Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I'm really surprised theres not a lot of trees and decorations in NH. Here they turned the mall into winter wonderland, all way over done with giant baubles hanging all over. Where we go theres a full size sleigh with Santa sitting in it for kids to get their pictures done. Christmas music the works
OK..question...

do you think its wise that someone who lost half of a kidney 2 months ago, drank approx 1 1/2 bottle of realllllllly wonderful red wine this afternoon with some really wonderful friends that "they" are going to miss dearly when "they" move back to England?????? ...(innocent look),,,
Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh really? I had no idea about that. I always use my UK passport when I get home to save me the hassle of waiting in the longer line. And then on the way back I use my US passport. Yikes!

I'm going back in Spring. If I go missing, someone check Gitmo.

DDL, glad you don't have to go out. My in-laws are in Southport, which is generally milder than most of the north, but they got 16 inches of snow today!
LOL..thats funny...ohoh Obama was gonna shut down gitmo member..?? we will check Alcatraz..if you are missing in action..
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
OK..question...

do you think its wise that someone who lost half of a kidney 2 months ago, drank approx 1 1/2 bottle of realllllllly wonderful red wine this afternoon with some really wonderful friends that "they" are going to miss dearly when "they" move back to England?????? ...(innocent look),,,
haha probably not wise but hey who cares at this stage of the game!! Hope it was nice.
Trotty when i was in Leicester the Christmas tree was up in the town center it arrives from Norway every year........ the Christmas lights were up, strung across the streets and the Christmas music was playing and that was November 22nd when I left there.

There is not a single Christmas light to be seen provided by the town I live in here in NH. Not a one.

Wow Tina had no idea either you are actually on your way to France already OMG, have a wonderful time with your families.........aw sounds lovely.
Your Hubby work for a french Company? so does mine, wouldnt that be something if it was the same one!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:04 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

OK..question...

Probably not the wisest thing to do from a medical point of view, I don't think, but then luckily for you I'm not a doctor.

From a psychological point of view if it makes you happy then you have done the right thing, I am sure recovering from cancer you need to keep all thoughts positive and surely the wine and the wonderful friends will have helped there today.........

Hey and at least your friends will have somewhere to stay when they visit the UK and you can be their own little local tour guide.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

OK..question...

Isn't red wine good for you? You didn't drink 1 1/2 bottles by yourself, did you?
'Prost' is what I say - sounds like you're in happy Christmas spirits........
Old Dec 19th 2010, 12:05 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I have only just checked my gmail account after about 4 days and have received this 2 days ago:

Just a note: cannot post from slow system at public library - I am fine. No problems, will post when I get this sorted out. Please let the BE group know I arrived safely and am settling into my new digs in Snowy Frome - we had snow again today, more predicted.

Rosie
Old Dec 19th 2010, 1:01 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Oh I'm jealous - real Christmas specials - no the ad-hoc ones the US TV stations/programs do
I was never a big fan of the Christmas specials on American telly, but I don't think you can beat our classic Christmas films like "White Christmas", It's a Wonderful Life", "The Bishop's Wife" (one of my all-time favourites), and "A Christmas Story" (brilliant - the one with 'Ralphie' and his Red Ryder BB gun).

I also adore "The Polar Express", mainly because my grandfather was a Conductor for the Burlington Railroad out of Chicago and I have such fond memories of riding on the train with him.

There's so many more I like that are connected with my childhood. I've been on YouTube lately watching them. Makes me all warm and cuddly feeling inside.

It's Sunday afternoon and we're sat around the telly right now watching "Noddy's 50 Best Xmas Songs". Really enjoying this, and I'm seeing loads of songs I've never heard of before!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 1:09 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I love Noddy Holder!

Agreed about the films - they're great.

Is their a Royle Family Christmas special this year?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 1:12 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl

There is not a single Christmas light to be seen provided by the town I live in here in NH. Not a one.
Wow, I'm really surprised. Our little town has lights everywhere. I guess it all comes down to budget. We certainly pay enough in property taxes to pay for these lights
Old Dec 19th 2010, 1:19 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by trottytrue
DDL...Could you give some information on how you think the UK approaches Christmas. By that I mean do they have trees up, sing carols in the shopping areas have lights up in the town. Do people Wish you a Merry Christmas. The food and TV programs tell us all about it. Just want to feast on it.

Trotty, although I'm originally from Chicago, I lived in South Carolina (the Bible Belt) for over 30 years. You might imagine that the main holiday focus there was always on the spiritual aspect of Christmas. To the point - for me, anyway - of excess.

Certainly don't see that here and as far as I'm concerned, that's perfectly fine with me!

Yes, decorations are around but there's been a lot of debate lately about how local councils can justify the cost of decorations this year when many of them are laying off workers*.

I saw a small Salvation Army band on the high street the other day and, of course, television is awash with All and Everything Christmas.

I personally have not experienced any clerks wishing me a Merry Christmas. Maybe they're just all too frazzled.

If you'd like a bit of holiday cheer, here's a link to a few pictures I took a week or so ago on the High Street in Shepperton. This is a public link and should work for anyone but if you have a Facebook account, I think you might have to log-off before you can view them: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=b18580f8aa

*My brother-in-law has been told that his position at the Council is being made redundant but he - and loads of others there - have no clue yet whether they themselves will be staying or going. It's a terrible time of year to do this to employees.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 1:30 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Is their a Royle Family Christmas special this year?

Sure is! So far, here's our viewing schedule for Christmas Day:

5:00 The One Ronnie
6:00 Dr. Who
7:00 Strictly Come Dancing
8:00 EastEnders
9:00 Royle Family
10:00 Come Fly With Me (the new Matt Lucas and David Walliams series, based on the Airport shows)
11:00 Miranda

I've also seen an advert for the My Family Christmas special, but that's on Christmas Eve, together with QI, Have I Got News For You, and Graham Norton.

And god knows what else.

Old Dec 19th 2010, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DDL
Sure is! So far, here's our viewing schedule for Christmas Day:

5:00 The One Ronnie
6:00 Dr. Who
7:00 Strictly Come Dancing
8:00 EastEnders
9:00 Royle Family
10:00 Come Fly With Me (the new Matt Lucas and David Walliams series, based on the Airport shows)
11:00 Miranda

I've also seen an advert for the My Family Christmas special, but that's on Christmas Eve, together with QI, Have I Got News For You, and Graham Norton.

And god knows what else.

It's a good job I can escape to my own room,as I find those programmes so
depressing.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
I was never a big fan of the Christmas specials on American telly, but I don't think you can beat our classic Christmas films like "White Christmas", It's a Wonderful Life", "The Bishop's Wife" (one of my all-time favourites), and "A Christmas Story" (brilliant - the one with 'Ralphie' and his Red Ryder BB gun).

I also adore "The Polar Express", mainly because my grandfather was a Conductor for the Burlington Railroad out of Chicago and I have such fond memories of riding on the train with him.

There's so many more I like that are connected with my childhood. I've been on YouTube lately watching them. Makes me all warm and cuddly feeling inside.

It's Sunday afternoon and we're sat around the telly right now watching "Noddy's 50 Best Xmas Songs". Really enjoying this, and I'm seeing loads of songs I've never heard of before!

Trust me it's not the Christmas films I am complaining about - except for maybe the fact they are shown early in December or late November instead of closer to Christmas. I try to catch them all if I can.

There are occasionally Christmas Specials here in the US that are OK - but again they are shown late November or early December - not during the true Christmas season. But that goes back to how Christmas is celebrated in the two countries - here in the US it seems to be from Thanksgiving to Christmas Day - with many Christmas trees being discarded in the US on the 26th - whereas in the UK Christmas seems to really starts on Christmas Eve and go through until at least New Years Eve and in some places 12th Night. Boxing Day is as big a celebration as Christmas Day is to many people in the UK!!

And love Noddy Holder - please tell me Slade's big hit was on the list -"Merry christmas Everyone" - it is a classic IMHO!!!

Last edited by Lorac05; Dec 19th 2010 at 2:33 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Yes, Sally, I think there should be some sort of honorary citizenship, for people who have contributed so much to the country, as you obviously have,and I'm sure many other Brits living here (including me)--without having to renounce our home country or swear allegiance to the US.
A truly permanent residency that isn't renewable, as the green card is now, but just lasts for ever and is like being a citizen without having to swear that oath.

Tina
I agree totally! I hate that oath. It was so depressed the day I took citizenship - had to for my job. If there was anything written that said I would have had to give up my UK passport, job or no job, I would have walked out. I know where my loyalties lie - always have.

I can't honestly remember if the words were the same when I took the oath but I know it was a sad day for me.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 2:47 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Lorac05
But that goes back to how Christmas is celebrated in the two countries - here in the US it seems to be from Thanksgiving to Christmas Day - with many Christmas trees being discarded in the US on the 26th - whereas in the UK Christmas seems to really starts on Christmas Eve and go through until at least New Years Eve and in some places 12th Night. Boxing Day is as big a celebration as Christmas Day is to many people in the UK!!
Well, I don't know how long you've been away from the UK, but here in the London area, Christmas stuff was already being put out in the shops in early November.

And love Noddy Holder - please tell me Slade's big hit was on the list -"Merry christmas Everyone" - it is a classic IMHO!!!
It was indeed. #1. But then again, he was the host of the show!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.