Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Lorac05
I will be alone on Christmas Day - and have done for many years. I plan on getting up - having coffee with Baileys and chocolate fingers for breakfast. Open my presents, call my family and eat some Quality Street. Then I will make dinner - Bangers and Mash with peas and gravy (I can get some real English sausages from Myers of Keswick in NYC)!! Then I'll go for a long walk to Liberty State Park and when I get home have some Cadbury's Hot Chocolate and whipped cream before snuggling down on the sofa to watch some PBS TV!!
This sounds lovely and good luck to you, sometimes I wish I could feel like you but unfortunately I don't. My christmases were all about my family, big family around the table, my mothers friends in for a sing song on christmas night, and I loved it, and feel my kids although have a certain sense of family, have nothing like I used to have with mine. I envy people that are happy in thier own company, but at christmas I want to feel like I belong somewhere, I wish I had a big house and invite all the people on here who are going to be alone, would'nt that be something
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
This sounds lovely and good luck to you, sometimes I wish I could feel like you but unfortunately I don't. My christmases were all about my family, big family around the table, my mothers friends in for a sing song on christmas night, and I loved it, and feel my kids although have a certain sense of family, have nothing like I used to have with mine. I envy people that are happy in thier own company, but at christmas I want to feel like I belong somewhere, I wish I had a big house and invite all the people on here who are going to be alone, would'nt that be something
I dont know that anyone is truely happy being alone..but when you are it is best to make the most of it..
Jackie
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I would like to apologise to Celticspirit and everybody else that thinks I was being mean and nasty.

I wasn't, I was being flippant, which obviously did not come across too well with the written word.

Nobody likes to be called trite and it was obviously this word that raised my hackles.

I have given CS sympathy in the past over her impending divorce, as I have many other people, and yes I do know what it is like to go through one on your own.

So once again I apologise for making waves on what is normally a peaceful thread.
eeddubya you are a fantastic person, I wish we could meet, I really admire you, and I k now that Celticspirit would as well, I just think she is having a really horrible time at the moment and finding it hard to cope at the moment, (been there worn the teeshirt) so don;t feel bad you are fantastic, and I am praying things will work out for you as well, as I know your decision has not been an easy one either. I think you are suffering just as much as celticspirit regarding your family, but we are here for you and wish you only the best Denise 2
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Wow. I am speechless.

Might be a good idea for you to check the USCIS website about the procedure to renounce your U.S. citizenship. I am guessing this will be a priority on your "To Do" list before you move back to the UK.
That is indeed one of my priorities - if I can get it to work for me.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I am sorry Windsong that you feel that way, I simple don't believe that an taking an oath for any reason other than your loyalty to the country that you have adopted is wrong. I have always had strong thoughts on my homeland, but if war was to break out, I would expect that my sons would be called up to help protect Canada, and how could I say that I hated the country when they were putting their lives in danger for their homeland. I am sure many people will dislike what I have said but we all have our thoughts.

I really don't understand why you hate the US so much, I have not had a great life in Canada but I don't hate the country just some of the people I have had the misfortune to meet along the way.
You misread me. I don't hate it - I just want to leave it - for good. Some of the people I have met, I would like to load onto a garbage truck and put out with next week's trash. On the other hand, I have met some good people but not nearly enough.

It's not so much the people as what is now going on here that I can't tolerate. Enough said, we all have our own reasons for leaving. We shouldn't have to go into detail. This is a forum that is supposed to support one's move back to the UK, not one that pulls apart other people's reasons for their decision.

I'd also like to remind everyone that this forum is probably searchable on the Internet and I, for one, don't want to spell out my life story on the Internet so I will no longer go into detail about much at all. I also think we need to be more accepting and far less critical and intrusive about the decisions and points of view of others.

Last edited by windsong; Dec 19th 2010 at 11:02 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I just didn't say it. There were hundreds and hundreds of people in the room and no-one knew if you said it or not. Plus, me promising to take up arms is a pretty safe bet - I can't see much chance that they'll want to draft middle-aged women into a war against Britain any time soon
SALLY I am sorry but I really find this double standards.... When I immigrated to Canada I did so to start a new life, and integrate with my new country. I find it hard for people who have lived in a country for years to suddenly renounce it. I am Irish I will always be Irish born, but I have taken Canadian Citizenship and am also very proud of it. I love parts of the uk and would willingly live in the nicer parts (hypocrite) but thats me, But I have great memories of Canada too and won't rubbish it. Can I pose a question and I am opening a can of worms, but am not being judgmental, but I would like to pose the question, How many would return to the UK if they had the healthcare they have in the uk? not being funny just curious as a lot of the unhappiness in expats from the USA seems to be because they are getting older and the healthcare in the USA is so expensive??? Again I am not being judgemental, as I would probably do the same, just would love to read honest to god accounts, "if people had the same health care would they consider coming back" denise 2
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

SALLY I am sorry but I really find this double standards.... When I immigrated to Canada I did so to start a new life, and integrate with my new country. I find it hard for people who have lived in a country for years to suddenly renounce it. I am Irish I will always be Irish born, but I have taken Canadian Citizenship and am also very proud of it. I love parts of the uk and would willingly live in the nicer parts (hypocrite) but thats me, But I have great memories of Canada too and won't rubbish it. Can I pose a question and I am opening a can of worms, but am not being judgmental, but I would like to pose the question, How many would return to the UK if they had the healthcare they have in the uk? not being funny just curious as a lot of the unhappiness in expats from the USA seems to be because they are getting older and the healthcare in the USA is so expensive??? Again I am not being judgemental, as I would probably do the same, just would love to read honest to god accounts, "if people had the same health care would they consider coming back" denise 2
No.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

I am personally going home to spend some time with my parents, they are getting old, and I want to spend some time with them before it is to late. The health care situation is a factor, but I wouldnt move back to the UK just for that reason, after 34 years here in the US.
Jackie
Old Dec 19th 2010, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by windsong
You misread me. I don't hate it - I just want to leave it - for good. Some of the people I have met, I would like to load onto a garbage truck and put out with next week's trash. On the other hand, I have met some good people but not nearly enough.

It's not so much the people as what is now going on here that I can't tolerate. Enough said, we all have our own reasons for leaving. We shouldn't have to go into detail. This is a forum that is supposed to support one's move back to the UK, not one that pulls apart other people's reasons for their decision.

I'd also like to remind everyone that this forum is probably searchable on the Internet and I, for one, don't want to spell out my life story on the Internet so I will no longer go into detail about much at all. I also think we need to be more accepting and far less critical and intrusive about the points of view of others.
Windsong hello d welcome to this very helpful and informative forum. I am not able to get access to the internet as much as I would like so I have been skimming through a lot of the posts, without having the time to answer any. I honestly don't know how to say what I want to, except to say you have come across in a few past post as a little bit aggressive. Please don@t get me wrong as I have done the same myself when I was so lonely, but this was the one place I was able to come too tel my story and get only support, no recrimminations at all, thats what we are about accept each other warts and all, so please you are coming across a little aggressive, thats not what we are about. If I have taken you up wrong, please accept my apologies, regards Denise 2and please excuse the spelling
Old Dec 19th 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Tina ..Dont need to tell you to have a good time from what you have said it sounds like a wonderful time. Enjoy it all and pop back and tell us how you feel about it all. France as well.

DDL...Could you give some information on how you think the UK approaches Christmas. By that I mean do they have trees up, sing carols in the shopping areas have lights up in the town. Do people Wish you a Merry Christmas. The food and TV programs tell us all about it. Just want to feast on it. When I get back I want to visit the Victoria and Albert Museum the Textile Collection it covers over 2,000 years. I dont know how much it cost to get it but I am planning on a weekend. My niece said she will come with me.

I went to a Mall here in NH and you would be hard pressed to find any Christmas trees in the Mall or decorations really nothing different apart from the shops wanting to lure you in to spend money. Also the Salvation Army collecting. I always have a dollar ready for each pot I see. But other than that its hard to tell its Christmas. Perhaps in other parts of the country its different.
T>T. I have to share this experience, we came up to Belfast on Thursday to do some xmas shopping, as everything is so much more inexpensive there than Cork. Anyway we checked into the Days Inn hotel in the city centre, and decided to walk to the town to have dinner. Well I thought I was in Lapland, it was so beautiful. we had the continental market at the City hall, which looked amazing... the building is beautiful anyway,.. but they had all the trees surrounding it, lit with lights, the continental market had lights everywhere it was like Santas wonderland, anyway my oh and I found this georgous restaurant/bar overlooking the city hall to have dinner, the snow started... big fat flakes of snow coming down, our, table overlooking the market and cityhall through plateglass windows, I have not experienced anything like it for a long time, our friends at the next table (from England) actually took photos, I wish I had my camea with me to share with you, it was really beautifull. We are so far behind in regards to snow removal, ploughing ect: but you know for those of you coming back to the UK after being away for a long time, you will get a culture shock and a lot of things you will miss from USA/Canada, but you will have to work out what is important to you, and learn to live with the shortcomings. just my opinion Denise 2
Old Dec 19th 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

dgjamison...We have good healthcare in the US. We are both over 65 and have medicare and advantage which costs us about $65 per month. With that we get prescription drugs must admit when you get to the doughnut hole it does get expensive but doctors are willing to help your around that. Well ours are. So yes I will be going home and perhaps not get the great healthcare I get now but I still want to go.

Christmas was and is a let down in the US not because of the place but because I dont have that extended family around me. My Dad was a Scot so New Years Eve was the best. He would save up all year and come Christmas these crates of drinks would arrive at the house all types. My oldest brother being talk and dark would let the old year out and the New Year in our whole neighbourhood would join in. Wonderful times. Afraid to say that does not happen now those people are long gone and there is not that spirit anymore. Last time I was home we had one visit after the other to friends and family. I loved it.

My niece did tell me today that as she lives at the bottom of a hill on her estate with many others the whole neighbourhood of men got out there and cleared the pavements and the road. There was more than 60 men clearing it up. Thats the Spirit of England thats what I love about the place.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 11:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I'd still choose to live in the UK.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

dgjamison...I was almost there with you what a beautiful sight that must have been. You are right about us missing things when we get home we are spoilt here in NH because we have such alot of snow the towns here are very experienced in what to do and when. Salting and snow plowing.

My sister in law decided to take a trip to Liverpool today. She went by bus. She said it took nearly 4 hours to get there. She went to pick her parcel up from Marks and Spencers went back to the bus station and they informed her that no more buses would be running back to Preston for the rest of that day. They told her to try the train station. When she got there it was packed. So many people they could not get on the train so they had to bring out another carriage to add on to the train. There were delays because a train had got stuck in a tunnel. She was not very happy when she got home.I told her that would teach her not to take trips when the weather is bad.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
dgjamison...We have good healthcare in the US. We are both over 65 and have medicare and advantage which costs us about $65 per month. With that we get prescription drugs must admit when you get to the doughnut hole it does get expensive but doctors are willing to help your around that. Well ours are. So yes I will be going home and perhaps not get the great healthcare I get now but I still want to go.

Christmas was and is a let down in the US not because of the place but because I dont have that extended family around me. My Dad was a Scot so New Years Eve was the best. He would save up all year and come Christmas these crates of drinks would arrive at the house all types. My oldest brother being talk and dark would let the old year out and the New Year in our whole neighbourhood would join in. Wonderful times. Afraid to say that does not happen now those people are long gone and there is not that spirit anymore. Last time I was home we had one visit after the other to friends and family. I loved it.

My niece did tell me today that as she lives at the bottom of a hill on her estate with many others the whole neighbourhood of men got out there and cleared the pavements and the road. There was more than 60 men clearing it up. Thats the Spirit of England thats what I love about the place.
TT - That's what my girlfriend over there told me - all the neighbors pitched in and got it cleared ))
Old Dec 19th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

This should bring a smile to your faces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4_EdJ-XkUA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.