Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 21st 2010, 2:28 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Oh, I'll have to look for the Two Fat Ladies show. I don't know it.

Jamie Oliver is the reason I got into cooking. I don't do well with a lot of structure, so recipes always seemed a little regimented for me - but then I saw one of Jamie's shows and loved how he would just say 'chuck in a bit of this' and 'grab a handful of that' and 'pour in a good glug of that' and all of a sudden I thought 'this could be fun!'

I have to mess around with most recipes, being a vegetarian, but I like that creative aspect.

DDL, I'd love your cornish pasty recipe if it's not a secret because I could definitely use Quorn to make a veggie version.

PS: My ambitions for the rest of my life are a) a stone cottage in Kendal with a big kitchen and b) an aga. We can all dream!
Old Dec 21st 2010, 3:02 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
TROTTY! you fell over OMG!! Well I have not laughed like that since I was in the UK............ we really did only have coffee but it felt like we had a few Baileys in there! It started when we went to leave Dunkins, I was totally not dressed for bad weather, was just a few little flurries when we left the house, had a thin top on and skirt rare thing to see in NH!!!!!!!!! and it was snowing quite hard and so so cold, well we got back to the car that had a covering of snow on it, I said "Its open yourside" and so trotty was trying to get in,I couldnt get the key in the lock, we were standing there freezing our butts off and I said Its open, and TT was saying its not........anyway we were both thinking, oh god the doors are all frozen up etc, when I looked inside and thought what the hecks all that stuff on that seat, yes WRONG CAR, Oh god we laughed and trotted off to the right one, I was wearing stupid little boots with heels, had to hang on to Trotty for dear life, we must have looked a funny sight.
Anyway we get in the car and just start to laugh.......then I started to drive, I am the worst driver in ice, scared to death.........and TT was OMG Denise you can drive cant you........(she does not!) and well we just sat there laughing and I needed to go pee, and everytime she made me laugh I needed to go more ( an age thing!)it got the point i was afraid to move, in the end I had to park up again and struggle back into Dunkins, I am sure those ladies here on their late 50s can sympathise........oh and it just went on and on.......took a very long time to make the 5 minute journey back to her house........we laughed so much. It was really good for the soul. Dropped her off at the end of her drive and my last words were dont fall and I guess she did.

Hightide so good to hear from you...........good luck.
Mummy you did awesome and I shop at the Charity shops for my clothes all the time. Used to my girls too but they know now.........my son will wear anything!

Trotty Mince Pies trifle and Yule log..........I am coming to your place!
LOL! Thats the sort of laugh I have with my mates here when we are together. I have missed that sooo much, as my sense of humour never really seemed to catch on with my friends in the states. (not saying they dont have sense of humour, just saying my particular set of friends didnt.) I have been lucky enough in my job to meet some mates with my same sense of humour and its been so good for the soul.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Hello Everyone,
Seems like the spare rooms are lining up for the returnees. Calle (previously replied to you) and Don, possibly, who had started a separate thread called 'Halfway House'.
Meanwhile, I am having an informal meeting with a friend who has spent her life in the hotel business. We will draught a plan and see where we are with this 'safe house' project.......
Any more thoughts and input will be much appreciated.
Tanto
Old Dec 21st 2010, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tanto
Hello Everyone,
Seems like the spare rooms are lining up for the returnees. Calle (previously replied to you) and Don, possibly, who had started a separate thread called 'Halfway House'.
Meanwhile, I am having an informal meeting with a friend who has spent her life in the hotel business. We will draught a plan and see where we are with this 'safe house' project.......
Tanto
I like the name "Safe House Project"
Old Dec 21st 2010, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by aviva
Thank you Aviva for your thoughts. Yes, 'Safe House Project' is rather nice, I think.
Tanto
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
WINDSONG< CALLE TANTO> I have put a thread header up for you, but cannot say for sure, till I am back, but will certainly have a double bedroom available - though whether there will be any thing in it, we shall find out on arrival! Dontheturner Perhaps you could post the offers there? HALFWAY HOUSE
Don, were you talking to me? I am not sure I understand.

Ohh now I understand - the three of us were interesting in the expat house idea )) Yes!
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh, I'll have to look for the Two Fat Ladies show. I don't know it.

Jamie Oliver is the reason I got into cooking. I don't do well with a lot of structure, so recipes always seemed a little regimented for me - but then I saw one of Jamie's shows and loved how he would just say 'chuck in a bit of this' and 'grab a handful of that' and 'pour in a good glug of that' and all of a sudden I thought 'this could be fun!'

I have to mess around with most recipes, being a vegetarian, but I like that creative aspect.

DDL, I'd love your cornish pasty recipe if it's not a secret because I could definitely use Quorn to make a veggie version.

PS: My ambitions for the rest of my life are a) a stone cottage in Kendal with a big kitchen and b) an aga. We can all dream!
I used to like Jamie Oliver until someone told me he killed a live sheep on his program. I refuse to watch it ever again.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Think we need a separate thread for this venture?
Yes, that's a good idea.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

I think it should be called something less institutional like...like " the Welcome house" or something ??!!
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tanto
Hello Everyone,
Tanto
Hypothetical question: Why would people moving back to the UK be interested in a safe house rather than doing things on their own?

By the way, I am not sure I like the name "safe house". It sounds like a home for domestic abuse victims - sorry. I'd prefer another, more cheerful name, I think.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:56 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Hypothetical question: Why would people moving back to the UK be interested in a safe house rather than doing things on their own?

By the way, I am not sure I like the name "safe house". It sounds like a home for domestic abuse victims - sorry. I'd prefer another, more cheerful name, I think.
Welcome Home sounds good to me...........
Old Dec 21st 2010, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong

I think the idea wind is for people that need to find a rental, or house..and prehaps have no family. Its a place they can stay while they get sorted...
Jackie
Old Dec 21st 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Welcome Home sounds good to me...........
I like that MUCH better
Old Dec 21st 2010, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I think the idea wind is for people that need to find a rental, or house..and prehaps have no family. Its a place they can stay while they get sorted...
Jackie
Thanks, Jackie. I wasn't sure what it's function was but that sounds good.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by DDL
How nice of your colleagues to do that for you! Must have brought a huge to your face!

When Tony got his U.S. Citizenship, my best friend had previously arranged (through one of our Senators) for Tony to be given a South Carolina State Flag that had been flown atop our state capitol. He cherishes it.

He received his Citizenship in November. That New Year's Eve at our neighbour's annual party, everyone present was wearing patriotic red/white/blue head pieces, etc., and when we walked through the back porch into the backyard where everyone was, they greeted us with a unison chorus of "God Bless America". (Well, it was the South.)

I'm glad he's proud of his U.S. Citizenship and that our family and friends emphasized to him that they were, too.
Lovely story DDL! I think we should all be proud of our achievements in our adopted countries, however small - I have lived in different countries and hold a special respect for what they have offered me at various stages of my life. Essential experiences have helped form the person I am today, both professionally and personally, but I have never really put down roots, anywhere, and now its really important to me.

DDL now that you are both back in the UK, I know you are as pleased as punch but does Tony miss the USA at all? I know you probably miss your children, but I was curious if either you or Tony had any moments of homesickness for US. It must be lovely for his mum to have you both back, not to mention the rest of the family.

Speaking of which, your family gathering looked amazing, thanks for posting the pics for us to see. What a house! Only in my dreams, unfortunately

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.