Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 22nd 2010, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
'Rovers Return' - nice one!!
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tanto
Hi Don,
You started one last night called 'Halfway House' and I started one tonight with 50'/60's in the title because Trotty had suggested it. I was awake last night and I'm still awake now.....we have a major storm coming through.
Yes, we are just kicking ideas around at the moment......
Tanto
No Point then?

Rovers Return would be good, but will not be renaming number seventeen as it!

Cannot say to anyone, come to 50's and 60's either, have to think from that angle too, but never thought of that, till now. I suppose we need a name that can apply to several of us?
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Trotty oh dear that was so funny.
Not to be mean or anything could the Welcome Home chat go to that thread that was started.......only cos I dont have much time to read these days and dont want to miss any of the posts from those already home.......

have a great day everyone.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 12:29 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

pictures from home.... snow on my palm tree
Fresh snow here today in West Norfolk, temps hovering around 0 C. Snowfall has been light in this area the past week although very cold.
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-img00074-20101222-1319.jpg  
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 12:38 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
An earthquake - in the UK??? Oh my gosh!!
They're relatively regular. I remember one in the 70s. I was in bed trying not to get up for school and suddenly everything started wobbling. We were a long way from the center, which I think was actually in Carlisle, but it was a 5.0 on the Richter scale, so the ripples made their way all the way down to Yorkshire. I certainly felt it. I remember my parents didn't notice though, so they thought I was making it up. I felt so vindicated when the new reported it that night!

Here's the local Lake District paper's report of last night's minor quake:

http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co....ogical_Survey/

This bit made me laugh:

With there being little damage across the region and reports stating the shake was like a gas explosion, some Kendalian's have labelled the incident as 'Kendal Mintquake' on Facebook.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 1:34 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by J.J
pictures from home.... snow on my palm tree
Fresh snow here today in West Norfolk, temps hovering around 0 C. Snowfall has been light in this area the past week although very cold.
Nice one, JJ. Palm trees in the UK still amaze me!

Here's the snow in our little development on the Thames:

Old Dec 22nd 2010, 1:47 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Wawa
DDL now that you are both back in the UK, I know you are as pleased as punch but does Tony miss the USA at all? I know you probably miss your children, but I was curious if either you or Tony had any moments of homesickness for US.
Indeed, we miss all the things that we knew we would miss: the lifestyle we had, two nice vehicles, our own home on a quiet street in a quiet little town, the nice weather, lack of traffic, etc. etc.

But we knew we'd be starting "behind the 8 ball" when we came back - and we certainly are! This job that he's starting in January is at a salary that he was earning here in the UK when he was in his 20s ... but it's the only job offer he's had, so he's taken it.

It's a bit depressing, but - for us (and everyone's different) - it's balanced by things like the fact that we can be walking around Hampton Court Palace in 20 minutes if we want to, etc. And things like that are one of the reasons we came back.

I'm the one with the occasional meltdown and that's only because of my grandsons. But it is only occasional. I'm planning on going home in February to see them, so that's keeping me going especially now during the holidays when I miss them the most.

I must admit: I splurged a bit on them this Christmas.

Old Dec 22nd 2010, 2:25 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
It's a bit depressing, but - for us (and everyone's different) - it's balanced by things like the fact that we can be walking around Hampton Court Palace in 20 minutes if we want to, etc. And things like that are one of the reasons we came back.

I'm the one with the occasional meltdown and that's only because of my grandsons. But it is only occasional. I'm planning on going home in February to see them, so that's keeping me going especially now during the holidays when I miss them the most.
That must be so hard. Family is the reason I no longer feel settled here even though so many things about my life here are wonderful.

I think you make a good point about the change of lifestyle too. I think anyone returning to England has to really think about whether they can handle the change in their circumstances (if there will be one). Changing cultures is hard anyway but when you also have to accept a less well-to-do lifestyle, it may be too much for some people.

After about a year of reading here, I've figured out that the people who know very clearly and realistically what they want out of their new life, as you did, are the ones who cope with the change the best. Those with romantic notions always struggle.

Also, having a lot of money helps! They always say money can't buy happiness, but I think it at least gives you a nice downpayment.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Indeed, we miss all the things that we knew we would miss: the lifestyle we had, two nice vehicles, our own home on a quiet street in a quiet little town, the nice weather, lack of traffic, etc. etc.
I'm planning on going home in February to see them,
When you come home where will you head for? Thinking, shopping or sights?
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to post DeniseD's photo, with her permission, to my desktop (screen saver)or whatever they call. it So how do I do that?
Click this
Click that
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DDL

But we knew we'd be starting "behind the 8 ball" when we came back - and we certainly are! This job that he's starting in January is at a salary that he was earning here in the UK when he was in his 20s ... but it's the only job offer he's had, so he's taken it.

I must admit: I splurged a bit on them this Christmas.

I really admire this attitude (it will be us next year lol!)

I think you are both very brave to take on this 'new life ' challenge

Last edited by Gabgoeshome; Dec 22nd 2010 at 3:14 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 4:34 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by cheers
When you come home where will you head for? Thinking, shopping or sights?

Sights: My 3 grandsons standing before me.

When they're in school during the day, I'm sure I'll visit the local mall once, but I'd rather spend my time with my family and friends .... over a cup of tea, etc.

I've emailed the boys' teachers to see if I can pop into their classrooms for a brief Q& session about "England". In our small, insular, void-of-a-worldview Southern town, most of those kids don't even know where England is or what it is. The boys will love being the centre of attention with their Neecie in front of the class.

Even though I always worked full-time, when my 3 children were growing up I was in their classrooms as much as possible, reading books to them on my lunch hour (so their teacher could have a little break), etc. I absolutely loved it.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 4:37 pm
DDL

I would like to post DeniseD's photo, with her permission, to my desktop (screen saver)or whatever they call. it So how do I do that?
Click this
Click that

Cheers, I think you just put your mouse over the image, right click with your mouse, then left click on "Set as desktop background".

Enjoy.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
Cheers, I think you just put your mouse over the image, right click with your mouse, then left click on "Set as desktop background".

Enjoy.
Unfortunately I doesn't show that option
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:02 pm
Finally Home!

Unfortunately I doesn't show that option
It must! All computers have the same feature.

Try again and make sure you have the image selected with your mouse when you right click. Just being near it won't work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.