Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 21st 2010, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Sallysimmons... I am going to try the soup this week sounds really good. thankyou.

Mummyinthefoothills....you did great...I love Mr Kiplings Blackcurrant and apple tarts.

ldyinlv..No just coffee but had a great time. Fell flat on my rear end when I was walking across the lawn.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Sallysimmons... I am going to try the soup this week sounds really good. thankyou.

Mummyinthefoothills....you did great...I love Mr Kiplings Blackcurrant and apple tarts.

ldyinlv..No just coffee but had a great time. Fell flat on my rear end when I was walking across the lawn.
I hope you didnt get hurt, sounds like you had a great time..
Old Dec 21st 2010, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanto
Hello Denise 2,
I am interested in starting a 'safe house' for returning ex-pats!!
This subject did come up many months ago and got as far as me asking where it should be (close to an airport). I then spent many hours looking at property for sale......it somehow all fizzled out with other issues coming up. Still, the need is there - somewhere to stay until one is settled and advice and support, etc., etc. I let my imagination wander and think of an Agatha Christie type setting - country house with grounds or such, don't laugh! It all needs some careful consideration and planning.
Is there a way to continue this conversation without hyjacking the thread, or are others interested too?
Tanto
I'd be interested in helping, too. I am still in the "US" but would still love to help. What about getting something like this charitable status in the UK? You could begin the concept any time with a virtual presence and then graduate to a physical building later.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 6:41 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wawa
Hi everyone. Today I had my Canadian Citizenship ceremony in Toronto. .... Cute...
Wawa, congratulations on your significant day, am glad for you that it was enjoyable.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by windsong
I'd be interested in helping, too. I am still in the "US" but would still love to help. What about getting something like this charitable status in the UK? You could begin the concept any time with a virtual presence and then graduate to a physical building later.
Wow, great Windsong. I was wondering what sort of version the UK has for 'not for profit', or if that would even be applicable for this sort of venture.
The support shown so far for this idea is exciting! Again, to be continued........
Maybe start a separate thread for this (also previously mentioned)?
Tanto
Old Dec 21st 2010, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

[QUOTE=HighTide;9051465]I think this is a brilliant idea and if we were able to help out in some way we would be very happy to. It remains to be seen what type of property we end up with at the moment. It could be a B & B or holiday lets or a house with a couple of flats to rent. So whichever way we go we could possibly help in some way. I think the meet and greet at the airport is a lovely idea for those with no family here so that they can be helped on their way to their destination. Getting them to the train or bus station for their journey.[/QUOT

Thanks for your support David and also for the update on your adventures.
Great work on the B&B hunting - the perfect place is waiting for you both........
Tanto
Old Dec 21st 2010, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beedubya
The glass of sherry is a bit too Emily Bishop for me, I am more your Audrey Roberts or Rita Fairclough type.........hic...........and even if the safe haven/ageing Hippy commune doesn't comes to pass it would be damn good to have some kind of "reunion" in the middle bit of the UK...........not even a reunion really as none of us (except TT and Charleygirl) have ever met in real life, but you know what I mean......some kind of meeting of kindred spirits would be priceless............
I had to look up all the names you mentioned as I had no idea who they were. My apologies to everyone for not knowing 'Corrie'!!! I spent decades performing and on tour and never saw any TV except a little in the mornings. My life was a little like living in a bubble.......I'm still catching up!!
Tanto
Old Dec 21st 2010, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aviva
Count me in, I think it's a great idea.
Thank you Aviva - gosh, the troops are assembling! How exciting...
Tanto
Old Dec 21st 2010, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Like everyone else I am broke, but would be more than willing to partiipate in some way..
Jackie
Yeh Jackie!!
The more the merrier!!!
I think we must have a separate thread. Should I start one or should Denise2 do it? Must do some homework and find out how to begin a thread, if I need to......
Tanto
Old Dec 21st 2010, 7:12 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, my mind is spinning with these same thoughts, Barb (great minds think alike)!! Where on earth would we start? Maybe one location somewhere closer to Heathrow to begin - the middle sounds sensible as a home base, and then expand to other parts of the country (nothing like being optimistic)? Maybe ex-ex pats would have a spare room for returnees (as you suggested)? Rodney's in Portsmouth,by the way......David and partner were heading southwest, I think..............I was hopeful that their B&B could be a possible 'safe house'. We could put out a request for help with accommodation. I really like the welcoming committee with tea and scones (perhaps a glass of sherry), and some flag waving?
It's really late here and I'm rambling, but I feel shot through with energy by this whole idea!!!
Must try to get to sleep.........
Tanto
I do have a spare room now, but its a 'box' room. When older son moves out , I will have a proper extra room. Its a really good idea. The best thing would be a proper expat house, but until we sort that we can offer emergency help and a room to sleep in and some support and friendly welcomes.
How Christmassy all this snow looks! I know it has caused its nightmares but its still very beautiful!
Rodney, really good to read your posts. x
This is from my bedroom window, the seaguls coming in to find the bread we have put out on the balcony for them.
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-sn-2010-059.jpg  
Old Dec 21st 2010, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by callé
I do have a spare room now, but its a 'box' room. When older son moves out , I will have a proper extra room. Its a really good idea. The best thing would be a proper expat house, but until we sort that we can offer emergency help and a room to sleep in and some support and friendly welcomes.
How Christmassy all this snow looks! I know it has caused its nightmares but its still very beautiful!
Rodney, really good to read your posts. x
This is from my bedroom window, the seaguls coming in to find the bread we have put out on the balcony for them.
Yes, absolutely a 'proper' expat house, but so very generous of you to start the ball rolling with the offer of your spare room!! It has begun......
Loved the snowy photo with the seagulls - more please!!
Tanto
Old Dec 21st 2010, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Yes, absolutely a 'proper' expat house, but so very generous of you to start the ball rolling with the offer of your spare room!! It has begun......
Loved the snowy photo with the seagulls - more please!!
Tanto
WINDSONG< CALLE TANTO> I have put a thread header up for you, but cannot say for sure, till I am back, but will certainly have a double bedroom available - though whether there will be any thing in it, we shall find out on arrival! Dontheturner Perhaps you could post the offers there? HALFWAY HOUSE

Last edited by dontheturner; Dec 21st 2010 at 9:03 am. Reason: E&OE
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Sallysimmons...That butternut squash sound lovely. Whats the ingredients.?

ldyinlv..I met Charleygirl and we went for a coffee. It was snowing. Remind me never to go out with Charleygirl when its snowing.. Had a great time. Even though we both tried to get into someone else's car to come home. I will let Charleygirl tell you all about it. I am busy for the next few days my Mum gave me a knitted blanket over 20years ago its a bit frayed at the edges so I have been mending it and I have given it a backing and now I am sewing them both together. I am giving it to my daughter for a Christmas present. I already did the ones for my 2 sons. I had knitted baby blanket that a friend had knit them over 30 years ago. So I put a backing on them and they look very nice. I made them into lap blankets. The colours where not baby colours so they worked out fine. If I have time I am putting a boy scout album together for my oldest son with all the pictures we took when he was a boyscout. Just dont know if I have the time. I also have to do some baking. My mince pies and a trifle and a yule log.
TROTTY! you fell over OMG!! Well I have not laughed like that since I was in the UK............ we really did only have coffee but it felt like we had a few Baileys in there! It started when we went to leave Dunkins, I was totally not dressed for bad weather, was just a few little flurries when we left the house, had a thin top on and skirt rare thing to see in NH!!!!!!!!! and it was snowing quite hard and so so cold, well we got back to the car that had a covering of snow on it, I said "Its open yourside" and so trotty was trying to get in,I couldnt get the key in the lock, we were standing there freezing our butts off and I said Its open, and TT was saying its not........anyway we were both thinking, oh god the doors are all frozen up etc, when I looked inside and thought what the hecks all that stuff on that seat, yes WRONG CAR, Oh god we laughed and trotted off to the right one, I was wearing stupid little boots with heels, had to hang on to Trotty for dear life, we must have looked a funny sight.
Anyway we get in the car and just start to laugh.......then I started to drive, I am the worst driver in ice, scared to death.........and TT was OMG Denise you can drive cant you........(she does not!) and well we just sat there laughing and I needed to go pee, and everytime she made me laugh I needed to go more ( an age thing!)it got the point i was afraid to move, in the end I had to park up again and struggle back into Dunkins, I am sure those ladies here on their late 50s can sympathise........oh and it just went on and on.......took a very long time to make the 5 minute journey back to her house........we laughed so much. It was really good for the soul. Dropped her off at the end of her drive and my last words were dont fall and I guess she did.

Hightide so good to hear from you...........good luck.
Mummy you did awesome and I shop at the Charity shops for my clothes all the time. Used to my girls too but they know now.........my son will wear anything!

Trotty Mince Pies trifle and Yule log..........I am coming to your place!

Last edited by charleygirl; Dec 21st 2010 at 10:33 am.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 1:34 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wawa
When I got back to work my office had been plastered with Canadian flags. Cute...
How nice of your colleagues to do that for you! Must have brought a huge to your face!

When Tony got his U.S. Citizenship, my best friend had previously arranged (through one of our Senators) for Tony to be given a South Carolina State Flag that had been flown atop our state capitol. He cherishes it.

He received his Citizenship in November. That New Year's Eve at our neighbour's annual party, everyone present was wearing patriotic red/white/blue head pieces, etc., and when we walked through the back porch into the backyard where everyone was, they greeted us with a unison chorus of "God Bless America". (Well, it was the South.)

I'm glad he's proud of his U.S. Citizenship and that our family and friends emphasized to him that they were, too.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 1:50 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
...cooking and painting are my real joys in life.

I can't draw a straight line (much less paint one!) but I love cooking (and baking), too. I could live on Delia's and the BBC Good Food [magazine] websites.

When were were living in the States, I had pretty good luck with "Delia's Complete Cookery Course" trying to cook some authentic British dishes for Tony.

I eventually mastered the Cornish Pasty after a number of trial-and-error attempts. I cheated a bit (using refrigerated pastry dough), but they were absolutely delicious.

Years and years ago, I was besotted with the "Two Fat Ladies" cooking shows on our local PBS station. I just loved watching them create all that traditional British food from around the UK ... giving the history of the dishes, and some of the venues they used were absolutely fantastic and, of course, usually always complete with an Aga.

I eventually purchased the series on VHS tape when it first became available, then waited years and years for it to come to DVD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.