Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 19th 2010, 3:13 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by windsong
I agree totally! I hate that oath. It was so depressed the day I took citizenship - had to for my job. If there was anything written that said I would have had to give up my UK passport, job or no job, I would have walked out. I know where my loyalties lie - always have. I can't honestly remember if the words were the same when I took the oath but I know it was a sad day for me.

Wow. I am speechless.

Might be a good idea for you to check the USCIS website about the procedure to renounce your U.S. citizenship. I am guessing this will be a priority on your "To Do" list before you move back to the UK.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:14 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
OK..question...

do you think its wise that someone who lost half of a kidney 2 months ago, drank approx 1 1/2 bottle of realllllllly wonderful red wine this afternoon with some really wonderful friends that "they" are going to miss dearly when "they" move back to England?????? ...(innocent look),,,
Probably not, how are you feeling?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

haha Denise, when you said Noddys 50 songs, you can guess who I thought off, Er Bigs Ears little friend, i thought Noddys 50 songs??? I didnt know he sang that much
Enjoy......
Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:26 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

DDL, Thanks for the TV information. I really didn't expect a Royle Family this year, but it's fantastic to know it will be on.

We can usually find it online a few hours after it's shown there, which means it will be our Christmas Day evening viewing too. I so love that family, although I miss nan now she's gone.

I hope one of the Top 50 songs was Fairytale in New York by the Pogues. That's my #1 of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwHyuraau4Q

RIP, Kirsty Maccoll

Edited: I just noticed this video has a Noddy Holder logo in the top corner so he must have been doing this show for a while!

Last edited by sallysimmons; Dec 19th 2010 at 4:29 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Lorac05....I think if you spoke to my family in the UK they would say they are sick and tired of the Christmas Season starting so early. Christmas songs have been playing in the shops for weeks and the stores had decorations and food out many moons ago. I think thats a theme in many countries. Get the goods out so they can make a big profit. House lights are also put out in the Uk but again way to early.

DDL...I am a middle of the road religious person but I do find some of these people in the so called Bible Belt way overdo it. But then thats their choice. I know my sister in law lives in Florida and she is whats known as a 'born again Christian' I find that a little overwhelming. I think Catholics are much more quiet and we Church of England are much more subdued. But there's nothing like listening to a Carol Concert from Westminster Abbey.

There is another show that I am looking forward to watching "Benidorm'. My sons loved Noddy. Do you know if they are doing a Midsummers Murder special.

Sorry about your brother in law what a time to lay people off. I hope he gets to keep his job. But what a worry.

Meant to ask you how do cars perform in the UK during this bad weather. I don't suppose they have snow tires or 4 wheel drive. My niece has a small bubble car in the UK I cannot imagine her driving it in this weather.

Thats for the update, I am off for a Bailey's Irish cream and a Cadbury's Chocolate.

Charleygirl.. I dont know why we dont have lights with the amount of taxes we pay this town.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Meant to ask you how do cars perform in the UK during this bad weather. I don't suppose they have snow tires or 4 wheel drive. My niece has a small bubble car in the UK I cannot imagine her driving it in this weather.

Thats for the update, I am off for a Bailey's Irish cream and a Cadbury's Chocolate.

Charleygirl.. I dont know why we dont have lights with the amount of taxes we pay this town.
1. What kind of a bubble car does your niece have? They use to be a very small German cars. NSU was one. Maybe it is a Smartcar.
2. There are a lot of 4 wheel drive cars in the UK. Land Rovers and all the Japanese 4WD. They are very common. I don't see any tire chains.
3. I don't drink but you could share that Cadbury bar with me
Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Probably not, how are you feeling?
I actually feel ok..it was good wine, although I do seem to have a slight headache. It was actually nice to have a nice festive afternoon/evening, and feel like a normal person again for a while..

Jackie
Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong and others.....I really found nothing wrong with the Oath. I looked back to see what I had posted when I took mine and all I said was I had a little cringe only because my Mum would have killed me had she been alive. Many people who come to the United States are only to happy to take that Oath they come from countries that dont give them any choices in life some who come from Britain are also happy to take the Oath, to them this is a good place to be. I feel I do owe this country a certain amount of loyalty and I do when its mentioned about taking up arms to protect it, well I would if it was being attacked by anyone else but the UK and the chances of conflict between the US and UK are nil so that didnt me. My heart will always be English . The only time I do hesitate and really dont sing the words is they sing ' My Country". Only because the melody is also from "God Save the Queen".

My feelings about the US are no different that my feelings about Scotland, Ireland and Wales. I love them but my heart is English
Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cheers..Not sure the name of the car but it scared me when I was in it. No protection as you sit right behind the bubble of glass.

Its a box of chocolates I was suppose to keep for Christmas but whats a Baileys without a choccy. I also have some cruchy bars and a parcel of food on its way from the UK from my family.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 5:02 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I so love that family, although I miss nan now she's gone.
We love them as well! Love Liz Smith. We've seen her on stage a few times. She's really slowing down, but what a luv. Been watching her lately on DVD in an old series she was in when she was very young: "I Didn't Know You Cared". It's superb!

I hope one of the Top 50 songs was Fairytale in New York by the Pogues. That's my #1 of all time.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwHyuraau4Q RIP, Kirsty Maccoll
I think it was #2 or #3. I think it should have been #1. It's my fave, as well. There was a movement afoot to push it onto the charts as #1 this year because it's the 10-year anniversary of Kirsty's tragic accident.

Speaking of the Pogues have you seen Shane's latest? "Little Drummer Boy" with The 3 Priests http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLSMGsvLMPo
Old Dec 19th 2010, 5:05 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by charleygirl
haha Denise, when you said Noddys 50 songs, you can guess who I thought off, Er Bigs Ears little friend, i thought Noddys 50 songs??? I didnt know he sang that much Enjoy......
ha ha ha ha

Throughout the countdown, Noddy's sat (with a Santa hat on) amongst a small group of children and, of course, he's bantering back and forth with them. At the very end of the programme, he says something like, "OK, you lot go back home now to Brad and Angelina."
Old Dec 19th 2010, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong and others.....I really found nothing wrong with the Oath. I looked back to see what I had posted when I took mine and all I said was I had a little cringe only because my Mum would have killed me had she been alive. Many people who come to the United States are only to happy to take that Oath they come from countries that dont give them any choices in life some who come from Britain are also happy to take the Oath, to them this is a good place to be. I feel I do owe this country a certain amount of loyalty and I do when its mentioned about taking up arms to protect it, well I would if it was being attacked by anyone else but the UK and the chances of conflict between the US and UK are nil so that didnt me. My heart will always be English . The only time I do hesitate and really dont sing the words is they sing ' My Country". Only because the melody is also from "God Save the Queen".

My feelings about the US are no different that my feelings about Scotland, Ireland and Wales. I love them but my heart is English
I agree with you,Trotty, I found nothing wrong in taking the oath, because inside you are still British,and nothing would ever change that. But, the U.S has been good to us and like you my feelings are the same about U.K and the U.S. Our was only a small ceromony about 30 of us and we met some lovely people who wept when they took the Oath,especially when the official told them that in this country they didn't have to fear for their lives and they had freedom of speach. When we eventually go back to England the one thing that will go with us will be the stars and stripes we were given when we became citizens.
I would never renounce my U.S citizenship , but for people you want to you can do so by contacting to the U.S embssy in London and they will advise you.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 5:19 pm
DDL

DDL...I am a middle of the road religious person but I do find some of these people in the so called Bible Belt way overdo it. But then thats their choice. I know my sister in law lives in Florida and she is whats known as a 'born again Christian' I find that a little overwhelming. I think Catholics are much more quiet and we Church of England are much more subdued. But there's nothing like listening to a Carol Concert from Westminster Abbey.
So agreed on all accounts. I was raised Catholic, became one of those "born again Christians" not long after I moved South, and now consider myself an atheist, so go figure!

Do you know if they are doing a Midsummers Murder special.
I haven't seen/heard anything.

I can only speak for ourselves. Living here with mum, our car's kept in the garage so it starts right up in the cold weather but with all the ice, we just haven't taken it out. Tonight, for example, Mum had a "do" and she - who drives everywhere and anywhere - called for a cab instead.

Thanks for the update, I am off for a Bailey's Irish cream and a Cadbury's Chocolate.
Now that sounds delicious!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
I was never a big fan of the Christmas specials on American telly, but I don't think you can beat our classic Christmas films like "White Christmas", It's a Wonderful Life", "The Bishop's Wife" (one of my all-time favourites), and "A Christmas Story" (brilliant - the one with 'Ralphie' and his Red Ryder BB gun).

I also adore "The Polar Express", mainly because my grandfather was a Conductor for the Burlington Railroad out of Chicago and I have such fond memories of riding on the train with him.

There's so many more I like that are connected with my childhood. I've been on YouTube lately watching them. Makes me all warm and cuddly feeling inside.

It's Sunday afternoon and we're sat around the telly right now watching "Noddy's 50 Best Xmas Songs". Really enjoying this, and I'm seeing loads of songs I've never heard of before!
Oh, The Christmas Story what a laugh that one is, especially the lamp that the dad won
Old Dec 19th 2010, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Got to ask, who is the Royle family? haha again I thought it was a mispelling of the Royal and you meant The queens speech.......Oh dear and I havent had a drink either..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.