Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello trotty,
WOW how do you find the time to update us all with all this wonderful info, your great, thank you,
Well Ive been in UK now for 2 weeks and everything is great, sorry I havent got time to catchup with all the many posts from everyone, cause I still havent bought a lap top yet, and using the library computers, and they give you limited time, and also thanks to anyone who has posted to me while I have been home, and so sorry you didn't get a reply from me, but when I get a laptop which should be within a few weeks I will be able to spend more time reading everyones posts as they come,
Hope everyone is fine and well and still chasing there dreams to come back here, --- I can tell you this so far --- my decision to come home for good was definitely without a doubt the very best decision that I have ever made in my life, I am very happy here, although very sad and heart broken that my only Sister has apparently only a few weeks to live, she's dying of lung cancer, me and Mum went up to Plymouth to see her a few days ago and she looks very thin and Ill, lost so much weight,
Well take care everyone,
Rodney.
Oh Rodney, I am so so sorry to hear about your sister, and my thoughts and prayers are with you at this very very sad time. It is always so sad at any time of the year but christmas just makes it so much sadder. I love christmas but I have always thought it a sad and reflective time of the year, I know I always get so nostalgic missing my loved ones at this time and always shed a little private tear thinking of times past. How hard for your mum too. God bless and I am so glad you are happy being home happy Christmas and a very peacefull and as happy as can be New Year Denise
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:21 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Ah Denise, you have never watched The Royle Family? The name of the daughter is Denise and the mum is Barb. If you watch it you will get what I meant. I am not sure though you being American will get that Northern Brit sense of humour, it sound ridiculous but the whole show centres around a family sitting in front of the TV, drinking cups of tea and smoking.........
Oh yes Barb...have been a big fan of The Royle Family since the very beginning. I think we've seen every single episode at least 3 times. We just love it. When I lived here the very first time (7 years ago) we used to have to run subtitles so I could understand, but I'm pretty good at all the accents now. (Except for the Scots - man, I have a hard time with that accent!)

Talking about getting your own place have you put your name down for any of the Sheltered housing schemes yet? .......have you and your husband done any serious investigating?
We've been on the Housing 21 list since August and were offered a couple of places in Somerset not long after we got here but decided we just had to wait until at least one of us had a job first before we decided where we would live.

Now that Tony knows where he will be working, I've enquired about a nearby Housing 21 development. They don't have any 2-person flats available now, but we're on the waiting list.

As I've mentioned before, it doesn't phase us at all that it's "sheltered housing" and may or may not be full of people much, much older than us. As far as we're concerned, it's just an inexpensive place to hang our hats.

Don't know yet when Tony's job starts and - when it does - not sure if we'll try to get our own place immediately or wait until I find work. It may or may not end up being 'sheltered housing' .... but it doesn't hurt to be on the list, does it?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Okay how the heck did I ever miss the Royles, so funny, oh dear going to get even less done now......
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:27 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are right DDL/Denise, it doesn't hurt to get your names down, but I think I need to do a lot more research first on locations, etc. Perhaps I would feel better about it if I had a "young" partner the same age as me living in the same flat, if that makes sense? I know what I mean anyway.

Are you driving over there yet Denise? When I emigrated here I couldn't drive, well I never felt the need in England but living in Australia it is more of a necessity so I learnt very soon after coming here.

And although we drive on the same side here I have never driven in the UK, as I can only drive automatics. I think when the time comes I will have a few driving lessons as some of the road rules seem to be different.

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 19th 2010 at 8:29 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Okay how the heck did I ever miss the Royles, so funny, oh dear going to get even less done now......
I cannot believe you have never seen them Charleygirl!!!

You have loads of catching up to do, enjoy!!!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:29 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

2) What about Christmas pudding? I'm not even a fan of Christmas Cake (although I'm trying!) but once or twice have tried expensive brands of Christmas Pudding but really, really did not like it. Any Christmas Pudding fans here?
I really never liked Christmas pudding. Every year my nan would make it (we always had Christmas at her house) and every year we'd all try and eat it, but most of it would get left.

Christmas cake though ... LOVE it! But to really enjoy it, you need a decent slab of crumbly white cheese on top. Wensleydale is best although Cheshire works too.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I seem to have a lot of facts wrong and I need to thank you for correcting me especially on the Denises.
I need to put a qualifier on my posts such as 'I think'

Cheers
Hi Cheers, it is so confusing, I am dgjamison, so I am denise 2, DDL is Denise 1 (although by default as I was on here before her I should be No. 1 haha) and charleygirl is Denise 3 I think, but I might start signing myself Denise J so it will make it easier what do you think (and I thought my name was unusual ha)
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J.J
Hi all,
we are just back from a few days break in London, we had a good time, low key, relaxing.

Traveled there by train, our Senior rail card, at orig cost 16 pound, cut ticket price to 25 from 38 off-peak, we will get the cost of the rail card back in two trips..

We had downloaded from web offers of 2 for 1 entry to attractions if traveling to London by train. Quite a money saver.
Entrance fees: St Pauls 12.50, Shakespeare Globe 10.50; British Museum no charge but 5.00 suggested, Southwark Cathedral no charge but 4.00 donation suggested. Guided tour walk of Inns of Court 8.00 (company is "London Walks")

The Inns of Court walk was great, 2 hours with a knowledgeable guide , full of quips and quotes, took us to places around Lincoln Inn and Temple that we never knew and probably would never have ventured. We learned so much about the courts, history, law and characters (about Cherie and Tony too !!) Afterward we took ourselves into Royal Courts of Justice and sat in the back of a hearing in progress, great entertainment (for an hour or so anyway). For lunch nearby in Fleet Street is the Old Bank of England building, wonderful indoor decor and atmosphere, now a pub with good beer and pies (but hopefully not prepared to a Mrs Lovett recipe, Sweeny Todd's partner previously resident on the site)

We did spend a little time in British Museum but preferred our 90 mins in the smaller less impersonal (very personal in some ways) Hunterian Museum of Anatomy at Lincoln Inn Fields (pointed out to us by the walking tour guide)

Apsley House, 5.10 for seniors, residence of Dukes of Wellington, was also a interesting place, fantastic chinaware and paintings and history. Wellington Arch was closed to visitors that day so has to go on list for next time.

Out of curiosity, we included in one of our strolls the art-deco apartments used in the Hercule Poirot series (near Smithfield market), another quiet Sq "N'est-ce pas?" that would not be ordinarily noticed.

5 to 9 pm nightly through Dec there are carols sung by volunteer choirs in Trafalgar Sq for the price of a charity donation - the Christmas tree burnt by rioting students has been replaced.

But other than the material sights, people watching was fantastic, all and every kind, and polite as heck, if you step aside on the pavement the other party says 'thank you', people step up to help mom's with prams, bump into someone and they say 'Ooops', people chat at bus stops and while waiting at the bar in a pub, smiles everywhere. One place we were studying the map, 2 different people stepped up to ask if we needed directions.

All is not perfect, there are still homeless and beggars on the streets, and pavements in a few places were disgusting but generally the overall condition was fine and minimum litter.
Traffic was heavy as always, but the buses usually get through on the bus lanes, plenty of light controlled ped xings, Boris Bikes are to be often seen in use but I wouldn't dare in the traffic. Oxford Street was extremely crowded with shoppers.

And, if that is not enough fun (apart from all the great historic pubs large and small that we patronized for a tipple) we traveled it all for free, yes, the Free Bus Pass issued to us in Norfolk worked for us on London's buses. We had never used the buses before, previously preferring the Tube for it's simplicity, but we soon figured out the bus network Map and used buses everywhere around central London.

We lucked in with a B&B too, Alhambra, convenient for us to nearby Kings Cross Station, at 75.00 / night double inc full breakfast, Typical small London room but clean, pleasant staff, good and efficient breakfast, we will use them again.

All round a good 'Welcome to UK' trip to London. So, that is our news.

Am pleased to come back and find you all here, posting as ever.

p.s. we had a sausage roll in Harrods, tasty, but Greggs may still have it beat.
JJ what a lovely post, you know if I won the lottery I would buy something in London, as I love the history of the place, the theatres, the pubs, and the people, the thing that makes London unique, I love it there and will be going back for a city break, along with other beautiful parts of the UK like York, Chester, Cheshire, and Glasgow in Scotland. I wish I had appreciated what was on my doorstep before travelling over to Canada and the States and using up my savings, but then again, it was an experience and it has put the itchy feet to rest thank god. Denise J
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I don't think you are right. The US does allow dual nationality. It may have something to do with collecting taxes.
Aren't they the same thing?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Everyone,

Well, for those who were asking about Wee Mac, he is lovely and although it might be because I am his mommy, he is quite smart. He already follows me all over the house and has to be close to where I am sitting to go to sleep. He loves to cuddle, I was also taking care of my friends wee dog and I was not sure how Rudy would take to a new puppy, but they got on great together, although I am not sure if Rudy thought that Mac was a wind up toy or not He has also started to get a hand on the potty training part of his life and that is always the hardest part of the puppy years.
"Wind up toy" - I love it

So glad to hear he is settling in
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by windsong
Lovely!!! Thank you for posting this.
beautiful and so true......
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Let's remember that this season is all about PEACE.

Trottytrue, our thread starter, has tried to soothe the ruffled feathers caused by a couple of previous posts....she really cares about this thread and that we are a supportive and kind group.

I'm sure that Celticspirit, who is suffering right now, didn't mean any people were trite, but just that the food conversations seemed trite to her, in her profoundly difficult situation at the moment....

I'm sure Barb didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings either, but was just trying to say that we all have different pains to cope with, and sometimes a daydream about Greggs (or whatever) can ease the sorrow...

Let's just all give each other the benefit of the doubt whenever possible...it's easy to misconstrue a written posting because you can't hear tone of voice or see a smile....

Tis the season of goodwill!

Tina.
I totally agree with this, I don't know what is really going on as I have limited time on the internet, but Celticspirit seems really dangerously down that worries me and Barb is a beautiful person so I can only assume something has gone OTT in the telling. This forum is the best and has helped so many of us through our worst times, so lets help and support each other, I honestly don't think I could have survived without this forum, and I want that for other people out there who are afraid to tell us their story and are holding all their pain inside, they will see through time we are here only to support each other not snipe the other threads on here are only too good at rubbishing peoples feelings, this is the first honest to god thread I have found and it has been my lifeline so please keep posting and get it all out we are here for each other
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by charleygirl
hi everyone, back from my ceremony, 81 people from 41 countries and 3 Brits lots of Canadians. It went so smoothly and was so organised.
Lovely lovely ceremony, I was very surprised, had a choir of 4th graders singing a lovely selection of American Patriotic songs...
Old veterans led the national anthem, very nicely done, was not expecting it to be so moving.

Couldnt send of Passport ap. though as "they" did not show up, whoever "they" are.
good luck to everyone else going through the process.
Charleygirl don't know if I am a sucker or not but have always loved the star spangled banner from being a little girl. I would have loved the opportunity of living in the states, but because I thought I could'nt we went to Canada instead and I have to say I loved it there as well. I will never rubbish these countries, its the governments that screwed things up, and they have a lot to offer people, I will never regret immigrating to Canada and experiencing a whole different way of life in the 1970's. and to some extent I am sorry I returned too early back to blighty. But I am glad to be home now and my wondering days over, I am content now for the first time in my life so for all you expats feeling guilty about taking citizenship go for it you never know what you will feel in 5 years time, better to have the option, are'nt we privilaged to have a choice
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Awwww Trotty dont be sad..
This is the first Christmas in a long time that I am feeling a sense of hope for the future..Christmas is usually a depressing lonely time for me, but for the first time I have something to look forward too. I am sure that my CT will show that I am cancer free, and I can start a new and happy life in England.
I wish the best for everyone on this thread..and hope 2011 brings everyone, what they hope, and wish for.
Jackie
ldyinlv, good luck with the results wishing you only the best. On this thread at the beginning someone suggested a kind of half way house, for people returning to the uk for expats. I for one would love to see this through more. I would love to get together with others and see about getting a house and liasing with the jobcentre and social servises to help returning expats. If there is anyone there that is really interested in doing this please get in touch I would love to get something started. It really upsets me to think there are people out there alone at Christmas I wish I could get something going for us all together, anyone interested please get in touch, especially anyone with organisational skills as I am hopeless. We may need people with a little capitol to pool their resourses together to get the thing started, I would be up for it. Denise 2
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
ldyinlv, good luck with the results wishing you only the best. On this thread at the beginning someone suggested a kind of half way house, for people returning to the uk for expats. I for one would love to see this through more. I would love to get together with others and see about getting a house and liasing with the jobcentre and social servises to help returning expats. If there is anyone there that is really interested in doing this please get in touch I would love to get something started. It really upsets me to think there are people out there alone at Christmas I wish I could get something going for us all together, anyone interested please get in touch, especially anyone with organisational skills as I am hopeless. We may need people with a little capitol to pool their resourses together to get the thing started, I would be up for it. Denise 2
Thank you Denise..
I agree that would be a great idea....if RV clubs can get together for annual dinners etc..then i think the very least we could do is have an annual dinner somewhere..a different part of the country every year to make it fair...a weekend ..to talk about our experiences, and meet the people who have meant so much to us..
Jackie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.