things, last hair cut, making sue we have all the paperwork done for our wee doggies, making sure that that we both have copies of each others passport, cetificates etc.

Talked with my baby boy, (36yrs old)lol, who is waiting to have his baby boy anyday now, actually overdue. Hope it is not to much longer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.