Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 20th 2010, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Barb & EVERYONE out there in oldie land, sorry I havent been able to post for a few days but Im still relying on the library computers, this thread just moves so fast like a silver bullet, no time to catch up --- sorry, but I do thank anyone who has posted me while Ive been in Portsmouth UK, well almost been here 3 weeks now, still havent been mugged --- touch wood --- or sworn at or cursed out yet
Just came from the doctors and picked up my prescription for my (Stop Smoking Kit) ---- its a 12 week course, its tablets, and the doc says they give you weird dreams --- something simular he said to an Acid flash back from the 60's --- my Doc's pretty darn cool,
I think that the drug is pretty expensive but I didn't have to pay anything cause Im over 65, ---- so wish me luck wont you, I feel really positive about it, I have been smoking for 50 years since I was 15, ---- you see now I know that my Sister only has a few weeks or months to live cause of her lung cancer, I have (PROMISED) my Mum that I will give it up, she said she dont want to loose me too,
Im sure you have all heard that Britain is snowed under, and that this December is the coldest one in 100 years, --- it just waited for me to get here you see, --- Ive just bought a nice pair of ankle length boots with a nice hard tough grip on soles so I wont slip up on the ice as Im walking, they are lovely and really good quality and they were just £20,
Yep Barb you can count me in on the half way house, --- No Money like us all but if I can help in any way I will gladly, Im not good at orginizing things though but you Barb and Ed/pegie are I know,
Well ya All take care wont you, Im hoping to get to the stores currys and pc world before the new year and buy my lap top, --- cause the VAT goes up on January 1st 2011 from 17&half to 20%,
Take care,
Rodney.
PS A few days ago I saw Ronnie Corbett on TV he had a special show, it was great, he's still soo funny, and also last week I saw the Royal Command performance at the London Palladium--- WOW I really enjoyed that, it was for two hours, Prince Charles and wife was in the audience,
Hi Rodney,
I quit smoking 3 years ago after smoking for 39 years, I used the commit lozenges, and they worked for me, not sure if you can get them there. Its worth it to quit....I thought I had gotten away with it when I quit after all those years, but obviously I didnt..I sure hope you can..
Jackie..
Old Dec 20th 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanto
Willing, able and interested - that's a fantastic start!!!
Will google Alsager.
To be continued..........
Tanto
Like everyone else I am broke, but would be more than willing to partiipate in some way..
Jackie
Old Dec 20th 2010, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Like everyone else I am broke, but would be more than willing to partiipate in some way..
Jackie
Think we need a separate thread for this venture?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aviva
Think we need a separate thread for this venture?
Yes, beause we would get people from other threads to participate that way..
Old Dec 21st 2010, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, beause we would get people from other threads to participate that way..
Where is everyone tonight?????????????????
Old Dec 21st 2010, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Went out and mailed two cards then I drove around to see the great river rising then I went out to see the new airport that will open in three weeks then I had a favorite dinner (tired of soup) of creamed potatoes, veg and hamburger paty with onions. Then a cup cake, root beer and m&m's. Cleaned the dishes and now I'm back. Sorry you asked?

You and others mentioned quitting smoking. How about me with type2 and quitting sugar?? Tough to break habits.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Went out and mailed two cards then I drove around to see the great river rising then I went out to see the new airport that will open in three weeks then I had a favorite dinner (tired of soup) of creamed potatoes, veg and hamburger paty with onions. Then a cup cake, root beer and m&m's. Cleaned the dishes and now I'm back. Sorry you asked?

You and others mentioned quitting smoking. How about me with type2 and quitting sugar?? Tough to break habits.
WTMI..lol
Sounds like an interesting evening though.. WOW that has to be as hard as quitting smoking, I cant imagine giving up sugar all the way...
Old Dec 21st 2010, 1:28 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I was having a quiet evening in cooking and watching a UK political show - Andrew Marr if anyone knows him. I love to cook and was making some soup. I needed something to watch in the kitchen while I was working. I used to watch our news, but the American political cable shows just started to do my head in. So tonight I downloaded this Andrew Marr show and watched it on my iPad while I was cooking. It's part politics and current affairs, part entertainment, part music and part comedy.

Oh what a breathe of fresh air. There were interviews with Neil Kinnock (Lord Kinnock to you!) and someone from the current Tory government and they were so different from what we get here - informative, in-depth, and not just an excuse for each politician to spout their talking points. James Blunt sang and David Attenborough talked about his new TV series. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. Plus I came up with a recipe for roasted butternut squash soup with fennel and sherry that was to die for! So a good evening all round

Last edited by sallysimmons; Dec 21st 2010 at 1:35 am.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I was having a quiet evening in cooking and watching a UK political show - Andrew Marr if anyone knows him. I love to cook and was making some soup. I needed something to watch in the kitchen while I was working. I used to watch our news, but the American political cable shows just started to do my head in. So tonight I downloaded this Andrew Marr show and watched it on my iPad while I was cooking. It's part politics and current affairs, part entertainment, part music and part comedy.

Oh what a breathe of fresh air. There were interviews with Neil Kinnock (Lord Kinnock to you!) and someone from the current Tory government and they were so different from what we get here - informative, in-depth, and not just an excuse for each politician to spout their talking points. James Blunt sang and David Attenborough talked about his new TV series. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. Plus I came up with a recipe for roasted butternut squash soup with fennel and sherry that was to die for! So a good evening all round
Sounds like you had a wonderful evening Sally..
Old Dec 21st 2010, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Sallysimmons...That butternut squash sound lovely. Whats the ingredients.?

ldyinlv..I met Charleygirl and we went for a coffee. It was snowing. Remind me never to go out with Charleygirl when its snowing.. Had a great time. Even though we both tried to get into someone else's car to come home. I will let Charleygirl tell you all about it. I am busy for the next few days my Mum gave me a knitted blanket over 20years ago its a bit frayed at the edges so I have been mending it and I have given it a backing and now I am sewing them both together. I am giving it to my daughter for a Christmas present. I already did the ones for my 2 sons. I had knitted baby blanket that a friend had knit them over 30 years ago. So I put a backing on them and they look very nice. I made them into lap blankets. The colours where not baby colours so they worked out fine. If I have time I am putting a boy scout album together for my oldest son with all the pictures we took when he was a boyscout. Just dont know if I have the time. I also have to do some baking. My mince pies and a trifle and a yule log.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Sallysimmons...That butternut squash sound lovely. Whats the ingredients.?

ldyinlv..I met Charleygirl and we went for a coffee. It was snowing. Remind me never to go out with Charleygirl when its snowing.. Had a great time. Even though we both tried to get into someone else's car to come home. I will let Charleygirl tell you all about it. I am busy for the next few days my Mum gave me a knitted blanket over 20years ago its a bit frayed at the edges so I have been mending it and I have given it a backing and now I am sewing them both together. I am giving it to my daughter for a Christmas present. I already did the ones for my 2 sons. I had knitted baby blanket that a friend had knit them over 30 years ago. So I put a backing on them and they look very nice. I made them into lap blankets. The colours where not baby colours so they worked out fine. If I have time I am putting a boy scout album together for my oldest son with all the pictures we took when he was a boyscout. Just dont know if I have the time. I also have to do some baking. My mince pies and a trifle and a yule log.
Those sound like wonderful Christmas presents, much more meaning than store bought things..
Now I am curious about this ar thing with CHarley..lol, are you sure it was just coffee you had???
Jackie..
Old Dec 21st 2010, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

lordy - yule logs. haven't seen or had one of them in years..
Old Dec 21st 2010, 2:02 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you had a wonderful evening Sally..
Actually, now I read that back, I wonder what happened to the girl who used to go to three concerts in one night and then go out clubbing! Ah old age ...

trotty, your Christmas presents sound perfect.

As or the soup, I roasted about 2lbs of chopped butternut squash for 20 minutes in a bit of olive oil and a little salt. Then I added two bulbs of chopped fennel with a couple of cloves of garlic and some fennel seeds and roasted for another 15 minutes.

While that was cooking, I sauteed half a large onion (chopped) in about a tablespoon of butter. Once the veggies were out of the oven, I added them to the onions along with half a cup of sherry, a teaspoon of dried thyme and half a teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Once the sherry reduced (just a few minutes) I added 4 cups of veggie stock - chicken would work just as well for meat eaters - and a pinch of salt and boiled for 20 minutes.

Then I just blended it all into a smooth soup. It really does taste great - the fennel takes away some of the sweetness of the squash and the sherry adds a real depth. It probably makes about 6 hearty servings.

*sorry for boring everyone but cooking and painting are my real joys in life.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Dec 21st 2010 at 2:04 am.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 2:18 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
So I just got back home from Costco and Target. I got tested with the traffic and people in the shops blocking the isles...
My big beef was going into Costco and I was looking for 'deals' on the Christmas seasonal stuff. It was all gone (to charity). I'm caught in the middle with being retired on a fixed income and not eligible for charity. I WANT THOSE BOXES OF CHOCOLATES THAT COSTCO COULDN'T SELL.
I went in the charity shop and there were mobs of people in there. They have a lot of merchandise that is new and still in their packages. I was looking for my daughters clothes that they took in error and I couldn't find them.

Windsong will love this. All these people buying secondhand clothes including shoes. I have never in my life had to wear second hand clothes even during the second world war. These people shopping today looked like regular middle class people. Is the economy bad? Not here. The restaurants are full for the lunch crowd.

Whats going on???
Yes things are that bad, I've been buying second hand for myself for years only now I have more competition for the stuff and they raised all the prices at the two shops I go to.
I could buy new from somewhere like WalMart and do washing more often, but buying used I have a much better quality (Ann Taylor, Liz Clairborne, Lands End, etc etc) that lasts for years not one season and I have more variety in my closet
I buy new socks, undies and shoes for the whole family, but shop the thrift store before buying new clothes for everyone (even the teen Shhhh)
Old Dec 21st 2010, 2:23 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I went shopping, I made out like a bandit at World Market got all the Christmas goodies needed and only spent $23 on a bill of $45 I had a $10 off coupon and a $10 of when you spend $30 so my cupboard are overflowing with cadburys fingers, Mr kipling christmas slices and mince pies and all kinds of other stuff. I only went in for a box of bisto
I had the same effect in Safeway, saved half my bill and am good through Christmas except for Milk. (doing the happy dance here)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.